Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Poll: SAKs With Or Without Scissors

s1xty7 · 61 · 5717

Poll

Swiss Army Knives: With or Without Scissors

With
75 (87.2%)
Without
11 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 86

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Poll: SAKs With Or Without Scissors
Reply #30 on: January 05, 2016, 01:36:12 AM
I voted scissors.  Early on I would have said it didn't really matter as I wasn't a huge scissor user.  I don't work in an office nor have small children so scissors for me were a "luxury" item to carry.  Admittedly I don't use my Waves scissors however thats due to me getting an Explorer early on. 

I now enjoy having scissors on my SAKs.  I can do without them on my MT since I typically pair one with a SAK anyway.  Sure you can make most cuts with a knife blade by why?  A 58mm scissor is pretty terrific and one cannot really say its a chore to carry, can they?

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 01:43:54 AM
Yes, scissors. My Climber is my favorite.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Perception is reality

us Offline Sheradin

• Penn's Woods
Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 02:11:30 AM
With. Aside from the usefulness, the fiddle factor alone makes them a requirement.   :tu:

us Offline DEMartin

Reply #33 on: January 05, 2016, 02:56:57 AM
I use the scissors on my Climber or my Super Tinker to trim my moustache. Don't carry the Climber around the house, but if I'm leaving home for more than a few hours, such as a trip or camping excursion then the Climber is in my pocket.
Water, water, every where,
 And all the boards did shrink;
 Water, water, every where,
 Nor any drop to drink.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #34 on: January 05, 2016, 06:22:09 AM
I chose with scissors, but only because you wouldn't let me be wishy washy. :P Scissors are great for around the house, office or town, but are totally useless when camping or hiking (except for bandages, for which I have dedicated shears).

So, I have two sets of SAKs. Ones with scissors, and ones with saws (and none with both).
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

Reply #35 on: January 05, 2016, 10:50:59 AM
What do you mean "without scissors "? I can't wait for a Pioneer with scissors! So when I carry it, I always carry a 58. Scissors all the way!

id Offline classicrock

• With every mistake we must surely be learning
Reply #36 on: January 05, 2016, 11:21:39 AM
Yes. Vote for the scissors. I always carry SAK with scissors. My most simple 91 mm is a Compact. And when I carry a Farmer, I always add a Manager because of the scissors.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #37 on: January 05, 2016, 12:35:02 PM
Talking about 91mm SAKs and below, then yes, I want scissors with that. :)
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: January 05, 2016, 12:40:59 PM
Can't say I've ever carried a SAK with scissors but they are really good so I bring a Swisscard instead. I tend to put a lot of focus on the pocketability to the point where I have a hard time selling anything bigger than a Tourist to myself.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #39 on: January 05, 2016, 12:41:41 PM
Being that they are well made and work so efficiently I voted yes - I use mine a lot (nails, side burns, mankini line, coupons etc etc)
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Offline Mattexian

Reply #40 on: January 05, 2016, 08:36:57 PM
TMI, Magentus, TMI!

I'm voting for, since the scissors are much more civilised in places like hositals, doctors offices. (The nurses generally think it cute that I can claim, "These have helped with birthing kittens, cutting the umbilical cord!"  Just wash it with peroxide or rubbing alcohol,  and it's ready to go.)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

R

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: January 05, 2016, 09:59:13 PM
Being that they are well made and work so efficiently I voted yes - I use mine a lot (nails, side burns, mankini line, coupons etc etc)

:rofl: 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #42 on: January 05, 2016, 10:08:29 PM

:rofl:

Sigh.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: January 05, 2016, 11:26:55 PM
For me if I had to chose between a Climber or a Camper I would chose the Camper because I'm a huge saw guy. But if I where to choose between the Camper or Huntsman give me the Huntsman because I do really like and use the scissors but it's less important then the saw to me.
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #44 on: January 06, 2016, 01:45:31 AM
I do not use scissors very often.

That said it is nice to have them around and they don't make a SAK all that much bigger or heavier.

I suppose that puts me in the why not category.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #45 on: January 06, 2016, 06:04:34 AM
Scissors are a must for me :tu:
K-Tibbs

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #46 on: January 06, 2016, 09:48:00 AM
We need a 'both' option. :pok:

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: January 06, 2016, 04:44:43 PM
We need a 'both' option. :pok:
+1 :tu: ... absolutely wishy-washy :D

If it has to be only one, then that is SwissChamp, The One with scissors. But if there's more than one in a play, let's say being accompanied by life companion MiniChamp or backpacked by let's say "Yeoguide" :o then the option is, of course, absolutely without >:D   

ˇˇˇˇ
"Yeoguide" and Midnite MiniChamp ;)
3.JPG
* 3.JPG (Filesize: 277.13 KB)
mm.JPG
* mm.JPG (Filesize: 102.05 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #48 on: January 06, 2016, 07:09:13 PM
+1....I like the thinness of the non-scissors models, coupled with a Minichamp or Classic.
Barry

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #49 on: January 06, 2016, 08:28:29 PM
While I can see how a "both" option would be convenient, then all the votes would be in that column.  This is scientific research and we can't be too ambiguous.  :D

The 9:1 ratio of scissors to no-scissors is a bit more extreme than I would have anticipated.  It might be a similar or higher ratio when polling the general public.  It's almost a wonder models exist without scissors.  I'm glad though so I don't have to mod to remove the scissors from models I want then.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #50 on: January 06, 2016, 08:42:13 PM
I voted for scissors cause I use them quite often and they are easier to use than a blade to cut certain things. 

That said, I carried a small Tinker for around 25 years and never needed anything more, probably could still get by with only it.  I always used the small blade to cut things that I would have used scissors on like articles from newspapers, coupons, string, etc. which also kept the bigger main blade sharp for the bigger chores!

So the long and short of it all is that I could get by either way.  If I have them, I use them and if I don't I wont!  :)

Maybe there should be a Tinker or other small sak challenge like the Sportsman! 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:44:35 PM by sir_mike »

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #51 on: January 06, 2016, 10:01:09 PM
With scissors for me, possibly scissors even above a blade on my usefulness list

Sent from my outdated communication device using an obsolete application

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #52 on: January 07, 2016, 11:30:32 AM
The 9:1 ratio of scissors to no-scissors is a bit more extreme than I would have anticipated.  It might be a similar or higher ratio when polling the general public.  It's almost a wonder models exist without scissors.  I'm glad though so I don't have to mod to remove the scissors from models I want then.

I think one reason that a lot of no-scissors models are still available is cost.  The scissors seem to be one of the more expensive tools, so if you don't need them then it makes some very cost-effective models available to you.

I checked prices on Amazon UK to illustrate my point, and it made a liar of me because a Huntsman is currently cheaper than a Camper  ::) (£18, not a bad price!)
However a Climber is 50% more expensive than a Spartan.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #53 on: January 07, 2016, 11:51:09 AM

I think one reason that a lot of no-scissors models are still available is cost.  The scissors seem to be one of the more expensive tools, so if you don't need them then it makes some very cost-effective models available to you.

I checked prices on Amazon UK to illustrate my point, and it made a liar of me because a Huntsman is currently cheaper than a Camper  ::) (£18, not a bad price!)
However a Climber is 50% more expensive than a Spartan.

Makes sense - the first SAK I bought was a Tourist, and price was certainly a consideration. However, I wasn't long before I realised my error in not getting one with scissors. I cheaped out on my first one, as I wasn't familiar with the quality back then, and wanted to dip my toe in the water with a simpler model.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Halberdier

Reply #54 on: January 07, 2016, 11:55:13 AM
What if they just made some models with and some without? Oh wait...

I complained that I had no hat, until I met a man who had no head.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #55 on: January 07, 2016, 03:19:43 PM
What if they just made some models with and some without? Oh wait...

Now this here is some twilight zone Smurf.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: January 07, 2016, 04:02:54 PM
I mostly carry a SAK without.
However, a SAK without other tools is just a knife and there are better options for knifes, what makes a SAK is all those fancy tools and that includes the scissors.

Scissors are SAK, SAK is scissor... or you know, whatever :salute:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline aerojet

• My Wenger...
Reply #57 on: January 14, 2016, 03:38:22 PM
Scissors YES !! There are way too many times when a knife just won't do. Clipping off small threads, cutting closed to anything, or opening those plastic (bomb proof) display packages without killing yourself.

No mention of which scissors though -

Vic or Wenger? I have both and I really like the serrated Wenger scissors along with the springless design. Yes you can change broken springs, but why? I do have a big bag of the things for my Vic SAKS, and changing them isn't a big chore, but it just goes on. With the Wenger type, there is no spring to break.

The Wenger serrated type bite into slippery plastic. I don't know how many of those little parts bags just resist any scissors, but the Wenger just eat into them and go right thru. They also bite into just about anything like synthetics which most just chew at and not cut thru. A bit hard to use for fingernail clipping as they leave a ragged edge, just for you to know.

Not to dis one or the other but just my experience over the ages using both.

The Aerojet
The early bird may get the worm, but it is second mouse which gets the CHEESE !!

The only easy day was yesterday.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: January 14, 2016, 04:45:28 PM
I do like scissors on a Vic but I carry a non scissors equipped Vic (OH Soldier) and get along just okay..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #59 on: January 14, 2016, 08:52:14 PM
I keep a Vic Rambler on my keychain, and honestly those scissors are fine for 97% of the scissors tasks I have.  So based on that, I don't really need scissors on a full size SAK. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%