Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

firearms

ducttapetech · 3118 · 155660

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: firearms
Reply #180 on: November 07, 2014, 01:18:32 PM
I must search the interweb for the blueprints on this. Great DIY weekend project!

8) 8) 8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #181 on: November 07, 2014, 01:21:38 PM
Or forget the fire...

:gimme: :gimme: :gimme: :gimme:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #182 on: November 08, 2014, 03:19:56 AM
No kidding!
I always want to get one of those and a Whitworth rifle.

I have a .45 caliber hexagonal Whitworth bullet somewhere.  :)  At Gettysburg the Confederates had two Whitworth breech-loading cannon, also with hexagonal bores.

In the contemporary accounts of the cannonade before Pickett's Charge, many Union soldiers recalled the distinctive sound the bolts fired from these guns made as they went by, all over the field.  Impressive considering there were only two guns on Oak Hill, on the Rebel left. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 03:21:57 AM by jerseydevil »
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #183 on: November 08, 2014, 05:40:58 AM
Panjandrum - a large rocket propelled vehicle developed (if that's the proper word) by the Brits in WWII to breach seawalls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panjandrum

Unknown.jpeg
* Unknown.jpeg (Filesize: 6.15 KB)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #184 on: November 08, 2014, 10:58:23 AM
I always thought they must of been more terrifying to develop to the engineers rather than the opposition!

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #185 on: November 08, 2014, 11:08:44 AM
My local gun shop has a S&W 500 X-frame revolver for sale.

Me knowing so much about guns...asked the guy behind the counter...is that the gun Dirty Harry carried. He laughed and said no. That there is a 50cal revolver.  :o
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #186 on: November 08, 2014, 07:34:05 PM
My local gun shop has a S&W 500 X-frame revolver for sale.

Me knowing so much about guns...asked the guy behind the counter...is that the gun Dirty Harry carried. He laughed and said no. That there is a 50cal revolver.  :o

The S&W .500 has been around for a few years now. I would suggest not buying one as your first gun though.  :pok: You would almost certainly develop bad habits dealing with the recoil and it would transfer over to any other gun you shot. Now that I think about it I am just assuming you have no experience. Have you ever fired a gun?   

Dirty Harry had a .44 Magnum in the movie. At the time it was the most powerful handgun in the world. Now a days...... not so much. The .44 Magnum is still a incredible round for revolvers and is absolutely nothing to take lightly.

I'm the milk man!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #187 on: November 08, 2014, 08:30:52 PM

Dirty Harry had a .44 Magnum in the movie. At the time it was the most powerful handgun in the world. Now a days...... not so much. The .44 Magnum is still a incredible round for revolvers and is absolutely nothing to take lightly.

I read once that John Milius actually couldn't find a Model 29 in .44 Mag for Eastwood to use in the movie, because at the time they were out of production.  In some scenes the revolver being used is actually a .41 Magnum!  Milius is known for knowing his guns, and some interesting ones show up in his films.  In Dirty Harry for example, if you look closely the Scorpio killer's sniper rifle is a Type 2 Arisaka paratrooper's takedown model, a VERY rare piece in it's own right.  The one in the movie has been sporterized, but you can tell what it was from the takedown mechanism.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #188 on: November 08, 2014, 08:37:07 PM
Very interesting.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #189 on: November 08, 2014, 09:28:06 PM
No worries. The previous owner bought it twice, forgetting that he had it before, and after the first shot, it all came back to him, and he re-sold it back to the shop.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #190 on: November 08, 2014, 10:37:53 PM
Here's a pic of the first rifle I ever fired, the Lee Enfield no.8 .22lr

Here's the first rifle I bought (1978) Anschutz 54 .22lr

(Image removed from quote.)
Dang an Anschutz. I haven't heard that name in a long time. I was on the rifle team back in high school between 95-97, an Anschutz was the first rifle I ever fired. Ended up getting my own rifle but don't remember what manufacture, but after that it went from .22lr-9mm-3030. JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #191 on: November 08, 2014, 11:05:06 PM
No worries. The previous owner bought it twice, forgetting that he had it before, and after the first shot, it all came back to him, and he re-sold it back to the shop.

That is pretty darn funny.  :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #192 on: November 08, 2014, 11:53:32 PM
A true case of buyers remorse. :D

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #193 on: November 13, 2014, 06:12:40 AM
The biggest gun ever, the German 'Dora' (Gustav) railway gun. 80cm (31") bore and mounted on a dual railroad track. Bigger is not always better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwerer_Gustav

images-1.jpeg
* images-1.jpeg (Filesize: 12.41 KB)
GustavGun2.jpg
* GustavGun2.jpg (Filesize: 99.52 KB)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #194 on: November 13, 2014, 06:43:27 AM
We finished CCW licensing, and are now just waiting for the paperwork to process, so I've been looking at concealed carry pistols. I have an LC9 but am seriously considering a smaller (and lighter) .380. I shot a Ruger LCP with an extended mag tonight, and with that extended mag, it has a much more secure grip. I think I could go for one.

I also shot the new (ish) Glock 42. I have not much liked the previous Glocks I've shot. I'm not sure if it's the grip thickness (front to back) or grip angle, but they've all felt awkward in my hands. The Glock 42 was NICE, and was an incredibly smooth shooter compared to the jumpy little LCP.

I'm just kind of shocked at the notion of a pistol that weighs the same as a large multitool. Wow.

I also saw a Chiappa .22 revolver that's a reproduction of the 1873 Peacemaker. Slower than death to load and unload spent casings, but it looks like it'd be a complete joy to shoot at the range. Fun little plinker. I guess watching all those westerns as a kid skewed my brain. :D

EDIT: also, the man they call Jayne's pistol was based on the previously mentioned LeMat. That is one cool pistol. :tu:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #195 on: November 13, 2014, 07:00:46 AM
I would say the new GLOCK 42 is a excellent option for CCW.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #196 on: November 13, 2014, 11:42:27 AM
Taking my course on the 17, 18, and 20th. Can't wait.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #197 on: November 13, 2014, 01:47:16 PM
What do you think of an H&K USP for conceal carry, if he's willing to go full frame instead of a Glock, or even an M&P or Springfield XP
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 01:50:35 PM by JBW1 »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #198 on: November 13, 2014, 02:06:07 PM
@Lynn, I my not be the best gun expert in the world, but try to avoid the .380 round. They are fun, cheap, and have almost no stopping power. They are better than nothing ofcoarse.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #199 on: November 13, 2014, 05:06:58 PM
The .380 is actually more expensive than the 9mm. I have to assume that it's a matter of how many rounds are produced.

As for 'almost no stopping power'...
Check this article out.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

I found this article VERY interesting.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #200 on: November 13, 2014, 05:28:58 PM
Almost no stopping power, I kinda worded that a little wrong. I meant more not the best stopping power.
Yeah, I have read it before and I am going by experience. Not saying you should pack a 1911 Colt, but there are better rounds with more power, better stopping power and they won't break your wrist when shooting them.   
As cheap goes, your are right, depends where you are and the make. I also forgot about the way the price of ammo has gotten all crazy. Even .22s are crazy now.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 05:36:20 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #201 on: November 13, 2014, 05:55:34 PM
A few years back, I remember balking at match grade ammo being 8 cents per round for .22. Now, you're lucky to find ANY .22 at under 8 cents per round.

If it makes you feel any better, what I have right now is the LC9, and it's hard to justify dropping several hundred dollars to shave 9oz off my carry weight. In addition, as I said earlier, 9mm rounds are cheaper, the sights on the LC9 are better than virtually any .380 (presumably meaning better shot placement).

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #202 on: November 13, 2014, 11:34:25 PM
What do you think of an H&K USP for conceal carry, if he's willing to go full frame instead of a Glock, or even an M&P or Springfield XP

I own an HK USP. Great pistol, accurate and reliable. A little bulky for concealed carry, but light weight. Had an HK USP Compact for a while. Not as accurate, and rather sharp muzzle flip.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #203 on: November 13, 2014, 11:41:02 PM
We finished CCW licensing, and are now just waiting for the paperwork to process, so I've been looking at concealed carry pistols. I have an LC9 but am seriously considering a smaller (and lighter) .380. I shot a Ruger LCP with an extended mag tonight, and with that extended mag, it has a much more secure grip. I think I could go for one.

I also shot the new (ish) Glock 42. I have not much liked the previous Glocks I've shot. I'm not sure if it's the grip thickness (front to back) or grip angle, but they've all felt awkward in my hands. The Glock 42 was NICE, and was an incredibly smooth shooter compared to the jumpy little LCP.

I'm just kind of shocked at the notion of a pistol that weighs the same as a large multitool. Wow.

I also saw a Chiappa .22 revolver that's a reproduction of the 1873 Peacemaker. Slower than death to load and unload spent casings, but it looks like it'd be a complete joy to shoot at the range. Fun little plinker. I guess watching all those westerns as a kid skewed my brain. :D

EDIT: also, the man they call Jayne's pistol was based on the previously mentioned LeMat. That is one cool pistol. :tu:

Don't have any experience with the Chiappa revolver, but was looking at their M-9 .22 auto. The general opinion seems to be its unreliable and difficult to field strip for cleaning. If you're looking for a Peacemaker-style .22, you might check out Ruger.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #204 on: November 14, 2014, 12:27:45 AM
I'm in a slightly unusual position where as a Brit I have been able to concealed carry (when I am not in the UK).

The .380 is ok, hell the American Arms .22LR are good as a belly gun, but only if you have to get that close!

Normally the sight of hand gun is enough to put mots people off! Slap a laser on it and the red dot is an excellent deterrent as well.

Ok to the point, for CC I would go either Glock or Sig, Glock because they are stupid reliable and Sig because I have the most experience them after the Browning Hi-Power.

Having said that, most people will give up with the red dot is on center mass and they will not know if it is a .380 9mm .40 or .45

sorry a quick edit, the advantage of the 9mm and larger caliber baby Glocks and Sigs is they will accept the higher capacity magazines from their full framed big brothers. So the gun you wear will be reasonably light, but you can carry a couple of  higher capacity magazines in the back pack, handbag or whatever.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 12:33:14 AM by Smashie »
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #205 on: November 14, 2014, 01:06:38 AM
I'm in a slightly unusual position where as a Brit I have been able to concealed carry (when I am not in the UK).

The .380 is ok, hell the American Arms .22LR are good as a belly gun, but only if you have to get that close!

Normally the sight of hand gun is enough to put mots people off! Slap a laser on it and the red dot is an excellent deterrent as well.

Ok to the point, for CC I would go either Glock or Sig, Glock because they are stupid reliable and Sig because I have the most experience them after the Browning Hi-Power.

Having said that, most people will give up with the red dot is on center mass and they will not know if it is a .380 9mm .40 or .45

sorry a quick edit, the advantage of the 9mm and larger caliber baby Glocks and Sigs is they will accept the higher capacity magazines from their full framed big brothers. So the gun you wear will be reasonably light, but you can carry a couple of  higher capacity magazines in the back pack, handbag or whatever.

I just have to say. In the USA if you conceal carry you are not allowed to ever pull a firearm for intimidation factor. If you pull it you better be fully intent to shoot and kill.
I'm the milk man!

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #206 on: November 14, 2014, 01:17:28 AM

I just have to say. In the USA if you conceal carry you are not allowed to ever pull a firearm for intimidation factor. If you pull it you better be fully intent to shoot and kill.

Quite right, but I have carried for work, not as a private citizen. I will also say that avoiding the situation is always preferable. Where legal I would also carry pepper foam (the spray will get you as well), an ASP or a small taser as well. I'd much rather not have to deal with the 'dibbles'  :salute:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #207 on: November 14, 2014, 02:15:42 AM

Quite right, but I have carried for work, not as a private citizen. I will also say that avoiding the situation is always preferable. Where legal I would also carry pepper foam (the spray will get you as well), an ASP or a small taser as well. I'd much rather not have to deal with the 'dibbles'  :salute:

Definitely.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #208 on: November 18, 2014, 01:32:42 PM
Last night was the first day of the PAL Firearms safety course. It did run from 6:30 to 10. Got another night tonight, and then Thursday night. Once I get this done, I will try to get my restricted, which should be held in December sometime. Once I have that, then I have to write for an application to the RCMP/government to get my PAL. I was told last night that can take up to 3 months (instructor laughed) to a year or so. Looks like my dream of joining a gun club and shooting might be put on hold for quite some time.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20