Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Larger Leatherman Family

Chako · 34 · 9000

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
The Larger Leatherman Family
on: May 01, 2014, 02:29:03 AM
In this thread, I am going to share the larger Leatherman models that I have in my collection with a little bit of information. I will be the first to tell you that I am not very knowledgeable on some of these models, and because of this, I am mostly certain I am missing a few models. For example, I know I am missing a cap crimper stainless Core. As for the other models, I haven't seen what I think I am missing. This may mean they don't exit, or more than likely, I just haven't seen one and am currently unaware of their existence.

Here is my collection by the numbers:

SuperTool - 2 stainless, 1 BO regular head, 1 BO cap crimper, 1 custom painted camo
Super tool 200 - 2 stainless, 1 BO
Supertool 300 - 1 custom gold plated, 1 BO EOD, 1 BO regular head, 1 BO cap crimper, 1 stainless
Core - 1 Custom BBQ, 1 stainless, 1 BO regular head, 1 BO cap crimper
Surge - 2 camo, 2 stainless, 1 BO regular head, 1 BO cap crimper, 1 new stainless, 1 new BO
OHT - 1 tan, 1 black, 1 silver

Total = 28

Now let's take a closer look...

Leatherman first started selling their PST back in 1983. It took them till 1994 for them to come out with the big brother of the PST, the Super Tool. At the time, this was their largest model, and it remained so until its successor, the Super Tool 200, came out in 2001. Most if not all new Super Tools came with a peel off warning sticker much like the one found in the following photograph.

The Super Tool featured locking blades, but it required the use of another tool to unlock the locked tool. I have always wondered if the warning sticker came about because some people couldn't figure out how to unlock a tool, or was it original to the line.

The Super Tool was basically a PST hoped up on steroids. Leatherman did put the extra size and width to good use. With 5 tools per handle, it most certainly packed a punch. Like many older Leathermans however, there is a lot of flat head drivers. The addition of a plain and serrated blade was a nice touch.

Now this is where I lack knowledge in these tools. I know most of them came in a BO with regular plier head, and a BO with cap crimper head. I also know most came in stainless steel with regular plier head. What I don't know is if there was a stainless steel with cap crimper. In the above photo, you can see both BO versions.

I also have a custom painted camo version which is always interesting.

Much like the SuperTool was a larger PST, the SuperTool 200 is a larger Pulse, which incidentally came out a year prior to the introduction of the SuperTool 200 in 2001.

Now I am uncertain if the SuperTool 200 ever came out in a cap crimper version, I have yet to see one.

Much like the older SuperTool, the SuperTool 200 also features 5 tools per handle.Note the change in the serrated blade compared to the older SuperTool. There is also the carry over of the 3 flat head drivers. The biggest change however is the implementation of the rollover locking mechanism first seen in the smaller Pulse. I find the locking mechanism unique to the whole Leatherman multi-tool family. Although I like this mechanism, a common complaint is one of fingers slipping off the mechanism as you try to roll it. Weather you love it or hate it, the locking mechanism is the SuperTool 200's most defining feature.

Keeping with the chronological pattern we have going here, the next large Leatherman will have to be the Core, which was first introduced in 2005. I have always viewed the Core as the larger brother to the Blast, even though the Core does not contain a Zytel handle liner. It does however have Zytel in the pivot points, and does generally look like the smaller Blast. Also, it follows the pattern of Leatherman releasing the smaller tools one year before the big guns are released.

Tool-wise, it is very similar to the SuperTool and SuperTool 200. Note that Leatherman saw fit to change the serrated blade once again. Yes, it also features 3 flat head divers (can you tell this sort of bothers me somewhat :D )

Now I do know there is a stainless version with the cap crimper. This is one of my unobtainium models as I have searched high and low for one for a few years now. However, like the rest of the family, Leatherman did produce a cap crimper and regular headed version in BO for the military minded.

I also have a very interesting custom Core that I won on MT.O back in 2011 created by Metropolicity aimed squarely at the BBQ crowd. He named this one the PitBoss.

If you are interested in learning more, here is the original thread...

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,31637.msg525113.html#msg525113

Along with the Core, the Surge was also introduced in 2005. Much like the Core is a larger Blast, the Surge is a larger Wave which incidentaly was released a year prior in 2004. I think there is a pattern here.  :think:  :D

Much like all the other tools in this family, the Surge came in both a BO regular head, and a BO cap crimper. I have yet to see a stainless cap crimper, but that does not mean one does not exist.

The Surge, being a larger Wave, offers outside folding tools that are very convenient in that you do not have to open the pliers to get to them. At least for the larger sized tools. The smaller secondary tools still require a partial open of the handles to access them.

The above image is of an original Surge. Note that the surge features a removable bit driver, a removable saw and file (you can only have one installed at any one time), and also a small eyeglass driver that is also reversible (Phillips and flat head). Thankfully, no 3 flat head drivers taking up all that valuable real-estate.

As with the newer Juice line, Leatherman has seen fit to make a similar change in their newer Surges. I will begin by stating I am not a fan of this change, and am a bit puzzled as to why Leatherma is doing this. The newer Surges feature lined up nail nicks on the secondary tools of one handle, as opposed to the older staggered nail nicks that I myself prefer. The new system means you have a hard time selecting just one tool. In the above photograph, the older Surge is on the right, the newer Surge on the left.

Of interest to collectors, there is also a camo Surge which is stunning.

The nail nick change occurred late in the older Surges life. The older Surge ended in 2013. New for 2013 is the introduction of the new Surge. The largest change being of replaceable cutters. Minor changes to the handles did also occur, especially the cutouts for accessing the larger tools. In the above photography, note the replaceable cutters on the plier head, and also the subtle change in the handle cutouts designed to make accessing the larger secondary tools a little easier.

Next up from the successful Surge, is the SuperTool 300 which was introduced in 2009, which is 8 years later from the last model that features the SuperTool moniker, the SuperTool 200. The SuperTool 300 was designed with gloves in mind, as the tool features special notches in the handles to facilitate glove wearers in accessing some of the folding tools as seen in the following photograph.

The SuperTool 300 features the same general design as the other SuperTools, along with the same 5 tools per handle. The biggest change was the addition of replaceable cutters. In fact, the SuperTool 300 was the first Leatherman to offer such a convenience.

Like everything else, Leatherman offeres the SuperTool 300 in both a BO regular head version, and a BO cap crimper.

In a further nod to the military, a special variant called the SuperTool 300 EOD also came out at the same time.

This was the first time that a Leatherman tool featured a C4 spike. The SuperTool 300 EOD also features a removable metal saw. Combine these two differences, and one might think it is very similar to the Gerber MP600 DET which has been around since 1999, which it is.

Of interest to a collector, Texas Toolcrafter has also custom gold plated the SuperTool 300 as seen in the following photograph.

Keep the similarity between the Gerber DET and the SuperTool 300 EOD in mind as we look at the next and most recent addition to the Leatherman heavy hitter lineup. In 2012, Leatherman shocked many fans by introducing the OHT, which basically functions like no Leatherman before it. That is because it functions like the Gerber sliding head multi-tools that have been around forever.

The OHT was designed with one hand convenience. What is different to the Gerber MP series, are the outside opening tools that the OHT uses. In that regard, it shares some family resemblance to the Surge. The plier head however is all Gerber with a twist. The OHT features a little locking tab that you can turn to prevent the pliers from deploying. It is a nice if fiddly feature to have. Note also that the OHT has a belt cutter.

The OHT also comes in 3 colours, dessert tan, Black, and silver.

This concludes this short romp through the larger Leathermans. I am certain I am missing some key representatives, especially those of the cap crimper variety. Then again, I might not as they may have never been produced.  :think:

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 02:55:29 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline Capn

Re: The Larger Leatherman Family
Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 02:40:45 AM
Wow!

I know that's very inadequate on my part, but I do want you to know your presentation is really appreciated.

Thank you!

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 02:43:16 AM
Nice collection. :2tu:
Leatherman

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 02:45:26 AM
Thank you Chako

I enjoyed learning about the full size leathermans

I got one question. Why didn't you include the mut.

I'm sure you have a reason.
Defend the Hive!!!

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 02:51:57 AM
Thank you Chako

I think it's because he classifies it as part of the Skeletool/Style family.
Leatherman

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 02:54:17 AM
That is correct. I just lump it with those based on construction.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 02:54:58 AM

I am correct! :woohoo:
Leatherman

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 02:56:16 AM
Thank you Chako

I think it's because he classifies it as part of the Skeletool/Style family.
thanks
I was thinking may be why.

ps

this thread makes me want a st300 eod. Its so cool looking but I don't think the plier head would work well for me at all. :facepalm:
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 03:01:47 AM

works for me.

thanks again for all the info.

Defend the Hive!!!

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 03:26:34 AM
Dan, that camo surge is super! :drool:
Very nice collection and review of LM big tools! :tu:

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 04:05:28 AM
nice collection, like a poet.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 09:15:13 AM
Another great review/overview/summary Dan, you are on a roll  :tu:  :tu:  :tu:

I can help out with info on Super Tool original and Super Tool 200 variants:
(ST = Super Tool, SS = Stainless Steel, CC = Cap Crimper pliers, BO = Black Oxide finish)

ST original SS
ST original SS CC (not real common, but they do appear for sale on eBay from time to time)
ST original BO
ST original BO CC

ST 200 SS
ST 200 SS CC (quite rare, but they do exist, some photos here on MTo)
ST 200 BO
ST 200 BO CC

I have all the variants except the ST 200 SS CC (I'm still looking for one of those   :think: ).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 10:02:18 AM
When you'll stop collecting (something unlikely) you should start archiving your threads Chako. This is an encyclopedia with scattered pages. We regular members have the privilege to benefit from your work but outsiders and newcomers will miss it unfortunately.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 10:31:30 AM
Great read as always Chako!!! This one is your best so far. But I might be a bit bias.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 11:32:01 AM
Dan, you could run your own Wiki if you were so inclined! Excellent info and photos as always :tu:
SAW

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 12:02:32 PM
I had figured I am missing the stainless steel cap crimper version for most of these. They just never come up on eBay Canada.

de Offline Teletin

• PVD-coated member
Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 12:35:23 PM
A great overview and a great collection.......thanks for sharing :tu:

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 12:49:45 PM
I had figured I am missing the stainless steel cap crimper version for most of these. They just never come up on eBay Canada.

You are no longer missing a ST original SS CC.  One will find its way to you in due course ( a "Thank You" for your generosity in sharing your wonderful collection with all of us here on MTo).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 03:07:57 PM
 Very nice gesture.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 03:18:21 PM
gregozedobe :salute:, very generous

Ha, my favorite is the PitBoss :drool:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 03:48:37 PM
Always like reading your stuff, thanks

Swiss Army knives .

CHEERS

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: May 02, 2014, 12:14:47 AM
gregozedobe, I am speechless. I don't know what to say. I would be more than happy to pay for it.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #22 on: May 02, 2014, 01:59:01 AM
gregozedobe, I am speechless. I don't know what to say. I would be more than happy to pay for it.

Dan, Thanks for the offer, but no need.  I have enjoyed looking at your collection very much and this is a way to say thank you for sharing it with us all.  I had just finished reading this review and then did my usual "eBay browse" and what should I see but one of your "missing" MTs, so it was obviously meant to be  :D  It will go to Matt B and he can send it on with your next batch.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: May 02, 2014, 06:28:22 AM
Many thanks. That is very generous.  :salute:

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #24 on: May 02, 2014, 11:48:35 AM
 :clap:

If anyone on here deserves some generousity it's Dan. He's given so much to this forum. This kind of thing makes my day a bit brighter. Thanks!

:D

:cheers:
SAW

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #25 on: May 24, 2014, 04:38:17 AM
i have a black st 200 with cap crimper.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 04:41:16 AM by nervium »

Offline Brewer

Reply #26 on: May 25, 2014, 08:33:55 AM
Nice work!

My very first pliers-based multitool was the Supertool 200. In fact, I went through a couple of them. In my experience, the sticker on the side was quite appropriate. Most of my colleagues were using the original Leatherman PST at that time (mid 1990's) and had no idea about locking blades. The locking mechanism on the ST200 was quite discreet, and anyone picking one up after using a PST would easily find themselves stumped. The number of people that ended up opening all of the blades together was astounding (there was even a note in the instructions describing how to use a screwdriver to release the lock if this happened).

At some stage they changed the shape of the main blade too. I remember distinctly because the tip of the original blade (as in the OP) was perfect for cleaning under my nails, but in a later version (they got lost and stolen quite regularly) the tip had changed to something similar to the shape of the serrated blade, ie a less acute angle. Definitely still a ST200 though. Just in case anybody cares :0)

The Gerber sliding head was a disaster in my experience. Everybody who had them always seemed to have to fight with them, shake them, generally faff around to coax them open. I never understood the fascination, or why their owners would defend them so vehemently. It looked absurd to me, all these guys dancing around shaking their tools...
  :whistle:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: May 25, 2014, 12:44:51 PM
Brewer, you do you mean the original Super Tool? The Super Tool 200 had those thumb lever locking mechanism.

Offline Brewer

Reply #28 on: May 25, 2014, 03:03:56 PM
 :facepalm:

D'oh, my bad. Of course, I meant Supertool. I never had the 200. Sorry about that.

In my defence, this was a while ago now...  :oops:

I did A LOT of work with that tool. It bit me a few times too.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: May 25, 2014, 03:26:00 PM
No worries. I am famous for the Freudian slip myself.  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99