Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

[SIGN-UP CLOSED] 2014 Challenge Coin Design Competition Signup

Tofty · 56 · 5636

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Re: 2014 Challenge Coin Design Competition Signup
Reply #30 on: March 14, 2014, 10:42:00 PM
I have an opinion on almost anything (the validity of that opinion is always in question).  I will have ideas but the artists of the group will need to enhance my rudimentary stick/wheel drawings.

1  Cogito
2  Nhoj
3  Metropolicity
4  Raukodur
5  Comis
6  Madplumbarian
7  Ducttapetech
8  enci_ck
9  MRVictorinox
10 Yadda
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #31 on: March 14, 2014, 11:24:03 PM
You could try Greek for a change, ἔσο ἕτοιμος our ancestors said. That means "be prepared". It's also the motto of Greek boy scouts. Hey, Greek are more ancient than Latin (and studious Romans spoke Greek). Just a proposition.

us Offline Cogito

Reply #32 on: March 15, 2014, 12:10:07 AM
You could try Greek for a change, ἔσο ἕτοιμος our ancestors said. That means "be prepared". It's also the motto of Greek boy scouts. Hey, Greek are more ancient than Latin (and studious Romans spoke Greek). Just a proposition.

This gives me an idea, what about if someone knows Sanskrit! :D

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #33 on: March 15, 2014, 12:11:55 AM
I'm in  :)

1  Cogito
2  Nhoj
3  Metropolicity
4  Raukodur
5  Comis
6  Madplumbarian
7  Ducttapetech
8  enci_ck
9  MRVictorinox
10 Yadda
11 Microbe
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

de Offline Sweety-Sama

• No Life Club
  • First and Only
Reply #34 on: March 15, 2014, 09:48:45 PM
I was thinking to join in and made a lil concept sketch to see how much I can come up with. I'm halfway through and now am at the end of my creativity. Even given a month this probably will be all I would come up with. I clearly can feel that I have run against the wall and that's it.
If someone is interested I either can post it here anyway for inspiration or send it to someone via pm.

-----------------------------

First and only

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #35 on: March 16, 2014, 05:21:27 PM
Hi Sweety-Sama, if you've done some coin design work but aren't thinking of entering the design yourself, then please post it in this thread, in the upcoming proper "2014 Challenge Coin Competition" thread, or in both.
Perhaps some community input may help to flesh out the concept, to the point where you would feel happy to submit the design for the competition.

Thanks to everyone who has signed up so far. I don't expect the list to get to 20 (which isn't a problem as i originally considered only having 12 spaces available) so i will let the sign-up run until this Friday (21st) and then initiate the competition, along with the finish date and the rules and regulations.

Just as a heads up, i will explain one important new aspect of the rules:
The designs will be split up into two different sections: Coins that can be produced by the coin makers we used last year (or a similar company) and designs that cannot, due to their complexity and requirement for accurate tolerances.
The two sections will be called: "Challenge Coins" and "Challenge Tools".

The Challenge Coins can't be too much more complex than last years coin, with perhaps only one or two critical-ish dimensions allowed, but nothing like a full range of open hex spanners for example (like Nuphoria's neat idea from last year).

Obviously coin designs with no tools at all will be part of this section.

The Challenge Tools are for all other designs. However consideration should be given to keeping the design within the constraints of one of two most likely and practical manufacturing processes: Laser/water cutting and 3D printing.
The cutting accuracy of laser/water cutting is high enough for critically sized tools and can produce pretty much any 2D design into pretty much any type of metal, of any thickness. The extensive range of Atwood one-piece tools are good examples of what can be done my these cutting methods. Some machining may be permitted in the design after cutting but should be kept to a minimum and be simple, like cutting a prying wedge in one end, not having a range of Allen Hexes around the outside. Any text or graphical features can be laser engraved on the tools surface, but cannot have the tactile depth that the coins can.
3D printing will allow the most complex and unorthodox shapes, compared to the other production options but would be the most costly per unit and features won't be as dimensionally accurate as laser/water cutting. Also the printable materials available are quite limited, compared to those that could be used with laser/water cutting so tool strength is a concern. Shapeways is probably where the printed coins would be made (although there are other options) so understanding the materials available and seeing what others have been able to do with it is important if you choose to go down this route.
This is what my original design for last year's coin looks like, having been 3D printed.

Those who have signed up, have the option of entering different designs into both of the two competition sections, but only one design per section.
As stated in the original post; no guarantee can be made that any of the coins can be made available for sale, apart from the printed coins, which can be made available from Shapeways' shop section. However i shall do my best to make sure that the winning entrees are made available.

I have a fair bit of experience with all three of the manufacturing options available and am always happy to answer or clarify any questions or queries, contestants may have.

Hopefully the official rules and regulations should turn out to be a bit clearer and better defined than what i've written above, but that's the jist of what's planned.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 05:30:28 PM by Tofty »
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

de Offline Sweety-Sama

• No Life Club
  • First and Only
Reply #36 on: March 16, 2014, 06:04:58 PM
Ok, here is that halfway made sketch I made yesterday:

One side is supposed to show a Leatherman (or something resembling) and a SAK (yeah, yeah, my fiancé already told me the knife goes the wrong way..).
On the other side you see the year,  the website and I looked up the Chinese sign for horse, actually wood-horse (this should be a suggestion for the year of the horse).
I liked the idea of the hexagonal hole and before reading in the other two posts of the last year I thought to myself, that it would be good if it's big enough to maybe screw a M6/M8 or M10 hexagonal screw :D ^_^;; But after reading about the size problem of last year I think the optic will be enough too.
Maybe this design is to filigree from the beginning. I hope anyone of you can get some idea out of this.

First and only

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #37 on: March 16, 2014, 07:31:55 PM
Should there be somethings listed what should not be used in designs? Like religious signs and sayings, cultural and politics, etc?

us Offline Cogito

Reply #38 on: March 16, 2014, 08:20:59 PM
I did a quick look and in the worst case scenarios there are companies out there that make challenge coins with bottle openers built in and will put your logo 3d or otherwise on them.

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #39 on: March 18, 2014, 08:38:54 AM
Hi Sweety-Sama, if you've done some coin design work but aren't thinking of entering the design yourself, then please post it in this thread, in the upcoming proper "2014 Challenge Coin Competition" thread, or in both.
Perhaps some community input may help to flesh out the concept, to the point where you would feel happy to submit the design for the competition.

I just talked with her this morning about a spontaneous idea:
2014 is the chinese Year of the Wooden Horse. So what about a Trojan Horse (Maybe made out of Multitools, Leatherman/SOG legs, 91mm/84mm SAK torso, 58mm SAK head)?
And then the slogan "More than you expected!"
The other side would be a MTo Design like the last years edition.

Super crazy version: Have the whole coin in the form of the horse, with the head acting as bottle opener, tail as awl or screwdriver, the "v" between the hind legs a belt cutter etc.

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #40 on: March 18, 2014, 06:02:50 PM
Ok, here is that halfway made sketch I made yesterday:
(Image removed from quote.)

One side is supposed to show a Leatherman (or something resembling) and a SAK (yeah, yeah, my fiancé already told me the knife goes the wrong way..).
On the other side you see the year,  the website and I looked up the Chinese sign for horse, actually wood-horse (this should be a suggestion for the year of the horse).
I liked the idea of the hexagonal hole and before reading in the other two posts of the last year I thought to myself, that it would be good if it's big enough to maybe screw a M6/M8 or M10 hexagonal screw :D ^_^;; But after reading about the size problem of last year I think the optic will be enough too.
Maybe this design is to filigree from the beginning. I hope anyone of you can get some idea out of this.

I just talked with her this morning about a spontaneous idea:
2014 is the chinese Year of the Wooden Horse. So what about a Trojan Horse (Maybe made out of Multitools, Leatherman/SOG legs, 91mm/84mm SAK torso, 58mm SAK head)?
And then the slogan "More than you expected!"
The other side would be a MTo Design like the last years edition.

Super crazy version: Have the whole coin in the form of the horse, with the head acting as bottle opener, tail as awl or screwdriver, the "v" between the hind legs a belt cutter etc.

Thanks for sharing your ideas. I have to point out though, that the side of the coin with the tools on, looks quite similar to the EDC Forum's coin: http://www.jsburlys.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=edcfchallengecoin.
It's not a criticism, as i've also thought about doing something similar, but as they've done it first, perhaps it's best to try a different direction.
The size problems from last year basically stemmed from us expecting people, who weren't tool makers, to know how to make tools. Primarily it was my fault for not explaining what considerations were needed and not re-iterating how important the size of the hex was. However now that we know how to avoid similar problems in the future, we are much better prepared to get technical features right first time.

One idea similar to the centred hex idea would be a square hole, that would allow the coin to be used as a quick-drive ring between a ratchet spanner and socket (probably a 3/8" square if the coin's to be the same size as last year's coin (1 7/8" diameter). This would also tie in with the Chinese year theme, as some Chinese coinage is famous for having a square hole in the middle.

I'm also liking the Trojan Horse idea and the interesting thinking that got us there. Of course "more than you expected" has to be in Greek.

Should there be somethings listed what should not be used in designs? Like religious signs and sayings, cultural and politics, etc?

The only thing i was going to ask, not to be on the coin would be the forums founding year, as this should be celebrated on the 10th anniversary and not before.
Since the winning coins will be chosen with a community vote, i would expect that any images or messages that people found offensive wouldn't be very popular and would have no chance of winning. It's an important point though and i shall try and reflect our desire; not to have any designs considered to incite hatred or ridicule, in the wording of the rules.
It's important however that people feel their creativity isn't being stifled, so we'll play to by ear to some extent. "5318008"

I did a quick look and in the worst case scenarios there are companies out there that make challenge coins with bottle openers built in and will put your logo 3d or otherwise on them.

Quite often the coin makers will also do most of the design work, turning a simple sketch or even just a description into an attractive design. I suppose this option is open to contestants, as some of the companies offer free design and quotation. However one of the aims of this competition is to foster creativity and originality and i don't think that's what you would get from a designer who worked for a coin company, as their designs would probably be quite conservative.
Another option for those who want to go down the coin route are enamel inlays, adding one, or multiple colours to one, or both sides. This obviously adds to the cost of each coin but could well be worth it.

de Offline Sweety-Sama

• No Life Club
  • First and Only
Reply #41 on: March 18, 2014, 07:11:40 PM
Haha, I didn't know about that EDC coin :D
I just learned a couple of days ago about the concept of a challenge coin ^^;

First and only

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #42 on: March 20, 2014, 10:35:38 PM
Count me in !   :tu:

1  Cogito
2  Nhoj
3  Metropolicity
4  Raukodur
5  Comis
6  Madplumbarian
7  Ducttapetech
8  enci_ck
9  MRVictorinox
10 Yadda
11 Microbe
12 Ombudsman

us Offline Cogito

Reply #43 on: March 20, 2014, 10:37:25 PM
Does this mean we can start now? :)

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #44 on: March 21, 2014, 11:44:34 AM
I just learned a couple of days ago about the concept of a challenge coin ^^

I didn't think you had.
It always interests me the way different people's ideas converge towards the same solution, it shows up why patent law is so broken.

Thanks Ombudsman.

Almost, i'll let this run until the end of today, while i get the details all typed up, for starting the contest tomorrow.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: March 21, 2014, 12:29:35 PM
As places were limited, I didn’t want newbie me to take up valuable, skilled-folk space I thought I'd skip, but than again, I am bored, I wanted to be nr. 13 and well… someone has to be last in every contest  :whistle: Count me in

1  Cogito
2  Nhoj
3  Metropolicity
4  Raukodur
5  Comis
6  Madplumbarian
7  Ducttapetech
8  enci_ck
9  MRVictorinox
10 Yadda
11 Microbe
12 Ombudsman
13 Corwyn
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

de Offline Sweety-Sama

• No Life Club
  • First and Only
Reply #46 on: March 21, 2014, 12:31:05 PM

I just learned a couple of days ago about the concept of a challenge coin ^^

I didn't think you had.
It always interests me the way different people's ideas converge towards the same solution, it shows up why patent law is so broken.

Thanks Ombudsman.

Almost, i'll let this run until the end of today, while i get the details all typed up, for starting the contest tomorrow.

Yep, that's true. ^^;

First and only

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: March 21, 2014, 02:34:14 PM
Everybody else has had a chance now the slot is MINE ;)

1  Cogito
2  Nhoj
3  Metropolicity
4  Raukodur
5  Comis
6  Madplumbarian
7  Ducttapetech
8  enci_ck
9  MRVictorinox
10 Yadda
11 Microbe
12 Ombudsman
13 Corwyn
14 Etherealicer
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #48 on: March 21, 2014, 03:40:22 PM
Ok, six more slots left, any takers? JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Cogito

Reply #49 on: March 21, 2014, 11:27:44 PM
After we start I bet people are going to show up and say man I wish I had a chance to join in.

au Offline PPCAPache

Reply #50 on: March 22, 2014, 01:17:55 AM
Oh well I'll have a go...

1  Cogito
2  Nhoj
3  Metropolicity
4  Raukodur
5  Comis
6  Madplumbarian
7  Ducttapetech
8  enci_ck
9  MRVictorinox
10 Yadda
11 Microbe
12 Ombudsman
13 Corwyn
14 Etherealicer
15 PPCApache

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Founder & Chief UAV Pilot at Elevated Drone Control Zone

Rotation EDC: LM MUT, LM OHT, Fenix LD12 / LD22, Benchmade Mini Griptilian, Bit Card, Bit Extender, TEC Ti-Pry Bar, Garmin Tactix Delta, LM Tread LT, iPhone XS Max, iPad Pro (2020) 12.9”,

Other EDC: LM Surge, LM Wave, LM Wave BO, Skeletool & Skeletool KBX Coyote Tan, The RIT [Rapid Intervention Tool], Zippo Lighter,

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #51 on: March 22, 2014, 01:31:29 AM
I'd hate to see entries go unused, so I'll have a go  ;) :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #52 on: March 22, 2014, 01:44:32 AM
I am not sure Sweety and me can come up with a reasonable design so we do not want to take away any places.
If noone else shows up, you could place us combined in one entry on the list. But we can't promise that we get a cool design.  :-\

Oh, and if someone likes the Trojan Horse idea: Feels free to expand on this, no matter if we get a place on this list or not!  :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #53 on: March 22, 2014, 05:02:16 AM
I'd hate to see entries go unused, so I'll have a go  ;) :D
Well that means sign up as #16,, lol, JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #54 on: March 22, 2014, 10:20:14 AM
Thanks to all those getting involved.

Sign-up is now closed.

The list should read as follows:
1  Cogito
2  Nhoj
3  Metropolicity
4  Raukodur
5  Comis
6  Madplumbarian
7  Ducttapetech
8  enci_ck
9  MRVictorinox
10 Yadda
11 Microbe
12 Ombudsman
13 Corwyn
14 Etherealicer
15 PPCApache
16 50ft-trad
17 RT1969/Sweety-Sama

If i've missed anyone off the list, please let me know.
A new challenge thread will be up shortly.
Cheers

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #55 on: March 22, 2014, 02:09:11 PM
A link to the new thread, for later reference.

2014 Challenge Coin/Tool Design Competition

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD