Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

VEX Robotics

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
VEX Robotics
on: December 13, 2015, 03:20:29 AM
Some of you may know this, but I was a mentor for a First robotic team a few years ago until the team got disbanded. Then, First was replaced by VEX which is an easier robotics program to get into for schools. First required big bucks, plenty of mentors from outside the school as well as inside, and a full tech shop wing to float the team on. VEX on the other hand doesn't require as much money, mentors, and no need for metal lathes and CNC machines, etc.

I was the official VEX competition photographer for the last few years. This year, I was a team coach at my school.

We got skunked out but the kids had a lot of fun. Here are a few photos that do not show any of the participants.

There were 18 teams at this local competition. One team even came up from the Toronto area. We fielded 4 teams, 142A, 142B, 142C, and 142D. Here are the results at the finals...but the red side won...meaning we won't be sending anyone to the Provincial meet this year.

Here was this years game playing field. The game is called Nothing But Net. The object was to have an autonomous mode first, then have the team drivers control the bots. The goal was to either fling balls into the net (green balls worth 5 points, orange balls worth 10 points each), or to either get them over/under the goal post (green balls worth 1 point, orange balls worth 2 points each). If time was permitted, one bot might drive onto another and the lower bot could lift the other 4", that would be worth 25 points, and if it could lift the bot above the game fence, that would be worth 50 points.

Here is our only lifter bot. In fact, we had the only one at the competition.

And another of our 4 bots.

Our school banners for the robotics program.

Next up is our VEX IQ competitions sometime in mid January. This is for our grade 7 and 8 teams. VEX IQ is much like Lego Mindstorm, only a little more advanced.  :salute:

http://www.vexrobotics.com/
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 03:33:35 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: VEX Robotics
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 04:01:09 AM
Man I wish my schools were that cool when I was a kid. That looks awesome!
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 12:07:34 PM
It is great fun. The best part is to see the design process that goes on with the passage of time, and it all ends up in a competition. I really enjoyed watching what the other teams from other schools came up with.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 12:13:54 PM
Next time take a video.   :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 12:16:58 PM
I do have a video...but can't post it as it shows student faces...this being a school function and all.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88