Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Question about the Juice-line handles

Humppa · 18 · 1665

bavaria Offline Humppa

Question about the Juice-line handles
on: April 05, 2016, 07:39:20 PM
Hi guys!

I´ve been eyeballing almost with some of Leatherman tools in the past. One I was rather interessted in was the Juice S2. It seemed to be a nice, small and capable little slip-in-the-pockets-tools.

But a few weeks ago I went online found them in a dress. They were no longer those nicely made orange, blue or purple Juices. They have a steel side now and a "somehow jigged" appeared side of the handle. At the first look I hated that design. But I can´t change it. On the secondary market they don´t appear too often it seems. But on the second look I could live with it - I suppose.

So my question about the colored, jigged side of the handle: Is this steel/aluminium as well or is that plastic? Does the jigging there has any effect rather than just an optical one?

I was too foolish and didn´t buy the design I liked...  :twak:  :rant:
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

us Offline NetsNJ

Re: Question about the Juice-line handles
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 08:22:02 PM
I think it is aluminum.  I think the biggest change is the inexplicably shortened blade length.  And yes, they seem to be harder to find used than other models, not sure why.  I've been looking to pick up an s2 used for some time.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 08:24:42 PM by NetsNJ »

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 08:54:02 PM

I think the older handles dinged easily and with the smooth paint finish scratches were easy to notice too. The new textured pattern rectifies that to some degree. I suspect they might have gone with thicker scale covers on the new ones but not 100% certain and do not know the material used either. Someone else here might know.

Why the smooth handle on the other side? To have a flat surface to engrave names and charge you for it.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 11:00:36 PM
I do know why the blades were shortened. At the same time Leatherman was getting ready to refresh the Juice line, the TSA (agency in charge of security at public US airports) announced they were strongly considering allowing blades 2.5" (or maybe 2") and smaller in carry on baggage. Leatherman decided it would be prudent to shorten the blade to meet this upcomming regulation, making the Juice line ideal for airplane carry. Ultimately, that regulation fell through, and all blades are still banned in airports, but Leatherman had already made the investment in retooling, and it was presumably too late to revert to the old design.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 12:59:08 AM
They could easily change back to the old design, but the small knife IS allowed on flights in the EU.
- Steve

fr Offline hellsing

Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 01:03:50 PM
They could easily change back to the old design, but the small knife IS allowed on flights in the EU.

?!!
Are you sure of it? I often take the plane and they still confiscate knives. What is short for you, cause a micra won't pass in France.

edit: apparently it's 3cm max. Enjoy such a tiny blade
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 02:49:04 PM by hellsing »

se Offline Eld

Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 09:26:55 PM
You can not carry a knife of any sort on a flight in Europe. (Unless the security people do a sloppy job.) As a matter of fact the security people once took my nail scissors.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 11:26:11 PM
You can not carry a knife of any sort on a flight in Europe. (Unless the security people do a sloppy job.) As a matter of fact the security people once took my nail scissors.

Wow, sorry to hear that. But didn't you feel *safer*?  ;)

se Offline Eld

Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 11:34:22 PM

Wow, sorry to hear that. But didn't you feel *safer*?  ;)

I think the keys on my keyring are more dangerous than my nail scissors and probably also more dangerous that the knife on my squirt.

gb Offline Biker_Bob

Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 04:03:05 PM
The new scales look to be anodized, the finish is much more durable.
A bigger difference is that on the old S2 both handles had the coloured scales, whereas on the later version one is coloured and the other polished stainless.
The blade length doesn't make any difference to me.
I have two early S2s and a new "jigged" version - the build quality looks the same, so get whichever.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 04:29:01 PM
I got my hands on a "jigged" juice and while early on I wasn't too thrilled with the look I actually like it.  It would have been IMO great if both handles were "jigged".  The blue on mine is quite striking as well. 

As far as the blade, I also wasn't too thrilled with that early on but as BB said, "The blade length doesn't make any difference to me".  I do like the shape very much. 

As you can see the Juice blade is comparable to the Cadet ( still a bit shorter ) tho the picture makes it look like the Juice blade is almost a long as the 91mm it is a fair bit shorter. 
IMG_0683 copy.jpg
* IMG_0683 copy.jpg (Filesize: 185.48 KB)
IMG_0684 copy.jpg
* IMG_0684 copy.jpg (Filesize: 179.33 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 04:38:52 PM
As far as the blade, I also wasn't too thrilled with that early on but as BB said, "The blade length doesn't make any difference to me".  I do like the shape very much.

Ugh. NOT liking that new blade. Glad I've got plenty of old-skool Juices.

Gott question, though: you say the non-jigged handles are polished stainless. Do you mean polished thin covers over a skeletonize frame, like the old Juices (but shinier)? Or are the outer frames solid and polished stainless?

(You can tell by opening one of the outer tools behind a non-jigged scale, and see if there's that skeletonized frame showing on the inside.)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 04:52:43 PM

Ugh. NOT liking that new blade. Glad I've got plenty of old-skool Juices.

Gott question, though: you say the non-jigged handles are polished stainless. Do you mean polished thin covers over a skeletonize frame, like the old Juices (but shinier)? Or are the outer frames solid and polished stainless?

(You can tell by opening one of the outer tools behind a non-jigged scale, and see if there's that skeletonized frame showing on the inside.)

The skeleton frame is behind the SS covers on the scissor side not on the corkscrew side.  The covers are rolled over but they don't appear to be terribly thin.

IMG_0687 copy.jpg
* IMG_0687 copy.jpg (Filesize: 161.78 KB)
IMG_0688 copy.jpg
* IMG_0688 copy.jpg (Filesize: 128.85 KB)
IMG_0686 copy.jpg
* IMG_0686 copy.jpg (Filesize: 123.82 KB)
IMG_0689 copy.jpg
* IMG_0689 copy.jpg (Filesize: 156.86 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 05:13:25 PM
I just thought they shortened he blade, I am a fan of a wharncliffe blade or would you call that one a sheepsfoot? :think: Either way I like that style blade :tu: I only have 3 Juices (2 KF4 and a Pro) but I may try to source one of these just because of the blade :D

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 05:18:11 PM

Chako has done a great series of reviews including a number on the juice line. This is the latest i could fine -

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,52252.0.html

It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 06:38:36 PM

The skeleton frame is behind the SS covers on the scissor side not on the corkscrew side.  The covers are rolled over but they don't appear to be terribly thin.

Ah, OK, so they didn't really change the construction. The corkscrew layer was always solid, no cutouts.

Looks like Leatherman just swapped out the paper-thin, painted aluminum scales with thin, polished stainless ones. Negligible extra weight, but they should wear a crapload better than the old ones.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 06:49:36 PM
Shame they didn't jig the entire exterior.  I love the idea of the Juice line but something always leaves me empty  :think:.     
Esse Quam Videri

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 09:37:21 PM
Shame they didn't jig the entire exterior.  I love the idea of the Juice line but something always leaves me empty  :think:.   

I also like the idea of the Juice line. And I also wish they would have done each handle side the same way. As it is, it somehow doesn´t look ready ... looks some kind of unfinished to me. Like a pistol that does not have a hammer. There seem to be things that need to be on an object, just to keep it the way it should be.
Might be a strange comparison, but that´s what it is.

I always liked the look the old Juice S2s had. But now they just look... unfinished.
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69