Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Wave and Victorinox Spirit

Aloha · 61 · 12259

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Leatherman Wave and Victorinox Spirit
on: March 03, 2015, 05:45:08 PM
Here I am again.  I posted a while back asking about the Victorinox Multitools while being highly recommended seem less carried than other multitools.  The poll was resounding with Leatherman being carried more than Victorinox Multitool.

I have my thoughts as to why that I will discuss in time.   

Just so we're clear I'm talking PLIER based y'all.  Ok so I recently posted trying to highlight the Swisschamp and Wave and while I made no mention I was comparing a member asked about Spirit vs Wave comparison.   

Here is how I feel,  What works for me may not work for you.  What you decide to carry is solely based off your needs and vise versa.  There is no perfect tool for me so what I deem comes closest is what I carry. 

I also need to mention that YES I LOVE THE WAVE.  It's no secret that I prefer to carry and do carry the Wave and it's larger brother the Surge ( I have 4 ) over most multitools.

Lastly, for those who own both the Wave and Spirit please weigh in.  I think both are outstanding tools and I'd be happy to carry any of them.  I just prefer the Wave for what I do. 

I like the Victorinox Multitools they're great however only my Swisstool gets to see usage not my Spirits.  I have all the tools that I'll discuss and I have the Charges as well.  I prefer the Wave and I'll try to be as un biased as possible however it is what it is.   

Ok lets begin.   

IMG_6797.jpg
* IMG_6797.jpg (Filesize: 321.95 KB)
IMG_6798.JPG
* IMG_6798.JPG (Filesize: 209.35 KB)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 06:02:14 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

za Offline hugos

Re: Leatherman Wave and Victorinox Spirit
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 06:18:11 PM
I also have both the Wave and the Spirit. I prefer the Wave. The Wave is more robust and can handle more use and abuse than my Spirit. Some of the reasons for me saying this is that the scissors on the Spirit is utter c$&p! I used the awl to make a hole in my Leather belt and the sharp edge formed a burr!
I have had several LM's over the years, and own quite a few as part of my collection, so the Spirit was a gift from the wife and first "try" of Vic's plier based tools. Maybe i expected too much considering that i also own quite a few Vic knives.

Mine also features the "off level" handles when closed up.

Mine does shelf duty now.

Sorry, but, i will not buy another one in my lifetime!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 06:20:24 PM by hugos »
Hugo Smith

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 06:38:55 PM
Nowaday cell phones are getting bigger and bigger, I need to use a pouch to carry mine. So i do not want to carry another pouch on belt for a MT, pocket clip is the only way I carry a mid size MT. OHO feature also save me some weight on carrying a dedicated folder.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 06:40:34 PM
The Wave and the Spirit X are probably the most "like" each other so lets start with that. 

Victorinox Spirit X
I'll refer you to the Sakwiki page for a descrition of tools that are on the Spirit X
http://[url]http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Spirit[/url]

Leatherman Wave SS
I'll refer you to the Leahtherman page for the description
http://www.leatherman.com/10.html

Price
The price of both these tools varies so nailing down a solid price is difficult.  It is also difficult because while cheaper in the US the Wave is quite pricy in other parts of the world. 

Winner
NONE

Variations
The Spirit comes in a variety of configurations and colors. There is definitely a Spirit to suit your needs.

The Wave comes in different colors and plier head choices.  The tool load out however is standard for the model.  I'd argue the Charge series is the "upgraded" Wave since it comes equipped with all the same features as the Wave ( most models ).  The Charge comes with upgraded blade steel and scales.

Winner
NONE

Pliers Non Cap Crimper
See attached pictures.  These measurements are rough so they need be used as a guide only.

The pliers while similar in terms of what they try to be are very different.  If you want a precise needle nose then the Wave is your choice. 
If you like more aggressive serrations on your "bolt grabbing area" then the Spirit is your choice. 
If you want more wire cutting area the Wave is your choice*
 ( Enki made a great video showing the Spirit in action I'll try to find it )   
* I'm not sure the Spirit did well on certain wire.
** Neither wire cutters cut paper at all.  Leatherman says theirs can but mine do not.
If longer plier reach is needed then Wave is your choice.

Winner
None

IMG_6799.jpg
* IMG_6799.jpg (Filesize: 283.71 KB)
IMG_6801.jpg
* IMG_6801.jpg (Filesize: 234.25 KB)
IMG_6802.jpg
* IMG_6802.jpg (Filesize: 248.15 KB)
IMG_6803.jpg
* IMG_6803.jpg (Filesize: 144.05 KB)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 07:21:36 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 06:41:15 PM
Pliers
IMG_6804.jpg
* IMG_6804.jpg (Filesize: 143.04 KB)
IMG_6805.jpg
* IMG_6805.jpg (Filesize: 160.4 KB)
IMG_6806.jpg
* IMG_6806.jpg (Filesize: 140.97 KB)
IMG_6807.jpg
* IMG_6807.jpg (Filesize: 135.26 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 06:42:50 PM
Pliers
IMG_6808.jpg
* IMG_6808.jpg (Filesize: 133.98 KB)
IMG_6809.jpg
* IMG_6809.jpg (Filesize: 151.08 KB)
IMG_6810.jpg
* IMG_6810.jpg (Filesize: 134.4 KB)
IMG_6811.jpg
* IMG_6811.jpg (Filesize: 149.84 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 06:46:01 PM
Pliers

Handles when pliers fully open
IMG_6812.jpg
* IMG_6812.jpg (Filesize: 163.16 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 07:19:26 PM
Handles
The Spirit as we know very well is a highly polished tool.  It looks gorgeous and has a definite high quality feel and workings.  The arch of the handles is very comfortable in hand when in plier mode.  The inward arch when using the outside tools is also very comfortable.  Its very smooth in hand and has a terrific feel over all.  I like how the locks are positions and the scallops/ridges on the mechanism. There were no sharp edges at all on any of my Spirits.

The Wave is brushed and looks industrial.  All my Waves came with sharp edges that were uncomfortable in hand.  All outside opening tools protrude and when using any outside tool the opposing tools are noticeable to your hand. 
* I smoothed out all my rough edges and highly polished my Waves. This was an easy and fun process for me.
The tool in pier mode is comfortable since the inside handles are rounded.  All inboard tools are flush so when bearing down there is no discomfort to my hand.  The handles have a great feature, metric and imperial markings.

**The Spirit is pinned making any adjustments not happening.  The Wave uses torx screw so any adjustments are easy ( relatively speaking ).

The Spirit is longer tho narrower and thinner than the Wave.

Winner
None       
IMG_6813.jpg
* IMG_6813.jpg (Filesize: 137.38 KB)
IMG_6815.jpg
* IMG_6815.jpg (Filesize: 145 KB)
IMG_6817.jpg
* IMG_6817.jpg (Filesize: 143.35 KB)
IMG_6818.jpg
* IMG_6818.jpg (Filesize: 70.05 KB)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 07:22:30 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Grail Knight

• Who Dares Wins!
Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 07:21:53 PM
I own both the Wave and Spirit as well.
The Spirit sits in my range bag as I consider it light duty (firearms, fishing equipment, etc...)

The Wave is my around the house/outdoors tool and is used quite a bit.
The Wave seems more robust overall especially the pliers and as I do not have en extra one of each to destroy testing
those feelings I will use each tool as I am doing now.

On a side note my bugout bag tho has a Leatherman 300 because I figure if I ever need to use the bugout bag something has seriously gone South and I need the big boy tool on my person for whatever the future holds.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 07:29:57 PM
I'll continue the discussion later I have to get ready for work. 

I have the Surge for days when I feel a larger tool will be needed same goes for my ST300 and Swisstool.  The Wave is an all around performer so it sees lots of work. 
IMG_6816.jpg
* IMG_6816.jpg (Filesize: 121.98 KB)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 07:32:00 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 12:01:53 AM
Amici,
I also have both but tend to carry neither since they both seem to be on the heavy side for pocket carry.. I did add the Night Eyez clip to the Spirit that made it also made it clip friendly but still a tad to big for my tastes at the moment..

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 01:37:30 AM
Serge, that is a one very respectable position as well.  These tools no matter how terrific are "heavy" for some.  I had hoped my post about the Swisschamp offered a consideration for some, heck that tool for many is also much to heavy. 

The great thing is we can find something that works for us and regardless of plier based of knife based or neither still be more than confident in what we choose to carry.

:salute: Thank you for your insights.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 02:58:50 AM
Main Blade

The Spirits main blade is slimmer yet the same length as a 91mm SAK.  It deploys using a nail nick and is super smooth thru the whole motion.  It locks up very secure and at about the 3/4 mark of opening there is an audible and noticeable clunk.  Its where the notch of the blade rests in the tines of the locking mechanism for just a moment.  Its very satisfying actually and what most user describe as clicks however once fully opened the blade also "clicks" into place.
I can close the blade using one hand however opening it does involve two hands.  The sharpness is what we all know from our SAKs and while thicker at the pivot it does taper towards the tip. Opening the blade with medium thick leather gloves for was not possible.     

The Leatherman plain edge main blade is meant to open one handed.  The cut out on mine was sharp on the inside yet once smoothed out my thumb fit very comfortably.  The spine of the blade is smooth so that you can tell it apart from the SE main blade
 ( the SE has jimping ).
The blade on mine came very sharp and the shape is terrific.  The lock up is tight with no movement in any direction.  I like the pointy tip for piercing if you really want premium steel then S30V is available on the Charge TTi, 154CM is available on the Charge AL. 
The secondary blade is fully serrated and is also one hand opening.  The spine has jimping as mentioned so locating this blade with bare hands should be easy.  It opened very smooth throughout the whole motion and locked up tight.  Closing either blade with one hand is just as easy.  I've used mine with medium thick leather gloves and had no problem at all. 

Winner
None             
IMG_6830.jpg
* IMG_6830.jpg (Filesize: 186.19 KB)
IMG_6831.jpg
* IMG_6831.jpg (Filesize: 170.37 KB)
IMG_6832.jpg
* IMG_6832.jpg (Filesize: 158.1 KB)
IMG_6840.jpg
* IMG_6840.jpg (Filesize: 170.3 KB)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 03:02:33 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 02:59:52 AM
The SAK used as a reference was a 91mm Deluxe tinker.
IMG_6842.jpg
* IMG_6842.jpg (Filesize: 177.15 KB)
IMG_6844.jpg
* IMG_6844.jpg (Filesize: 166.38 KB)
IMG_6845.jpg
* IMG_6845.jpg (Filesize: 157.45 KB)
IMG_6846.jpg
* IMG_6846.jpg (Filesize: 170.22 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 03:01:03 AM
Serrated Main Blade
It's nice to have a secondary knife blade.  This blade can serve as a backup or on its own for material that SE blades work so well on or as a "rescue" blade.
IMG_6847.jpg
* IMG_6847.jpg (Filesize: 163.42 KB)
IMG_6848.jpg
* IMG_6848.jpg (Filesize: 161.33 KB)
IMG_6849.jpg
* IMG_6849.jpg (Filesize: 158.42 KB)
IMG_6850.jpg
* IMG_6850.jpg (Filesize: 158.98 KB)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 03:05:09 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 03:25:40 AM
 :popcorn:

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 03:59:52 AM
Saws

The Spirit has a terrific saw.  Its roughly the same length as the Waves yet the teeth are very different.  Both the Spirit and the Wave have shorter saws ( by a few teeth ) than a standard 91mm SAK. The saw like all tools on the Spirit open two handed by nail nick and locks securely.  It cuts in both directions and removes a lot of material very efficiently. 

The Wave also has a great saw.  The teeth are angled toward the tool thus cutting on the pull.  It opens using the notch at the end and locks into place just as solid as the other blades.  This tool resides on the outside that is not necessarily one handed opening however it can be done.

Winner
None

IMG_6851.jpg
* IMG_6851.jpg (Filesize: 179.28 KB)
IMG_6852.jpg
* IMG_6852.jpg (Filesize: 162.27 KB)
IMG_6854.jpg
* IMG_6854.jpg (Filesize: 158.96 KB)
IMG_6855.jpg
* IMG_6855.jpg (Filesize: 148.81 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 04:00:36 AM
Saws
IMG_6856.jpg
* IMG_6856.jpg (Filesize: 166.35 KB)
IMG_6857.jpg
* IMG_6857.jpg (Filesize: 175.54 KB)
IMG_6858.jpg
* IMG_6858.jpg (Filesize: 177.62 KB)
IMG_6859.jpg
* IMG_6859.jpg (Filesize: 172.8 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 04:01:32 AM
Saws
IMG_6860.jpg
* IMG_6860.jpg (Filesize: 152.24 KB)
IMG_6861.jpg
* IMG_6861.jpg (Filesize: 170.33 KB)
IMG_6862.jpg
* IMG_6862.jpg (Filesize: 207.72 KB)
IMG_6863.jpg
* IMG_6863.jpg (Filesize: 205.33 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 04:02:10 AM
Saws

This pic is simply showing the length of the 91mm ( Swisschamp ) saw vs the Spirit and Wave.

Not much to say about the saw on either tool other than they work and work very good within their limits.  Its great to have a capable saw on my multitool and having one is a huge plus and consideration when I buy.   
IMG_6864.jpg
* IMG_6864.jpg (Filesize: 219.86 KB)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 04:06:29 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 05:40:58 AM
Main Blade
Winner
None           

Wave is clearly the winner in blade department, I wonder why you stated there is no winner.
 ???
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 05:41:59 AM by Kampfer »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 06:30:35 AM
Main Blade
Winner
None           

Wave is clearly the winner in blade department, I wonder why you stated there is no winner.
 ???

As you might see a trend I'm not going to state a winner.  I've already mentioned I prefer and carry the Wave.  This post is really for those who are having a hard time between these two so called best of the best.  I carried the Spirit when I first got it and while it is great in hand and looks amazing it fell flat for me.  It did inspire me to polish my Wave and refine it to make it as perfect as I could without modding. 

I actually like the Swisstool better than the Spirit.  I carry mine and use the heck out of it.  The Spirit to me in all honestly is like some expensive knives I see people carrying and not using.  Its pocket jewelry for some and a statement piece to others.

Some have pointed out the wobbly handles on the Spirit, I could careless however it does prove there are no perfect MTs.  The almighty Vic brand vs Leatherman is BS, carry what works for you.   

There is no perfect MT that's why we have the amazing modders we have.  Kam you have one of the most bad ass MTs made.  The mini Surge is a freaking beast.  Other have made some sweet designs that fit their needs as well.  It's interesting to me that the base tool is a Leatherman typically with some Gerber here and there. 

I like Victorinox however they IMO got lazy.  The plier head redesign was great but what have we seen from them since?  Heck I don't want to rant much more since I was trying to be unbiased but it really is no secret that for me personally the Wave and Surge are the best MT so far.

If you don't like something on a Leatherman then unscrew it and change it, try that on a Spirit or Swisstool.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 07:32:38 AM
Like Joel said. :popcorn:

I am wondering why you did not add more pictures to this compare. Would have took it over the top in usefulness. Inexcusable really.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 07:35:26 AM
Like Joel said. :popcorn:

I am wondering why you did not add more pictures to this compare. Would have took it over the top in usefulness. Inexcusable really.

I'm so ashamed.  I still have more tools to go and I haven't even got to the sheaths. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 07:50:18 AM
It's all good.  I thought you were going to tell us who the winner is in each department. I see now.  :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 07:54:18 AM
It's all good.  I thought you were going to tell us who the winner is in each department. I see now.  :salute:

The great thing is the winners are those that decide to carry a MT or SAK or implement that gives us some ability and usefulness.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 08:47:04 AM

The great thing is the winners are those that decide to carry a MT or SAK or implement that gives us some ability and usefulness.

I am finally a winner!

us Offline BASguy

Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 03:59:55 AM
Well, it's been a lot of interesting perspective so I'll toss my 2¢ in.  I am a hard core MultiTool user as a tradesman.  I don't just carry to be prepared, I use the tool for work everyday, so I absolutely need the best tool.  By best, clearly I mean, best for me.  I think most people know I am Pro Spirit so let's be clear on that up front.  Now, let qualify that by stating I carried a Wave everyday for 14 years and it performed admirably, however it was/is deficient compared to the Spirit for my work needs.
First off, ergonomics is a clear winner for the Spirit.  Anyone that has both tools can go grab them and hold one in each hand and squeeze.  The Spirit is comfortable and the Wave is 4 sharp awkward corners digging into your hands.
OHO is not a plus for me to deploy a blade.  We have a strict safety policy that requires wearing cut resistant gloves when using tools.  I'm never in a hurry to deploy a blade.  Also, I prefer the butter knife only on the Spirit.  The Wave serrated blade is very good, but I have no use for the drop point blade.  The Wave is uncomfortable to hold, so cutting is awkward for me with it.  Couple that with an aggressive point on the straight blade and it's not for me.  I carry a Pioneer for general blade needs.
Next, I can deploy every single tool on my Spirit one at a time with gloves on.  I cannot deploy the tools on my Wave without taking my gloves off (with the exception of the outside blades).
I don't like clumping tools.  The spring loaded tools on Spirit are much easier to deploy.
The tools on the Spirit lock.  They do not on the Wave.  Again......safety first.
The bit drivers on the Spirit are longer and more useful for me. 
I work in mechanical rooms, etc where there are lots of floor drains, etc.  I like to avoid removable bits if possible, but that is even secondary to the fact that the stubby reach limits the practical use.
I prefer the scissors on the Spirit.  They are sturdier and sharper.  The minimal opening jaws don't affect me as I've never needed them to open wider to cut something.  I'm not cutting swathes of wrapping paper with them, I am "snipping" things.  They lock and they are sturdy.
The Spirit has a better wire scraper.
The Spirits dual hard wire cutter indents make it an acceptable go to stripper for small gauge stranded wire.  As I work with 18-22 gauge wire everyday, it does this better than the Wave.  I need to be clear that no MultiTool is a good substitute for a proper wire stripper, I'm just stating the Spirit is better in a pinch. 
I don't use a MultiTool to cut stranded wire heavier than 18 gauge so the cutters are of little significance to me.  I will say, I used the Spirit to cut through a chain link fence when I had to access a remote cell tower on a mountain top and the combo I was given for the fence lock didn't work.
I have no need for longer needle nose than the Spirit pliers.  They work fine for my needs.  I'm constantly using them to grab and move small jumpers and they work just as well as my Wave ever did. 
Fit and finish..... Hands down the Spirit.  That's really a non factor for me.  I'm not careful with tools.  I expect them to perform.
These are the reasons why the Spirit is a better fit for my needs.  With the Spirit I get a tool that does everything I expect and is more comfortable to use.  It also has slightly elevated my expectations as I can use the drivers in more applications where the stubby Wave drivers weren't functional.
Now, if the Spirit didn't exist, I can assure you I could have went the rest of my career using the Wave and would have been just fine with it.  I'm just pleased that I found a step up from adequately functional. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 07:01:35 AM
I prefer the Spirit over the Charge (and wave) and the Surge over the Swisstool. So it is a tie but I EDC the Spirit in fact. I carried both lighter tools for almost a year and I just found myself taking out the Spirit in almost every situation. It's merits are already described but I am personally also more familiar with the blades of the Spirit because I used SAKs for 30 years.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 08:46:10 AM
BASguy great post  :tu: and thank you very much for sharing your experiences. 

I'm to assume you were using the Old Wave as the New Wave I have pictured has all locking tools.  My Wave was not smooth out the box yet it's as polished and smooth as any of my Victorinox Multitools now.   

I am also a fan of the butter blade, recently I reupholstered some seat cushions and my roommate was using her Spirit to help.  The butter blade was a dream on the thick fabric cutting thru it with no effort.  I actually had some trouble using my Swisschamps main blade. 

I don't cut wire so it's great to hear you have found the Spirits wire cutters to be good.  I have to mention that I hear all the time about not being in a rush to deploy a blade as a way IMO to offset this ABILITY of the Wave.  OHO is about ability and connivence not hurry.  Heck if I was in a hurry I'd carry my Emerson YMMV. 

It's great to hear your Spirit is treating you well.  Again thank you for your post, outstanding. 

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:47:21 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32