Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Possible to tear down a Classic to reverse the orientation of the blade?

us Offline getahl

Hi all,

I love the Classic, except for the fact that the blade opens toward my keys. To all tha mod-gods, will the spring setup of the average Classic allow for the keyring to be mounted on the opposite end of the SAK? I know I can just buy a Rambler, but I want to tinker with something, and this serves as a great excuse to pick up some new tools, multiple or otherwise.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
The springs are all the same inside, so I cant see why it would be a problem to put the keyring spring on the other end.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline jrp316

The only problem I can foresee is the keyring getting in the way of the scissors in the standard spring configuration. I've never tried it on a 58mm mod (I may try it now), but what about having all three tools open to the same end of the knife rather than opposing pivots?

gb Offline Farmman

Quick mock up of the inside of a classic although I have the scissors the wrong way up. As you can see the pins go through opposite sides which means that the tools has to go opposite too.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1384714428342.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1384714428342.jpg (Filesize: 17.78 KB)

Offline jrp316

Here's a mockup of what you're looking for:

Looks like it would work pretty well and shouldn't bind up with the scissors as I originally thought.

I tried a mockup of having the three tools open to the same end, but the newer springs have interlocking tabs that prevent that. The older style springs without the tabs won't tension up properly against the tools in that configuration either, so it looks like a no go for my idea.

us Offline getahl

Thank you all for the quick replies! I'm looking forward to giving this a shot on one of my collider Classics in the near future, and having something I'm looking forward to having on my keychain.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon

I tried a mockup of having the three tools open to the same end, but the newer springs have interlocking tabs that prevent that. The older style springs without the tabs won't tension up properly against the tools in that configuration either, so it looks like a no go for my idea.

I tried that too, even ground the nubs off, but there just isnt enough room.  The only way I can see doing it is to have the pins on that end just a tad further apart, so custom scales and liner, and I think it would work, but too much effort I think.  Someone asked me to do a minichamp with all tools opening on the same end... would be interesting but for sure not simple.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

de Offline HankSolon

I agree with you Robert.

In the first time when I did some 58mm mods I accidently tried to assemble a knife with opposing tools opening to the same direction. That won't work.

I even have some older 58mm springs without those nubs. Those won't work either in the described way.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%