Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ultimate Swisschamp vs. CyberTool 41 thread

williu · 99 · 14858

Poll

SwissChamp vs CyberTool 41 – which one is your favorite?

SwissChamp
57 (56.4%)
CyberTool 41
44 (43.6%)

Total Members Voted: 100

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: Ultimate Swisschamp vs. CyberTool 41 thread
Reply #30 on: December 15, 2013, 05:50:01 AM
I've used the fish scaler as a fork to steal french fries, corn dog nuggets, and mozzarella sticks from people at work a number of times now.  Don't want to lose that capability......  :)

it is also a great rubber band launcher.  hook the band in the end, pull band back (on smooth top) aim and release

I've used the fish scaler on my Yeochamp as a fork, plus it has the ruler.  And now I have to try it out as a rubber band launcher thanks to Detron ;)  Anyway, I have neither of these SAKs, but I think my vote would go to the Swisschamp.  I just don't see a SAK as a place for a bit driver, and I don't typically need anything other than a flathead or Phillips.  Plus I like the mag glass :tu:
K-Tibbs

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #31 on: December 15, 2013, 08:50:35 AM
I think there are two generation of design for the bit-holder and the older really had the mentioned problem, the newer though is vastly improved.

Really?
My Cybertool was bought in the year they first came out and with over a decade of EDC and regular use (I was working as a computer technician) I've never had that problem.  My Cybertool still has its original bits and they are still working great.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

se Offline williu

Reply #32 on: December 15, 2013, 09:39:29 AM
I'd go for the Swisschamp as I'm just so familiar with it, plus I really do appreciate the Phillips on it :)

I think one of the biggest appeals to me with the Swisschamp is its versatility, I've tackled all sorts of tasks with it over the years, and i just find cybertools just too focused really :)

Too focused on what? :D

And if you like the Phillips, the CT41 has three different phillips bits, so you should be covered with pretty much any Phillips screw.

But I get what everyone's saying about the SwissChamp. There's just something about it that one has to love. But every time I think "man, maybe it is better", then I can't make a case for having the fish scaler instead of the bit driver...

se Offline williu

Reply #33 on: December 15, 2013, 09:42:11 AM
I just don't see a SAK as a place for a bit driver

I get what you're saying, but... is there really something that a SAK isn't a place for? :D

To me, that's the brilliance of the SwissChamp/CT4 – they have pretty much every tool you would ever need in everyday life.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #34 on: December 15, 2013, 11:44:51 AM
I'd go for the Swisschamp as I'm just so familiar with it, plus I really do appreciate the Phillips on it :)

I think one of the biggest appeals to me with the Swisschamp is its versatility, I've tackled all sorts of tasks with it over the years, and i just find cybertools just too focused really :)

Too focused on what? :D

And if you like the Phillips, the CT41 has three different phillips bits, so you should be covered with pretty much any Phillips screw.

But I get what everyone's saying about the SwissChamp. There's just something about it that one has to love. But every time I think "man, maybe it is better", then I can't make a case for having the fish scaler instead of the bit driver...
It is a bit to focused on IT applications to me, and I don't do technosorcery :D

I do the ruler a lot, and the fish scaler does work well at stripping dried bark, and cleaning up plaster board edges and holes too :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: December 15, 2013, 01:23:17 PM
I think there are two generation of design for the bit-holder and the older really had the mentioned problem, the newer though is vastly improved.

Really?
My Cybertool was bought in the year they first came out and with over a decade of EDC and regular use (I was working as a computer technician) I've never had that problem.  My Cybertool still has its original bits and they are still working great.
I'm not the expert here, but I seem to remember that they changed the "nubs" (see image), which improved the bit-case. I think there was even a thread about this here on MT.O.
Victorinox-Bit-Set.jpg
* Victorinox-Bit-Set.jpg (Filesize: 42.64 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #36 on: December 15, 2013, 01:34:28 PM

Really?
I'm not the expert here, but I seem to remember that they changed the "nubs" (see image), which improved the bit-case. I think there was even a thread about this here on MT.O.

GigaHz noticed that this spring. Here's his photo and a link to that thread.

How many of these do I own and have had apart? I just notice this now?

http://forum.multitool.org/swiss-forum/i-must-be-blind/

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: December 15, 2013, 01:40:16 PM
GigaHz noticed that this spring. Here's his photo and a link to that thread.

http://forum.multitool.org/swiss-forum/i-must-be-blind/
Thanks, ohh almighty god of finding old threads.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: December 15, 2013, 01:44:57 PM
SwissChamp. I've had the CT34,it's great,just don't see the need for the CT41 :shrug:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #39 on: December 15, 2013, 02:17:27 PM
They are equals. Not one is better than the other.

sent from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #40 on: December 15, 2013, 05:23:40 PM

sent from Nate's mobile

I saw you were the most recent post, and I thought you were going to say "Surge, for the win"
 :rofl:

that would have been awesome!
If I can help, let me know 

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #41 on: December 15, 2013, 06:32:48 PM
None wins. This wasn't  a fight, it was an evolutionary mating dance. They finally reproduced and gave birth to a superior offspring, the Swisschamp XLT, or Cybertool 50. All features of it's parents and then some more, remaining elegant and functional in some, reasonably sized, hand.
I mean, if you can handle a basketball one handed, you can handle an XLT. Much easier in fact.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #42 on: December 15, 2013, 06:35:46 PM
I just don't see a SAK as a place for a bit driver

I get what you're saying, but... is there really something that a SAK isn't a place for? :D

To me, that's the brilliance of the SwissChamp/CT4 – they have pretty much every tool you would ever need in everyday life.

I should say I'm not a fan of bit drivers anyway, but this is based on the Leatherman Charge/Wave and the fact that it's only really useful/versatile if you can bring the bit kit with you, which I can't/won't do since I don't sheath carry.  However, the CyberTools get bonus points for having multiple bits available without having to carry anything extra :tu:  I've looked at them before, but they are expensive, and just don't seem to have the tool loadout that I like :shrug:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Jetbo

Reply #43 on: December 15, 2013, 06:37:59 PM

I have not had my Cybertool 41 for very long but I do work IT and like the idea of having one of these in my laptop bag for the times I leave my heavy tool bag in the van.  Also it having the saw and file compliments the Gerber mp400 carry on my belt. :tu:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #44 on: December 15, 2013, 07:44:22 PM
Those scales really make it pop. :2tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #45 on: December 16, 2013, 10:24:40 AM

sent from Nate's mobile

I saw you were the most recent post, and I thought you were going to say "Surge, for the win"
 :rofl:

that would have been awesome!
Lol, sorry I let you down.

sent from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

Offline Oncojeans

Reply #46 on: September 29, 2020, 08:55:15 PM
I have read this thread with great interest, having just purchased a CT41. After a great deal of consideration, and assessing the available evidence....I'm buying a Swisschamp too! Oh and I'm coveting a Swisschamp XLT but that's just insane.....

us Offline cody6268

Reply #47 on: September 29, 2020, 09:33:24 PM
Vic makes and sells hundreds of thousands of SwissChamps each year. Meaning, finding a cheap one isn't all that hard. I'm about ready to break down and buy a new CT41/CT-L. People seem to want little less for used examples.

For sake of practicality--CT41. Because there's no fish scaler and you have a bit set and can expand it with the extra set of bits for Beretta firearms, which Vic is still using for the XAVT.

us Offline Kraken

Reply #48 on: September 29, 2020, 09:39:05 PM
I have read this thread with great interest, having just purchased a CT41. After a great deal of consideration, and assessing the available evidence....I'm buying a Swisschamp too! Oh and I'm coveting a Swisschamp XLT but that's just insane.....

I have both and find that for me, the Swiss Champ gets the advantage. I use the fish scaler, the in-line Philips driver and mag glass more than I thought I would before I started to carry it. I do like the bit driver on the CT 41 and it has a permanent home in my kitchen drawer, where it's called on for a variety of small household tasks. I've used it exclusively to put together IKEA furniture and the bits come in handy when I have to change the batteries in some of my son's toys. I even called on it several times when remodeling our kitchen when it flooded. But I've found I get more use out of the entire tool set of the Swiss Champ versus  the CT 41. Don't get me wrong; I love them both and they're both great tools. It's just that the Swiss Champ takes the lead, but just by a nose.
Semper Fortis

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #49 on: September 29, 2020, 10:10:47 PM
I vote Swiss Champ. For me it’s the archetypal Swiss Army Knife and a design classic. I have 2, one red with the grey mag and one black with the clear horrid mag and use them all the time. I’ve never scaled a fish but have used that ruler and the olive/sweetcorn fork on the end!!

The only thing I never use is the chisel.

.....however that mod by GigaHz is soooo sweet.
I too would take the opener layer out and add a combo but that’s just nit picking it’s a super cool mod.

I do love the Swiss Champ though so it’ll always come out on top for me.

us Offline Swiss Guy

Reply #50 on: September 30, 2020, 01:46:47 AM
I voted for the Cybertool 41. Although I love the Swiss Champ and carried it for many months, the Cybertool 41 was my grail SAK. It is the Swiss Champ with a bit driver and no fish scaler, which I never had any use for. I keep a Fresnel lens in my wallet so magnification is taken care of.

The Swiss Champ still gets used though. I keep the Swiss Champ in the garage for those times I need a SAK but am only wearing sweatpants and don't have the CT41 on me.
The right tool is the one you have on you

us Online Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #51 on: September 30, 2020, 02:44:59 AM
I voted for the Swisschamp, but that bit driver sure makes the Cybertool a tough tool to beat!
Barry

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: September 30, 2020, 02:45:43 AM
SwissChamp for me. 

The Scaler on the SwissChamp is like the Peeler on the Executive - its a great tool for all sorts of random things, and rarely used for its intended purpose.  For me, I'd rather have that one random do-it-all tool rather than the bit driver.  Also, for a while I really liked having the Ruler... less important these days, but still a nice addition.

us Online Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #53 on: September 30, 2020, 02:52:34 AM
I agree Elevenblade.  I've used it as a ruler, fork, square....probably everything BUT a scaler  :rofl:
Barry

us Offline Frailer

Reply #54 on: September 30, 2020, 03:23:14 AM
I agree Elevenblade.  I've used it as a ruler, fork, square....probably everything BUT a scaler  :rofl:

And I agree with you both.

I would probably feel very differently if the bit driver would be handy in my daily life, but this isn’t the case.

us Offline sixracer

Reply #55 on: September 30, 2020, 05:29:14 AM
First, GREAT THREAD!

The Swiss Champ was always the grail. (Well, technically the grail was the whole Champ survival kit). When I was old enough for my first Ranger, the Champ was the icon, the Countach, the Brinkley(dating myself). I have two Champs, they are always going to be the king.

That said, they live in a drawer most of the time. My CT41 lives within arms reach.

It comes down to environment IMO. In the words, the Champ is king. In the city with computers, appliances, etc the CT41 has what I need and little I don’t.

As others have said, wish I had more. They are too dam hard to acquire these days.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: September 30, 2020, 11:27:32 PM
I used to think it's the CT 41, but the Champ is in fact the Champ.

I love my EDC-CT 34 but found I hardly ever use any other bit than the Philips. They are just too damn small for everyday life. On the other hand, I do miss the magnifier every once in a while. Given that the SC is the same size as a CT 41, that makes it the winner in my book despite having the rather useless fish scaler on board. And it is considerably cheaper to boot. Now if it were only available without a fish scaler, saw and metal file...

us Offline cody6268

Reply #57 on: October 01, 2020, 01:37:32 AM
I used to think it's the CT 41, but the Champ is in fact the Champ.

I love my EDC-CT 34 but found I hardly ever use any other bit than the Philips. They are just too damn small for everyday life. On the other hand, I do miss the magnifier every once in a while. Given that the SC is the same size as a CT 41, that makes it the winner in my book despite having the rather useless fish scaler on board. And it is considerably cheaper to boot. Now if it were only available without a fish scaler, saw and metal file...

To illustrate that fact, I paid less than $30 for the really good condition SwissChamp I have.   CT41s--I haven't seen many under $100. I think $80 may have been the cheapest I ever saw one.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: October 01, 2020, 06:03:46 PM
To illustrate that fact, I paid less than $30 for the really good condition SwissChamp I have.   CT41s--I haven't seen many under $100. I think $80 may have been the cheapest I ever saw one.

Got one of mine for $40.  :D Ironically, because I didn’t really want another one, but that was exactly what I tacked on to an offer that was already in agreement...to add it as a user. Turns out it was minty and dated to 2010 by the scales.

I have a MIB blue ‘99/‘00 CT41 with the solid plus back scale. I think that one was $67...got it maybe two or three years ago.

I voted for the Champ. Personally, I feel there shouldn’t have been both the CT34/M and CT41/L, and that I would have liked the CT34+Metal Saw and Chisel. And I haven’t worked in a related field since 9600 baud was a relevant spec.

This is the 2010 with the GITD scales I did yesterday to ‘match’ its blue FireAnt.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Kraken

Reply #59 on: October 01, 2020, 06:09:41 PM

This is the 2010 with the GITD scales I did yesterday to ‘match’ its blue FireAnt.

Nice scales! Any chance we might be able to get some pics of them in action?  :pok: :popcorn:
Semper Fortis

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD