Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Ranger Owner's Club

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Vic Ranger Owner's Club
on: August 25, 2013, 03:20:38 AM
Hey all,
I figured I'd start this club in the spirit of the fact that there are many MT/SAK owner's clubs here, and I don't think there's one for the Ranger.  I've found I'm really digging my new ruby Ranger Plus, and my Yeochamp may get a bit jealous ;)  So, who here is a proud owner of this excellent SAK?  It probably goes without saying that pics are always welcome :D

K-Tibbs

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Vic Ranger Owner's Club
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 03:27:36 AM
count me in buddy
001.JPG
* 001.JPG (Filesize: 134.93 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 03:29:43 AM
You're in my man :salute:
K-Tibbs

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 05:15:29 AM
My Ranger, with after-market ruby scales, survived more than a year as my EDC. This was when I was still more-or-less working construction full-time. If I had known about this forum back then, I probably would have done a 30 Day Challenge featuring this poor thing. It's seen some almighty horrors, I tell you what.

You can see the slightly re-profiled tip after a stint cutting painter's tape out from under the edge of a new wall...along a concrete floor.

I only stopped carrying this one regularly when I started teaching more, and I decided to find something slimmer (though, ironically, the Forester was a longer knife). The Ranger is a good time, and has phenomenal tool density.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 05:54:58 AM
I really like the Ranger, it was the first larger knife I decided to carry in my organizer bag.  It later got bumped a bit by the Cybetool Lite, but ultimately with changing bags and my on-person EDC the Spirit really pushed it aside. However; I still really like it and I can see returning to it one day for more regular carry.

However this thread made me realize I don't know where my user Ranger is.  It's supposed to be in my Neat-Freak, but it's not there.  Which means I probably pulled it out to use the file and it didn't get back in there or I put it in some other small kit that I've forgotten about.  Looking for it though I did find my AAA Lithium backup carrier that has been missing for a while, so I'm quite happy about that.

I have a Ranger question for those that have newer Rangers; Does anyone have a Ranger with the latest Stainless Steel File/Saw?    I want a Ranger with this updated tool.

Pictures when I can find the Ranger.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 05:56:32 AM
Nice one Jothra :tu:  After reading your 30 day challenge with Vicky, I can only imagine what that poor Ranger experienced over the course of a year :o  I would have loved to have read a 30 day challenge for it though.
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 06:00:53 AM
I really like the Ranger, it was the first larger knife I decided to carry in my organizer bag.  It later got bumped a bit by the Cybetool Lite, but ultimately with changing bags and my on-person EDC the Spirit really pushed it aside. However; I still really like it and I can see returning to it one day for more regular carry.

However this thread made me realize I don't know where my user Ranger is.  It's supposed to be in my Neat-Freak, but it's not there.  Which means I probably pulled it out to use the file and it didn't get back in there or I put it in some other small kit that I've forgotten about.  Looking for it though I did find my AAA Lithium backup carrier that has been missing for a while, so I'm quite happy about that.

I have a Ranger question for those that have newer Rangers; Does anyone have a Ranger with the latest Stainless Steel File/Saw?    I want a Ranger with this updated tool.

I'm not sure what the difference in the files is, but I'm assuming mine's a newer one, unless the seller has had the various Rangers for a long time.  I also have one on my Syph custom Yeochamp that he provided, and it looks to be the same as the one on my new Ranger. 
K-Tibbs

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 06:08:02 AM
Nice one Jothra :tu:  After reading your 30 day challenge with Vicky, I can only imagine what that poor Ranger experienced over the course of a year :o  I would have loved to have read a 30 day challenge for it though.

In retrospect, I would love to have written one. In some ways, the Ranger had it worse, but at least I never hit it with a hammer.

Based on the tang markings and the approximate time I purchased it, mine must have the stainless steel metal file/saw. I've never used one of the older ones.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 10:07:02 AM
I have an old Ranger, but found it too big for comfortable EDC, so now I carry a Deluxe Tinker in a belt pouch, a Classic on my key ring and for heavy duty cutting a S&W Swat 3.25 inch assisted opener in my pocket. BTW, IMHO the S&W 3.25 Swat AO is the best AO around for the $$$. Well made, opens and locks up
tightly, holds a fantastic edge. It comes in several lengths to suit your taste as well as serrated blade option.

Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 02:09:16 PM
I have a Vic Ranger in my left front pocket as I'm writing this. :D

Excellent tool density (I really like having the small screwdriver on the back of the saw), nice thickness for my hand and its weight is somewhere around what I think is max comfortable pocket carry.  :tu:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 05:00:15 PM
I have an older style Ranger without the hook for EDC, only bigger SAK that sees regular carry. I love that thing. :D It got new black clothes some time ago.

Offline marduk

Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 07:53:59 PM

I picked up mine w/the new metal file/saw in Europe. It comes w/the image of the tent &  CAMPING on the scale. I don't think those sold in North America come w/the image.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 01:31:27 AM
I have a Vic Ranger in my left front pocket as I'm writing this. :D

Excellent tool density (I really like having the small screwdriver on the back of the saw), nice thickness for my hand and its weight is somewhere around what I think is max comfortable pocket carry.  :tu:

Mine's in my right front pocket right now ;)  I think it's as big of a SAK as I'd be willing to pocket carry.  It's funny too, because I used to think a 3 layer would be my limit ::)

I have an older style Ranger without the hook for EDC, only bigger SAK that sees regular carry. I love that thing. :D It got new black clothes some time ago.

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice one Enki, I like the black :tu: 
K-Tibbs

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 05:32:05 AM
Yeah, that black is keen. I tried my Ranger in blue once, but it never really seemed to fit.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 01:04:59 PM

Mine's in my right front pocket right now ;)  I think it's as big of a SAK as I'd be willing to pocket carry.  It's funny too, because I used to think a 3 layer would be my limit ::)

I carried an Astronaut as EDC for ages,and likewise thought it was about as big as could be senseably carried and used...then I got a SwissChamp  :facepalm:

I honestly believe that a SuperTinker covers all my EDC bases...can remember the last time one got carry time :think:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 01:06:06 AM

I carried an Astronaut as EDC for ages,and likewise thought it was about as big as could be senseably carried and used...then I got a SwissChamp  :facepalm:

I honestly believe that a SuperTinker covers all my EDC bases...can remember the last time one got carry time :think:

I've been tempted by the SwissChamp before, but just really think it's too much for a SAK (imo).  Not that I couldn't change my mind once I handled one, but I don't know if I ever will :think:
K-Tibbs

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 01:19:36 AM
I own two Vic Rangers. I keep one in the car so no pics of that at the moment. The one shown here stays at home in its nylon scales for a long-term test.

This is the heaviest SAK on which I've used the knife blades extensively and I'm kind of wondering if anybody else thinks that the Ranger's weight has an impact on its cutting capacity. 
Ranger.JPG
* Ranger.JPG (Filesize: 262.56 KB)
Ranger1.JPG
* Ranger1.JPG (Filesize: 274.11 KB)
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 02:36:35 AM
Nice Ranger Firiki :tu:  I've never heard of or considered the weight to be a factor in its cutting capacity, but perhaps it is?  I really wouldn't know...interesting question though :think:
K-Tibbs

gr Offline firiki

Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 12:09:18 PM
Nice Ranger Firiki :tu:  I've never heard of or considered the weight to be a factor in its cutting capacity, but perhaps it is?  I really wouldn't know...interesting question though :think:

Thanks Mon. I really love red nylon scales so it just made sense I *ahem* modded  :facepalm: my beater Ranger. Now, to find out more about weight affecting blade efficiency...

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 02:57:49 PM

Thanks Mon. I really love red nylon scales so it just made sense I *ahem* modded  :facepalm: my beater Ranger. Now, to find out more about weight affecting blade efficiency...

I've never handled the nylon scales, but I also seem to remember not hearing a lot of positivity towards them (not all necessarily from this site) in various reviews.  Well your mod job looks fine to me :tu:  I'm curious about the weight thing, you'll have to keep my posted.  The Ranger is the heaviest SAK I have, but only by .1oz, so nothing to get used to.  My two customs are 4.0oz and 4.1oz, so the Ranger at 4.2oz isn't bad. 
K-Tibbs

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 06:10:29 AM
Right now in a pouch on my right hip is my Ranger, I really like this SAK.
Overall I think that my Cybertool is better when I'm working on computers, but I'm no longer working as a computer technician so my Cybertool is sitting on my computer desk very close to where I am right now.

The Ranger has a really good mix of tools including a file which is a lot more useful than many realise - need to grind a little plastic/wood/metal to make something fit better? Yeah, the Ranger can handle that.
Going camping?  Take the Vic Ranger and you will be well covered for useful tools!

The size of the Ranger is no biggie to me, in fact it is noticeably slimmer & lighter than my Cybertool.  In a pouch I don't even find my SwissTool X to be too heavy or big.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #21 on: September 07, 2013, 06:59:14 AM
Right now in a pouch on my right hip is my Ranger, I really like this SAK.
Overall I think that my Cybertool is better when I'm working on computers, but I'm no longer working as a computer technician so my Cybertool is sitting on my computer desk very close to where I am right now.

The Ranger has a really good mix of tools including a file which is a lot more useful than many realise - need to grind a little plastic/wood/metal to make something fit better? Yeah, the Ranger can handle that.
Going camping?  Take the Vic Ranger and you will be well covered for useful tools!

The size of the Ranger is no biggie to me, in fact it is noticeably slimmer & lighter than my Cybertool.  In a pouch I don't even find my SwissTool X to be too heavy or big.

Welcome to the club KiwiMark :cheers:  I agree, the Ranger is pretty well equipped without being overly bulky/heavy :tu:  Got any pics? :pok:
K-Tibbs

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #22 on: September 07, 2013, 08:54:45 AM
Got any pics? :pok:

Well, mine is just the stock standard red celidor model.
Not so much a fashion model, more a useful & versatile tool.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 11:13:55 PM
 :pok: So?
 :worthless:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 02:03:18 AM
K-Tibbs

gr Offline firiki

Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 02:20:54 PM
I've never handled the nylon scales, but I also seem to remember not hearing a lot of positivity towards them (not all necessarily from this site) in various reviews.  Well your mod job looks fine to me :tu:  I'm curious about the weight thing, you'll have to keep my posted. 
I'll need to do some serious search on the weight thing but I'm curious as well, so I'll let you know, no problem :tu:

As per nylon scales, I am aware that not many people like them and I understand that; they feel cheap compared to cellidor or alox ones. Me, I really dig how they are grippier* and tougher than cellidor and that deep red looks great to me.

*I tend to have sweaty hands at times and it's really annoying  >:( , hence my appreciation for those scales.
  :cheers:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 02:50:37 PM
I've never handled the nylon scales, but I also seem to remember not hearing a lot of positivity towards them (not all necessarily from this site) in various reviews.  Well your mod job looks fine to me :tu:  I'm curious about the weight thing, you'll have to keep my posted. 
I'll need to do some serious search on the weight thing but I'm curious as well, so I'll let you know, no problem :tu:

As per nylon scales, I am aware that not many people like them and I understand that; they feel cheap compared to cellidor or alox ones. Me, I really dig how they are grippier* and tougher than cellidor and that deep red looks great to me.

*I tend to have sweaty hands at times and it's really annoying  >:( , hence my appreciation for those scales.
  :cheers:

I've heard the nylon is grippier as you said, which I would like too.  I would also like the fact they're tougher as cellidor does seem to scratch easily.  I remember when I still had my black Explorer, my wife knocked it off the kitchen counter (:twak:) and it got a noticeable dig on the back scale.  It almost looked like it had landed directly on a tiny pebble and embedded into it.  It was only like a 3-4 foot drop, so it seemed a bit much to me. 
K-Tibbs

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 12:33:57 AM
I like the nylon. It ages spectacularly well. If all of Victorinox's nylon scales had engraved logos like the OH Forester and its ilk, I'd be even happier.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 01:48:19 AM
Nylon scales wear much better than cellidor, however I've found that at least with stayglow ones, the painted on cross wears off. When that happens you can harvest the metal cross from cellidor scales and inlay it into the nylon.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #29 on: September 10, 2013, 02:31:38 PM
I've heard the nylon is grippier as you said, which I would like too.  I would also like the fact they're tougher as cellidor does seem to scratch easily.  I remember when I still had my black Explorer, my wife knocked it off the kitchen counter (:twak:) and it got a noticeable dig on the back scale.  It almost looked like it had landed directly on a tiny pebble and embedded into it.  It was only like a 3-4 foot drop, so it seemed a bit much to me.
They are much grippier. Someone in these forums (don't remember who ATM) also said that you can even enhance that effect by using sandpaper on them but I haven't tried that. I think you should give them a try. Cellidor can take some beating but it does tend to lose entire bits when dropped. This makes me anxious when using my Vic Handyman that wears cellidor, being anxious makes my hands sweat, which brings us back to nylon  :D

you can harvest the metal cross from cellidor scales and inlay it into the nylon.
That sounds interesting. How do you do that, please?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD