Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Busted up. Again

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Busted up. Again
Reply #210 on: February 02, 2016, 08:26:38 PM
Very happy to hear there's progress, and the damage (reconstruction needed)  isn't as bad as the other foot  :tu: Hopefully less of the after effects from the other surgery, assuming you don't smurf it up in the meantime  :pok:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #211 on: February 02, 2016, 10:09:09 PM
Purple is good right, it'll match your mini skirt.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #212 on: February 03, 2016, 01:20:54 AM
My father made it back to the hospital today after a bit of a fiasco the other day.  Luckily his toes aren't broken, it's just soft tissue bruising.  Painful and serious in it's own way to be sure, but at least they aren't broken.

As for me, once again I am fascinated by the fiberglass cast and I have been thinking that some fiberglass mesh might be a worthy addition to a bug out bag and/or FAK.  In addition to being able to instantly immobilize large injuries I can see it having a lot of benefits for on site/off the cuff repairs to equipment or even as a building material.

The stuff they used today came in a foil pack and was ready to use.  The doctor simply wrapped it around my leg and in a few minutes it was hardened and dry and I was on my way.  I can see a lot of potential for a product like that in emergency type situations- no glues, no heat, no special treatment necessary.

The down side is, I'm looking the stuff up on eBay and it's not cheap either....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #213 on: February 03, 2016, 01:37:35 AM
Pictures from the hospital.  Don't open if you don't want to see the results of surgery and a foot/leg that have been in a cast for almost three weeks...

Show content

Def
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 01:39:37 AM by Grant Lamontagne »
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #214 on: February 03, 2016, 04:03:52 AM
Sounds like you need some purple shinys to match that pretty purple cast... I'm glad to hear you are getting closer to being unbroken. I'm sorry to hear about the lack of help you're getting. :(

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #215 on: February 03, 2016, 07:25:01 AM
for those that could not see the pictures of Grant's legs, here is one:

Show content
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #216 on: February 03, 2016, 03:58:31 PM

Show content

:rofl:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #217 on: February 03, 2016, 04:03:06 PM
Glad to hear that the ankle is getting better Def.  :cheers:
I hope that you'll be on your feet again soon!

It's strange, some of the excuses one will come up with to avoid going to the hospital.  ???
;)
And yes, some of this new tech is amazing.

Snip
What? No warnings? You made me go "!?!?!"!
Are you sure that you got the right pic?  :ahhh  :rofl:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 04:06:11 PM by Pablo O'Brien »
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #218 on: February 03, 2016, 04:21:41 PM

Show content

:rofl:
Mary is going to jealous, not having such a nicely colored leg :P
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #219 on: February 04, 2016, 06:11:26 AM
As for me, once again I am fascinated by the fiberglass cast and I have been thinking that some fiberglass mesh might be a worthy addition to a bug out bag and/or FAK.  In addition to being able to instantly immobilize large injuries I can see it having a lot of benefits for on site/off the cuff repairs to equipment or even as a building material.

The stuff they used today came in a foil pack and was ready to use.  The doctor simply wrapped it around my leg and in a few minutes it was hardened and dry and I was on my way.  I can see a lot of potential for a product like that in emergency type situations- no glues, no heat, no special treatment necessary.

Def

I just started carrying "Sam Splints" in my b.o.b.s and car emergency kits, cheaper (I think we paid like 15 bucks for 2) and reusable ;)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 06:14:40 AM by WhichDawg »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #220 on: February 04, 2016, 04:40:59 PM
SAM splints are a great alternative to the more expensive stuff.  They also can be used for neck injuries as well as being able to cut them to size, say for fingers or toes. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #221 on: February 05, 2016, 12:04:53 AM
Catching up and wow! A lot rings familiar, as my father has health issues building up, and while he's the toughest person I know, if continued to be left unchecked it will stop him at some point, wish he'd just get himself checked out, there are at least a couple surgeries he needs!

Grant, glad to hear it (doesn't sound as bad) as the other ankle, as far as less hardware! One thing to keep in mind if you get a walking cast eventually, is to find a shoe for the other foot that is very similar in height. Mismatching can really mess up your hip/back. Take care of yourself, it's never worth it to sacrifice long-term health for short term gains. Whatever is lost now can be regained, *except* irreparable damage! Glad to see that purple guy on the, it'll make it harder for you to use it!  >:D

I feel as the others do, I live in VT, so close to CA, it bothers me that I can't help.

The idea of reduced rent for painting, or promising future work is one that I'm sure would appeal to at least some, I know it would to me!

Take care man, once it's over you won't feel the stress you do now, nor remember it.  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #222 on: February 15, 2016, 02:02:34 PM
Just to update this since it has been a while....

Apparently I have been pushing myself a bit too hard and dealing with swelling issues, so I have been trying to force myself to take it easier.  I have been trying to do some shorter/easier/smaller jobs around the house so I don't feel quite so useless, and for the most part I have found a (more or less) balance in getting things done and sitting around with my foot elevated. 

I have almost completely cut out pain killers, and only only occasionally take a Tylenol if I've pushed myself a bit too much.

The inactivity has resulted in another problem though- I am not sleeping very well, and considering how much I normally struggle with insomnia, that is a HUGE statement.  I am so worn out most of the time nowadays that getting up in the morning and making breakfast is enough to wear me out so much that I am seriously fighting to keep my eyes open.

I went out to MEC last week, as you can see in my tongs thread and despite being a couple of days after a snowfall, and despite that area being the downtown core, this is what I had to get through on the streets.

The green building you can see just sticking out on the right is MEC.  Why the hell they stopped plowing the sidewalk right there, I don't know.

This street is ninety degrees to the first one I posted, and is probably a 30-35 degree incline.  This picture was taken from the top of the hill after I had to try and get over the snowbank that you can see at the bottom and come up the street since the sidewalk was an accident waiting to happen.

It amazes me that the city seems surprised every year that we get snow and ice.  Someone should tell them that this is CANADA.   :facepalm:

Needless to say, I happen to know someone reasonably highly placed in the Government and she made some waves and embarrassed some people over it, and coincidentally afterwards the City Councillor for my neighborhood suddenly became interested in my case after having given me a polite GFYS call and email a few weeks ago....

Although I still very much doubt that I will manage to get anything from the city, at least anything beyond a card stating how sorry they are for my accident and their sincerest best wishes for my recovery.

Which I suppose is all my life, limb and financially stability are worth in their eyes.

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #223 on: February 15, 2016, 02:24:41 PM
It reminds me of when you get all the reporters here being shocked about how hot it gets in the summer, every summer...

Well done to your special secret female helper  :D

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #224 on: February 18, 2016, 01:44:40 PM
Well yesterday I got adventurous as you all saw in the Pawn Shop Finds thread but what you may not know is that I had to walk a good percentage of the trip, and then decided it wasn't worth it to take the bus home so I decided to walk that too.  It doesn't sound like much, but I went about two and a quarter kilometers, or just under a mile and a half on crutches.

Needless to say, my shoulders are very stiff and sore this morning!

I've contacted my lawyer and he is going to send a letter- with any luck something will happen there. 

Def

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #225 on: February 18, 2016, 03:10:48 PM
Fingers crossed for a positive outcome Def.  :tu: Take good care of yourself. Just returned from a hospital visit with my wife - they chaecked the wound and recast her leg with a lighter weight plaster and she now has crutches for the next 8 - 10 weeks. She's like you too, taking it easy is going to be hard on her, so I'm trying to keep her occupied as much as possible.

All the best Def!  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #226 on: February 18, 2016, 03:29:32 PM
I hope the visit went well.  This is a very annoying injury to have.  You are still willing and able to do most things,  you just can't get to them or carry anything.

I'd strongly suggest getting her a nice sling bag to carry things around and stay out of the way of her crutches.   I'm finding mine to be invaluable.

Def

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #227 on: February 18, 2016, 03:46:31 PM
Cheers Chief, good call. I have just ordered her one. Got to sort  out a nice big sock too.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #228 on: February 19, 2016, 07:17:47 PM
Boss, I'd been taking some time off the forum and just catched up reading this thread.  Sorry to see how the city suck in dealing with the situation, but I do feel  relieved to see things are already getting a little brighter day by day, and that's all that matters.  Hang in there, and yes, you look great in purple.  :salute: :cheers:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #229 on: February 19, 2016, 08:20:58 PM
Thanks.

I can't wait to get this thing off me.  Another week and a half and I can dispose of this stinking ski boot.  My foot and leg really need a good cleaning.  You wouldn't believe how much dead skin you can accumulate on a foot (or any limb really!) in six weeks.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #230 on: February 22, 2016, 09:08:31 PM
Some good news today- I finally got one of my two empty apartments rented.  :D

I still need to find someone for the other apartment as well, but for now this takes a HUGE strain off of dear ol' Def.  I can't really relax yet, but I certainly have some serious breathing room now that I didn't have before.

And, one week from tomorrow I go to take this stupid cast off, and although I still won't be allowed to walk on it, I will at least be able to wear pants again and not have to hang one leg out of the tub when I shower or bathe!

And maybe I'll even be able to sleep again!

Def

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #231 on: February 22, 2016, 09:12:43 PM

I still need to find someone for the other apartment as well, but for now this takes a HUGE strain off of dear ol' Def.  I can't really relax yet, but I certainly have some serious breathing room now that I didn't have before.

And, one week from tomorrow I go to take this stupid cast off, and although I still won't be allowed to walk on it, I will at least be able to wear pants again and not have to hang one leg out of the tub when I shower or bathe!

Def

whoohooo :2tu:
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #232 on: February 22, 2016, 10:13:42 PM
Great news boss. :2tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #233 on: February 22, 2016, 10:23:55 PM
+1

I hope its not "that guy" ::)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #234 on: February 22, 2016, 11:32:45 PM

Def
Glad to hear some good news for you man!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #235 on: February 23, 2016, 01:56:22 AM
+1

I hope its not "that guy" ::)

Nope.  Not that guy. Got to be careful with those guys or they will cost you a lot more than you'll ever make off them.

Def

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #236 on: February 23, 2016, 07:40:59 PM
Great to hear, and am sure you'd feel a world of difference once you could get proper sleep!  :tu:

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #237 on: February 24, 2016, 06:20:39 AM

Def

Glad that things are starting to look up a bit.

Hang in there!     

133512.jpeg
* 133512.jpeg (Filesize: 109.88 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #238 on: February 24, 2016, 12:24:31 PM
I had been going out of my way to make sure my cast was protected, then after a slight plumbing issue yesterday the vast got soaked.

The water didn't affect the fiberglass any but the cotton inside soaked up a fair bit of water, so with six days left of wearing a cast I have to go to the hospital and have it replaced.

What's that bit about the best laid plans again?

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #239 on: February 24, 2016, 12:28:58 PM
..at least you did not pee inside the cast   :D :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $0.00
PayPal Fees: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Below Goal: $300.00
Site Currency: USD
 0%