Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mtech USA 4.75" neck knife review.

Gareth · 13 · 3021

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Mtech USA 4.75" neck knife review.
on: March 19, 2015, 01:05:43 PM
I was asked a little while ago to do a quick review of this little knife.  Having now had a chance to use it for a few tasks I'm happy to report that this is indeed a nice little item.  First of I have to point out it's striking similarity to the Boker Magnum Lil' Friend Clip Point.  With only a slightly different blade and lanyard ring shape I am all but convinced that they come out of the same factory.

It comes with a Kydex sheath and ball chain (the whistle I've added).  The Kydex is on the thin side but it does a good job of holding the knife in place and, given the low price of the knife, it seems to be better than you could expect.  Do note though that there isn't any kind of belt attachment on this, it's only for hanging around your neck.  It's also small enough that you can drop the whole thing in your pocket if that's what you want.

Talking of size, this is indeed a very small knife.  The blade is just 2" long and the whole thing is 4 3/4" inches long (as you'd expect from the name).  The blade is quite stout at around 1/8" across the spine.

OK, the size.  Now I don't have big hands but this thing does kinda get lost, even in my moderate sized mitts.  OK for quick bits of work, but I'd not want to use it for hours at a time. 

Adding the little cord fob on the end does help some, especially for removing the knife from the sheath.

The jimping on the back of the blade is well done.  Grippy but not so aggressive as to be uncomfortable on your thumb when in use.  There is also jimping towards the back of the handle, sitting just under your ring finger when held.  The scales are listed as being G-10 and I don't have any reason to disbelieve them. 

As I said above this isn't a knife I'd want to use for a long time, but for a few minutes it's perfectly OK.  The relatively thick spine doesn't make for a great slicer, and I have to say the edge angle was massively obtuse when I first got it.  After a little work on some stones I brought the angle down a little and gave it a working edge.  I gave it a go making some feather-sticks when out camping and it did OK.  Not great, but OK.  However for a quick cutting of tape, cord, cardboard or whatever is just fine.

All-in-all I'm very happy with this little guy. :salute:  Oh, and did I mention that this can be had for around $10 in the US, or £10 in the UK?  Very good deal IMO.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Mtech USA 4.75" neck knife review.
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 01:09:01 PM
Looks like a nice for sure. Thanks for the review.
Nate

SEND IT!

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 01:17:12 PM
This looks like a good knife to give to a kid, then*. Thanks for the review :salute:

*Though neck-carry or pocket carry may not be such a good idea, after all.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 01:18:15 PM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 04:23:25 AM
For ten bucks, you could do much, much worse. If all you have to do is sharpen it, thats a smurfing good deal. Mtech isn't great, but you can do much worse for more money, like, say, I don't know... some of the current Camillus offerings?

You could carry this on your belt. Aadd some para cord and a good knot and you've got loops- works better if the sheath is inside of the belt. I've carried several flat fixed blades that way- a CRKT Dragon is my usual small of the back blade where I can reach it with either hand, but I've done others. Although these days, I sometimes just make a loop from some scrap leather or use a small MALICE clip and attach it to the sheath with electricians tape.  :facepalm:
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 04:47:39 AM
Looks good Gareth, thanks for the review  :salute:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 06:26:59 AM

What he said  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 06:35:44 AM

What he said  :tu:

+1 Thanks for the info Gareth.  :cheers:  I've been looking at a few small cheap blades but hadn't seen that one.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 09:02:00 AM
Cheers gents. :cheers:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 09:21:16 AM
Great review mate :tu:

Looks a bit too small for my mitts, but a good alternative to a Mora at that price! :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 09:43:34 AM
Meh, I wouldn't go so far as to say a "good alternative" to a Mora. ;)  It's something different for sure, stainless, and smaller, but the cutting edge isn't in the same league.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 12:20:05 PM
Thanks for the review buddy, not that it means anything, but it does look like a more expensive knife than it actually is. I like the look of it. :salute:
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 08:11:12 PM
Thanks for the good review. I like to read this kind of low budget knife reviews.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 08:43:13 PM
Thanks for this review. I definitely want one of these  :drool:
SAW

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00