Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

93mm Syph mod to show, and an opinion needed on another 93mm.

Joe58 · 11 · 1340

us Offline Joe58

:salute:

Hello Forumites -

I've a couple alox 93mm models to show today.

The first one is a mod done by Syph for me. I'm continually creating different versions of the soldier/pioneer, electrician models. I like the second small blade since I personally have not much use for the can opener. The second blade is nice to have. IMHO.

Quite awhile back, I was able to snag a red alox version of the settler that has the small clip blade, as opposed to a small pen as most are. Looking at that one, I thought the small clip blade would be kind of nice in lieu of the eblade. But, I didn't want to sacrifice my only model like that one. Little while back, I came across another of these modesl, only in blue. Since the blue alox models don't appeal to me too much, I had Robert do the switch for me. Using a red alox electrician he had previously created for me. So now I have an electrician with a small clip blade as opposed to the eblade. He was also able to repin the blue one, now with the eblade, good as new. Roberts usual good work is quite evident. I know perhaps some of these models I likely should be saving without modding them, but I figure I'd like to enjoy them while I'm here. :)

The second knife is one I need some thoughts on, as it has me a bit puzzled. I purchased it off eBay and its on the way now to me. The seller advised the knife is how he found it many years ago now. But that's all he knows about it.

I'm puzzled about the tool selection not matching the scales at all. The 97 blade isn't all that unusual to see, but all the tools seem relatively new, while the scales are clearly pocket worn which comes from a lot of carry. Which to me should show on the tools as well from use. Someone carried the knife that long but never used it? Dunno.

If you look at the more close up pics, you can still see the red around the pins where it's not worn off. So I don't think it's modded. Syph said the pins look factory to him as well. Perhaps it was a factory rebuild? But if that were the case, there shouldn't be red anodizing around the pins I'd think.

So I figured I get the experts on here to give me their thoughts.

Thanks guys!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 04:46:43 PM by Joe58 »
🇨🇭

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Perhaps it's a silver Electrician that had been "colored" (paint?) and that has now worn off. I say this because a factory red knife would not have anodizing on the pins because the scales are anodized separately before assembly.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Joe58

IIRC SAK Guy, you've a red alox pioneer (?) that's worn down similar to this one. Can you look at yours and see if around the pins shows anything? I may be wrong also. It does look like the red around the pins, but it could just be gunk or something too. Dunno.

Thanks!
🇨🇭

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Perhaps it's a silver Electrician that had been "colored" (paint?) and that has now worn off. I say this because a factory red knife would not have anodizing on the pins because the scales are anodized separately before assembly.

I was thinking the same. Shouldn't be any coloring on the pins.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
The last photo shows that the inside of the scale is silver, not red - I'd say it's a DIY paint job and not a factory red electrician.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
IIRC SAK Guy, you've a red alox pioneer (?) that's worn down similar to this one. Can you look at yours and see if around the pins shows anything? I may be wrong also. It does look like the red around the pins, but it could just be gunk or something too. Dunno.

Thanks!

One of mine...
Pioneer pin.JPG
* Pioneer pin.JPG (Filesize: 89.05 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Joe58

The last photo shows that the inside of the scale is silver, not red - I'd say it's a DIY paint job and not a factory red electrician.

Ah, good catch. I hadn't noticed that.

But even still, I would still figure on more tool use/wear if the paint is that worn off. Who knows....
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 06:55:57 PM by Joe58 »
🇨🇭

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Correct, there were no red Electricians from the factory as far as I know. That is red lacquer or paint there applied by somebody. Note the scales are not truly worn enough either.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Correct, there were no red Electricians from the factory as far as I know. That is red lacquer or paint there applied by somebody. Note the scales are not truly worn enough either.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55753.msg979567.html#msg979567
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Joe58

Well, the knife arrived and it does appear as the experts here are correct. At one time or another, someone used some type type of red coating on the outside of the scales. Not sure what. The inside is still in silver.

The tools do show some mild use but not too much. Near the front of the cutting edge of the eblade, there is a small ding but I think it'll sharpen out.

Judging by the edge wear on the scales, it has had carry, but it's still tight and in good shape, so it'll make a good user. Like I need another user, but need never factors in anymore. Lol.

Sak Guy - One of these days I'll find a true red electrician. Or I'm going to have to make a trip to Texas and raid your stash. :)
🇨🇭

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
LOL! Thanks buddy! I appreciate the complement! :cheers: 
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!