Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LM ReCharge with a twist

babola · 47 · 30364

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Re: LM ReCharge with a twist
Reply #30 on: November 02, 2014, 09:56:42 AM
They should choose the Surge arrangement for the next generation of Wave/Charge. Outside beefy scissors, blade holder for T shank saws and an awl will complete that excellent series of tools. I don't mind the replaceable wire cutters but they count too for a lot of people. A new Charge TTi like this would be probably the best multitool in the world.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #31 on: November 02, 2014, 11:02:07 AM
They should choose the Surge arrangement for the next generation of Wave/Charge.

Yeah, while very logical something tells me they won't do that any time soon.  ::)

LM however did something similar with the ST300 and the Rebar.  :think:

EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #32 on: January 15, 2015, 09:25:58 AM
:drool: :drool: :drool:

Besides that, I do think you need to somehow make the clip more matching, too  :pok:

Done!  :)

Added another clip on my Acid Wave, too:

fr Offline Psycopyro

Reply #33 on: February 22, 2016, 09:22:37 PM
Nice one, with superb finish!

What is the method for oxidizing? By heating or something like that?

Offline stolnme1

Reply #34 on: February 23, 2016, 03:44:48 AM
that's bad a$$

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #35 on: February 24, 2016, 12:09:16 AM

OXYAction, Napisan etc laundry whitening/brightening products you can get for few $$ in supermarkets.

Simple and cheap, but very effective.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #36 on: February 24, 2016, 12:09:36 AM

it Offline danilo

Reply #37 on: February 24, 2016, 12:21:46 AM

OXYAction, Napisan etc laundry whitening/brightening products you can get for few $$ in supermarkets.

Simple and cheap, but very effective.
uh  that's beautiful, do you have a link to a tutorial at hand?

thanks!

id Offline titohendrata

Reply #38 on: June 20, 2016, 11:29:49 AM
Finally got around to finish my 'Oxy-ReCharge' project today.  :ahhh

Since for me the MTs need to not only work well but must also look good (Zoidberg, get that smirk off your face! ;)) I sometimes put a little too much emphasis on the appearance, but can't help it, sorry  8) 

So I decided to oxidize the Ti scales to force that well known darker shade of Titanium that normally takes years to develop by a normal oxidation process, plus few extra details you don't see everyday done on an MT.

Mods:

- Swapped stock Charge pliers with the Rebar pliers with replaceable wire cutters.

- Awl also from Rebar - this one wasn't a simple drop in as it required a little bit of 'meat' taken off the top arch closer to the tip so that the pliers would close properly inside the handle. 

- Oxidized Ti scales; although not that visible from the photos, these are now 2-3 shades of gray darker than the original Ti scales. I'll see if I can borrow a standard Charge TTi from a colleague of mine sometime next week for comparison photo.

- Blued pivot screws; I originally wanted to acid etch these but like the blued finish better this time as it's near perfect fit with the Ti scales, almost identical. You wouldn't tell the scales and screws are made from a two very different materials.

- Flattened the dome on screws. While I like button top screws very much, I found a flattened top being in sync with the flat edges of the Ti scales. You may like this or not, but I believe LM should have included slightly flatter screws on a factory standard Charge.

Anyway, that's about it and I'm really stoked how it all came out in the end.  :salute:

(Image removed from quote.)
wow! amazing! ... very good works ...
can you please tell me how you darken the titanium?
indonesianblades #0084704015 jerzeedevil #20174
Leatherman OHT, FKMD-SOG PPP, Wenger Soldier 95, and ... some Balisongs LOL

id Offline titohendrata

Reply #39 on: June 20, 2016, 11:34:56 AM
G'Day,

That looks REALLY good. I'm a big fan of the Ti Charge, and darkening the scales looks fantastic. Would you mind sharing how you did it?

I have heated a set of scales for the rainbow effect, but I think this looks very nice, almost gunmetal gray. Never thought about the screws, I might give them a bit of heat...  :D

Well done,

Pete

Thanks mate...not hard, oxidized them for about 15mins. Will drop you a PM. Cheers.

PM me too, please  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: June 20, 2016, 11:50:41 AM
Finally got around to finish my 'Oxy-ReCharge' project today.  :ahhh

Since for me the MTs need to not only work well but must also look good (Zoidberg, get that smirk off your face! ;)) I sometimes put a little too much emphasis on the appearance, but can't help it, sorry  8) 

So I decided to oxidize the Ti scales to force that well known darker shade of Titanium that normally takes years to develop by a normal oxidation process, plus few extra details you don't see everyday done on an MT.

Mods:

- Swapped stock Charge pliers with the Rebar pliers with replaceable wire cutters.

- Awl also from Rebar - this one wasn't a simple drop in as it required a little bit of 'meat' taken off the top arch closer to the tip so that the pliers would close properly inside the handle. 

- Oxidized Ti scales; although not that visible from the photos, these are now 2-3 shades of gray darker than the original Ti scales. I'll see if I can borrow a standard Charge TTi from a colleague of mine sometime next week for comparison photo.

- Blued pivot screws; I originally wanted to acid etch these but like the blued finish better this time as it's near perfect fit with the Ti scales, almost identical. You wouldn't tell the scales and screws are made from a two very different materials.

- Flattened the dome on screws. While I like button top screws very much, I found a flattened top being in sync with the flat edges of the Ti scales. You may like this or not, but I believe LM should have included slightly flatter screws on a factory standard Charge.

Anyway, that's about it and I'm really stoked how it all came out in the end.  :salute:

wow! amazing! ... very good works ...
can you please tell me how you darken the titanium?

Babola's Acid Wave project

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #41 on: June 20, 2016, 12:07:38 PM
To darken Titanium, it has to oxidize. I use simple and cheap method with Napisan, OxyClean or any other oxidizing stain remover you can find in your local supermarket.

Warm up the water in a small container, add powder (approx 1 Tbsp per cup of hot water), agitate slowly and wait. Remove the Ti bits from liquid and wash under the tap. Repeat as required to reach desired darkness.

Nothing to it, really.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #42 on: June 20, 2016, 12:10:18 PM

That method (acid etching using ferric chloride) works on steel, copper etc but doesn't on Ti, unfortunately.
Ti darkens thru oxidation.   :)

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: June 20, 2016, 12:22:43 PM

That method (acid etching using ferric chloride) works on steel, copper etc but doesn't on Ti, unfortunately.

Yeah I completely misread and misinterpreted this.   :facepalm:   :facepalm:   Happens.   :kirky:

Secondly, after I posted my Oxy-ReCharge mod over at EDCF couple of members over there asked me if I could post my next mod in steps, kind of tutorial style.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #44 on: June 20, 2016, 02:15:23 PM
Babola is quite the Inspiration, his acid wave thread convinced me to create my Blue Collar Surge. And now my Charge TTi is in peices waiting for oxidation and new parts.......

Instead of liquid or electrical oxidation I may really slow it down with some direct heat.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: June 20, 2016, 03:42:28 PM
Very nice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

id Offline titohendrata

Reply #46 on: June 20, 2016, 08:42:35 PM
To darken Titanium, it has to oxidize. I use simple and cheap method with Napisan, OxyClean or any other oxidizing stain remover you can find in your local supermarket.

Warm up the water in a small container, add powder (approx 1 Tbsp per cup of hot water), agitate slowly and wait. Remove the Ti bits from liquid and wash under the tap. Repeat as required to reach desired darkness.

Nothing to it, really.

thank you, very appreciate it  :salute: ... I will do looking for stain removal available here and try :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32