Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Light hammock & tarp

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Light hammock & tarp
on: August 03, 2015, 12:01:31 PM
Hi Everybody

My DIY hammock is a bit of a beast, I'm using it as an alternative to a tent, so my car is doing the carrying.

I do believe my hammock obsession started with Ray Mears, so I've always wanted a light and portable setup like he used......easier said than done.

The only hammock I've ever seen for sale locally was TTTM (very briefly in one shop) and a Seagull industries Camperman.
It's very cheap, seem to recall its rated for 120kg, but I seriously doubt it would take that weight, and thus definitely not mine...

This weekend I decided to buy one just to test, if the ropes ripped out I'd still have a good piece of material take could be re-purposed.
While looking it over I had a brainwave - if I double them up it should conservatively be able to carry 200kg.  Still worried they might be too short.......
I'm going to buy another today after work, if all fails I should be able to make the tarp I've been looking for from the remains.

Which brings me to tarps.........also bought a First Ascent 5-in-1 Poncho tarp which was not cheap  >:(

I'm hoping the doubled-up hammocks and poncho tarp will finally give me a light-weight low-hassle solution for sleeping out.

Cheers
Gerhard

• No Life Club
Re: Light hammock & tarp
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 05:58:40 PM
It works

The temporary rope I used to suspend it for the test broke....along with my coccyx during the landing  :facepalm:
 :cry:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 07:14:00 PM
Any pictures of the setup?

I would imagine the hammocks your making are cheaper than the cost of a name brand? (Usually an ENO double nest is roughly 60USD)

Have you looked into Dyneema Whoopie Slings? They have saved my coccyx more than a few times!

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 09:16:08 AM
Any pictures of the setup?

I would imagine the hammocks your making are cheaper than the cost of a name brand? (Usually an ENO double nest is roughly 60USD)

Have you looked into Dyneema Whoopie Slings? They have saved my coccyx more than a few times!

Hi

I bought these, they are very simple and extremely cheap, US$13 each.

I would gladly pay US$60 for something proper,  but I don't do credit cards and international deliveries to us is a bit hit&miss for things like that.

Sorry, no pics, and honestly it'll be a while before I even look at that mess again.
It works in principle, so I've got something light.....for when the pain stops.  Few months from previous experience....

I weigh 130kg, knowing the knots would pull tight and it being temporary I used loops.  They held but there was some movement that caused the ropes to actually fuse.
I adjusted for the stretch, but the 80kg rope had weakened and broke where it'd fused.

Dyneema Whoopie Slings - looks like something for normal people.  :D
I'll stick to considerably thicker nylon rope in the future, works fine for my heavy duty hammock.

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 01:28:20 PM
Hi

Small update, but sorry, still no pics.

The rigging is now 10mm Nylon rope and 4 x 6mm screw carbiners - tested without further bodily harm.

I'm using the method Dave Canterbury showed in a YT video and it works great.

The 2 hammocks, poncho and 2 x 7m ropes fill less than half a 20L (or 25L) waterproof bag.

The self-inflating pillow used with my other hammock will move to this kit, and I want to get the smallest fleece blanket I can fit that will still be useful.

I'll either get a yoga mat or hopefully some of that Mylar bubble plastic roof insulation that I plan to insert between the 2 hammocks for insulation.

I'm very chuffed to have a (warm weather at least) sleeping setup this light.

I suspect a fleece blanket on a Nylon  hammock could give a Van de Graaff generator a run for its money  :P :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%