Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Evil Incarnate: Evil's modern interpretation of the Mini-Tool.....

evil510 · 147 · 18938

us Offline evil510

• Envision. Create. Innovate.
Finalized shaping of scissor blades. Primary grind and polish.....
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Evil's Urban Trekker (on hold)
Shear Evil (on hold)
The Evil Incarnate (a work in progress)

UPDATES:
Evil's Quad Strop Mini introduced.....
Evil's Pocket Octo-Driver introduced.....
Brute Driver HD - COMPLETE

LATEST NEWS:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Blade, scissors, awl... This is absolutely dreamy!   :dd:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

I know isn't it though :dd:

us Offline evil510

Thank you, ReamerPunch.....  :salute:

I know isn't it though :dd:
Thank you, Poncho.....  :salute:

Created pivot pin today and installed. Sharpened and honed.....

If you were wondering about the curious design, I made it so that the spring itself acts like a stop, or limit, when the rear end of the moving blade contacts it.....

I also made it so that with a little additional pressure against the spring, you can open it further to facilitate ease of sharpening in the future.....

Closer view of peening of pivot.....

Crazy sharp from pivot to tip. Practice cuts on delicate receipt paper.....

Backside view.....

One main tool to go.....

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 08:10:19 AM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Man, that looks fantastic! Is there room for one more tool on the blade side? im an idiot who cant read.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Man, that looks fantastic! Is there room for one more tool on the blade side? im an idiot who cant read.

:facepalm:

:D

:popcorn:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Looking so awesome :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

us Offline evil510

Thank you, sLaughter.....  :salute:

Looking so awesome :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
Thank you Poncho.....  :salute:

Decided on a bit driver for the fourth main tool. Ran the prototype through the paces today with both Urban Driver and Brute Driver HD and it passed with flying colors, so, next step will be to refine the design and create a spring mechanism to retain tools on the driver.....

Unrefined prototype of new 2D bit driver mocked up with hex bit adapter. No spring retention mechanism made yet.....

Close-up view of nailnick.....

Four main tools deployed.....

« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 07:11:08 AM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline Aberdrew13

:2tu: :clap: :clap: :clap:
If my text is in blue, read it with sarcasm.  That is how it's meant!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
I said it before and I am gonna say it again

That thing is even awesomer now :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
I've just spent the last 45 minutes (my lunch break) going through this thread.  I'm completely gobsmacked.  Evil, I've seen a lot of your projects and this one is one of your best.  The 2D bit holder is what SOG should have done. It's a great concept, that they (SOG) fell short with.

If your shelves ever get too full, I could store a few of these projects for you...  ;)

us Offline evil510

Thank you, Aberdrew.....  :salute:

Thank you, Poncho.....  :salute:  Little by little, it is truly becoming a tool perfectly suiting my needs.....

I've just spent the last 45 minutes (my lunch break) going through this thread.  I'm completely gobsmacked.  Evil, I've seen a lot of your projects and this one is one of your best.  The 2D bit holder is what SOG should have done. It's a great concept, that they (SOG) fell short with.

If your shelves ever get too full, I could store a few of these projects for you...  ;)
Thank you for the praise, Mr. Whippy..... :cheers: My upcoming Shear Evil and Urban Trekker projects should be fairly noteworthy as well. While most all of my projects are kept under wraps until completion, this has been one of my first larger scale projects where I've included you all in the creative process along the way.....

When I first created the 2D bit driver for the LM bit card, I researched beforehand and found that one of the main complaints with the SOG version was that the spring would easily pop off. So, I set out to create my own version that would not come off unless you chose to do so for repair/replacement. To this day, the spring on my first 2D bit driver has never popped off once. It was a no brainer to fashion this new version with the same design.....

Surprisingly, my arsenal of multitools is actually quite small, but, I will remember your offer to store them  :salute: My Urban Trekker project, which you so kindly donated scissors to all those years ago, has sat at a 95% complete stage for over a year. Just some fine tuning and engraving left before I introduce it to you all.....

I made the new bit driver as long as possible, the full length of the secondary handles. Edges are beveled 45 degress to form the 2D square drive shape. Channels made for new spring system. Spring created and installed. I did more real world testing/abusing today. Seeing as this is only a slipjoint tool vs. a locking tool, this tool is so long it creates leverage which could possibly fold back towards the handle under certain types of extreme forces. For that reason, I have decided to change the design a bit. I will be adding either a large finger choil or aggressive jimping to the bottom edge so that you can add additional force to keep it firmly deployed for good measure. If that made no sense, the photos in my next update should help.....  ;)

Close-up view of new spring retention system.. I'll do further refinement once I finalize the shape of the rest of this tool...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 07:39:41 AM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline Aberdrew13

What do you use for the spring?
If my text is in blue, read it with sarcasm.  That is how it's meant!

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
It lacks the can/bottle openers from the original...  :whistle:

de Offline windson

• Observe - Evaluate - Control
Thank you, Aberdrew.....  :salute:

Thank you, Poncho.....  :salute:  Little by little, it is truly becoming a tool perfectly suiting my needs.....

Thank you for the praise, Mr. Whippy..... :cheers: My upcoming Shear Evil and Urban Trekker projects should be fairly noteworthy as well. While most all of my projects are kept under wraps until completion, this has been one of my first larger scale projects where I've included you all in the creative process along the way.....

When I first created the 2D bit driver for the LM bit card, I researched beforehand and found that one of the main complaints with the SOG version was that the spring would easily pop off. So, I set out to create my own version that would not come off unless you chose to do so for repair/replacement. To this day, the spring on my first 2D bit driver has never popped off once. It was a no brainer to fashion this new version with the same design.....

Surprisingly, my arsenal of multitools is actually quite small, but, I will remember your offer to store them  :salute: My Urban Trekker project, which you so kindly donated scissors to all those years ago, has sat at a 95% complete stage for over a year. Just some fine tuning and engraving left before I introduce it to you all.....

I made the new bit driver as long as possible, the full length of the secondary handles. Edges are beveled 45 degress to form the 2D square drive shape. Channels made for new spring system. Spring created and installed. I did more real world testing/abusing today. Seeing as this is only a slipjoint tool vs. a locking tool, this tool is so long it creates leverage which could possibly fold back towards the handle under certain types of extreme forces. For that reason, I have decided to change the design a bit. I will be adding either a large finger choil or aggressive jimping to the bottom edge so that you can add additional force to keep it firmly deployed for good measure. If that made no sense, the photos in my next update should help.....  ;)
(Image removed from quote.)

Close-up view of new spring retention system.. I'll do further refinement once I finalize the shape of the rest of this tool...

What a pleasure to follow such outstanding attention to detail and refined craftsmanship.  :cheers:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Evil, this tool is shaping up to be incredible.  I really admire your craftsmanship and how you very deliberately create each portion of your tools.  Hats off sir.   :salute:

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
words fail me.  I was trying to explain just how amazing this tool is, but I cannot find adjectives with enough depth to describe it.

I will tell you that if this was for sale right now, I would buy one.  (I really wish it was a model I could go buy)
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
words fail me.  I was trying to explain just how amazing this tool is, but I cannot find adjectives with enough depth to describe it.

I will tell you that if this was for sale right now, I would buy one.  (I really wish it was a model I could go buy)

Yeah this thing is beyond me to describe accurately as well :cheers: I love all the tools on it and am floorboard by the fact that I can't buy one of these :cry: Here's to the  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh !!!!SUPER-MINI!!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

us Offline evil510

What do you use for the spring?
Oddly enough, what I used for the spring... was a spring. I modified a straight length of automotive spring intended for an intake system.....

It lacks the can/bottle openers from the original...  :whistle:
You are absolutely correct. For me and my specific needs, thank goodness it has neither. As mentioned outright, this is a companion tool as opposed to a standalone tool. Some tools I don't mind redundancy of, such as: knife, awl, scissors. I use a bottle opener next to never... and a can opener even less. My Micra and Style EV1 can open bottles. With that said, I've never had a problem opening up a bottle with pliers anyway, which this tool has. While the original mini-tool does have both, I had no inclination to add them to my version. The main reason is that I truly have no need for them. To add them to this tool would detract from it being customized solely for me. Most manufacturers include both on most of their tools, and on just about every one of them I've ever owned, I've removed them. On my Urban Trekker, which is a SAK style tool, I ditched the can opener and modified the bottle opener to incorporate a bit driver (Urban Driver). Back to the mini-tool, technically speaking, the only reason they were able to add both in the first place is because each secondary handle only had one main tool, with the other side being empty. This side is where the added the bottle and can opener. Since both sides of my secondary handles have a main tool on each side, there is no empty space in which to add such. When designing this, I knew I had to pick either: two main tools and be able to integrate another tool into the handle like they did the openers... or four main tools, disregarding tools integrated into the sides of the handles. It was an absolute no brainer for me, I went with the four main tools. I feel no loss for having gone this route. There was another initial idea that I came up with that was ditched early on. The main tools were outside of the secondary handles as opposed to the inside. It would have allowed for four main tools and up to four integrated handle tools. While this may sound good on paper, the secondary handles would have been very narrow, especially when compared to the much wider primary handles. The transition from a very wide gripping area to a very thin one just did not seem practical or comfortable. Hope all of that made sense.....

What a pleasure to follow such outstanding attention to detail and refined craftsmanship.  :cheers:
Thank you, windson..... :cheers: I have always taken pride in my attention to details.....

Evil, this tool is shaping up to be incredible.  I really admire your craftsmanship and how you very deliberately create each portion of your tools.  Hats off sir.   :salute:
Thank you, Mercury.....  :salute: Your description of being deliberate is spot on. Every little detail of this tool serves a purpose and has been done for a reason. It has all of the features that I want and none that I don't. It is a luxury of being able to create/modify tools to suit your needs.....

words fail me.  I was trying to explain just how amazing this tool is, but I cannot find adjectives with enough depth to describe it. I will tell you that if this was for sale right now, I would buy one.  (I really wish it was a model I could go buy)
Thank you for your kind words, detron. If I ever go into production.....

words fail me.  I was trying to explain just how amazing this tool is, but I cannot find adjectives with enough depth to describe it. I will tell you that if this was for sale right now, I would buy one.  (I really wish it was a model I could go buy)
Yeah this thing is beyond me to describe accurately as well :cheers: I love all the tools on it and am floorboard by the fact that I can't buy one of these :cry: Here's to the  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh !!!!SUPER-MINI!!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Thank you for your kind words as well, Poncho..... I know that we all have our different wants and needs in a tool and that they can differ greatly. I have been pondering building full-on custom multitools catered to each individual somewhere down the road if opportunity should ever present itself.....

Here you can see how I literally made each main tool as long as possible to waste no space. Even a millimeter longer and they would protrude from the handle ends. I had to design each tool so that the tip dropped enough to allow clearance to reach the nailnicks to deploy the handles. Rear left is the 2D 1/4" bit driver. Rear right are the scissors.....

Rear left is the awl. Rear right is the knife blade.....

Redesigned version. Belly removed, bottom edge made parallel to driver, aggressive jimping added for traction. Did more real world tests afterwards. This new version now suits my needs perfectly.....

Rough draft, in-progress photo of jimping on underside.....

Close-up view of the new 2D 1/4" bit driver.....

I've been going over all of the details of this tool with my heat treater (varieties of metals used, desired hardness, etc.) He is looking forward to partaking in this project. I am close to a stage where I need to work out little details of the build. However, I am also close to a point where I need to kick it down a notch on the totem pole of priorities as well. That is why I have been trying to get as much done while I can. I'll make the best of what time I can spare to try and complete this project.....
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 10:07:10 AM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
I like the added jimping to the driver as well :cheers: Let us know how the heat treat goes and when you finally get to use it let us know how you like it :tu:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
That is fantastic, Evil :tu: great work!
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

Seriously. Why wait? I'd gladly support mass production of this refined piece of steel art. I'll buy a mini or two, but this, this is beyond beautiful. I want one.  :rant:

us Offline evil510

I like the added jimping to the driver as well :cheers: Let us know how the heat treat goes and when you finally get to use it let us know how you like it :tu:
Thank you, Poncho. The added jimping eased any fear of the bit driver inadvertently folding up on me. Heat treater is ready when I am. Still trying to finalize designing the handles. At one point I contemplated a ruler of 9.5" inches, but I rarely use rulers on multitools, not for anything accurate anyway. Typically only for measuring wood and bolts etc when shopping. In recent years, I use my phone with measuring apps instead. So, in the end, I may end up keeping this tool on the simplistic side. The blade in particular, will also be cryo treated, so, I am looking forward to putting it to use. It is summertime now so my time for multitools and such are very limited. It'll get done eventually.....

That is fantastic, Evil :tu: great work!
Thank you, rdub.....   :salute:

Seriously. Why wait? I'd gladly support mass production of this refined piece of steel art. I'll buy a mini or two, but this, this is beyond beautiful. I want one.  :rant:
At some point in the future, I actually would like to get to a point where I can transform this part-time hobby into something a bit more serious.....
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Love to see some shots of it after the heat treat and in use :dd: :D

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
You can add the can and bottle openers in the handles...  :whistle:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

He said he didn't want to make it overly complicated :pok: :D

I think it is just right :dd:

us Offline evil510

Love to see some shots of it after the heat treat and in use :dd: :D
I'll be sure to try and do just that.....  :tu:

I actually found a little humor in this the first time that you had commented. The second time... not so much. I make the effort to be cordial and polite, especially to those that I do not know and vice versa. I try to thank each person personally rather than as a group and I try to give back by answering questions in depth, when possible. I took the time and effort to reply at length to your first comment, though it seems my words have fallen upon deaf ears and all for naught. I am not one to waste my time nor my words. You and I have no established rapport, so, feeling as if my first reply was disregarded by way of your second identical comment, I found this to be a bit disrespectful. With that said, this reply is the last one that I will put any time and effort into in regard to you. My apologies to the forum, it's a respect thing. Hope you all understand.....

He said he didn't want to make it overly complicated :pok: :D
I think it is just right :dd:
Thank you, Poncho. You and I have established rapport, joke at will..... :cheers:
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
I didn't remember that I just commented that, but if I did it was because I think it was an improvement.

I wrote my second comment from my mobile phone and the previous was nearly 3 week ago.

So YES, I REALIZE NOW it was my guilt not to remember that I previously commented the same.

It surprises me like an innocent comment, with good sense, but repeated, can be taken as an insult and more when people makes jokes here constantly, perhaps is that USA humor is different from the rest of the world...

Seriously in this forum I think many people is too susceptible.

Don't worry and don't care, for me, and from now, your posts are "forbidden zone"
I will not disturb you anymore
Have a nice day...

P.S.: It would had been enough with a "I gave you an answer about the same topic yet".

Enviado desde mi GT-I9060 mediante Tapatalk

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 05:43:09 PM by alexTOOL »

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Evil - you do some rather wonderful work sir  :salute:

I remember the Skeletool project from way back when, but this one is right up my street so to speak.
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline evil510

Evil - you do some rather wonderful work sir  :salute:

I remember the Skeletool project from way back when, but this one is right up my street so to speak.
Well, now there's a name that I have not seen in quite a few years. Thank you, Dave  :salute: I remember you well from back in the day. I left MTO for quite a few years myself. I finally completed that old Skeletool project after five years, lol. I hope that you have been doing well.....
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21