Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PSA: Leatherman Warranty No Longer Covers Sheaths.

Theo · 8 · 1055

au Offline Theo

PSA: Leatherman Warranty No Longer Covers Sheaths.
on: August 19, 2014, 02:49:16 AM
Just what it says on the tin.

I'm not complaining, the warranty remains good, but I remember they did cover them. You could email them a photo of the dead sheath and they'd send you a new one, it said so in the FAQs on the website.

I called the Australian distributor today about a broken sheath and the lady said they're not covered. I checked both the Australian and the US websites and it's true.

Again, I'm not complaining, covering the sheaths was above and beyond what could reasonably be expected, so retracting that is okay.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Re: PSA: Leatherman Warranty No Longer Covers Sheaths.
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 03:25:11 AM
So it appears they finally surrendered to the fact that many of their sheaths aren't up to the task.

Molle pouches bottoms ripping, rivets popping on leather sheaths, threads loosening up on the nylon sheaths...yeah, too many to mention.

Still, compared to some of my Gerber sheaths, LM are head and shoulders above in general.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 03:28:08 AM by babola »
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 03:27:55 AM
thanks for pointing this out,  though I have a drawer full of new and used ones  :whistle:  I use my Skinth EVERY DAY!
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 04:21:14 AM
I was under the impression for the last 5 years or so that Leatherman's warranty didnt cover sheaths.   :think: :think:

au Offline Theo

Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 05:11:02 AM
I was under the impression for the last 5 years or so that Leatherman's warranty didnt cover sheaths.   :think: :think:

It would have been earlier this year when I read in the FAQs about the sheaths being covered. I guess that part of the website could have just not been updated, but either way, they're not covered anymore.

Sometimes if they replace your tool it comes with a new sheath. My Surge did, just a couple of weeks ago, so did my Crunch but when they replaced my Wave, it didn't.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 06:04:20 AM
Mate, if you don't mind me asking - what is the reason so many tools of yours are sent back for replacement?

???

Cheers
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 06:11:50 AM
Mate, if you don't mind me asking - what is the reason so many tools of yours are sent back for replacement?

???

Cheers

Australian.  ::)

au Offline Theo

Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 04:01:16 PM

???

Cheers

The Wave cracked in the spot between the cutout for the blade lock and the base of the pliers when I was squeezing the pliers really hard.

The Crunch wasn't broken, it was faulty, the pin holding the lock release button would fall out.

I broke the lock release buttons on two separate Surges (old and new) by dropping them. The pins that they pivot on are uncharacteristically flimsy, and that was the bit that broke both times. My old Surge is signed by Tim Leatherman, so they fixed that one instead of replacing it, but they just replaced the new Surge when I sent it in.

Edit: I think the lock release button on the Surge should have the pin as a continuous rod across the back of the button, instead of the way it is (I hope I make sense...). Then it would be Theodulf-Proof. I'm considering sending an email to Leatherman with this suggestion and drawing a picture to show what I mean. Because I imagine I'm not the only Surge owner with the dropsies.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:26:48 PM by Theo »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD