Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Stanley 92-841...any thoughts?

Mr.V · 13 · 2562

Offline Mr.V

Stanley 92-841...any thoughts?
on: November 26, 2013, 06:50:24 AM
I just purchased a Stanley 92-841 multitool on the bay and was wondering if anyone had any experience with one. It was super cheap and coming from Australia...hope I'm not gonna get burned. Anyway, looks like a solid little tool and an oddball to add to the collection.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STANLEY-92-841-STAINLESS-STEEL-16-1-MULTITOOL-wt-POUCH-/320846286951

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Stanley 92-841...any thoughts?
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 07:30:50 AM
Welcome to MTo  :tu:  This is a great place to hang out and lots of friendly and helpful people from all over the world.  :)

I haven't handled one of these particular tools, but from the photos it looks like a typical cheap generic MT (over-polished screwdriver tips, fish scaler).  It does have outside opening tools which is good (IMO), but looks like the tools are non-locking, so be very careful if really leaning on them that they don't fold in and injure you.

Probably worth what you paid for it  ;)
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 08:59:12 AM
Welcome to mto mate,as said its a generic mt and there is better ones out there but at higher costs but well worth the extra ,leatherman for example have a amazing warranty,and victorinox have amazing build quality, im sure if you stick with us here we will steer you in the right direction  ;) enjoy your Stanley when it arrives  :salute:

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 01:25:20 PM
Seems like it's probably worth the 8 dollars you pay for it, but not much more than that... Then again, at this price, it's almost worth a gamble, maybe.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

Offline Mr.V

Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 03:31:45 PM
Thanks for the replies, folks! Yeah, I kinda figured it was a generic one, but at that price I thought I'd give it a shot. Oh, and for the record, I am already a collector/user/carrier with several LMs, Vics, Gerbers, and even a couple Crescent Toolzalls (I love those things for some reason!). I was just surfing the bay last night and came across that Stanley. If nothing else, it might find it's way into a glove box or kit as a backup.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 04:50:43 PM
and even a couple Crescent Toolzalls (I love those things for some reason!).

The Crescent Toolzall MTs are Bear Jaws relabelled with the Toolzall brand (and are a good, no-nonsense, robust MT).  Bear & Son also supplied Craftsman with relabelled Bear Jaws.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 08:52:33 PM
I have a stanley multi that i use as a beater, its not the same model but not that different.

I find that it accomplish its purpose quite nicely for the use i give it. The blade cuts, the drivers are decent enough and the pliers are usefull. The cutters on mine cut thicker wire better than thinner and softer.

Offline Mr.V

Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 09:00:38 PM
I have a Bear and Son Bear Jaws MT as well. I don't like the lock release on the Bear Jaws. I find myself gravitating towards the Toolzall more and just using it with a little more caution because of the lack of a lock.

Thanks for the info, RamoN. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on that Stanley to see how it measures up. I'm also interested in finding a Stanley Max Edge MT but I can't find one anywhere.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 11:01:27 PM
I have a Bear and Son Bear Jaws MT as well. I don't like the lock release on the Bear Jaws. I find myself gravitating towards the Toolzall more and just using it with a little more caution because of the lack of a lock.
The tool locks were added by Bear & son to later versions of their tools, and are not related to the label.  I have two Toolzall Pro XL MTs (Super Bear Jaws), the later one has locks, the early one doesn't.  The lock/unlock levers do stick out a bit, but I prefer positive locking tools.

Have you seen this thread re the Stanley Max Edge MT ?

http://forum.multitool.org/general-tool-discussion/stanley-max-edge/

It seems Stanley have labelled two quite different MTs with the "Max Edge" name; one is a SOG, while the other seems to be a smaller MT.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 11:07:38 PM by gregozedobe »

Offline Mr.V

Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 05:32:45 PM
I received the tool yesterday, and I have to say I am more impressed than I thought I would be. It actually reminds me a lot of the Crescent Toolzall. They are quite similar in body construction aside from the obvious profile of the handles. The pliers on both tools are very similar as well. The Stanley's tools are non-locking as they are with the Toolzall (which I don't mind at all), and accessible from the closed position. There are 3 flathead screwdrivers, a Phillips driver, a can/bottle opener, a large knife blade, a small knife blade/awl, and a saw/nail puller. My complaints with this tool are that the blade isn't very sharp and it's chisel ground, and the saw isn't at all sharp...it's useless as it is, in fact. Even so, the tool seems to be quite sturdy and I look forward to adding it to my EDC rotation. Btw, it is a little wide in the closed position, but barely fits in my SpecOps Super Sheath. I have an information request in to Stanley Tools to see if they can tell me where and when the tool was manufactured. I will post their response once it comes in. Thanks!

Offline Mr.V

Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 09:38:10 PM
Well, I heard back from Stanley already and they seem to think that tool was only distributed through Stanley Australia. I now have an email in to Stanley AUS with the same information request. I really hope it was actually made in Australia...

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 11:03:55 PM
I'll bet it was made in China.  I have a similar tool that has a "Schrade Tough" label on the plier head, and I've seen others with no label.

Offline Mr.V

Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 06:48:44 PM
Yeah, I'd bet it was made in China too, but I'm hoping we're both wrong. Regardless, once a couple of the tools are touched up it appears to be a solid piece and well worth the extremely cheap price.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%