Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Weird looking new Schrade

Offline Ryo Saeba

on: January 02, 2016, 04:17:25 PM
I guess Schrade are getting in on the Skeletool ish bandwagon with this odd looking fellow. Haven't seen it anywhere other than their catalog so far but I'm sure it'll be at Tractor Supply before long.

us Offline BASguy

Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 04:21:10 PM

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

us Offline BASguy

Re: Weird looking new Schrade
Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 04:21:47 PM

I guess Schrade are getting in on the Skeletool ish bandwagon with this odd looking fellow. Haven't seen it anywhere other than their catalog so far but I'm sure it'll be at Tractor Supply before long.

(Image removed from quote.)

That actually looks pretty interesting, especially with a pocket clip.  I'd try that out if I had a chance.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 04:38:18 PM
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline BASguy

Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 06:13:37 PM

This tool has already been mentioned here (albeit with a different brand stuck on it):

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,63769.msg1204239.html#msg1204239

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,45641.msg1197771.html#msg1197771
Thanks for sharing.  The reviews seem to be pretty positive outside of the flat head driver.  I'm curious as to if that's been beefed up?
Overall this looks like a superior tool to Skeletool for a minimalist carry EDC.  I personally think the tools on Skeletool are fine, but the ergo of the whole thing is absolutely terrible.  I'm curious as to ergo on this thing.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 01:38:18 PM
I picked up a similar one a little while ago to review but with other things going on it hasn't made it out of the package yet.

Can't say I'm overly impressed so far. As you can see, they put some kind of warning on it in such a way that it is almost impossible to read.

Good job Schrade.  This is exactly what I expect from you.  ::)

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 02:21:55 PM

I wish LM or Vic came up with it. After my last ToughTool the little trust I had in Schrade quality has disappeared completely...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 09:12:36 AM
After my last ToughTool the little trust I had in Schrade quality has disappeared completely...

I think the original USA made Schrades are fine, but once Taylor took over and had them made down to a (very low) price point the "tough" part of the name became a brand name rather than an accurate description of the qualities of the tool.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 09:25:13 AM
After my last ToughTool the little trust I had in Schrade quality has disappeared completely...

I think the original USA made Schrades are fine, but once Taylor took over and had them made down to a (very low) price point the "tough" part of the name became a brand name rather than an accurate description of the qualities of the tool.

Yeah I knew they were bad and had low expectations, but needed something to put in my glovebox since the OG SuperTool and the MP400 had to go aand fund my Spydie-habit.
I figured that for 6 USD as bad as it is, it will still be useable... and still was suprised... I think not a single tool works properly, everything is crooked, soft, poorly cast, bent, nailbreaking, doesn't lock properly... you can see how smart the original design was and what a cool tool layout it has but the quality is just painful... my Ganzo was leaps and bounds above it... and the tool was LN when I bought it... 2 USD would have been closer to the value...

Sill liking the design on this.. it gives full size versions of the two most used edc tools...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

Offline Eyegor

Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 08:49:03 PM
I picked up a similar one a little while ago to review but with other things going on it hasn't made it out of the package yet.

Can't say I'm overly impressed so far. As you can see, they put some kind of warning on it in such a way that it is almost impossible to read.

Good job Schrade.  This is exactly what I expect from you.  ::)

Def
Based on pics, not the same tool.
T

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 01:06:57 AM
Nope. Not the same tool.  Similar though, as if from a new fancy looking line of substandard crap.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 01:09:12 AM

Just out of curiosity, hasn't something similar to this been designed here for some time now?  I'm thinking it looks very similar to a concept that Rakodour (sorry in advance for spelling that one wrong) has been brainstorming here for a couple of years now.

Def

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 03:57:21 AM

Just out of curiosity, hasn't something similar to this been designed here for some time now?  I'm thinking it looks very similar to a concept that Rakodour (sorry in advance for spelling that one wrong) has been brainstorming here for a couple of years now.

Def
Seems like it. I'm not sure who did it first. :shrug:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 12:13:10 PM

Def
Seems like it. I'm not sure who did it first. :shrug:

Yeah gregozedobe linked to the thread above.   ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 02:07:24 PM
Thanks Dr Z- I must have missed that as I was posting from my phone.   :think:

I guess we know the folks at Schrade are checking the forum out too then.  Here's a couple of little tips for them:
Show content
Stop making smurf products.

Use actual metal.

Contact me if you want to get serious about offering a decent product- I am sure we would all be happy to work something out with you rather than just have you steal our ideas and make them out of plastic and pot metal.

I don't know why they would listen this time and not any of the many times I have mentioned it before, but hey, there's always a chance.

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 05:35:04 PM
If the original Schrade and Camillus and Queen and British Leyland and SAAB were as great as people think, they would still be around. They all failed badly to provide a good product at a competitive price, especially in heir final years
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 07:46:58 PM
If the original Schrade and Camillus and Queen and British Leyland and SAAB were as great as people think, they would still be around. They all failed badly to provide a good product at a competitive price, especially in heir final years
:imws: Exactly this. Good companies dont just suddenly go under, and if the product is good, and they are still failing, than there is something inherently wrong with that companies business model, be it marketing, price or internal organization.

Many of us here whine about how things "aren't made like they used to be" especially on the Leatherman forum (for example). But if PST sales are falling, and there are now better alternatives on the market, than Leatherman has no choice but to discontinue it, and make new tools, in order to stay relevant, and therefore profitable. I don't think that LM would still be around if they had continued to pump out OG Supertools Waves, and PSTs rather than discontinue the lot and create new tools to better match what technology and the market had developed multi tools into.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:48:30 PM by sLaughterMed »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline BASguy

Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 03:30:28 AM

:imws: Exactly this. Good companies dont just suddenly go under, and if the product is good, and they are still failing, than there is something inherently wrong with that companies business model, be it marketing, price or internal organization.

Many of us here whine about how things "aren't made like they used to be" especially on the Leatherman forum (for example). But if PST sales are falling, and there are now better alternatives on the market, than Leatherman has no choice but to discontinue it, and make new tools, in order to stay relevant, and therefore profitable. I don't think that LM would still be around if they had continued to pump out OG Supertools Waves, and PSTs rather than discontinue the lot and create new tools to better match what technology and the market had developed multi tools into.

Good point. I've been critical of their new products.....mostly because I don't think they are as good as the OG Wave and Supertool, but the big issue has been QC.  That shouldn't suffer just because they change products.....at least I wouldn't think so.

Offline Eyegor

Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 05:50:17 PM

Unfortunately, I think the opposite can also be true. I lived just a mile down the road from Schrade the last few years they were in operation and in the opinion of many of the craftsmen there, the product line had gotten out of control. They were offering dozens of different models in many different lines. Instead of concentrating on the core of the business, they kept chasing the latest cutlery trend. From tactical to traditional to just plain odd, Schrade was throwing everything at the wall, hoping something would stick. And all of this at a price point that many thought was a little too high. In the company's defense, they knew they were struggling and kept trying to find the next thing that would re-vitalize the company. We know the rest of the story.
T

us Offline David

Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 06:00:46 PM
Companies that make great products go under all the time. There alot more to business than making a good product.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 04:35:12 AM
Companies that make great products go under all the time. There alot more to business than making a good product.
Thats why I ended my statement with the whole internal organization, price point etc. qualifier
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline David

Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 06:20:43 AM
Thats why I ended my statement with the whole internal organization, price point etc. qualifier

:tu:    :)
Hold Fast

us Offline David

Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 06:35:00 AM
Schrade and Camillus were basically owned by the same family or people. I cant remeber which but they were connected. From what I've read and I dont know all the gorey details but they kind of self destructed over time from various things. Over at BF in the Camillus collectores sub forum there are several heated threads from back when all this came to a head. Its sad .................. :(     In one of those threads one Camillus employee was discussing several things and in the end he was glad it was finally over and it should have happened 10 or more years earlier.
Hold Fast

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 07:25:59 AM
I have a Camuillus, Barlow, from the 1950's - Best, sharpest knife I have, begging to be used.

I also have one from their later years - electricians, impossible to open.

Again, I have some old schrade slipjoints. Well used but the walk and talk is still spot on. I also have some of their unfinished knives, from when they closed.

Buck, Case, Victorinox, opinel (and others) are thriving, GEC, a new company, has more business than it can handle, whereas Canal Street, another new company has closed, Queen (the new one) is just managing, Wenger is gone, the Sheffield knife industry is practically gone and most of the old German maker's names seem to be around only because they are owned by Frost. RR dominates the low cost market and the new Schrade is trying but based on my latest purchase has a long way to go to catch up to RR......

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline BASguy

Reply #24 on: January 09, 2016, 02:58:06 AM

RR dominates the low cost market and the new Schrade is trying but based on my latest purchase has a long way to go to catch up to RR......

Ive bought several from each recently.  The Imperial Schrade Barlows frankly strike me pretty much the same quality as their older US made ones...... Serviceable but not high quality and just don't take a real good edge.  I also picked up one of their Mini Mite's and I have to say, it's a good little knife.  I have multiple Rough Rider Barlows and they are all fantastic quality and razor sharp.  RR is a much better product right nowZ

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #25 on: January 09, 2016, 04:13:48 AM
My only RR is a mini barlow that arrived new in the box, looking quite used and dirty. The fit & finish are pretty good for the price, and it's decently sharp, but you'd never believe it was supposed to be a new knife. I'm unclear whether the seller is the problem, or if the knife was made of parts from the dirt-caked reject barrel. The seller wanted me to pay for shipping to return it, which just isn't worth it on an $8 knife, so I cleaned it  up and kept it. Probably not a typical experience, but that's my only first hand RR knowledge so far.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #26 on: January 09, 2016, 08:05:06 AM
RR do sometimes have issues. Bad, offcentre shields, offcentre blades, filler being used to cover damage on the covers, but in general the overall knife will be solid and useable. The fewer the blades the better. The only new schrade i have been okish with is the sodbuster. I am interested in their uncle henry and lb lines but the quality is still not there. Buying online, ofcourse, you never know if you are getting a newer product, better qa/qc, or an older one.

Incidentally, the only GEC I have been happy  with, for the money, is the original bullnose, a second.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #27 on: January 09, 2016, 07:24:06 PM
Anybody know where they are selling these? Ace, maybe? Or would online be the best bet? I really like this and for $10-$15 i'd jump on it. But i see it listed online for $27. I'm not in it for that much.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 09, 2016, 07:47:31 PM
Ebay. Search outu multi tool. Really good prices
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline BASguy

Reply #29 on: January 10, 2016, 03:38:50 AM
RR do sometimes have issues. Bad, offcentre shields, offcentre blades, filler being used to cover damage on the covers, but in general the overall knife will be solid and useable. The fewer the blades the better. The only new schrade i have been okish with is the sodbuster. I am interested in their uncle henry and lb lines but the quality is still not there. Buying online, ofcourse, you never know if you are getting a newer product, better qa/qc, or an older one.

Incidentally, the only GEC I have been happy  with, for the money, is the original bullnose, a second.

I have heard the RR slip joints are made in a different factory than their other knives.  I've ordered 14 Barlows so far (I give them away to my team when they get a good customer satisfaction report).  Not a single one has had F&F issues that I have seen.  I'd think your issue is likely seller related. 
I've never heard that there is any kind of issue with their traditionals other than your occasional problem that any manufacturer will have. 
I just placed an order for 10 more from the seller I've been using.  We'll see.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 03:42:37 AM by BASguy »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21