Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How do you wash your rice?

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Re: How do you wash your rice?
Reply #30 on: January 01, 2016, 07:01:20 PM

My rice cooking techniques came from the Filipino culture.  Calrose rice was mostly used and typically cooked in a rice cooker.  The thing I didn't understand early on was how my Filipino friends measured the rice to water after washing it. 

Anyone see how Filipinos measure the rice to water?  Pretty neat and possibly done in other cultures tho I'm not aware.

My Filipino family used the knuckle method, I wasn't sure if that's a Filipino thing or just my grandma's thing, but it works :) 

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #31 on: January 01, 2016, 07:41:20 PM
If it is some fancy rice I wash it in the cooking pot until the water seems reasonably clear.
But usually we use parboiled, which we don't bother washing before.

Then add 2 cups (cold) water per 1 cup rice, add some salt, bring to a rolling boil. Reduce temperature, let it simmer with a lid on until all the water is evaporated/absorbed. Usually I turn of the plate with a little water left and let it sit on the plate for some minutes.

What is the knuckle method of measuring?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #32 on: January 01, 2016, 07:45:40 PM
As far as answering the question on if you should wash your rice or not here is a link I found quickly that should explain.

http://www.chowhound.com/food-news/148823/nagging-question-should-you-rinse-rice-before-cooking/
I'm the milk man!

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 01, 2016, 10:26:11 PM
If it is some fancy rice I wash it in the cooking pot until the water seems reasonably clear.

Then add 2 cups (cold) water per 1 cup rice, add some salt, bring to a rolling boil. Reduce temperature, let it simmer with a lid on until all the water is evaporated/absorbed. Usually I turn of the plate with a little water left and let it sit on the plate for some minutes.

So you pour in the desired amount of rice, and level it in the cooker/pot.  Then you touch the top of the rice with your first finger, and add water until it comes up to your first knuckle.  It's supposed to work regardless of how much rice you use, though I haven't tested this.  Works for my uses though :tu:

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #34 on: January 01, 2016, 10:43:06 PM

So you pour in the desired amount of rice, and level it in the cooker/pot.  Then you touch the top of the rice with your first finger, and add water until it comes up to your first knuckle.  It's supposed to work regardless of how much rice you use, though I haven't tested this.  Works for my uses though :tu:

It's the same way I do it, although I use my middle finger. Works from 2 to 20 cups of rice :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #35 on: January 01, 2016, 11:09:29 PM
As far as answering the question on if you should wash your rice or not here is a link I found quickly that should explain.

http://www.chowhound.com/food-news/148823/nagging-question-should-you-rinse-rice-before-cooking/
Thanks!
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #36 on: January 01, 2016, 11:13:17 PM

It's the same way I do it, although I use my middle finger. Works from 2 to 20 cups of rice :tu:

Interesting technique. Thanks guys  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: January 01, 2016, 11:25:16 PM

My rice cooking techniques came from the Filipino culture.  Calrose rice was mostly used and typically cooked in a rice cooker.  The thing I didn't understand early on was how my Filipino friends measured the rice to water after washing it. 

Anyone see how Filipinos measure the rice to water?  Pretty neat and possibly done in other cultures tho I'm not aware.

My Filipino family used the knuckle method, I wasn't sure if that's a Filipino thing or just my grandma's thing, but it works :)

Yup thats it.  It always works too when cooking white rice in the rice cooker.  I would see watch my ex do it, so coming from culinary arts background I loved it.

While the tip of the middle finger is touching the rice, the water should reach up to the second line or phalanx, as shown.

( not me image borrowed )
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:26:32 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #38 on: January 01, 2016, 11:31:51 PM
I use a small wire mesh collider.  I rinse mine until the water is clear. Of course this is for sushi ;)
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #39 on: January 02, 2016, 02:41:15 PM
When the staff is off and I cook I use double the amount of boiled water than the rice . 1 cup rice , 2 water. Bring to boil, lower the heat to min, cover and simmer untill nearly all of the water has been absorbed. Turn the cooker of and let it sit, covered, for a few minutes, until all the water gets absorbed.

You can add olive oil, salt, stock cubes in the water, to taste.

Basically similar technique to the ones described by other members previously.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #40 on: January 02, 2016, 07:14:20 PM
wash the rice ???? ok . . . . before or after i cook it ? (seriously)

Before.

so, whats the best way to cook rice then ? I just throw on a pot of water, boil the rice and drain it - i haven't poisoned my kids or myself (yet) so how wrong am i doing it ????

How wrong?! Everything is ruined forever!  :dwts:

:D

I have heard rumours about tastes differing, but I think that can't be right, right?  :think: I wash the rice, bring a measured amount of water in a pot to a boil, add the rice, and let it simmer with a lid on till all the water is absorbed. I let it rest with  the lid on for some minutes after removing the pot from the heat. Also, I never stir the rice after I have put the lid on the first time. An added benefit of washing the rice when doing it this way is less chance of rice sticking to the put.

Some people let the rice soak in cold water for a while after washing, before cooking. I guess what works best differs with types of rice, but rice isn't really a part of the diet I grew up with, so I don't know too much about the dos and don'ts.

i find your ideas intriguing and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter . . . i must try this method next time, in conjunction with the knuckle method described for measuring the water :)

the things i learn here . . . . .
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: January 02, 2016, 09:36:08 PM
I think a lot of MToers, myself included, will test putting their fingers in to measure the water now.  :D

I love learning stuff like that. I would probably have heard about it if it weren't for this thread. Thanks to the guys bringing it up.  :tu:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #42 on: January 03, 2016, 05:49:52 AM
Don't think I've ever washed Rice  ???

This.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: January 03, 2016, 05:22:52 PM
I use a small wire mesh collider.  I rinse mine until the water is clear. Of course this is for sushi ;)

Same here...small wire mesh colindar.   :cheers:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #44 on: January 03, 2016, 05:24:19 PM

Same here...small wire mesh colindar.   :cheers:

Gotta love sushi!
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #45 on: January 13, 2016, 03:28:28 AM
We wash the rice before cooking simply because we have no idea where/what touched the grains before it got packaged in the bag.  Kinda like washing your fruits or veggies before taking the first bite. 

For white rice: from the container, just pour enough water to submerge all the rice you have then "mash" the grains with your hand as you would do to sand and let it pass through between your fingers.  Strain as you pour out as you don't want to throw away any of the rice grains.  Do it twice. 

For brown/red rice: wash as above but you can let it soak for 30mins to 1hr to come up with fluffier brown/red rice.  Brown/red rice is supposed to be healthier and heavier on the tummy but usually doesn't go down quite as smoothly as the white rice (go ask the kids).  Hence, the soak to soften it up.

To cook, it would usually be trial and error depending on the rice variety.  Though the knuckle measurement method usually works, one can always do the 1 cup of rice : 1.5 cups of water ratio.  If the rice ends up being too soft, reduce the ratio of water.  If the rice is too hard for your palette then add more water. 

If cooking without rice cooker (such as over an open flame or stove), bring above preparation to boil then lower heat.  Yes, the water will spill over because it's boiling.  Check every 5mins to see if the water has dried up or not visible from the surface.  You can use a spoon to poke to the bottom to check if there's no more water.  Serve while hot!

To reheat (say you left some steamed rice during lunch and want some for dinner), put rice in microwavable container-- Add a few teaspoons of water depending how much rice is left, then place for a minute in the microwave.  The idea is you'll use the water to steam the rice using the microwave.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #46 on: January 13, 2016, 05:31:04 AM
We wash the rice before cooking simply because we have no idea where/what touched the grains before it got packaged in the bag.  Kinda like washing your fruits or veggies before taking the first bite. 

For white rice: from the container, just pour enough water to submerge all the rice you have then "mash" the grains with your hand as you would do to sand and let it pass through between your fingers.  Strain as you pour out as you don't want to throw away any of the rice grains.  Do it twice. 

For brown/red rice: wash as above but you can let it soak for 30mins to 1hr to come up with fluffier brown/red rice.  Brown/red rice is supposed to be healthier and heavier on the tummy but usually doesn't go down quite as smoothly as the white rice (go ask the kids).  Hence, the soak to soften it up.

To cook, it would usually be trial and error depending on the rice variety.  Though the knuckle measurement method usually works, one can always do the 1 cup of rice : 1.5 cups of water ratio.  If the rice ends up being too soft, reduce the ratio of water.  If the rice is too hard for your palette then add more water. 

If cooking without rice cooker (such as over an open flame or stove), bring above preparation to boil then lower heat.  Yes, the water will spill over because it's boiling.  Check every 5mins to see if the water has dried up or not visible from the surface.  You can use a spoon to poke to the bottom to check if there's no more water.  Serve while hot!

To reheat (say you left some steamed rice during lunch and want some for dinner), put rice in microwavable container-- Add a few teaspoons of water depending how much rice is left, then place for a minute in the microwave.  The idea is you'll use the water to steam the rice using the microwave.

Interesting you mentioned this. It reminds me of how my grandfather eats left over white rice. He will put the rice in a bowl. Fill with milk (not to much) and add sugar. Heat in the microwave and your ready to eat.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: January 13, 2016, 06:34:53 AM

I wash rice in the rice cooker bowl itself. Then double the water to the rice and add a little salt. Once done and if you got left overs, throw it in and mix it with the fresh rice.

I like parboil the most because it's soft. Out of the fast food rice Popeye's Cajun rice is my favorite followed by Chipotle's Cilantro-Lime rice.  :drool:

Somehow I cannot get to like brown rice but I try it from time to time to see if my taste buds has changed but then regret the decision but never learn.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: January 13, 2016, 06:50:23 AM

I wash rice in the rice cooker bowl itself. Then double the water to the rice and add a little salt. Once done and if you got left overs, throw it in and mix it with the fresh rice.

I like parboil the most because it's soft. Out of the fast food rice Popeye's Cajun rice is my favorite followed by Chipotle's Cilantro-Lime rice.  :drool:

Somehow I cannot get to like brown rice but I try it from time to time to see if my taste buds has changed but then regret the decision but never learn.

Popeyes is just the best all around.  :drool: Seriously I love that place. I go every Tuesday. Yes I went today.  :D They put KFC to shame.

Before the east coast people ask Popeyes is very similar to Bojangles. Oh how I miss the steak biscuit.  :cry:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 06:52:09 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: January 13, 2016, 06:56:59 AM

Popeyes is just the best all around.  :drool: Seriously I love that place. I go every Tuesday. Yes I went today.  :D They put KFC to shame.

Before the east coast people ask Popeyes is very similar to Bojangles. Oh how I miss the steak biscuit.  :cry:

:tu: And as a bonus you get a spork with your rice.

Spork03.JPG
* Spork03.JPG (Filesize: 109.88 KB)
Spork04.JPG
* Spork04.JPG (Filesize: 80.11 KB)

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #50 on: January 15, 2016, 02:57:18 AM
what I understand is your not suppose to wash regular white rice because they are pre-washed and then sprayed with vitamins (with an oil like spray) after washing and drying (wasn't this on "How It's Made?!").

so if you wash white/regular rice you wash away the vitamins added. organic rices are not usually sprayed/fortified.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: January 15, 2016, 05:47:50 AM
what I understand is your not suppose to wash regular white rice because they are pre-washed and then sprayed with vitamins (with an oil like spray) after washing and drying (wasn't this on "How It's Made?!").

so if you wash white/regular rice you wash away the vitamins added. organic rices are not usually sprayed/fortified.

Just makes me want to wash it more. I don't like people spraying my food with stuff even if it is vitamins. Just my personal preference.
I'm the milk man!

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #52 on: January 15, 2016, 06:46:35 AM

That's something interesting.

I guess this would depend on what part of the globe you're on -- in my case, it's more of a hygiene thing, like washing a fruit that you're not sure where it came from. 

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: January 17, 2016, 07:02:46 PM

Just makes me want to wash it more. I don't like people spraying my food with stuff even if it is vitamins. Just my personal preference.

+1

I don't ever fail to rinse well before soaking and cooking.  After hearing this, I'll never fail to rinse it twice!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #54 on: January 19, 2016, 08:51:55 PM
you.... OCD ers! :D :P

I do want to try many types of rices, I luv em all so far, rice n beans :drool:

we need to do some rice porn!

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 08:54:21 PM by WhichDawg »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!