Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Blacktip users?

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Any Blacktip users?
on: January 09, 2016, 04:49:52 AM
So I recently purchased a PowerLock to give SOG another chance after being disappointed with a PowerAssist I bought a while back.  The Powerlock has kind of grown on me.  I noticed a post about the SOG Blacktip at West Marine being on sale late last year but missed my chance at them.  Just found one for what seemed like a good price on the bay and pulled the trigger.  I like big MTs and can't wait to see it. 

Does anyone here actually carry/use a Blacktip regularly?  Anyone use it for fishing?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Any Blacktip users?
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 02:23:36 PM
I picked one up recently. So far I think this. Will take it fishing soon.

I'm still thinking about trying the PowerLock. Not sure I want to give SOG any more of my money though.

What didn't you like about the PowerAssist?

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 03:24:27 PM
I know what you mean about SOG.  I've posted before that they frustrate me because I think they have so much potential to be awesome but aren't quite there.  The pliers work smoother than any other tools I own and I love the needle nose profile and the precision with which they close.  I love the high polish and the ability to change out your tools. 

But the handles covers drive me nuts.  It can't be that hard to roll a few edges or at least make them secure enough to stay put when raising and lowering them.  The individual tools just 'feel' kind of cheap to me although I haven't had any trouble from them other than terrible clumping.  On my PowerAssist the tools would catch and rub on each other.  I think they could improve the lock/release buttons on the main blades of the PowerAssist.   And on my PowerLock I also have trouble getting the tools to lock open with out fiddling with the other tools on that handle.

So I too am torn.  :)

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 08:28:58 PM
i tried carrying the blacktip when i went bow fishing. I don't think it's ideal to be carrying around such a gigantic hunk of steel.
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 10:02:19 PM
Well, haven't carried it for long (got it less than 2 months ago) but I've carried it almost every day since then.

I thought it was too complex in the beginning, but now I really dig the OHO blade and I really LOVE the power and force of the compound leverage of this tool. It was a grail MT for me, and I don't regret a bit the effort it took to get it!

The needlenose is really precise and closes smooth and firmly. The phillips fits my LM bit exchanger like it was made for it, so nice!

I modded mine, and added some more useful tools for my daily needs.

I took out the can opener, flathead and fsh scaler, and added a saw and the 1/4 driver. It's now my go-to tool, and I hope to EDC it until it dies on me someday!

I love it, hope you enjoy yours as well!

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 03:21:10 AM
Hey thanks for the great reply.  Glad to see someone actually using one of these behemoths.  I haven't warmed up to the idea of EDCing  mine yet but I still think it's an awesome tool.  Might have scrounge up some spare tools and mod it like you did. 

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 08:29:17 AM
I got one. Have had it for some time. Its never been used. It has only come out for a few pics then back into the tool box it goes.    :D     An old pic from 11-04-11
sog 052.JPG
* sog 052.JPG (Filesize: 69.15 KB)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

au Online gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 12:10:12 PM
I have a concern that with such a heavy weight on you it might lead to drowning if you fall in the water while fishing - be careful out there !   ;)   :rofl:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%