Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your Main Cycling Multitool

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Your Main Cycling Multitool
on: July 07, 2013, 10:22:59 PM
  Which cycling multitool do you all use, whether it be road, MTB, trails, or the mix?

Have been wanting to cut down on the carry weight since now using a CamelBak Lobo. If the tools were not so heavy would carry a Crunch and Rebar, with the removable bit driver & a special selection of bits. But that's some weight. Seen a few that carry a Fuse, Kick, or even the PST when riding.
  Used a jaw of the Rebar pliers to remove a couple of allan bolts when adding CatEye Reflex LED reflectors. Did not want to go foraging for metric allan wrenches. Fit rather well - Wonder if that was just a coincidence?

Wave and the like seem to take the back seat for cycling carry, and as much as the Skeletool is on the slim it offers only two bits, knife, and pliers.

Still cannot seem to stop carrying a 6" crescent wrench though. Piranha helps at times if there is room to work with, but there are times when a crescent wrench wins. Now if there was a crescent wrench as slim as the Skeletool.... that would be worth carrying if not too heavy!
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

scotland Offline xt60043f

Re: Your Main Cycling Multitool
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 10:49:26 PM
In Scotland we say 'you dinnae need ta' teach yer granny how to suck eggs'.  Excuse me if this is obvious, I mean no offense.   But you are aware of the byrd/spyder wrench?  It has a crescent wrench, adjustable wrench, knife and the facility to carry 4 (IIRC) standard 1/4" drive bits. 

I mostly ride XC mountain bike and usually end up in some fairly out of the way places.  I tend to not get too hung up on the weight of the tools I am carrying.  I usually have:

an adjustable spanner
dedicated allen keys: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10
pliers/multi tool pliers/crunch clone
cone spanners
puncture kit + spare tube
chain splitter

I prefer dedicated allen keys as they tend to be put under a lot of force.  At the very least you need to bring a long arm, ball end 5mm.  :D

I guess I do not get too hung up on weight.  Whatever I could save by risking fewer tools I could quite easily lose by not going for a dump before I ride.  Ahem.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 11:32:43 PM by xt60043f »
The Leatherman crunch.  One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass consumption. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 11:12:07 PM
  Am overcapacity on a '91 Rockhopper as it is, and carrying 3L of water adds to that considerably. Have to stay hydrated, that is a must. Trying to lessen the overall load while staying prepared too.
  Have lost close to 40 pounds in the past month due to riding.  :D

Should of stuck to me wanting to use a Specialized Crossroad Armadillo on the rear and kept it to 65 PSI - that tire has hold 80 PSI. Think the Bontrager LT-3 Hard Case gets stressed out more since it runs at 50 PSI maximum inflation. The front tire gets away from the load.
¬ Outback in Idaho

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 11:28:01 PM
I also carry a 6" crescent wrench, but I cut the handle to the length of a 4" wrench so it fits in my seat bag. Since I swapped out for 8mm hex crank bolts, I probably don't need it anymore, but I end up working on other people's bikes almost as often as my own.

My Skeletool has found a more or less permanent home in my seat bag, though I should probably just buy a Squirt PS4 or something. I don't really need the multi-bit driver, because I've thrown in a Crank Bros. multi17 ever since I found a mysterious store credit on my account at my LBS.

Every summer, my bike-specific multitool becomes hands-down my second most used tool, right behind my pocket knife.

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 04:19:21 AM
In all my years, I have never actually "needed" pliers to fix anything. I will admit that it's nice to have some gripping ability though. But I do carry this:
http://blogericious.blogspot.com/2007/06/altoids-tin-toolkit.html

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 05:11:18 AM
I carry a Topeak Hexus II since my chain broke miles away from anywhere and I had to walk, get towed and occasionally freewheel several miles to the end of the track: http://www.topeak.com/products/Mini-Tools/hexus2
My friend who has a bike shop reckons it has everything you need and nothing you don't.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 07:14:16 AM
In all my years, I have never actually "needed" pliers to fix anything. I will admit that it's nice to have some gripping ability though. But I do carry this:
I've had to scab together last-ditch, middle-of-trail derailleur cable splices before, and I've been mighty glad I had those pliers to help get the cable seated and tensioned properly again. Well, as close to properly tensioned as possible when your splice is a zip tie.

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 12:21:07 PM
I've had to scab together last-ditch, middle-of-trail derailleur cable splices before, and I've been mighty glad I had those pliers to help get the cable seated and tensioned properly again. Well, as close to properly tensioned as possible when your splice is a zip tie.

For extended touring I used to carry a spare brake and gear cable. No splicing needed then. I also used to carry 3 large zip ties in case the freewheel/freehub ever exploded: can tie the cogs to the spokes then and maybe still ride out without any backpedaling ;-)
Oh, and don't leave home without a fiberfix spoke. Even if never used as an actual replacement spoke, that kevlar cord itself is super strong.

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 10:55:58 PM
i carry crunch and a standart bit kit.yes it is heavy but i rely on it.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 11:09:19 PM
I use my MTB for leisure rides with my wife (she rides a classic woman's bike) and only during summer in our summer house, because my winter house is on a hill. Anyway, I have a pouch with dedicated tools like separate Allens etc. But now with you guys (bad company) I'm sure I'm going to get something. What about that Wenger or the new Victorinox? A Surge is going to be in my mono sling bag anyway, so I'm talking for something bike- specific.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 11:25:30 PM
Me and the wife ride alot in the summer. Alot of times in town and around bike paths setup around the city.  When we go, we usually each carry a light weight backpack with towels, sun screen, etc. and recently I put my SAK Explorer plus into the bag, in case I need a knife but I dont have anything that has pliers so I might have to switch that out with a Swisschamp or put my Charge in my bag. 

Another idea is that Mako Ti bike tool. :)

I havent had to use anything but I should add a small air pump and repair kit in case something happens and I am out 6-10 miles out of town. :D

I have been looking for some kind of locking saddle bag or some bike mounted bag that I could put a few tools in and maybe a few other things that I can lock and leave on the bike so I dont have to carry tools around with me in the backpack.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 11:43:19 PM
For years a Cooltool,then it broke  :-\ I've had a few topeaks biketools,but thanks Farmman i've got another Cooltool, i like too carry a full size mt as well as always find old dumped bikes in the heath so I scavenge parts  :D

Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 11:55:57 PM
For years a Cooltool,then it broke  :-\ I've had a few topeaks biketools,but thanks Farmman i've got another Cooltool, i like too carry a full size mt as well as always find old dumped bikes in the heath so I scavenge parts  :D

There is a Cool Tool on eBay.

Y'all have me looking and comparing the other multitools that I had not known existed. Great feedback folks!  :2tu:
¬ Outback in Idaho

bn Offline jojotlc

Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 04:33:57 PM
..i'm still keeping my Topeak multi tools which were bought in 2001 which serves many purposes.
It even have a chain breaker, and all the norm bike sized allen keys & sockets, bead spreader and patch....good for mtb and roadie. :D
Nice packed within under seat  saddle bag..1 spare tubes. 1 pocket wrench high pressure air pump.
Come to think of it now, need to lok for it!  :P
Inner Peace  8-)

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 03:02:06 AM
I carry this in my rear jersey pocket.

It's a Crank Brothers b17 multi-tool

Sent from Endor via Schlapatok
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry