Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ersatz SAKs

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Ersatz SAKs
on: January 24, 2016, 05:47:03 AM
There was some discussion a while back about a thread for 'sorta SAKs/SAK wannabes/ersatz SAKs', featuring multi blade knives from countries other than Switzerland. Nothing came of it, so I decided to start the ball rolling. We may want to create a new forum for these critters; in the mean time here are an assortment from around the world.

Aitor Fisherman - 5 blades - Spain
Two unmarked French multi blades (one was picked up in Paris)
Boker Tech Tool - 8 blades - China
Old Boker - 6 blades - Germany

IMG_4385.JPG
* IMG_4385.JPG (Filesize: 125.59 KB)
IMG_2712.JPG
* IMG_2712.JPG (Filesize: 59.68 KB)
IMG_7004.JPG
* IMG_7004.JPG (Filesize: 58.75 KB)
IMG_5674.JPG
* IMG_5674.JPG (Filesize: 107.68 KB)

us Offline ColoSwiss

Re: Ersatz SAKs
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 05:49:41 AM
Ersatz SAKs -pt 2

Kershaw Quartermaster - 7 blades - Japan
Mercury - 10 blades - Italy
Mikov - 10 blades - Czech Rep.

IMG_4215.JPG
* IMG_4215.JPG (Filesize: 109.75 KB)
IMG_4387.JPG
* IMG_4387.JPG (Filesize: 127.44 KB)
IMG_4389.JPG
* IMG_4389.JPG (Filesize: 131.16 KB)

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 06:06:21 AM
Boker 940 Scout/Camper
Boker 940 Scouts2.JPG
* Boker 940 Scouts2.JPG (Filesize: 153.98 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 07:24:12 AM
Aitor kept 108 alive long after Vic had abandoned it,  and took it places that Vic never did.

The gardening shears are excellent.   

The hobo knife is one of my favorites,  this one originally had a "Panama Jack" logo which wore off with use.   Why won't Vic make a hobo knife?   They tease us with a plastic toy one for little kids,  but if we want a real one,  we have to go elsewhere.

Another of the knives here, while not a hobo,  does at least include a fork.   That doesn't take up much space,  why doesn't Vic put one in some of their knives?

Oddly enough, this hobo knife doesn't split in two like many other hobos,  but the fisherman does:

R

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 07:35:07 AM
Hi Andy,

If you didn't see it, there's a thread on Hobos over in General Tool Discussion.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,63962.msg1206881.html#msg1206881
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 07:43:27 AM by ColoSwiss »

mk Offline Deedee

Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 10:46:28 AM
I really like the Mikov.  :drool: One of the best non swiss pocket knives. Where did you get it, and price??

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 12:22:59 PM
A knife sold in KTM motorcycle dealers marked "Rostfrei Solingen Germany."  It's not very good, they should have gone to Ibach for their promotional pocket knife!

Second, a Nieto Picnic.
ktm.jpg
* ktm.jpg (Filesize: 131.11 KB)
nieto.jpg
* nieto.jpg (Filesize: 121.91 KB)

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 12:35:24 PM
Please forgive me my ignorance ... but why do call this topic "Ersatz SAKs"? Is there another meaning of "Ersatz" in english language? I just know it as Ersatz with the same meaning as "Replacement".

Just curious... and not I hardly own any of this kind of knives... don´t know why though.
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

de Offline matzesu

Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 12:54:35 PM
Wannabe, but this also isnt exaktly true, because Vic/Wenger wherend the first companys who invented multi purpose pocketknifes..
SAK like mybe..
Ersatz SAK also isnt the right word, more
Alternative zum SAK would make sense..
"Alternativ to the Swiss Army Knife"..
Your SAK is only fully yours, when it bites you, or you opend a Trink of your joice whit it
SAKs i have: Huntsman Light (Red Transparent), Workchamp (Black), Wenger EvoGrip S557 (Red), Swisschamp XLT (Red Transparent).. Swisschamp (Blue Transparent) Cybertool L (Blue Celidor (custom scales) , Huntsman (Black Celidor) , Victorinox EvoGrip S557 (Red, but sadly lost in my house somewhere) Victorinox Delemont S17 and S57 ..  , waiting for: Swiza D09 Blue

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 01:45:09 PM
Indeed... I don´t want to derail the thread, but I just wanted some clarification.  ;)
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

de Offline matzesu

Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 02:38:15 PM
I have some sak clones
And a werry old SAK Lookalike which should be a japanese one..
But i ditnt have a picture of this knife but from the clones from discounters ALDI and chibo:

The cheap one is in the middle, the others are swisschamp xlt and huntsman light..
The other clone also dos have the same toolset
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:39:36 PM by matzesu »
Your SAK is only fully yours, when it bites you, or you opend a Trink of your joice whit it
SAKs i have: Huntsman Light (Red Transparent), Workchamp (Black), Wenger EvoGrip S557 (Red), Swisschamp XLT (Red Transparent).. Swisschamp (Blue Transparent) Cybertool L (Blue Celidor (custom scales) , Huntsman (Black Celidor) , Victorinox EvoGrip S557 (Red, but sadly lost in my house somewhere) Victorinox Delemont S17 and S57 ..  , waiting for: Swiza D09 Blue

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 11:42:15 PM
Please forgive me my ignorance ... but why do call this topic "Ersatz SAKs"? Is there another meaning of "Ersatz" in english language? I just know it as Ersatz with the same meaning as "Replacement".

Just curious... and not I hardly own any of this kind of knives... don´t know why though.

In English 'ersatz' means 'imitation', often with the connotation of inferior. Probably dates back to the World War I era, when ersatz coffee was made from acorns, when ersatz leather was cardboard.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:10:54 AM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 11:49:56 PM
I really like the Mikov.  :drool: One of the best non swiss pocket knives. Where did you get it, and price??

I bought it about ten years ago, probably on a trip to Prague. Paid $43 for it.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 11:51:57 PM
Indeed... I don´t want to derail the thread, but I just wanted some clarification.  ;)

Derailment is a way of life around here.   :D

* images.jpeg (Filesize: 11.77 KB)

us Offline cody6268

Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 01:57:17 AM
How are the pliers on the Aitor knives?  I see a 108mm ish Aitor on Amazon for $40 that has pliers, and I'm kind of considering getting it.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 06:46:08 AM
How are the pliers on the Aitor knives?  I see a 108mm ish Aitor on Amazon for $40 that has pliers, and I'm kind of considering getting it.

The Aitors appear to be solidly built, but I've never carried one.

de Offline bobfences

Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 06:22:08 PM
My two Aitors:

Thomas

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 05:56:55 PM
I have a bunch of crappy CAKs (Chinese Army Knives) but none are worth posting.

I definitely want to add a Camillus US Army knife to my collection at some point, but waiting for a good deal there.

Anyone here have these?  Thoughts?

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 06:46:31 PM
Wonderful knives! Very tough but some reports of backsprings breaking but those are offset by the comment that some GI's could tear up anything. :D  Generally seen as great by those that use/own them.

Mine.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 07:58:01 PM
Wonderful knives! Very tough but some reports of backsprings breaking but those are offset by the comment that some GI's could tear up anything. :D  Generally seen as great by those that use/own them.

Mine.
(Image removed from quote.)

They also tend to be finger nail removers.

The over-size bail allowed the knife to be slipped onto the handle of a mess kit along with other utensils for cleaning in a can of hot soapy water.

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 10:44:03 PM

Mine.

They also tend to be finger nail removers.

The over-size bail allowed the knife to be slipped onto the handle of a mess kit along with other utensils for cleaning in a can of hot soapy water.
I recall reading somewhere that was because there was a notion of replacing the mess kit knife altogether with the Mil-k. Also that was the root of backspring failures because of the cutlery grade stainless called for in the specs. I myself have seen three with backspring failures...don't ever fan out the blades on them.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 03:50:49 PM
I have a bunch of crappy CAKs (Chinese Army Knives) but none are worth posting.

I definitely want to add a Camillus US Army knife to my collection at some point, but waiting for a good deal there.

Anyone here have these?  Thoughts?

For a collection knife--I say go for it! But as a carry knife, be wary.  I keep hearing these  have backsprings that break easily.  I picked up one for about $8 this way (since good ones were at least quadruple), and since it's the openers layer that's broken, I'm thinking about thinning it down to just a blade and awl.   Ontario makes new ones as well, which can be found for $30-40.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 03:52:35 PM by cody6268 »

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #22 on: November 18, 2016, 03:04:14 PM
Rough Rider ersatz Classic SD:

https://www.heinnie.com/rough-rider-swiss-style-knife

No Swiss cross so I wouldn't call it a fake, but it is a close copy.  Rough Rider knives are usually of passable quality, but based on Amazon.com reviews this may not be one of their best efforts.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #23 on: November 18, 2016, 03:11:00 PM
Camper clone by Adler (former Eastern Germany). Real nice though not as high quality as Victorinox.
DSC00755-adler-camper-1.jpg
* DSC00755-adler-camper-1.jpg (Filesize: 379.48 KB)
DSC00758-adler-camper-2.jpg
* DSC00758-adler-camper-2.jpg (Filesize: 145.22 KB)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #24 on: November 18, 2016, 05:22:28 PM
My first slipjoint (as a kid) was a Camillus and indeed the backspring broke. I used it with care, as I do my SAK. I remember someone wrote somewhere that they use the same steel for blade and springs, where they should use softer and more flexible steel for the springs.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: November 19, 2016, 02:55:17 PM

Mine.

I was in the U.S. Army engineers in the late 1960's. We had these knives in the supply room and they did indeed have a reputation for snapping back springs. On top of that, the screw driver/cap lifter tool was a bear to to pen, and many of the guys ended up tearing up their thumb nails on the things. While I was stationed in Germany, I saw most of the guys buy SAK's in the little knife shop in town. Any SAK was desired over the issue scout knife that was a mediocre piece of equipment at best. I've been out of the army now for 45 years, and in that time haven't felt any desire to own one of those issue knives again in this lifetime. Compared to a Victorinox pioneer, the issue knife is like comparing a Yugo to a B.M.W.!

What I'm trying to say in a polite way is, those issue knives were a big POS! :D
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #26 on: November 19, 2016, 03:12:08 PM

er·satz
(of a product) made or used as a substitute, typically an inferior one, for something else

So many words from my language are loaned and used with slightly to completely a different way in English and other languages, I wouldn't wonder that would be true for German too. What does it mean in German?

From Wikipedia:
Ersatz
is a German word literally meaning substitute or replacement.[1]Although it is used as an adjective in English, it is a noun in German. In German orthography noun phrases formed are usually represented as a single word, forming compound nouns such as Ersatzteile ("spare parts") or Ersatzspieler ("substitute player"). While the term used in English often implies that the substitution is of unsatisfactory or inferior quality compared with the "real thing", it has both connotations in German, depending on the other noun; e.g. Ersatzteile ("spare parts") is a technical expression without any implication about quality, whereas in other cases it may mean things of poorer quality, e.g. Ersatzkaffee (coffee not made from coffee beans).

I would call Esatz SAKS most multi blade knives that want to look like saks (some have red scales and a similar logo, also their tools copy the Swiss ones) but some scout, navy and army knives have a character of their own. Maybe Swiss Style Knives, SSK, would be more precise? You know, like Greek Style Yougurt?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 03:13:39 PM by kkokkolis »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD