Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your latest GERBER?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Whats you latest GERBER?
Reply #690 on: January 09, 2016, 12:39:47 AM
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #691 on: January 17, 2016, 12:07:23 AM

This arrived today. The tools are kinda tight and gritty, like my Dime was, so I'll have to fiddle with it. No big deal there. But the pliers are also nearly impossible to flick out. Don't know if they just need some exercise/oiling or what  ???

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #692 on: January 17, 2016, 12:33:27 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

This arrived today. The tools are kinda tight and gritty, like my Dime was, so I'll have to fiddle with it. No big deal there. But the pliers are also nearly impossible to flick out. Don't know if they just need some exercise/oiling or what  ???

My Octane was the first Gerber I could flick! Needs a different grip to a MP :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #693 on: January 17, 2016, 12:45:56 AM

My Octane was the first Gerber I could flick! Needs a different grip to a MP :tu:

After a bit of fiddling, I've noticed that the pliers get really tight in the rail at the bottom. So there's friction sabotaging my flick attempts  :rant:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #694 on: January 17, 2016, 02:21:28 AM
I went to work on the Octane, loosening a few screws (thankfully it's plain old torx) and now it's considerably easier to operate  :tu:

us Offline super m

Reply #695 on: January 17, 2016, 02:51:18 AM

I went to work on the Octane, loosening a few screws (thankfully it's plain old torx) and now it's considerably easier to operate  :tu:

Cool I thought they were hard to find ? WoodsDuck.
Brothers helping Brothers

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #696 on: January 17, 2016, 03:15:40 AM

The Octane? Well, it is discontinued, but...

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/gerber-blades--octane-multi-tool--11872462

us Offline super m

Reply #697 on: January 17, 2016, 03:26:51 AM

The Octane? Well, it is discontinued, but...

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/gerber-blades--octane-multi-tool--11872462

Thanks
Brothers helping Brothers

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #698 on: January 17, 2016, 04:19:41 AM
Update:

Whilst testing out different grips to see which one most reliably works for flicking out the Octane's pliers, I managed to hurl it across the room and knock my glass of milk off the table  :facepalm: . . .  :rofl:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #699 on: January 17, 2016, 04:33:37 AM
Update:

Whilst testing out different grips to see which one most reliably works for flicking out the Octane's pliers, I managed to hurl it across the room and knock my glass of milk off the table  :facepalm: . . .  :rofl:

:rofl:

You live, you learn.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #700 on: January 17, 2016, 05:26:42 AM
Update:

Ha, good one :)  There's a thread here somewhere about flicking accidents....

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #701 on: January 18, 2016, 11:39:41 PM
Alright, it's time for another Stupid Question™

Are there any scissors that will fit in the Octane's blade slot? I really like the blade itself, but feel that I'd end up getting more utility from a pair of scissors on this kind of minimalist tool. I know the blade can easily be removed, but I want to keep a cutting implement in there.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #702 on: January 18, 2016, 11:41:01 PM
Maybe from a Flik?

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #703 on: January 19, 2016, 12:20:13 AM
Its a liner lock right? Maybe from a Wingman?  Vic Scissors can be have the pivot drilled out to fit in slots like that
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #704 on: January 19, 2016, 12:42:52 AM
Yeah, it's a liner lock. I don't have a Wingman to test, or the room in my budget currently to buy any more tools, so it may have to wait. I was planning to get a Flik eventually, though not so much to dismantle. Well, if/when I get my hands on one or the other I'll test it out :tu:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #705 on: January 19, 2016, 01:22:58 AM

Are there any scissors that will fit in the Octane's blade slot? I really like the blade itself, but feel that I'd end up getting more utility from a pair of scissors on this kind of minimalist tool. I know the blade can easily be removed, but I want to keep a cutting implement in there.

I took the blade off completely, including the channel, and carry a SAK with it. Rides even slimmer and less obtrusively than it did before, and a very easy mod to do.

I did originally look at putting scissors in, but the Wingman scissors looked like too much work, and I think the abutment (backstop) when open was in the wrong place

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #706 on: January 19, 2016, 03:26:04 AM

I took the blade off completely, including the channel, and carry a SAK with it. Rides even slimmer and less obtrusively than it did before, and a very easy mod to do.

I did originally look at putting scissors in, but the Wingman scissors looked like too much work, and I think the abutment (backstop) when open was in the wrong place

I'd probably think about doing that if i hadn't already modded my MP400 to be workplace friendly. I like the Octane well enough as it is, really. The only thing that would be a significant improvement for my purposes is adding scissors.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #707 on: February 03, 2016, 12:34:26 AM
Just got a Gerber Bear Grylls Compact Multitool.  Total impulse buy on Amazon ($10).  (Must stop doing that....)

I like it!  It feels a lot more solidly constructed (with closer tolerances) than the Gerber dime, but honestly that may just be my mind being tricked by the weight.  The pliers definitely feature a more robust head, although I suppose the weak point is the backspring not the plier head.  The pliers come together precisely and the spring action is well-calibrated.  Not too weak, not too strong.

The drivers are nicely machined, and the Phillips driver worked better than I anticipated.  (It is very difficult to get out, but all the other tools have fine walk-and-talk.)  The drivers are definitely made from thicker sheet metal than those found on the dime and feel sturdier.

I like the blade size/shape.  A little touching up on a ceramic rod and the plain edge is in great shape.  (Gerber mystery steel blah blah but honestly it is freaking fine for the boring stuff I end up doing.)  The tweezers are frankly, excellent.

The screws holding the thing together appear to be made out of pâté.  Luckily the tension on all the tools is pretty good out of the box, but it can't be adjusted. 

Overall, I give it a solid B.  A nice offering from Gerber for the price and it looks great looks, too.  No garish orange Bear Grylls branding.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 01:21:56 AM by NetsNJ »

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #708 on: February 04, 2016, 01:24:22 PM
New Paraframe

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #709 on: February 07, 2016, 02:32:47 PM
Recently grabbed this blunt nose.  Its my only Gerber but I like it so much I now have a Pro Scout on the way!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #710 on: February 08, 2016, 12:20:36 AM
Nice!  Enjoy the Pro Scout! Just remember the Flicky mantra - Keep calm and annoy the crap out of someone flicking the pliers open. >:D
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #711 on: February 08, 2016, 01:45:45 AM
Nice!  Enjoy the Pro Scout! Just remember the Flicky mantra - Keep calm and annoy the crap out of someone flicking the pliers open. >:D
+1  :salute:

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #712 on: February 08, 2016, 01:53:58 PM

Will do! Been practicing with the OHT!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #713 on: February 08, 2016, 04:23:10 PM
My last addition to the MP collection I'm building up...

yay! So cool. Smooth as silk, already broken in by previous user, I guess!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #714 on: February 08, 2016, 07:32:22 PM
Bunch of lovely tools here lately guys. :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #715 on: February 11, 2016, 03:22:19 AM
So my new Pro Scout with bit kit was in my mailbox when I got home today.  Pretty excited about this one.  I think it will make a great weekend/not at work companion.  Kinda bummed that the sheath has an extra pouch but the bit kit won't fit in it.  Blade could have come sharper (still has burrs on it) but thats a quick fix.  Also the flathead drivers and can opener are stupidly tight.  Really difficult to open and close.  I'm surprised it escaped the factory that way.  Tried some mineral oil with no immediate results but I'm hoping they will ease up with use.  Overall I'm pretty pleased though.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 03:23:24 AM by clown »

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #716 on: February 11, 2016, 04:38:50 AM
Damn. :(  Hopefully it'll smooth out for you.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #717 on: February 11, 2016, 07:00:32 AM
If they don't just loosen the pivot screw a fraction.

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #718 on: February 11, 2016, 03:42:05 PM

I may have to try that.  Not sure if I have the proper tool to fit those pivot screws.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #719 on: February 11, 2016, 04:28:44 PM

I may have to try that.  Not sure if I have the proper tool to fit those pivot screws.
Regular pliers suck for that job, but I use a SOG Pocket PowerPlier for openeing Gerber tools. The Compoind Leverage realy helps grip that tight screw.

Locking Pliers would also work i imagine.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%