Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Self Defense

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: Self Defense
Reply #30 on: October 06, 2013, 04:21:48 AM
It also helps not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time...
SAW

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: October 06, 2013, 06:10:13 AM
Nhoj's self defense decision process

Am I walking my great dane? If no...

Try to look alert and confident. If you still end up in a bad situation...

Run away. If you can't...

Kick them in the groin then runaway. If you can't...

Do anything possible to escape or win.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: October 06, 2013, 09:28:11 AM
When I lived in SA ,I worked as a cashier in a 24hr shop,on the nightshift. I had pepper spray that was illegal in twenty odd American States,as well as being utterly illegal in the UK;wore steel toecaped safety boots;carried a Buck style lock knife,and had a baseball bat under the counter.

Everything but the knife seen use :ahhh

Back in the real world...

I'm very glad to see the number of people championing the Rincewind approach,as well as the vital sense of awareness. Whether its bee in the UK or SA,I trust my gut...if something feels wrong,it probably is!

The thing I have noted is this though...regardless of the weapon system(knife,gun martial arts),it isn't the dog in the fight,it's the fight in the dog. I've known people with martial arts training be useless,because when confronted,they froze,and failed to use what they had.

The rule that was trotted out in SA was if you don't use the weapon your holding,it WILL be used on you!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: October 06, 2013, 10:16:26 PM
Be situationally aware . Don't go to stupid places, with stupid people , and win stupid prizes . Get off the X ( sidestep , don't go toe to toe ) . Avoid going to ground ( use walls , parked vehicles , fences to advantage - try to propel the aggressor into the above . I like Kubatons , flashlights , any kind of improvised fist load , think: what would McGiver do ?

If I could have any CQC weapon , it would be a 12 oz. Blackjack .

Many/most formal Martial arts turn into B.S. in the real world , in the street you can't tap out , you don't know something's comming . Just by way of an example , most knife attack victims don't ever see the knife . In a Dojo , some dude's comming at you with an 8" trainer when some other Dude blows a whistle .

Running is not always a swift idea , if you are older , and someone takes you down from behind , you can be toast .

Chris
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:24:18 PM by Styerman »

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #34 on: October 07, 2013, 04:41:26 AM
Interesting topic :tu: 

I've never actually had any training of any kind, nor have I been in a fight.  Did mess around with a set of wooden nunchuks during my Ninja Turtle phase, and was decent with them (very amateurish I'm sure), until I cracked myself upside the head.  Wasn't a big fan of them after that ;) 

While I'm short, I'm beefy (I guess that's the way to put it) due to a good working out phase for a few years recently, but the last couple I've slacked on that.  Regardless of that, I try to give off the appearance of being more work to take down than is worth the trouble (kinda like NNR's confidence technique).  I can't claim that I would be a good fighter at all, but I think that also depends on the situation/motivation/potential risk to oneself or one's family.  I like to think that, properly motivated, I would make an attacker regret whatever choices placed him on the path to incurring my wrath >:( 
K-Tibbs

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #35 on: October 07, 2013, 09:34:18 AM
I never felt threatened. Last time I had to hit somebody I was at school, 2 times at elementary and once at high school. Now, when in difficult situations, I just look determined and look the other straight in the eyes. I also have a very heavy keychain and once I had to raise it against a younger guy that threatened me (for a parking place!!!). That was enough. I know that growing old that might not work anymore. We are animals and animals threaten peers most of the time and assault rarely, usually only on inferiors. That's a pity but it gives us the solution: just don't look inferior.

Ἄφοβον ὁ θεός, ἀνύποπτον ὁ θάνατος· καὶ τ’ ἀγαθὸν μὲν εὔκτητον, τὸ δὲ δεινὸν εὐκαρτέρητον.
Φιλόδημος Γαδαρεύς

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: October 08, 2013, 04:32:55 PM
I train with the Longsword (includes Dagger and Hand to Hand), never been messed with when I carried mine ;)

Much has been said about avoiding and running and I agree, that is the best strategy. However, if that fails:

Despite what others may have said here. DON'T KICK! Kicking is one of the worst moves you can make, it reduces your mobility and makes you unstable. Learn how to punch, most people can't punch and just swing believing that there is more power in it when in truth its slow and relatively easy to block.
Step one: Assume non-threatening defensive pose. (e.g. like this, arms are at the ready for easy defense and offense.)
Step two: punch in the face while screaming as loudly as you can.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #38 on: October 08, 2013, 06:10:38 PM
I took some karate some 20yrs ago, I even trained with a friend off the books, he was a black belt who even flew over to some other country to bring home some six foot trophy, but here's the problem, in any of those classes they teach you to defend yourself, not to take the abuse like in a boxing or kickboxing class, my friend and I got into it one day and he told me that he was going to take me down, well I had one upper advantage, I was always active and in a physical way, weather it be soccer or rough housing, so a slap to the face was nothing, and when doing his kung fu in matches that's pretty much all you got, so when I fought him I punched him square in the forehead, needless to say I knocked him cold. And I had quite a few people see it too, not to many people bothered me after that, I was known as the quite kid who sat in the corner. But for any advice, any upper hand is being able to take the abuse, that and any grappling cause most fights end up on the ground, two best classes if looking in to anything are boxing and wrestling, you don't need this kicking someone in the head crap! And I thought some kid in high school why, but that's a diff story! JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #39 on: October 09, 2013, 04:15:57 AM
The NYANG taught me self defense to guard opium fields in Afghanistan.  :salute:
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

us Offline mtngoat

Reply #40 on: October 10, 2013, 04:06:43 PM
180lb Mastiff works pretty good
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind." -Dr. Seuss-

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #41 on: October 10, 2013, 06:24:18 PM

110lb German Shepherd/rotti mix and a 70lb German Shepherd/Whippet mix are also great options.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #42 on: October 10, 2013, 06:51:09 PM

180!¿! :ahhh:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: October 10, 2013, 11:23:02 PM
I had the pleasure to train with some ex-special forces guys, whom had been through hell and back, and are willing to teach us something about self defense/offense.  Pretty much the training ground was a 'fight club' by nature, and after multiple bone fractures/countless cuts and much learning, here is what I think of self-defense:

1) If your opponent has a knife, that makes him 10 times more dangerous than what he is.  And people had been known to been stabbed in the past, only to realize that long after the adrenaline rush was over.

2) You never win a knife fight, but merely survive it.

3) If you are at all serious about self defense, then train real(or at least 50-70% real).  If you get a bloody nose, nasty cuts or cracked rib, continue with the lesson and fight.  If possible, don't train with pads or any kind of protection, because in real life, you don't wear them.

4) Besides the bar fights or random act of violence, do understand that most people whom hurt or fight people for a living(criminals) always look for unfair advantage and they are 'professional' in what they do.  If you do plan to 'fight' back, then be prepared to inflict and be able to take twice the damage.

5) Above all, best fight is one that never happens.  That requires being ever vigilance and preparedness, which in itself, I consider the highest form of self defense.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: October 10, 2013, 11:45:48 PM
I had the pleasure to train with some ex-special forces guys, whom had been through hell and back, and are willing to teach us something about self defense/offense.  Pretty much the training ground was a 'fight club' by nature, and after multiple bone fractures/countless cuts and much learning, here is what I think of self-defense:

1) If your opponent has a knife, that makes him 10 times more dangerous than what he is.  And people had been known to been stabbed in the past, only to realize that long after the adrenaline rush was over.

2) You never win a knife fight, but merely survive it.

3) If you are at all serious about self defense, then train real(or at least 50-70% real).  If you get a bloody nose, nasty cuts or cracked rib, continue with the lesson and fight.  If possible, don't train with pads or any kind of protection, because in real life, you don't wear them.

4) Besides the bar fights or random act of violence, do understand that most people whom hurt or fight people for a living(criminals) always look for unfair advantage and they are 'professional' in what they do.  If you do plan to 'fight' back, then be prepared to inflict and be able to take twice the damage.

5) Above all, best fight is one that never happens.  That requires being ever vigilance and preparedness, which in itself, I consider the highest form of self defense.

well said  :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Philby

Reply #45 on: October 11, 2013, 12:01:39 AM
Train in something where contact is the norm, judo or wrestling are ideal.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #46 on: October 11, 2013, 12:03:09 AM

I have been told this before but I didn't remember it when I posted before, this will save you pain and possibly your life  :salute:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gb Offline Philby

Reply #47 on: October 11, 2013, 12:17:23 AM
Only way to avoid any confrontation is to stay in the house. I've been the victim of an unprovoked attack, and belief me you don't see it coming. I played a lot of rugby and was a medalist for a few years in national judo competitions, what helped me was being familiar with physical pain, and being physically fit.  The initial strike, ( unprovoked headbutt) didn't put me out, but also didn't unsettle me, I had experienced much worse pain on the rugby field.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: October 13, 2013, 11:22:57 PM
Though I certainly wouldn't claim to be an expert, I've spent some time on this subject.  IMHO, the best approach to self defense is both multi-layered and flexible, providing multiple means and options for avoiding and, failing that, responding to a physical threat.

The first layer of defense should be "geographical awareness".  As an example, as anyone who lives in or near a large city knows, there are certain areas into which one would be well-advised not to venture.  You know (or at least should know) what neighborhoods should simply be avoided in your city, or in a city to which you will be traveling.

The second layer of defense should be "situational awareness".  This is the mindset of continuously scanning for and evaluating potential threats.  If you were being followed, would you be aware of it?  If someone (or several someones) were loitering on the sidewalk down the street from you, would you see the danger in time to avoid the trap?

Two-legged predators, like four-legged ones, have no interest in engaging in a stand-up fight.  Their goal is to utilize you and or your possessions to meet their needs.  So, they are looking for maximum payout for minimum risk, and further will not attack unless they perceive they hold the clear advantage.  This advantage could be superior physical size/strength, superior numbers, possession of weapons, and or the element of surprise.

More to come later, if anyone is interested...

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: October 16, 2013, 05:34:18 AM
Something that is often under-appreciated from an SD standpoint, I think, is the tactical flashlight.  For my purposes, I define a tactical flashlight as one that
- is small enough to EDC, which generally means no larger than a 2 AA or 2 CR123A light
- is blindingly bright
- is reasonably resistant to water and shock
- has one-hand, momentary-on capability
- if it has multiple modes, can be configured so that the brightest mode is accessed first and able to be accessed repeatedly when using the momentary on capability

Perhaps the best SD use of a flashlight is to check out possible ambush locations or suspicious noises from a distance at night, e.g. allow you to spot the guy lurking in the corner of the dimly lit parking garage, the two guys trying to hide behind a dumpster down the dark alley, or even spot the one climbing over your back fence from your bedroom window.  Hopefully, you've identified the potential threat in time to avoid it and or call in the police to handle it, as appropriate.

If the threat is closing on you, use the momentary-on capability to give him a blast of light in the face at maximum output.  If you're lucky, he will be looking at the light (and you will have the hot spot right on his eyes) when you activate it, and so he will be temporarily flash-blinded ("seeing spots") and his night vision will be temporarily compromised.  If not so lucky, he should at least have to look away, close his eyes momentarily, and or put up his hand to shield his eyes.  Close your dominant eye when you do this, in order to minimize the impact of the flash on yourself.  Realize this technique may only give you a split second opening to go on the offensive, and or put as much distance/as many obstacles between him and you as possible.

Other benefits of the tactical flashlight include
- It can reasonably be carried in the hand at night without arousing undue suspicion.
- It has useful non-SD functionality.
- As long as you don't bring the strike bezel or stun gun varieties, small flashlights (I think TSA rule is less than 7" long) will generally pass security checkpoints.
- Worst case, the flashlight can be used as a makeshift kubotan or fist-load, the same as any other object of similar size, but you should have pretty much exhausted all other options before that point.

Some sources advocate carrying a large 3-6 C or D cell flashlight as an impact tool for SD.  While I wouldn't argue their effectiveness in this capacity, I personally don't subscribe to this school of thought for two reasons.  First, while a flashlight of this type may once have been the only option for a user who wanted both decent brightness and decent run time from a flashlight, the rise of LED lights has resulted in excellent brightness and run time being available in very light and compact packages; ergo, a flashlight of this size becomes difficult to credibly justify as anything other than a weapon, at least when carried on one's person.  Second, these lights are so large and heavy that they just don't lend themselves to EDC as far as I am concerned.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #50 on: October 16, 2013, 10:07:49 AM
Great posts there mate :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #51 on: October 16, 2013, 11:25:29 AM
Two words for you:
Light    Saber

:tu:

DIY!!!
Lightsaber-cutaway.jpg
* Lightsaber-cutaway.jpg (Filesize: 121.75 KB)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: October 16, 2013, 06:50:06 PM
Two words for you:
Light    Saber

:tu:

DIY!!!

Totally agree, I only trust two forms of self defense mechanism when it is light related  :D

My little green friend with a green flashlight:

And my dog who knows my little green friend:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21