Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Self Sufficient computer repair and maintenance

detron · 402 · 62142

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Re: Self Sufficient computer repair and maintenance
Reply #90 on: October 22, 2013, 07:01:53 PM
Well I have finally installed Windows 7 onto this net-book but not without much pain and suffering. I tried a repair and recovery install from the recovery partition but it froze partway thru the start-up setup for first time use and after that it went into an eternal failed to boot loop. After reading online some tips I was able to do a fresh install of Win7 from an iso image file placed onto a USB drive. The install pretty much went without any problems, except I did fail to remove the boot-able USB the first time and went thru the instal again.

OK so here is a question for you;
When I was finishing the Win7 Home Premium install on a net-book that had Win7 Starter I clicked the "Skip" button when it asked for the product key, since the COA sticker is almost unreadable looking like it had been wet before. I found a product key finder to search the "Windows-old" file that was saved from the install. It found a product key and was identified as from a Win7 Starter product. Should I put that old product key for Win7 Starter into the Win7 Home Premium? I have read there would be compatibility issues.

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #91 on: October 22, 2013, 07:11:39 PM
Well I have finally installed Windows 7 onto this net-book but not without much pain and suffering. I tried a repair and recovery install from the recovery partition but it froze partway thru the start-up setup for first time use and after that it went into an eternal failed to boot loop. After reading online some tips I was able to do a fresh install of Win7 from an iso image file placed onto a USB drive. The install pretty much went without any problems, except I did fail to remove the boot-able USB the first time and went thru the instal again.

OK so here is a question for you;
When I was finishing the Win7 Home Premium install on a net-book that had Win7 Starter I clicked the "Skip" button when it asked for the product key, since the COA sticker is almost unreadable looking like it had been wet before. I found a product key finder to search the "Windows-old" file that was saved from the install. It found a product key and was identified as from a Win7 Starter product. Should I put that old product key for Win7 Starter into the Win7 Home Premium? I have read there would be compatibility issues.

Never tried that but I would imagine it would either reject it or remove features.

Since Microsoft added the "anytime upgrade"  features are enabled or disabled based on product key.

Glad you made it this far,  but that activation is going to be your next hurdle,   on Linux that would not be an issue
:bdh:

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

If I can help, let me know 

• No Life Club
Reply #92 on: October 22, 2013, 07:50:32 PM
OK, well after a late night messing with it I will probably wait until later this week to see what happens. I am thinking about dual booting a Linux distro as a backup plan. Maybe Puppy Linux since I hear it is made for boxes with low power and memory. Thanks  :salute:

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #93 on: October 22, 2013, 07:54:58 PM
OK, well after a late night messing with it I will probably wait until later this week to see what happens. I am thinking about dual booting a Linux distro as a backup plan. Maybe Puppy Linux since I hear it is made for boxes with low power and memory. Thanks  :salute:

I have a computer geek buddy that runs his business on Puppy Linux and a Pentium 2.  I know right?  He uses it daily for everyday things like invoicing, chatting, some coding, etc.  I tried it but it was alittle too basic for me at the time.

Check out Distrowatch.com and you can get alot of good reading and links to downloading any linux you want. :)

us Offline detron

Reply #94 on: October 22, 2013, 07:55:42 PM

Puppy is nice, but if you want a more robust distro, you could use xubuntu, heck Mint 15 cinnamon might run right out of the box, (check the RAM you have versus required)
one issue with distros like puppy is they are so stripped down.

good luck, and if you have issues with Linux, that is more of my area than Windows.

us Offline detron

Reply #95 on: October 22, 2013, 07:57:42 PM

I have a computer geek buddy that runs his business on Puppy Linux and a Pentium 2.  I know right?  He uses it daily for everyday things like invoicing, chatting, some coding, etc.  I tried it but it was alittle too basic for me at the time.

Check out Distrowatch.com and you can get alot of good reading and links to downloading any linux you want. :)

Thanks Mike, 

yeah, I love distrowatch  I love that in the Linux world I can try tons of different OSes without buying them all.  I do donate to the ones I use, and would be willing to pay for the distro if I had too.

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: October 22, 2013, 08:05:12 PM
I have used Ubuntu and Mint before on an older PC with Pentium 3 and low memory. It was slow but it did run. I have read that any "Cinnamon" flavored Linux distro might be too much for the "Atom" processor. I am not real solid in using Linux but also am not afraid to try it. Any tips for a Linux newbie? I have an older PC with an AMD processor that is probably around 2ghz and about 1 gig in ram. Thinking about turning it into a Linux box.

us Offline detron

Reply #97 on: October 22, 2013, 08:26:35 PM
I have used Ubuntu and Mint before on an older PC with Pentium 3 and low memory. It was slow but it did run. I have read that any "Cinnamon" flavored Linux distro might be too much for the "Atom" processor. I am not real solid in using Linux but also am not afraid to try it. Any tips for a Linux newbie? I have an older PC with an AMD processor that is probably around 2ghz and about 1 gig in ram. Thinking about turning it into a Linux box.

Ubuntu,  mint,  are very user friendly.   Hard to say.   I like Sabayon too.

New user mint is probably neck and neck with Ubuntu

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #98 on: October 31, 2013, 05:08:01 PM
More of a hardware solution: if you want to mute your computer all the way:

Just cut off the 3,5mm jack plug off an old pair of headphones, and stick it in the audio-out port. It'll silence out all sounds, but one specific one, I believe :)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #99 on: October 31, 2013, 06:13:58 PM
actually, I have the reverse, I leave my headphones in all the time in the front jack, and speakers in the rear jack. When I want my speakers I turn the power on (they're amplified)

In linux I had little trouble getting it to always work... windows was a PITA to sort... it wants one or the other...  :facepalm:
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline detron

Reply #100 on: October 31, 2013, 06:16:19 PM
actually, I have the reverse, I leave my headphones in all the time in the front jack, and speakers in the rear jack. When I want my speakers I turn the power on (they're amplified)

In linux I had little trouble getting it to always work... windows was a PITA to sort... it wants one or the other...  :facepalm:

Ahhh,   wonderful Linux!   One day the muggles will understand

us Offline detron

Reply #101 on: March 10, 2014, 01:38:37 AM
I know Linux is not for everyone,  but $2,400 training for free?  take a peek

$2,400 “Introduction to Linux” course will be free and online this summer

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/03/2400-introduction-to-linux-course-will-be-free-and-online-this-summer/

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #102 on: March 10, 2014, 01:50:23 AM
Oh wow, thanks for posting that Detron!!  This is something that I'll most definitely be interested in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #103 on: March 10, 2014, 01:51:17 AM
Thanks for posting! :D

us Offline detron

Reply #104 on: March 10, 2014, 02:01:41 AM
I think it is an awesome thing,  I personally love Linux, and can do so many things with it, without requiring constant purchases.

any free class might be enough to help people decide on their own.

us Offline Cogito

Reply #105 on: March 15, 2014, 06:34:56 AM
I think it's slightly related to this and might be useful to someone.  A couple months ago my mom called me over because she had gotten a call from Microsoft about one of our computers being "hacked".

I talked to this Indian tech support guy on the phone and I asked him which computer and he couldn't tell me (so now I'm thinking something is up).  And on top of that I've never heard of Microsoft calling people before.

Then he asks me to go on Google to install teamviewer and then I knew right away it was a scam.  Because 1 if he was really from Microsoft he would have asked me to go on Bing! and 2 teamviewer would give him complete access to the computer.

Then I told him that I knew he was trying to scam my mom and that he should be ashamed.  He tried to pass it off like he wasn't and then he hung up.

us Offline detron

Reply #106 on: March 15, 2014, 05:19:48 PM
I think it's slightly related to this and might be useful to someone.  A couple months ago my mom called me over because she had gotten a call from Microsoft about one of our computers being "hacked".

I talked to this Indian tech support guy on the phone and I asked him which computer and he couldn't tell me (so now I'm thinking something is up).  And on top of that I've never heard of Microsoft calling people before.

Then he asks me to go on Google to install teamviewer and then I knew right away it was a scam.  Because 1 if he was really from Microsoft he would have asked me to go on Bing! and 2 teamviewer would give him complete access to the computer.

Then I told him that I knew he was trying to scam my mom and that he should be ashamed.  He tried to pass it off like he wasn't and then he hung up.

this does happen, and it is called social engineering.  it is a real threat in offices too.  someone shows up wearing clothes that match the company that provides (fill in the blank service) and some secretary or mail room clerk unlocks doors for them.

you really want to get someone to let you on their work computer?  try showing up with a computer toolkit, and say, "we have hard reports the computers are sort of slow in this building"  50% of the people will agree no matter what.

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #107 on: March 25, 2014, 11:35:04 AM
Is this thread only a collection of tips or can I ask a computer question, too?
If it is not okay, I will delet this question ASAP.

I ran into a problem on the weekend. I installed Win7 on a second-hand PC. Everythin runs fine except the onboard network card. "unknown device" in the hardware manager.
Ok, I download the newest drivers from the motherboard company. Install them.
I now have a correct installed network driver and  a new "unknown network device" (the name was slightly different) gets added!  :o
Win7 accepted no driver for this, no matter what I tried.

To recap: First no network card driver is installed, I have 1 unknown device.
Then I install the driver (I tried manual and the autoinstall), the 1 unknown device gets a name, but then a new 'unknown device' gets added automatically.
The dial-in program from the ISP aborts installation "because no Network card is found"

Anyone got an idea what I could try?

us Offline detron

Reply #108 on: March 25, 2014, 11:48:15 AM
Is this thread only a collection of tips or can I ask a computer question, too?
If it is not okay, I will delet this question ASAP.

I ran into a problem on the weekend. I installed Win7 on a second-hand PC. Everythin runs fine except the onboard network card. "unknown device" in the hardware manager.
Ok, I download the newest drivers from the motherboard company. Install them.
I now have a correct installed network driver and  a new "unknown network device" (the name was slightly different) gets added!  :o
Win7 accepted no driver for this, no matter what I tried.

To recap: First no network card driver is installed, I have 1 unknown device.
Then I install the driver (I tried manual and the autoinstall), the 1 unknown device gets a name, but then a new 'unknown device' gets added automatically.
The dial-in program from the ISP aborts installation "because no Network card is found"

Anyone got an idea what I could try?

You could try booting a linux cd.  If the network adapter works, you will know it is not a hardware issue,  and you can get information about it to help solve the windows issue

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 01:01:17 PM by detron »

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #109 on: March 25, 2014, 11:51:45 AM
Be sure you got the correct driver for the LAN card. I have a few Mainboards that have a few different network card options available so I have to be sure which driver to put in place.

Are you sure the network adapter works? (it is a 2nd hand board as you say)

In Windows device manager try removing and redetecting the device once you have the driver disk available and point windows to the drivers when it asks.

Another more complicated option would be if you have another network card available try that and then remove/redetect the one that's not working correctly and allow windows to try and find the correct driver when it actually has a connection.

Detron's advice is also good, using an ubuntu or other liveCD is a good way to test the hardware.

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #110 on: March 25, 2014, 12:49:13 PM
Thank you for those suggestions. I will try Ubuntu as well as a seperat network card next time. Maybe this will give me more clues.

us Offline Cogito

Reply #111 on: March 27, 2014, 01:00:10 AM
Thank you for those suggestions. I will try Ubuntu as well as a seperat network card next time. Maybe this will give me more clues.

I have a bunch of problems on my computer and I happen to have the one you do also.

Instead of fiddling with it too much I bought a wifi card instead and the downside is it uses up a usb port, but at least I have internet now.  I bought a fancy wifi card that was more expensive, but you can get a cheap usb wifi card for $5-$10 on ebay.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #112 on: April 01, 2014, 11:45:16 AM
Here's a little tip for young (and not so young) players.

DON'T buy a 3TB drive before finding out if your computer can talk to it. :facepalm:

if it's a couple of years old, it probably can't  :rant:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #113 on: April 01, 2014, 11:53:20 AM
Internal bios issues or OS?

You could possibly rehome it in an external case which should work.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #114 on: April 01, 2014, 12:28:01 PM
BIOS based mobo is the (main) problem. Needs to be a UFIE board for windoze to see more than 2.2TB.

It IS an external drive and I've tried it internally as well.

I have two options... Spend about $500 on a new board and CPU but this kit is only a couple of years old and it's "only" a media PC.
or bite the bullet, put the $138 drive on the shelf and go buy a 2TB one. I'm liking that option, it's 1/5 the cost.

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #115 on: April 01, 2014, 01:04:21 PM
BIOS based mobo is the (main) problem. Needs to be a UFIE board for windoze to see more than 2.2TB.

It IS an external drive and I've tried it internally as well.

I have two options... Spend about $500 on a new board and CPU but this kit is only a couple of years old and it's "only" a media PC.
or bite the bullet, put the $138 drive on the shelf and go buy a 2TB one. I'm liking that option, it's 1/5 the cost.

You have my sympathies! I had this on a smaller scale, my (now 10 years old) camera does only accept SD cards up to 256 MB...

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #116 on: April 01, 2014, 01:07:27 PM
while I can't speak for your exact case, but many years ago when my PC bios couldn't handle the size of the new disk I tried to add, I could however format it to a smaller size that the bios would recognize.

Alternately slapping the drive in a D-link Sharecenter (or similar) enclosure and using it as a NAS disk instead may also be a good solution.

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #117 on: April 29, 2014, 03:15:33 PM

I have a bunch of problems on my computer and I happen to have the one you do also.

Instead of fiddling with it too much I bought a wifi card instead and the downside is it uses up a usb port, but at least I have internet now.  I bought a fancy wifi card that was more expensive, but you can get a cheap usb wifi card for $5-$10 on ebay.

It took some time (I am not at my parents' so often) but today I installed a new LAN-card. And I am posting from this PC now!   :D
Thank you all for your advice!  :tu:

us Offline detron

Reply #118 on: April 29, 2014, 03:17:17 PM

It took some time (I am not at my parents' so often) but today I installed a new LAN-card. And I am posting from this PC now!   :D
Thank you all for your advice!  :tu:

Great,  glad someone had a similar issue and was able to shed some light

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #119 on: April 29, 2014, 10:46:05 PM
I figure the on-board LAN was busted. I installed a new LAN-Card (making it the second LAN connector). Win7 correctly installed this one. I deactivated the on-board one in the hardware manager and now it works. Mission accomplished.  :D

The biggest problem was finding the correct card (PCIExpress small or something like this. A photo helped at the PC store  ;) ).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%