Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Special Victorinox or Wenger SAKs for musicians?

kosmo · 12 · 2365

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club
  • "All I need now i'th a can opener!"
Special Victorinox or Wenger SAKs for musicians?
on: October 08, 2015, 02:52:40 AM
I know there are many specialized versions of SAKs, especially from Wenger. (Thinking Bernina 504, for example.)

I have a friend that is a violinist and a guitarist.  Does anyone know of a special SAK version for musicians that would make a nice gift?
WTT Book: Victorinox - A Knife and Its History, see link:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57788.0.html
Will trade items for new/used Cadet Alox knives for mod projects.
Updated list: https://freeshell.de/~kosmo/sak/
:B: www.radiotell.ch

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Special Victorinox or Wenger SAKs for musicians?
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 03:08:17 AM
I've a notion Wenger did one with a tool for working on reeds :think:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 04:58:22 AM
Wenger did one, the Oboe, for preparing reeds for wind instruments. Pricey, and not sure if they're still available. Also not sure of how much applicability it would have for string instruments.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Swiss-Star+Oboe+Knife

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 05:30:19 AM
Get him a 111mm Vic rucksack. it can open beer or wine bottles. :rofl:

If he plays electric guitar then maybe a vic 111mm One handed trekker with the backside phillips for guitar pedals.

ar Offline wmoco

Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 01:03:54 PM
I'm a musician (singer mostly).

The pliers. It's delicate and very useful to change strings, you have to do that even if everything is ok and you don't need to repair anything.

If he's into wine: Deluxe Climber (is it out of production?)
If not: Deluxe Tinker. A good Philips is always welcome, could be handy on a guitar or some sound equipment)
If you have money: CyberTool M

Truth to be told, CT M is the best urban SAK all around for me. That includes my musician side.
Nothing fancy to write here...

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 01:17:10 PM
So I play the violin, and I think that a deluxe tinker would be ideal, because pliers are handy for changing strings, and tuning pegs do get VERY stiff. And scissors are just handy to anyone.

Sent from my outdated communication device using an obsolete application

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 03:01:01 PM

Maybe the Solo  :rofl:

I´m also thinking small pliers to cut strings and such.
If it´s classic guitar i.e. using nails to play - something with a nail file? Classic (no pun intended)

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 03:01:48 PM
I play bass (yes, the big one. No it's not a cello. Yes I'm sure. No you don't play it sideways like a guitar) and bass guitar. A couple people above me mentioned getting SAKs with pliers for changing strings, but I dont think id want to use SAK pliers for turning the tuning pegs. The metal would mar the soft wood that most violin tuning pegs are made of. Plus, a proper pair of small needlenose pliers with wirecutters stored in the violin case would be much more effective for bending and trimming string during string changes and it would cost less, and be lighter.

I suppose you could make an argument for having a sak for a guitar, but I still vote for dedicated tools in the guitar case, as many guitars use various sizes of allen head screws as well as Phillips heads, so carying other tools is necessary anyhow.

Please dont misunderstand, I think its wonderful that you are trying to find a gift that he will find useful for something they are passionate about, I just am unsure how useful they will find it in that capacity. Get them a Climber (if they or someone close to them drinks wine) or a Super Tinker, and encourage them to carry it with them every day.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 03:05:32 PM

Maybe the Solo  :rofl:

I´m also thinking small pliers to cut strings and such.
If it´s classic guitar i.e. using nails to play - something with a nail file? Classic (no pun intended)

Actually, I hadn't thought of that, but a SAK with a nail file would be an excellent choice, as string musicians need to have relatively short nails, so as to avoid plucking strings with their nails (not everything is done with a bow!)

Still not a fan of the pliers, but everyone lse seems to think its a good idea, so  :shrug:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 03:07:25 PM by sLaughterMed »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 03:12:24 PM
Working in bars that catered to live music I rescued a lot of musicians with a Spirit.  I have opened access panels and rewired pickups on stage while the rest of the band played on.

While I don't think that there are any specific musician SAKs in current availability (with the exception of piano key Classics!  :D) I would say that any instrument case would be well served by having a decent multitool inside.  I never met a musical problem I couldn't solve with a Spirit, except when the musicians were horrid and I wasn't allowed to throw it at them....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 06:17:06 PM
Working in bars that catered to live music I rescued a lot of musicians with a Spirit. 
Def

Jack Daniels?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 06:20:01 PM
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%