Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

When it sounds too good to be true...

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
When it sounds too good to be true...
on: November 04, 2014, 07:51:46 AM
I recently saw the deal of the century on eBay. $20 Vic "Classic Mini Champ". I knew something was up so I purchased two instead of every single one the guy had. Transaction went through, then the next working day I get a call from the seller. "Oh sorry I priced it wrong. I marked down all the "Classic's" to $20. That should have been $50. Can you let me off and I will give them to you at the cost price of $35? Oh! And can you not flame me in the comments."
I don't know. I guess I am too nice a guy and I let the guy off. I decided on taking one at cost. Even though I guess I could have demanded goods as paid.
What have you done in this situation?
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Re: When it sounds too good to be true...
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 08:21:11 AM
At least he gave you a discount, he could have said he has no stock and just refunded the money and called it even. $35 is still a good price for a mini champ. I think you didn't do too bad!

I understand that everybody makes mistakes and I generally don't worry about it if they make good on their mistake.

I've only had 2 bad experiences with eBay sellers, the first was a New $500 Motorcycle Fairing that turned up with runs in the paint, eBay did nothing to help me, saying I'm too picky and if I'm not happy send it back for a refund, $100 shipping at my cost, that seller copped a lot of abuse to the point eBay banned me for a while, the second was a $30 Leatherman Surge which never turned up at all, I'm in the middle of a PayPal dispute at the moment, the seller can't be contacted so it seems the seller was a fraud! No point abusing them since they're not even there.
darren

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 08:33:06 AM
I'd of done the same mate, everyone makes mistakes, and the guy can probably afford to feed his kids now :D

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 11:38:32 AM
Likewise.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 01:46:40 AM
I think the resolution was a fair one for both sides.  Certainly two of the tenets of making good deals are "if something seems too good to be true, it probably is", and "don't give (or let the other side give) away the farm".

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 06:34:39 AM
I think it's poor form for a seller to do that.  He should have taken one on the chin and honored the transaction as it was.  He never should have asked you to concede to his price.  Doesn't make you wrong either way.  If it were me selling and I made that same mistake, I would have honored the mistake price and learned a lesson.  Now, if it were a grossly high loss, then I would simply refund the money and apologize, but a small mistake like that is just water under the bridge.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 07:07:41 AM
Heck that's what I paid for my minichamp last year, though I know your prices are usually higher:/ Honorable move, I would have done the same, mistakes do happen.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 08:31:54 AM
That's what I paid too and it worths every single cent of it. Beeing on my keychain it is the most accessible and therefore the most used tool, and finally the most cost effective and weight effective, miles ahead of the others.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%