Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bannock alternative

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Bannock alternative
on: December 15, 2015, 10:31:23 AM
I've been on the Banting/LCHF diet for a year now, about 30kg lost in the process and I'm much healthier and happier.

I'm the process I've learned the consequences of some foods that my body don't like, and logically these need to be avoided more so in a "survival" situation.

I've been playing around with a combination of Almond and Coconut flour, 2nd try produced little cakes that kept integrity and tasted very good actually.

Slight problem for making a Bannock alternative - it doesn't seem to work without egg.

Work in progress, comments & suggestions welcome, will update with new results and hopefully an over-the-fire stickbread someday soon.....

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Bannock alternative
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 10:35:33 AM
What kinds og flour do you respond badly at?

Id say in a survival situation you should eat anything as long as it does not make you sick.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 09:36:12 PM
Probably a silly question, but could mixing some egg powder in the almond flour do the trick?

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 11:30:13 AM
What kinds og flour do you respond badly at?

Id say in a survival situation you should eat anything as long as it does not make you sick.

Whatever is used in bread, pizza bases......all those good things....  :gimme:

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 11:32:16 AM
Probably a silly question, but could mixing some egg powder in the almond flour do the trick?

I'm no expert, but I had exactly the same idea......problem being I've yet to find egg powder for sale in this town.....and since its the capitol that likely counts for the country  :facepalm:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 01:43:15 PM
Back to the drawing board it is, then.  :think:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 04:44:44 PM
Self Perambulating Emergency Food:

Level 1: Train a pig as a hiking companion

Level 2: Make it a little waistcoat so it can carry an assortment of herbs and spices

Level 3: Fit saddle bags so it can carry a stove and foraged seasonal veg

Level 4: Tattoo a survival manual on it

Level 5: Train it to point North whenever you kick it's arse

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 05:42:27 PM

Level 2: Make it a little waistcoat so it can carry an assortment of herbs and spices

That is inspired genius!  Brilliant. Only suggestion; instead of a waistcoat to carry herbs and spices, make the pig a sweater out of herbs and spices so it gets seasoned while it walks.

no Offline Grathr

Bannock alternative
Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 07:55:00 PM
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 07:59:44 PM by Grathr »

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 08:49:51 AM

That is inspired genius!  Brilliant. Only suggestion; instead of a waistcoat to carry herbs and spices, make the pig a sweater out of herbs and spices so it gets seasoned while it walks.

Not sure which idea I like best!  :rofl:

Very much in keeping with the LCHF diet!  :rofl:  :salute:

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 08:57:21 AM
Can you eat corn flour?

Also. Powdered eggs:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_2_9?k=powdered+eggs&sprefix=powdered+

You can also make it your self:
http://m.wikihow.com/Dehydrate-Eggs-for-Powdered-Eggs

Despite all the attempts of MTO and my knife addiction I decided not to get a credit card, I can live without a few Ganzo knives and my budget couldn't handle it anyway.......long way of saying online purchases are out

Interestingly, I watched a YT video (some hunting channel) of a guy making his dehydrated food for his trips....rather liked the idea.
Unfortunately I've never even seen a dehydrator in a local shop, and if there is one hiding somewhere, the price will most likely be a bit silly.....

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 09:00:51 AM
Can you eat corn flour?

I don't know, but I don't think so.....isn't corn and corn products just about our biggest problem....?

The general health and relief of my new diet means I'm not interested in testing the boundaries.....

no Offline Grathr

Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 09:19:47 AM

Can you eat corn flour?

Also. Powdered eggs:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_2_9?k=powdered+eggs&sprefix=powdered+

You can also make it your self:
http://m.wikihow.com/Dehydrate-Eggs-for-Powdered-Eggs

Despite all the attempts of MTO and my knife addiction I decided not to get a credit card, I can live without a few Ganzo knives and my budget couldn't handle it anyway.......long way of saying online purchases are out

Interestingly, I watched a YT video (some hunting channel) of a guy making his dehydrated food for his trips....rather liked the idea.
Unfortunately I've never even seen a dehydrator in a local shop, and if there is one hiding somewhere, the price will most likely be a bit silly.....

You can use a oven too, just put a spatula in the opening to allow the air to get out. I have dried meat and fruit that way.
I bought a cheap dehydrator a year ago at a local hardware chain store. It only cost $35. But the oven also works fine. Just a little harder to control the temperature.

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 02:25:46 PM
Thanks....seen rusks dried that way so I know what you mean.

Can you give me some indication of how long it takes with the oven?  Electricity is pretty expensive here, that's why I need to do cooking while tempering a blade  :rofl:

Just had a look, there's one really cheap type of dehydrator I could get, anything that looks better starts at about double the price I've ever paid for any household appliance.  :rofl:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 02:38:31 PM
A comment on Wikipedia claims egg powder is very unhealthy. (Because the drying process oxidizes the cholesterol.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powdered_eggs “The process of drying eggs so as to make powdered eggs oxidizes the cholesterol, which has been shown to be dangerous in animal trials.[citation needed]”
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 02:40:44 PM by Steinar »

no Offline Grathr

Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 07:17:00 PM

Thanks....seen rusks dried that way so I know what you mean.

Can you give me some indication of how long it takes with the oven?  Electricity is pretty expensive here, that's why I need to do cooking while tempering a blade  :rofl:

Just had a look, there's one really cheap type of dehydrator I could get, anything that looks better starts at about double the price I've ever paid for any household appliance.  :rofl:

Depending on the temperature, 6-12 hours. There is a recipie for how to do it in the oven below the dehydrator recipie in the link I posted earlier.

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 08:38:57 PM
Depending on the temperature, 6-12 hours. There is a recipie for how to do it in the oven below the dehydrator recipie in the link I posted earlier.
That definitely won't fly, could come close to doubling the amount of electricity I use.
.....which just reminded me of my new power tools  :facepalm:

I have first hand experience of civilization sliding backwards, and one of the first things to go is variety and choice........can't believe I can't find egg powder.

Fortunately I don't have to consider dehydrating meat, I can get biltong anywhere, which is just better  :rofl:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 08:50:59 PM
You could just carry eggs. If you wrap them in paper in a plastic box with a lid, they usually dont break. 
I have done that on camping trips before.

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 01:13:23 PM
When I go camping unfortunately it's mostly car camping, then a minimum of 24 eggs go with me by default.......I do 6 for breakfast :whistle:

I started this thread because I'm looking for something like bannock I could put in a.......dare I say........go-bag.

I'm not oblivious to the fact that should I ever need it, a few farts and related discomfort from using real/normal bannock is probably not the end of the world  :salute:

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 01:14:28 PM
I would not trust my luck to carry fresh eggs in a backpack - I have no luck  :oops:

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Bannock alternative
Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 04:21:09 PM
More expensive and not DIY, but convenient for storing in bug out bags, cars, etc - Lifeboat rations.

Datrex Emergency Rations is the brand I've tried. Vegetarian safe, peanut free, 3600 calories/3 days of 18 individually wrapped 200 calorie bars that can be eaten dry if need be. With a nondescript coconut flavor that is neither tasty nor repulsive. Claimed 5 year storage life.

I've been known to eat a bar rather than stopping for a fast food snack (I despise fast food!) when my day goes longer than expected and I'm late getting home for dinner. I have a sealed pack in the car, "just in case". Never know when a freak winter storm might leave one stranded for a day or 2. It happened to others last year, less than 100 km from me...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 04:22:22 PM by 16VGTIDave »
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24