Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitool in the dishwasher? Has anyone experience with it?

nl Offline anditsgone

I would like to put my Swisstool in the dishwasher to get it thoroughly cleaned because it is full with bearing grease, mayonaise, dust particles, metal particles etc...

I could see that because the heat of the water that the tools would expand in size and put stress on the rivets.
Also the aggressive cleaning solvents may cause the finish to become a matte finish.

The water is not hot enough to damage the heat treatment on the tools and knife.

Is there someone that has done this before? If this doesn't damage the tool i think this would be the ultimate way to clean your mt. :D   
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 115.5 KB)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 01:36:39 PM by anditsgone »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Multitool in the dishwasher? Has anyone experience with it?
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 01:37:11 PM
I do that all the time with all my MTs and SAKs (exception cellulose scales and electronics of course).

So far I have washed at 40°C (Several SAKs I also have washed at 70°C):
- SwissTool Spirit
- Various cellidor models from the 58/91mm families
- Various alox models from the 58/93mm families
- Böker City Tool
- LM squirt/micra
- Swiza (also that ended with a permanent imprint on the scale), so if you have plastic make sure it is not pressed or it will show
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 01:39:08 PM
You can do that.
Only thing that I would fear is the dishwasher detergent, as I think that some of those might do something to the tool.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 01:51:56 PM
I personally wouldn't worry about a Swisstool, let alone any all metal, non electronic multitool in the dishwasher.  I found a while ago that SAKs aren't a good idea, but I see no reason the SwissTool, which is arguably one of the toughest multitools out there, wouldn't withstand any heat or cleaners your dishwasher can throw at is.  As you can see from this ancient SOSAKOnline article, I washed a bunch of SAKs and the only things affected were standard cellidor scales:

http://swissarmyknights.com/articles/2009/april-2009/426-urban-sak-myth

One of the SAKs in that particular challenge was later given yellow scales after it's red ones were warped, and has become my most used EDC knife in years.

It has been used quite hard (home improvement, automotive repair and modification, food prep, and even used to cut a rocker panel off a BMW- don't ask...) and it still functions today as well as it ever has.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 02:16:34 PM
Agreement to all above - An all-steel-model shouldn't be bothered too much if you put it into the dishwasher once.

Only things I'd take a closer look at are the metal files, which are a bit more prone to corrosion, and the aluminium liners on regular SAKs, which become grey and dull. (The cellidor scales should be removed imho if you want to be really thorough in cleaning away the gunk and they don't like dishwashers that much- full agreement to Grant :cheers:)

The reasons why you should never put a premium knife into the dishwasher are pitting (corrosion in form of small spots which gradually eat away more and more steel) and etching away the very fine cutting edge. Both won't be too dangerous in a once-in-five-years-tour through the washer.

Good washing!
Tomcat

« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 02:22:03 PM by Tomcat_81 »
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 02:23:11 PM
After reading the stories i was convinced and have put my swisstool in it with all the tools folded outwards.
We will see how it comes out :think:

If this works great i might do it every month to keep the tool clean. I use it to prep my bread that i take to work so it gets gunked up with peanut butter etc.. I also always cut the mayonaise bottles open to get the last out of it. 1 month old mayonaise doesn't look that tasty anymore :D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 02:25:10 PM by anditsgone »

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 02:28:46 PM
This is what victorinox advises you to do:

Cleaning
Fruit juices can flow between the blades when cleaning or cutting fruit and these become sticky after they have dried. Open and close the blades several times in warm water until they move easily again. After drying, place a small drop of oil between the blades and the tool shank or spring as well as other friction surfaces. Never clean your SwissTool or SwissTool Spirit in a dishwasher!

:facepalm:

ARE SWISS ARMY KNIVES DISHWASHER PROOF?
The temperature in dishwashers can reach between 55 and 80 degrees Celsius (130 to 180 degrees Fahrenheit), depending on the selected cycle. Cleaning salts and strong cleaning agents are used during this process.

Exposing Swiss Army Knives to aggressive environments and high temperatures for extended periods can cause damage.

Therefore, do not put Swiss Army Knives or other pocket tools in the dishwasher!

:facepalm:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 02:32:30 PM by anditsgone »

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 02:29:44 PM
Or, you could soak that thing in a solvent for a couple of days (WD-40, Boeshield, CLP, etc.) and have no chance of rust.  But yeah, I have run SAKs through the dishwasher with no prob.  The only thing you have to be concerned with it drying it quickly and thoroughly.  I prefer a hair dryer or careful application of a heat gun, followed by lube.

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 03:02:36 PM
I doubt that hot water will damage the tool. But what would concern me a little is the used cleaning salt in the dishwashers. I´ve just asked my wife - the kitchen is hers - she never puts knives of any kind in the dishwasher. They always get cleaned by hand. I asked for the reason; the cleaning salt in the dishwasher will dull the edges (somehow).

Personally I doubt it - but it could be possible.

My idea - not recommendation - is: you should keep the tools which you want to keep sharp inside the handles. You could keep the tools closed - pliers opened for cleaning inside the dishwasher. The hot water should soak out the dirt, debris and whatsoever out of you tool.
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 03:10:18 PM
I doubt that hot water will damage the tool. But what would concern me a little is the used cleaning salt in the dishwashers. I´ve just asked my wife - the kitchen is hers - she never puts knives of any kind in the dishwasher. They always get cleaned by hand. I asked for the reason; the cleaning salt in the dishwasher will dull the edges (somehow).

Personally I doubt it - but it could be possible.

My idea - not recommendation - is: you should keep the tools which you want to keep sharp inside the handles. You could keep the tools closed - pliers opened for cleaning inside the dishwasher. The hot water should soak out the dirt, debris and whatsoever out of you tool.

Thanks for the info on the salt that is in the cleaning solvent, i will rinse the tool with water after it is ready.
At this moment it is still in the dishwasher.

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 03:46:38 PM
she never puts knives of any kind in the dishwasher.
:tu:
You've got a diamond there, Humppa!
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 04:12:26 PM
It is ready!

It is almost as clean as the day it left the factory two years ago :D
I will oil all the joints again with hypoid oil after it has dried completely.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 161.24 KB)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 04:15:34 PM by anditsgone »

scotland Offline Boaz

Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 05:12:12 PM
It does look very nice, good job.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 07:20:57 PM
I would not worry of tools that are solely of metal going through washing machine. Or boil them. Just dry and oil good, and you will manage good.

Just do not put any SAK with plastick scales in hot water. They will warp. More than 45 celsius will warp them.

us Offline Wanimator

Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 02:33:40 AM
Wash it by hand?

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 10:36:25 AM
5 days have passed since i put my swisstool in the dishwasher, i haven't oiled it yet because i am lazy i
guess :think:

I haven't found any rust spots and the tools open and close very nice, it doesn't feel gritty or hard hard to open.
I might stop oiling the joints because i have the feeling that it attracts more dust and sand then that it makes the tools easier to deploy.

us Offline Wanimator

Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 05:16:12 PM
I might stop oiling the joints because i have the feeling that it attracts more dust and sand then that it makes the tools easier to deploy.

Find a dry lubricant that you like, they won't attract all the problem stuff and reduce wear and keep it operating quite smoothly depending on the lube.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 10:22:24 PM
Went through the dishwasher again yesterday. There is not rust on the tool except for the file but i guess that comes from small metal particals that are still left behind in the grooves of the file

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 02:19:17 PM
I am glad (but not surprised!) to hear your Swiss tool survived the dishwasher.  It is pretty much the most bulletproof tool out there.

I second the comment about a dry lubricant.  I use powdered graphite whenever possible and it works great without trapping gunk in pivots.  I usually use the stuff that comes in a small tube (looks like a tiny toothpaste tube) but recently I have been experimenting with an aerosol graphite.  It leaves a black stain on things but it works very well otherwise.

Def
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 02:20:41 PM by Grant Lamontagne »
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 03:03:45 PM
I am glad (but not surprised!) to hear your Swiss tool survived the dishwasher.  It is pretty much the most bulletproof tool out there.

I second the comment about a dry lubricant.  I use powdered graphite whenever possible and it works great without trapping gunk in pivots.  I usually use the stuff that comes in a small tube (looks like a tiny toothpaste tube) but recently I have been experimenting with an aerosol graphite.  It leaves a black stain on things but it works very well otherwise.

Def
I use aerosol graphite (the one used for keyholes) works great
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 05:12:39 PM

Def

I don't notice any difference in the smoothness of the deployment with or without lubrication.
Even the scissors work great with oiling the joint.

Although victorinox recommends oiling the joints i dont think it is needed. It is not like it is a piston or shaft that depends on an oil film or otherwise it will cease the engine.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 07:38:14 PM

Def
:twak: Dosen't even use his own lubricant product......
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 08:12:12 PM
I'm not surprised it came out unscathed.  I do believe lubricants attract ( whatever debris  ) I also believe with tools that have washers the lubricant help the friction between the two surfaces.   
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD