Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Raukodur's 2014 MTO challenge coin/tool design

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Re: Raukodur's 2014 MTO challenge coin/tool design
Reply #30 on: March 25, 2014, 03:39:05 PM
I was thinking of an isopleuron. Full symmetry, 3 60 degrees angles, wide enough for keyrings.
Scrap the hex. One can still use it as a scraper.
Since you think out of the box, what about a money clip or a SAK pocket clip? Just brainstorming in the open.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: March 25, 2014, 03:39:16 PM
Well first, compared to the Slingshot coin a key-ring is not so wild. And I'm pretty sure if Tofty was against exotic designs he would have said so by now.
I like the idea of a MT.O key-ring

Personally, I like something like the image below for my keys

The reason is pretty simple, all keys look in the same direction and therefore get tangled less and are more comfortable to pocket-carry.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #32 on: March 25, 2014, 03:40:43 PM
Make it different, a hexagon shape with a circle cutout on the inside :D
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: March 25, 2014, 03:52:01 PM
Other shapes could be shield, dog tags shape, shield with upper and lower banner which always looks nice IMO.  I like the idea of the coin being an attachment point for items.  It would render the coin a useful item and seem to be carried more often.  In looking at peoples key chains the 3 sides offer three separate places for our keys ie auto, home, office.  I personally detach my auto keys from my keychain when using them so neat idea. 
1-9_marines_challenge_coin_1.jpg
* 1-9_marines_challenge_coin_1.jpg (Filesize: 59.66 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: March 25, 2014, 06:45:16 PM
From what I understand of the manufacturing process, these will be cut from a piece of metal, so you cannot have moving parts, or 'layers', or am I mistaken?

Otherwise the shape I would have ideally wanted was the infinity symbol, as shown below:

us Offline Cogito

Reply #35 on: March 26, 2014, 06:05:55 AM
You could have the logo engraved on some carabiners :)  But I've seen some like that where the logo rubs off and you can't really read what it originally was.

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #36 on: March 26, 2014, 02:09:04 PM
Well, despite it already being an obsolete design, here is my retake of Raukodur's concept:

The coin is 32mm in diameter, much smaller than the coin behind it which is 43mm in diameter. The coin is 2mm thick and the three rims of the cut-outs are 1.5mm deep, allowing for better installation and removal of small split rings. Due to the thinness of the rim i suspect that this coin could only be made by 3D printing or laser/water cutting.

The way i see a design like this working is with a pocket clip attached to one of the slots and various items attached to the two other slots, keeping them separate from each other.
I use a similar system on my keychain, where keys are kept separate from all the other junk by being on a large split ring, while everything else is on a cable loop, both connected to the belt clip.
The slot arrangement could be modified, so that there is just a hole for a pocket clip to attach to, to prevent it slopping around.
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: March 26, 2014, 02:27:24 PM
Wow Tofty, many thanks for doing that, but this design is by no means obsolete! If the feedback I receive from the community is that it could work, like the example you gave, then I may very well run with it.

I just want to make the most functional design possible to fulfil the desired purpose.

Again, many thanks for the 3d render, it looks amazing.

And I would love to get feedback from everyone about whether they think it could work in this form, or it needs modification, like I was hypothesising before.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #38 on: March 26, 2014, 08:50:44 PM
I like it. Very handsome!

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: March 27, 2014, 12:15:37 AM
Ok, so as well feedback on the 3d render of the original design Tofty has made, I have attached an image of a version with some ?refinements. There are still 3 slots for attachment, but one of them is a round hole, meant for the attachment to lanyard or belt attachment, etc., and the other two holes are for separating two sets of things on your keyring. The shape has also been changed to take up less space while retaining functionality. And there is a central portion on which we could have the MTo logo.

us Offline Cogito

Reply #40 on: March 27, 2014, 01:03:11 AM
Why not make it MT.O

Also the O can be a 1/4 hex and the . could be the size to fit the Leatherman mini eyeglass bit driver :)

edit: and the circle at the top could be modded a bit so it works like a Bottle opener.  Here is a pic:

edit 2: I wanted to be more clear.  I was saying that the M and T letters should be cut out, like See through so it would make more sense that the . and the O would also be cut out and see through Because the M and T are symmetric (from microbes challenge coin thread) it will look the same on both sides :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 01:12:04 AM by Cogito »

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #41 on: March 27, 2014, 01:09:53 AM
I really like this design

I think it would be great just to carry it like a normal challenge coin.

But if you want function I would go with this

And make the top hole a cap lifter and slap a 1/4 hex dead center of the oval for the most torque.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #42 on: March 27, 2014, 06:39:37 PM
Just saw this wheel off a toy car.
Slap a hex in the center put some written around it. I think it would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #43 on: March 27, 2014, 09:17:37 PM
The oval is ugly IMHO.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: March 28, 2014, 10:15:49 AM
There is definitely a certain beauty about the original design.

But what do you guys think about its functionality as it is currently? I don't want to produce something which looks pretty but isn't practical. Form over function, etc.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #45 on: March 29, 2014, 04:41:35 PM
This:

Is beautiful.  When I see it though, I think of the centerpiece off a three point harness. 

It is an elegant design, and functional or not I really like this one.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #46 on: March 29, 2014, 11:40:19 PM
This is one of the drawings i had from last year, the "O" in org is a hex to turn the bit stored by the o-rings, and of course a bottle opener :D JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: March 30, 2014, 01:15:54 AM
This:

(Image removed from quote.)

Is beautiful.  When I see it though, I think of the centerpiece off a three point harness. 

It is an elegant design, and functional or not I really like this one.

Def

Thanks Def. I think I was imagining it being bigger than it is, 32mm is quite small, and I think its functionality is increased due to that.

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #48 on: March 31, 2014, 06:14:26 PM
This is a rather extreme example of what i mentioned before; with the central hole at the top for some kind of pocket clip. Obviously any hole/slot arrangement, between this and the earlier render would be possible.

The size can be changed, either up or down, but 1" (25mm) is about as small as i would suggest going.
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #49 on: April 03, 2014, 12:50:06 PM
Twenty years ago I would have suggested that we make it the same size as a quarter so you could tie a string in one of the holes and make free phone calls at a pay phone, but these days I don't know where you could possibly find a pay phone to use it on!  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: April 07, 2014, 12:49:45 AM
I think 25mm may be too small, although would be interested to hear what people think... :think:

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: April 28, 2014, 09:33:44 AM

Dimensions:

The coin is 32mm in diameter, much smaller than the coin behind it which is 43mm in diameter. The coin is 2mm thick and the three rims of the cut-outs are 1.5mm deep, allowing for better installation and removal of small split rings.

Lettering:

"Be prepared" (ΕΣΟ ΕΤΟΙΜΟ) - ancient Greek proverb.

On the other side we could have: MTo 2014

Design purpose:

A keyring attachment challenge 'coin', which you can put on your keyring, and use as an attachment point for other keyring attachments. In this way it is functional in a way that doesn't overlap with the other tools we use and so provides real usefulness as well as being a challenge coin for MTo. And of course, there is the aesthetic appeal of the trisymmetrical circular design.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%