Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Wood Working Thread

derekmac · 144 · 11920

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: The Wood Working Thread
Reply #30 on: January 06, 2014, 08:48:26 PM
Nice work going on in here, Most of my woodwork is held together with nails  :facepalm:

but I thought some of you might like to see a simple jig I use when working on doors fitting locks or hinges (I've seen chippys using them over here for years)

They are made from scrap 4x2 (English), 2x4 (American) or 100x50 (European)  ;)

(scrap piece of beech worktop to indicate where the door sits)

Hope the picture makes some kind of sense  :think:
06.01.2014 009.jpg
* 06.01.2014 009.jpg (Filesize: 84.85 KB)
Everything’s adjustable

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #31 on: January 06, 2014, 10:28:44 PM
$10???  :ahhh:

:rofl:  Add it to the tab that will be sure to increase! :D :rofl:

>:D   :P  I'll let it slide this time, especially since I'm actually at the store and getting paid while I type this.  :D  One problem with working in a store that's been in town for over 40 years - people recognize you outside of work and ask you questions.  When I'm doing my food shopping, I really don't feel like helping you fix the stain on your deck.......
You're a good man Tom!!  :salute:

Yeah, that would probably drive me nuts too.  Next time someone asks you something outside of work, just say something dumb like "I love lamp", give them a blank look, then walk away. :D

Nice work going on in here, Most of my woodwork is held together with nails  :facepalm:

but I thought some of you might like to see a simple jig I use when working on doors fitting locks or hinges (I've seen chippys using them over here for years)

They are made from scrap 4x2 (English), 2x4 (American) or 100x50 (European)  ;)

(scrap piece of beech worktop to indicate where the door sits)

Hope the picture makes some kind of sense  :think:
Hmmm, my brain can't seem to figure out how that works...  :think:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #32 on: January 06, 2014, 10:31:04 PM
I really like that workstation JR.  I really should build a few like that myself.  My garage is such a mess right now, it makes me want to cry every time I go into it.  :cry:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #33 on: January 07, 2014, 01:10:39 AM
I really like that workstation JR.  I really should build a few like that myself.  My garage is such a mess right now, it makes me want to cry every time I go into it.  :cry:
Here's where I got the idea for it, I think it was in Handy magazine but I didn't need any measurements, I just went along with what lumber I had, lol, then I found one of those other workstations, unfortunately they don't make them any more, but I found one, he he! JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #34 on: January 07, 2014, 08:33:14 AM
I have posted this link before but it may be of use to some in this thread too.

The Janka Hardness Test for Hardwoods

http://ejmas.com/tin/2009tin/tinart_goldstein_0904.html

I use it when deciding on scales for a knife.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #35 on: January 07, 2014, 04:40:11 PM
I'll join in...this summer I was house sitting for 3 weeks, a friend and long time wood workers house.  He has a large wood shop, so I was able to go to town for a few weeks.

Then I went to town on about 8 band saw boxes...here are highlights...

(Image removed from quote.)

Cedar log with custom shelf/storage

Great stuff! I've seen similar stuff at the local craft markets and I love the concepts of these kind of boxes... I'd love to have the tools and time to do something like that for my wife as she LOVES boxes...  :D
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline SupraFreak13

Reply #36 on: January 08, 2014, 03:54:09 AM

Great stuff! I've seen similar stuff at the local craft markets and I love the concepts of these kind of boxes... I'd love to have the tools and time to do something like that for my wife as she LOVES boxes...  :D

Thanks for the compliments folks.  Look up "Bandsaw boxes".  They are easy to get creative with once you understand how they're made. 

The only major tool needed is a band saw.  A palm sander helps for finishing. 

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #37 on: January 08, 2014, 04:10:45 AM
Well tonight I decided to get the jointer all cleaned up and ready to go. After I got it set, and square, I decided to run a piece through it. Well my hand slipped and in goes my thumb!

It took a nice big slice out of it, but I was able to get it wrapped with lots of pressure on it, and the chunk of skin is still attached. So here I sit in the hospital waiting to get stitches. Oh joy.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #38 on: January 08, 2014, 04:29:43 AM
Well tonight I decided to get the jointer all cleaned up and ready to go. After I got it set, and square, I decided to run a piece through it. Well my hand slipped and in goes my thumb!

It took a nice big slice out of it, but I was able to get it wrapped with lots of pressure on it, and the chunk of skin is still attached. So here I sit in the hospital waiting to get stitches. Oh joy.

Ouch!   :(  That sucks Derek.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: January 08, 2014, 06:10:40 AM
Dang man, hope everything ends up ok! Hope you feel better.. JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #40 on: January 08, 2014, 07:49:40 AM
Just got out of the hospital, three stitches later. We also get to drive home in a blizzard at almost 3am.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #41 on: January 08, 2014, 04:45:53 PM
Did you take pictures? >:D

All kidding aside I hope there's no permanent nerve damage. Last time I sliced my thumb I couldn't grip anything properly for a few weeks. Was it the left or right thumb? :-\

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #42 on: January 08, 2014, 04:59:54 PM

Thanks for the compliments folks.  Look up "Bandsaw boxes".  They are easy to get creative with once you understand how they're made. 

The only major tool needed is a band saw.  A palm sander helps for finishing.

Yeah... if I had room for a band saw, I'd be set!
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #43 on: January 08, 2014, 05:22:53 PM

All kidding aside I hope there's no permanent nerve damage. Last time I sliced my thumb I couldn't grip anything properly for a few weeks. Was it the left or right thumb? :-\
I wrapped it up too quick after it happened as there was lots of blood, so no pic there. :D I was going to take one right after the doc finished stitching, but the nurse came in too quickly.

It was my left thumb. It's making doing simple things very annoying. :rant:  Oh well, it could have been much worse!!

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #44 on: January 09, 2014, 02:26:32 PM
Thank you derekmac for starting this thread.    I hope your  thumb heals up to be like new.

I've been away from MTO for several months and away from woodworking for even longer.  After seeing some opportunities to make some gifts I decided to get back into the wood shop recently and I stuck my nose back here in MTO and found this thread.  Seems like a return to both was meant to be.

Here are some pictures of projects that I competed in the past.

Step stool for our kitchen.

A small box that I sent to my son while he was deployed to Iraq.   He now uses it to store his challenge coins.

A tool chest that I made long ago.

Some wine gift boxes from several years ago.  I've started working a five of these to have on hand to use as gifts.

My office furniture.

Tick Magnet

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #45 on: January 09, 2014, 02:29:30 PM
Here is a picture that pulls woodworking ant MT's together.  Ian Kirby is a master woodworker, author and educator.  He uses an SAK with a modified blade tip as a marking knife.

Tick Magnet

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #46 on: January 09, 2014, 06:03:40 PM
Very nice work, MeadMaker. :cheers: And welcome back to us. :waving: I was wondering a few days ago where you had disappeared.

Very cool looking picture frame too. 

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #47 on: January 09, 2014, 06:14:52 PM
Very nice work, MeadMaker. :cheers: And welcome back to us. :waving: I was wondering a few days ago where you had disappeared.

Very cool looking picture frame too.
+1  Glad you decided to come back to us!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #48 on: January 09, 2014, 09:55:44 PM

Since it doesn't look as bad now, here are a couple of pics.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #49 on: January 09, 2014, 10:04:15 PM
 :o :o :o

Holy crap that was a bad one. Hope everything heals up properly.
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #50 on: January 09, 2014, 10:09:39 PM
:o :o :o

Holy crap that was a bad one. Hope everything heals up properly.
Yeah, wasn't one of my best days in the shop.  I think it should heal pretty good.  I usually heal really well, and fast, so here's hoping that trend goes with this as well. 

I still have feeling in it all, so that should be a good sign.  There's also no pain, and hasn't really been any at all since it happened.  The absolute worst pain was the first needle for the freezing.  :ahhh That hurt like hell!!!  The cold also makes it throb some, but it's not unbearable.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: January 09, 2014, 11:31:45 PM
That does look bad but I'm glad they could fix you up. :tu:

I'm very careful near such machinery. Both of my neighbors, one on either side had serious workshop accidents. One cut off 4 of his fingers on a band saw. The doctors managed to reattach them luckily. The other one lost the tip his finger. :-\

Powertools are dangerous. :ahhh

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #52 on: January 09, 2014, 11:44:34 PM
I so want this, even though I really don't need it for the amount of tapering I'll do.  I'll probably just stick to making my own jigs.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,240,45313&p=71460

I also need to get a set of these.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=32670&cat=1,310,41069&ap=1

That does look bad but I'm glad they could fix you up. :tu:

I'm very careful near such machinery. Both of my neighbors, one on either side had serious workshop accidents. One cut off 4 of his fingers on a band saw. The doctors managed to reattach them luckily. The other one lost the tip his finger. :-\

Powertools are dangerous. :ahhh
I'm also usually very careful, and I knew what I was doing was dumb, but I was tired, so I did it anyways.  :facepalm:

Yikes, that would be horrible, cutting off four fingers.  :ahhh

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #53 on: January 10, 2014, 12:07:07 AM
That looks like it hurt just a little bit Derek.  :(  Glad it was a relatively simple repair.  As to missing fingers, I deal with a lot of furniture and cabinet shops at work.  There are plenty of guys in and out of the store each week missing a fingertip here, a finger or two there.  :o  One guy we know was in a few weeks ago and after I boxed up his order I asked him, "Need a hand with that?"  His reply was, "No thanks, I've got a hand and a half right here."  :P  Quite an old injury and he makes light of it, but he scared the next lady on line when he waved goodbye to us with the three fingers on his left hand........   :ahhh  I also really do know a one-armed paperhanger, but that's a story for another time..........
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #54 on: January 10, 2014, 12:09:38 AM
 :sa: ouch, hope it all heals! JR

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #55 on: January 10, 2014, 02:04:06 AM
That photo really made me cringe, since I know what that feels like.

I so want this, even though I really don't need it for the amount of tapering I'll do.  I'll probably just stick to making my own jigs.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,240,45313&p=71460

I also need to get a set of these.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=32670&cat=1,310,41069&ap=1

I've grown wary of lee valley's catalogs, they must have some of the highest paid writers in industry because they can make crap smells like gold. More than once I've been utterly disappointed by the actual item.

Besides their price is way up there on a lot of items.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #56 on: January 12, 2014, 09:20:27 PM
I could do witout the taper jig, but a good card scraper is very handy to have in the shop.    Lee Valley's prices are a bit high, but I've always felt that I've gotten my money's worth on the Veritas tools.
Tick Magnet

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #57 on: January 12, 2014, 11:10:28 PM

I could do witout the taper jig, but a good card scraper is very handy to have in the shop.    Lee Valley's prices are a bit high, but I've always felt that I've gotten my money's worth on the Veritas tools.
I noticed they have a bare bones jig for a much better price.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=30080&cat=1,41080,51225&ap=1

Yeah, they are a bit high, but it's nice to have a local shop that sells all the goodies they do.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #58 on: January 12, 2014, 11:23:38 PM
That's another thing that really pissed me off. I have to mail order stuff from them, but at least I didn't pay QST. But then they decided to be a goodie two shoe and made a french website, so now I have to pay both taxes.  11% price hike overnight, and still have to pay shipping.  ::)

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #59 on: January 14, 2014, 12:02:43 AM
 :drool: :drool: :drool:
http://www.amazon.ca/INCRA-ME-1000SE-Express-Miter1000/dp/B002GU68C6/ref=sr_1_12?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1389653580&sr=1-12&keywords=Incra

This is something that I would really love to have!!!  I don't completely trust the miter gauge that came with my saw, and the sled looks pretty sweet too!  I've been looking into the Incra miter gauges, and they seem like they are top quality.  I just might have to start working some OT to be able to get myself this!  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%