Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Delemont S557 Phillips locks ?

Shalom · 19 · 2821

il Offline Shalom

Vic Delemont S557 Phillips locks ?
on: July 10, 2014, 12:44:48 PM
Does the phillips driver in the Victorinox Delemont collection S557 lock when pressure is applied as in the Wenger version ?

Offline marduk

Re: Vic Delemont S557 Phillips locks ?
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 12:23:04 AM
The 2014 Vic catalog description of the Delemont EvoGrip S557 reads: "screwdriver, lockable."

il Offline Shalom

Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 03:36:35 AM
I think that refesr to the cap lifter flat screwdriver.
In the addendum to the catalog posted in the forum a while ago the phillips is not referred to as lockable.
I wonder if the Wenger style phillips that locks when pushed ,has been dropped for a non locking Vic phillips.
Has anyone got one already that can tell us ?

Offline marduk

Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 03:56:25 AM
When FelineVet advertised the Wood S557, he showed a pic of the preliminary Vic Delemont catalog which stated: "Phillips Locking Screwdriver." But the new Vic just says "Phillips-screwdriver."

I guess we'll have to wait until someone gets his hands on one & lets us know for sure.

As far as I know all of Wenger's inline screwdrivers were pressure locking, including the Phillips & the combi tool. Let's hope Vic does the same.

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 04:04:25 AM
The top-mounted Phillips on the S557 locks; the bottom-mounted Phillips on the S18 doesn't lock.

IMG_4930.JPG
* IMG_4930.JPG (Filesize: 158.2 KB)

mx Offline ebarberena

Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 04:15:02 AM
My suggestion is to search out an original Wenger knife. There are still plenty available. That way you are sure your Phillips screwdriver locks (I know it does because I have one) and you'll have the real S557. For some reason the Vic Delemont series doesn't seem right to me. The Vic logo just looks strange on an Evo scale.

mx Offline ebarberena

Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 04:22:09 AM
The top-mounted Phillips on the S557 locks; the bottom-mounted Phillips on the S18 doesn't lock.
ColoSwiss, seeing that you have some Vic Delemont knifes, how do they compare to Wenger? Has Victorinox made any changes to the Wenger design?

I would think they are identical except for the logo on the scale and the stamping on the main blade.

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 10:11:48 AM
Have a look at this topic
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,50096.msg892693.html#msg892693
where all the differences had already been shown.

il Offline Shalom

Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 10:34:10 AM
Thanks , I have seen that thread.
It's very detailed about the model 10 and model 14 but neither of those include the Phillips driver.
If someone has a Vic S557 we can know if the phillips is still lockable as it was in the Wenger S557.

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 11:02:56 AM
Thanks , I have seen that thread.
It's very detailed about the model 10 and model 14 but neither of those include the Phillips driver.
If someone has a Vic S557 we can know if the phillips is still lockable as it was in the Wenger S557.

Yes, but I was answering to the following post.

ColoSwiss, seeing that you have some Vic Delemont knifes, how do they compare to Wenger? Has Victorinox made any changes to the Wenger design?

I would think they are identical except for the logo on the scale and the stamping on the main blade.

As for your question, ColoSwiss already confirmed the locking phillips.

mx Offline ebarberena

Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 03:54:52 PM
Wenger EVO S557 at closeout price of $49.99. http://www.edcsource.com/auction_details.php?auction_search=1&auction_id=117658&option=basic_search&src_auction_id=&keywords_search=&buyout_price=&reserve_price=&quantity=&enable_swap=&list_in=&results_view=&country=&zip_code=&username=&basic_search=wenger
Tim, that's a great price. I would buy a couple right away if I didn't already have 5 (3 with std scales, 2 Evowood's). Thats how much I like this particular knife.

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 04:38:26 AM
Resurrecting this thread after an exhaustive search.

I have a Wenger knife (not Vic Delemont) that has a non-locking phillips. It only snaps in the fully extended position. I searched on google and all I found were articles about how the IL phillips locks and how it snaps into 90 degree position like the Vic IL phillips. Smartknives doesn't show it, that I've seen. Sakwiki's IL phillips page says "needs Wenger variation".

So my search here led me to this thread.

The knife, I think is a , Nomad. It has locking main blade, scissors, wrench and NON locking phillips (no "patent" stamped on it), openers (locking cap lifter driver), awl, corkscrew.

This thread mentions the Vic Delemont knives having a locking IL phillips, so the technology carried over. Was mine some kind of early model? Not finding any info on the non locking wenger phillips.

-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 04:47:47 AM
James my friend....................

When in doubt , "Smeen The Bean"!

:pok: :D sorry ........  :nothingtoadd:
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 05:05:21 AM
James my friend....................

When in doubt , "Smeen The Bean"!

Tried that a couple times.

The Bean is well-Smeened
-JJL

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 02:01:36 PM
Ha! I've been pocket carrying a Vic s557 irregularly for years and did not realise the philips had the pressure lock! I just checked it, that's awesome. I thought only the cap lifter - flat head screwdriver had it!

(And apologies for being unable to help with the latest question....good question... :/ )

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 08, 2016, 05:50:58 PM
Ha! I've been pocket carrying a Vic s557 irregularly for years and did not realise the philips had the pressure lock! I just checked it, that's awesome. I thought only the cap lifter - flat head screwdriver had it!

(And apologies for being unable to help with the latest question....good question... :/ )

My very first real SAK from like 29 years ago has had the pressure lock bottle opener SD this whole time and only found out about it this year!
-JJL

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #17 on: November 08, 2016, 09:27:14 PM
I have a Wenger knife (not Vic Delemont) that has a non-locking phillips. It only snaps in the fully extended position. I searched on google and all I found were articles about how the IL phillips locks and how it snaps into 90 degree position like the Vic IL phillips. Smartknives doesn't show it, that I've seen. Sakwiki's IL phillips page says "needs Wenger variation".
I checked three Victorinox Delemont and five Wengers; every single one of mine (including a Nomad) "lock" and do not have a half-stop. I actually was not aware that there was a version of the inline Phillips which had a half-stop. I figure that any "non-locking" version would be older than what I have. I'm not sure if this helps...
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 08, 2016, 11:47:37 PM
I actually was not aware that there was a version of the inline Phillips which had a half-stop..

There very well may not be, there's just a blurb on the internet about it with no pics to support it.

I can tell you this much, I have one right here with no lock and no halfway stop, and there's nothing about that online that I've found.
-JJL

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%