Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiza SAKs?

Grass · 135 · 16052

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: Swiza SAKs?
Reply #30 on: October 23, 2015, 02:47:46 PM
Hey, they're actually dishwasher safe? That's cool! Really nice if using them for messy food.

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #31 on: October 23, 2015, 02:50:55 PM
Interesting. No scissors or pliers. Those moving parts are expensive and hard to make well. Makes sense to not have them when first starting out.

My only concern is if Swiza fails.  Victorinox already bought one of Peter Hug's companies (Wenger) to keep it from being bought out by the Chinese.  I don't think Vic would buy another company off him.

^^^ Now, that was mean! :rofl:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #32 on: October 23, 2015, 03:13:27 PM
Interesting. No scissors or pliers. Those moving parts are expensive and hard to make well. Makes sense to not have them when first starting out.

My only concern is if Swiza fails.  Victorinox already bought one of Peter Hug's companies (Wenger) to keep it from being bought out by the Chinese.  I don't think Vic would buy another company off him.

They won't. Wenger was well known knife company and had a long history in Switzerland.

That's us mobile.
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #33 on: October 23, 2015, 03:19:14 PM

They won't. Wenger was well known knife company and had a long history in Switzerland.

That's us mobile.
Nate

You never know. Maybe they become incredibly popular in no time :shrug: I don't think they will, I'm just saying.

:rofl: :rofl:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #34 on: October 23, 2015, 03:48:30 PM

I think they were buying the trademark "The Genuine Swiss Army Knife" more than anything else.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #35 on: October 23, 2015, 03:51:50 PM
These look interesting but I will stick with my well-proven and tested Victorinox :salute:
SAW

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #36 on: October 23, 2015, 04:04:57 PM
If they innovate like wenger did with interesting tools, they MIGHT carve out a niche.  But since Victorinox has been THE tool for 125 years... good luck with that.  :D 

If it was my company Id target a high end niche market.  Do high end blade steels and finishes.  People want that.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #37 on: October 23, 2015, 04:29:37 PM

I think they were buying the trademark "The Genuine Swiss Army Knife" more than anything else.

So the Vic Delemont line is a result of buying the trademark?
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #38 on: October 23, 2015, 04:32:47 PM
I assume, if they sell enough knives, they will incorporate more tools. Victorinox is only know considering scissors on alox.  :D

I assume people just do not like the idea of having the cross and swiss branding on a new company.

I am reminded of GEC, who in 2006, was started by ex employees of Queen?, and has now carved a niche market, mixing tradition with new ideas for those willing to pay the premium.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #39 on: October 23, 2015, 04:34:33 PM
I think we need more threads on this topic  >:D >:D >:D

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline beerbaron

Reply #40 on: October 23, 2015, 09:38:18 PM
Soft touch grip, nice modern style, good steel. I'm ordering one. :mail:

To each his own.. I still have to find out what makes an undistinct 440 steel "good".

Vic uses a choppy 420 but it's been heat-treated insanely well and it's been tried and tested.
440 is what every China SAK is saying for a decade... unless it gives detailed info on type of 440, HRC, composition and steel mill, I'm not convinced...

mmm I'm not going to get into the Chinese smurf, if you think Chinese 440 is actual 440C then  ???

One of the best knife makers in the world about 440c jayfisher.com

they say the hardness is 57, which is a lot harder than vic, and you can read how much better 440 is than 420 on any steel page.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: October 23, 2015, 11:30:23 PM
Soft touch grip, nice modern style, good steel. I'm ordering one. :mail:

To each his own.. I still have to find out what makes an undistinct 440 steel "good".

Vic uses a choppy 420 but it's been heat-treated insanely well and it's been tried and tested.
440 is what every China SAK is saying for a decade... unless it gives detailed info on type of 440, HRC, composition and steel mill, I'm not convinced...

mmm I'm not going to get into the Chinese smurf, if you think Chinese 440 is actual 440C then  ???

One of the best knife makers in the world about 440c jayfisher.com

they say the hardness is 57, which is a lot harder than vic, and you can read how much better 440 is than 420 on any steel page.

Corwin is correct, unless it says "440C", it could be 440A or 440B...decent steels if heat treated properly but 440C is different and never (in my experience) listed as just "440" in ads/specs.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #42 on: October 24, 2015, 12:06:25 AM

This was the first thread! The original Swiza swiss army knife thread! Or the original Swiza swiss army knife that is not a swiss army knife thread!

This is proving quite controversial. Which I find strange while we do not even have one in our hands yet.

On the commercial side, I think the biggest threat to the ongoing success of Victorinox is the same as a lot of other industries (think cars, mobile phones etc). Chinese or others eventually mimicking designs, with an indifference to western legal protections like patents, to the point of producing a product that is so similar in quality that the consumer happily takes the cheaper price.

I do not see Swiza as anywhere near this level of threat. It's another Swiss made, relatively high price point product. My punt is that Swiza will either find a niche place or sink while Victorinox will continue. No doubt Victorinox would have known it was coming, too - it's a small sak world! At best, some competition in sak innovation could be fantastic - for example, the availability of more lock mechanisms in smaller saks could be a good thing, even though some dislike it it has legality issues in some jurisdictions.

So anyway... here's looking forward to the first reviews! :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:08:01 AM by Grass »

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: October 24, 2015, 12:58:37 AM
If they innovate like wenger did with interesting tools, they MIGHT carve out a niche.  But since Victorinox has been THE tool for 125 years... good luck with that.  :D 

If it was my company Id target a high end niche market.  Do high end blade steels and finishes.  People want that.

I think they could target the custom market.
Knives with flexible configurations.

Bad for your business, but something like SOG and his customizable multitools...
Screws and different type of compatible layers

sg Offline red_rider_1979

Reply #44 on: October 24, 2015, 02:26:32 AM

This was the first thread! The original Swiza swiss army knife thread! Or the original Swiza swiss army knife that is not a swiss army knife thread!

Many years later, if Swiza were to become popular worldwide, forumers looking for info about the brand will ask why there are two threads on Swiza. The moderators here will have to step in and state for the record that both are legit, and declare this thread as "The Original Swiza Thread" and the other as "The Genuine Swiza Thread".

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: October 24, 2015, 02:32:44 AM

Many years later, if Swiza were to become popular worldwide, forumers looking for info about the brand will ask why there are two threads on Swiza. The moderators here will have to step in and state for the record that both are legit, and declare this thread as "The Original Swiza Thread" and the other as "The Genuine Swiza Thread".

:facepalm:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #46 on: October 24, 2015, 07:21:22 AM
Swiza is a very welcome addition to the SAK market. Victorinox desperately needs a qualified competitor.
I would like them to return to the innovative mode from their haydays of the 70-80'. It was a long time ago since they added any new modern tools or patterns to the SAKs.
The small screwdriver in the corkscrew and the cybertool driver are the latest and thats like 25 years ago.
I mean do we need can opener on basically all models when cans without pull rings are close to extinct, just as example? Room for a new impoved tool.
I hope Swiza will step up and push Victorinox and also bring some good stuff of their own.
As a SAK lover how can you not like a new SWISS brand of SAK style knives.
Ergonomics and locking blades are stuff that I've seen many forumites have asked for.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #47 on: October 24, 2015, 08:34:21 AM
Swiza is a very welcome addition to the SAK market. Victorinox desperately needs a qualified competitor.
I would like them to return to the innovative mode from their haydays of the 70-80'. It was a long time ago since they added any new modern tools or patterns to the SAKs.
The small screwdriver in the corkscrew and the cybertool driver are the latest and thats like 25 years ago.
I mean do we need can opener on basically all models when cans without pull rings are close to extinct, just as example? Room for a new impoved tool.
I hope Swiza will step up and push Victorinox and also bring some good stuff of their own.
As a SAK lover how can you not like a new SWISS brand of SAK style knives.
Ergonomics and locking blades are stuff that I've seen many forumites have asked for.
Yep. I plan on keping a close eye on this brand, because a 91mm SAK with a good lock, OHO blade and good scissors is my dream knife. Even better with a Vic style metal file,  but I can settle for a nail file.

If the lock is of good strength, and the rest of the tools are on par with Victorinox (or even just a notch below) quality, I can see this really doing well, especially in Germany, where locking two hand blades are legal.

Maybe if we are really lucky, these will be easily modable, and I can add a Vic file and scissors
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

no Offline Grathr

Reply #48 on: October 24, 2015, 11:48:02 AM
I have ordered a D02.
Cant wait to see it in the flesh!

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #49 on: October 24, 2015, 12:58:04 PM

This is mentioned often, and I assume it must be something that varies by country.  In the UK it's definitely not true.  I had a quick look through my food cupboards and found about half the canned goods had no ring pulls.  Branded stuff like Heinz soup has ring pulls, but supermarket own-brand products, canned vegetables etc mostly don't.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 01:00:18 PM by shibafu »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: October 24, 2015, 01:05:54 PM

This is mentioned often, and I assume it must be something that varies by country.  In the UK it's definitely not true.  I had a quick look through my food cupboards and found about half the canned goods had no ring pulls.  Branded stuff like Heinz soup has ring pulls, but supermarket own-brand products, canned vegetables etc mostly don't.
I agree that traditional cans are not yet extinct... still most people own more than one tool, so there is really no need for every one of them having a can-opener.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #51 on: October 24, 2015, 01:29:16 PM

I agree that traditional cans are not yet extinct... still most people own more than one tool, so there is really no need for every one of them having a can-opener.
I've had mixed feelings about can openers but some of my favorite foods still require them. Still, it seems every SAK and/or MT includes them and they can get a little redundant.
SAW

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #52 on: October 24, 2015, 01:43:32 PM
Well another thing against can openers is that few people carry cans on hikes when dry freeze food is an option. At least they should have options without them and offer some more useful EDC Items for us. It was years ago since I used a can opener outside my home.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 02:42:50 PM by Mextreme »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #53 on: October 24, 2015, 01:44:53 PM
I just use them to peel oranges  :D

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #54 on: October 24, 2015, 03:03:07 PM
Here, the only cans with pull rings is the dog food...everything else is a standard can. Before I bought a Vic kitchen can opener, I was using the opener on my knife 2+ times a week.

Besides, the opener got me out of a jam with a stuck package.

Alox can opener use.JPG
* Alox can opener use.JPG (Filesize: 252.04 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #55 on: October 24, 2015, 03:35:41 PM
I'm  not saying it's impossible to find use for a can opener but I never carry cans outside my kitchen and even if i didn't own a real can opener, all the brands i purchase like Heinz, Bonduelle, green giant have pullrings. On a hike I sure will not ever carry cans when dry freeze is an option with less than 1/10 of the weight.
When the SAK was invented the soldiers got rations in cans. I don't. I use drivers and such daily and would prefer a better reach driver, in line awl, package opener, micro philips of 58 mm or some other invention that is more of a modern EDC item.
I feel the same about corkscrews. They are not EDC worthy items.
I think Victorinox can keep models with the classic tool set but I don't understand why not offer other options.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:37:18 PM by Mextreme »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #56 on: October 24, 2015, 03:36:53 PM
I'm interested to hear reviews and see how these knives fare in their own right (as opposed to direct comparisons with Victorinox etc).

Will I get one? Not yet. I'll wait till they start having a go at incorporating scissors before I consider trying them out

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #57 on: October 24, 2015, 03:52:09 PM

Pull tabs arent common here either.   All of the cans I have are normal can opener style.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: October 24, 2015, 04:09:33 PM
Speaking of cans, I hate the pull tabs because they leave a rim around the can and it's frickin' impossible to scrap everything out.  :poh: But it doesn't really matter since all the cans I buy need an opener. Everyone talks about pull tabs on cans but I rarely see them. It must be a European thing.  :) But even if the can had a pull tab I'd use a can opener so I could get everything out of the can.

The can opener is a great little tool besides opening cans.  It can be used for popping open watch cases, and to open up packages (not clamshell packages, but I use the awl for those).  But most importantly, its an extra blade which offers more utility; it makes an excellent scraper. Better for me to use that for scraping tasks than the main blade.

But back on topic; despite the cheekiness in my first post, I hope Swiza finds success.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 04:16:29 PM by shamus »

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #59 on: October 24, 2015, 04:22:49 PM
Speaking of cans, I hate the pull tabs because they leave a rim around the can and it's frickin' impossible to scrap everything out.  :poh: But it doesn't really matter since all the cans I buy need an opener. Everyone talks about pull tabs on cans but I rarely see them. It must be a European thing. :) But even if the can had a pull tab I'd use a can opener so I could get everything out of the can.

But back on topic; despite the cheekiness in my first post, I hope Swiza finds success.

It surprises me since I dont buy much cans but when I do most are american brands like: Heinz, Green Giant, Campbell soup and so on... All of those use pull cans.
Do they use old style opening on the home market?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%