Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Quick question on colour temperature ...

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Quick question on colour temperature ...
on: August 19, 2013, 03:34:36 PM
... normally not something that would interest me, but I'm building some custom lighting units for the boat  :D What is 6000k? Will that be a warm white or cool white?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Quick question on colour temperature ...
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 03:54:29 PM
CCT 6000k is generally regarded as a cool(ish) white light.  But CRI is usually of more importance than CCT, especially if seeing colours correctly is important (the higher the number CRI the better).  If you want to investigate further there is lots of info over at cpf (candlepower forums).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 04:00:13 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 04:26:22 PM
CCT 6000k is generally regarded as a cool(ish) white light.  But CRI is usually of more importance than CCT, especially if seeing colours correctly is important (the higher the number CRI the better).  If you want to investigate further there is lots of info over at cpf (candlepower forums).

Cheers mate  :tu:

That should be enough info for me thanks Greg  :tu: I have two 5m reels of SMD ribbon, one of which is known to be warm white and the other specifying 6000k. If the 6000k is a cooler/sharper light, they'll be my primaries with the warm ones used for softening and for separate mood lighting options. I just wanted to make sure it would be reasonably balanced before I started  :)

:cheers:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 07:09:35 AM
Usually for torches people like 4500K as it is believed to give the most actually useable light, as far as I remember from CPF and BLF.

Of course it all depends whether you want just light or to create a "mood" too.

led-color-temperature.jpg
* led-color-temperature.jpg (Filesize: 49.05 KB)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 12:42:42 AM
Thanks for that D  :tu: I went out into the street the other night and played with a couple off my car battery  :D The 6000k are very similar to the ones shown second from the top on the chart, and throw out a good amount of light for "doing stuff", and the "warm" ones seem somewhere between the 3500k and 4000k, perfect for a softer light effect

I'm setting up varying light levels in a couple of areas with a 4 gang switch operating two ceiling lights with 4 independantly switched LED clusters in each light and the light levels vary by how many switches you turn on. I'm also having low level lighting in warm white for less intrusive lighting. The ceiling lights themselves are deep woden picture frames mounted on mirror plates. An unusual look, but one that should work well with the quirky layout  ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD