Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MacGyver 2016 TV Series - Which SAK?

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Re: MacGyver 2016 TV Series - Which SAK?
Reply #210 on: November 05, 2016, 06:46:44 AM
A MacGyver with NO SAK!

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #211 on: November 05, 2016, 09:28:03 AM
soon enough we'll have SAKs with no Mac
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #212 on: November 05, 2016, 03:45:48 PM
soon enough we'll have SAKs with no Mac

. . .  That's what she said?

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #213 on: November 05, 2016, 06:29:50 PM
Seems like the latest episode wasn't even partly sponsored by Victorinox... didn't even notice it in the closing credits...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #214 on: November 13, 2016, 02:41:22 AM
Seems like the latest episode wasn't even partly sponsored by Victorinox... didn't even notice it in the closing credits...

Not surprising as there wasn't a SAK used. The credits reflect what Victorinox provided for the episode. Also not surprising was not seeing MacGyver using a SAK with undercover prison inmate plot. That would have been much too incredulous.

John

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #215 on: November 13, 2016, 02:49:56 AM
Just watched the latest episode, "Corkscrew", which aired and was duly recorded on my TiVo last night. The Prologue used either a 3-layer with scissors, either a Climber or a Super Tinker. The bottom layer wasn't visible. Following the intro, MacGyver used a three layer Climber throughout. The lack of any model Tinker or Explorer is consistent with the episode title. This is interesting as the last episode in which there was a SAK (two episodes back), titled "Wrench" used only an Evolution S557, unlike all the episodes the preceded them that featured a multitude of SAKs.

Didn't require quite as much disbelief suspension as some prior ones. There was one scene in which he uses it as a throwing knife to impale a hydraulic hose which would be all but impossible for anyone to accomplish under the surrounding circumstances. There are other aspects that use impossible technologies, but that's common practice on TV and in the cinema.

John

hr Offline styx

Reply #216 on: November 13, 2016, 10:40:01 AM
Latest episode... well i couldn't really follow since that whole paperclip bending tends to get my bs radar going

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #217 on: November 13, 2016, 05:37:19 PM
Well, now we have seen Murdoc's first appearance in the show!

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #218 on: November 13, 2016, 06:02:15 PM
Well, now we have seen Murdoc's first appearance in the show!

They're also creating a larger story arc regarding Nikki to span the individual episodes.

John

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #219 on: November 13, 2016, 07:19:46 PM
Just watched the 1st episode. Good to see that he was not given an 100 strong support team, like they did with the knight rider reboot.

I may watch some more, but the weather is too nice for sitting inside.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #220 on: November 20, 2016, 02:37:39 AM
This week was entitled "Chisel" and MacGyver does indeed use a SAK as a chisel, albeit not the lower layer chisel, but the large screwdriver tip on the end of the cap lifter. SAK usage is minimal, occurring in only during one short segment that I spotted while watching it. I thought at first it might be a Super Tinker, but eventually saw the edge and realized it was four layers, not three. He eventually uses the pliers which confirms it's a Deluxe Tinker. Didn't appear to be using any other model, unlike some of the early episodes. As before, plenty of "Movie Physics". There's a factual scientific and technological basis underlying some of what he does, but how quickly he builds things, how he exploits the scientific first principles and the efficacy of what he builds severely stretches credulity. Don't try his stunts at home folks. Some of them could seriously hurt you, or worse. There are some other plot driven incredulities, but they're plot devices and without them, the plot wouldn't work. The level of disbelief suspension required is no more severe than the MI movie series though. Enjoyable provided there's zero expectation for it to be realistic and plausible.

John

hr Offline styx

Reply #221 on: November 20, 2016, 10:28:46 AM
I find myself nagging over the small things that have no sense and probably take me out of the "it's just a show" mindset

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #222 on: November 20, 2016, 12:03:45 PM
Why is it that angus and friends gets to keep their vests when embassy staff sacrificed theirs? :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #223 on: November 20, 2016, 12:24:37 PM
Why is it that angus and friends gets to keep their vests when embassy staff sacrificed theirs? :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

They're the ones who went outside . . . the question I had: Why didn't the embassy staff didn't get them back afterward? Just use the SAK and cut the duct tape!

hr Offline styx

Reply #224 on: November 20, 2016, 04:25:51 PM
What bugs me is since when can secret agents run in the open with a thigh holster and no one bats an eye? How do they even have justification with the local law enforcement if they don't coordinate in the first place?

Another thing is that even if your run of the mill cops can't help, there are counter terrorist units and in some cases special task units.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #225 on: November 20, 2016, 05:11:02 PM
I'm a secret agent and I walk the streets fully loaded, rocket launcher and all.
The thing is, I'm wearing camo so nobody notices.

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #226 on: November 21, 2016, 05:55:17 AM
What bugs me is since when can secret agents run in the open with a thigh holster and no one bats an eye? How do they even have justification with the local law enforcement if they don't coordinate in the first place?

Another thing is that even if your run of the mill cops can't help, there are counter terrorist units and in some cases special task units.

That's why suspension of disbelief is required. If it were completely realistic, there wouldn't be a plot or a show. If you've watched the Mission: Impossible film franchise, the Jason Bourne trilogy (from Ludlum's trilogy), or the James Bond franchise, the current MacGyver requires no more disbelief suspension than they do. Doesn't have any more "Movie Physics" either (possibly less). Some of it bugs me too, especially after a military career from which I know numerous aspects of it are completely bogus. If the BS Detector is successfully turned off I can get through the shows just fine.

John

hr Offline styx

Reply #227 on: November 21, 2016, 06:37:57 PM
actually I couldn't get halfway through the first M:I, I've considered Bond to be Hobbit level fantasy so guess that explains why I can watch those movies. Bourne  has a lot of those "Just shoot him for smurf's sake!!" but not so close to this. Even Burn notice is more realistic

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #228 on: November 22, 2016, 10:07:39 AM
This week's MacGyver will be a rerun . . . very typical for Thanksgiving week . . . unless there's a special Thanksgiving episode which used to be more common.  I believe it will be episode #2. May not see the pilot rerun until this Summer.

John

my Offline Everdying

Reply #229 on: November 23, 2016, 12:40:29 PM
if the casts of Scorpions was replaced by the casts of MacGyver... then we may possibly see a hit series.

Offline Wunderaj

Reply #230 on: January 21, 2017, 01:05:09 AM
so as im watching it seems he favors the S557. its been in what looks like multiple episodes. which makes sense as it has almost all the tools.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #231 on: January 21, 2017, 01:50:22 AM
A MacGyver reboot?  Do you think devotees of the original series are likely to enjoy this new series?

I was late to find out about this series since I wasn't watching much TV that wasn't sports or news in the mid-80s.  It wasn't until a family gathering where my little nephew was raving about a TV program he kept calling MaDriver that I asked around and was told it was a program about a guy who uses his wits and ingenuity to solve problems.  I watched one program and was hooked.

My problem is that I will always associate Richard Dean Anderson with this role.  Any recommendations whether to check it out or give it a pass?

Thanks!

Jim
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 01:51:28 AM by NorCalJim »

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #232 on: January 21, 2017, 02:21:25 AM
A MacGyver reboot?  Do you think devotees of the original series are likely to enjoy this new series?

I was late to find out about this series since I wasn't watching much TV that wasn't sports or news in the mid-80s.  It wasn't until a family gathering where my little nephew was raving about a TV program he kept calling MaDriver that I asked around and was told it was a program about a guy who uses his wits and ingenuity to solve problems.  I watched one program and was hooked.

My problem is that I will always associate Richard Dean Anderson with this role.  Any recommendations whether to check it out or give it a pass?

Thanks!

Jim

I honestly tried to give this reboot a fair chance, suffered through the first 11 episodes... I really tried to find something to like, but after the last just had enough.
This is NOT and will NEVER be MacGyver, period. The only thing in common with the original is the name, and the fact the main character uses s sak (over-uses is more the term). It has almost nothing to do with the Macgyver spirit of the show and with who Macgyver was, his character, integrity and values. It just laks soul and meening.
This is just like watching CSI, NCIS, Criminal Minds, or Mission Impossible, or any of the same format. The only difference is that the main character uses a sak instead of a gun.
Maybe it will catch on with the newer audiences, but for me... naahh... I'd rather watch the whole 7 seasons of the original again for the 10th time or so...  :D
And lastly... Mac will always be RDA! :salute:

I know i'm being quite harsh on this reboot, i tried hard to like it, honest.... Just had enough of it!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 02:38:10 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #233 on: January 21, 2017, 04:35:13 AM

Thanks!

Jim

I honestly tried to give this reboot a fair chance, suffered through the first 11 episodes... I really tried to find something to like, but after the last just had enough.
This is NOT and will NEVER be MacGyver, period. The only thing in common with the original is the name, and the fact the main character uses s sak (over-uses is more the term). It has almost nothing to do with the Macgyver spirit of the show and with who Macgyver was, his character, integrity and values. It just laks soul and meening.
This is just like watching CSI, NCIS, Criminal Minds, or Mission Impossible, or any of the same format. The only difference is that the main character uses a sak instead of a gun.
Maybe it will catch on with the newer audiences, but for me... naahh... I'd rather watch the whole 7 seasons of the original again for the 10th time or so...  :D

I know i'm being quite harsh on this reboot, i tried hard to like it, honest.... Just had enough of it!

Many thanks for your opinion!  I saw the trailer after encountering this thread and immediately couldn't identify with the main character.  I agree that Mac = RDA
You answered my question about checking this out or passing on it when you said that it has nothing to do with the MacGyver spirit, his character, his integrity and his values.  I'll pass!

us Offline rivercity

Reply #234 on: January 21, 2017, 08:41:00 AM

I was a huge fan of the original, and had high hopes for this one. A lot of what you stated mirrors my views as well.

RDA is said to have gotten the role of Mac, after pausing to retrieve his glasses from his satchel at a casting call. Winkler is said to have seen this as a very human gesture.
Chuck

"Well, when it comes down to me against a situation, I don't like the situation to win." ~ MacGyver

hr Offline styx

Reply #235 on: January 21, 2017, 01:59:23 PM
it's fun to see passionate fans

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #236 on: January 21, 2017, 04:05:58 PM

I was a huge fan of the original, and had high hopes for this one. A lot of what you stated mirrors my views as well.

RDA is said to have gotten the role of Mac, after pausing to retrieve his glasses from his satchel at a casting call. Winkler is said to have seen this as a very human gesture.

Yes, i think that sums up most of RDA's personality, and the part of it he has put in the Macgyver character. He did a lot of those "pauses" on the show like when he forgot something or had an idea, and always in a very flowing and natural way.
Apart from everything else and the brilliant acting performance he has put in the character through out the show, what i think makes almost impossible to people and fans to associate Macgyver with any other actor is that Macgyver has a lot of RDA's personality in it, a lot of who he is as a person. The athletic, fitness, outdoor's activities, hockey playing, skying, car racing,envolvment in envoirementalist issues, animal issues, human right's issues Macgyver did and was envolved with on the show are all things that RDA has been and still is (to a degree) envolved with. It's also a big pair of shoes for any other actor to step in and try and do that job properly.

On a side note (just to lighten up the subject a bit  ;))
If i had to sum up my all time favourit scene (or snapshot) in Macgyver, that got me hooked on that first episode and consequently to the rest of the show, this have to be it:  :D

Mac's Tinker.jpg
* Mac's Tinker.jpg (Filesize: 53.03 KB)
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #237 on: January 21, 2017, 07:40:25 PM
@MacGyver - I remember that episode/pic of him sticking the sak into the side of the cage so that guy could use it to free himself.

I watched the new show and do agree with alot of what is said but I do think the show has potential to be a decent show if they do some changes to it.  IMO.

First of all part of the old MacGyver shows that I liked is that he had to look around to see what was available to use to get himself out of a situation where as the new show there is none of this, he just starts doing/using whatever he needs to get out of trouble like he already knows whats there around him.  Second, the Jack guy has never been that tough of a guy like in the new show as he was always just getting Mac into trouble or situations so not sure about that.  Maybe they should have added the tough guy persona to shadow/help Mac of assignments but also had a Jack that was his friend/buddy that just did things with him.  IDK. Just a thought!

I always like the MacGyver vs Murdock episodes to see what kinda traps/contraptions Murdock uses so that will be interesting to see where that goes on the new show and hopefully they will use the Murdock character a few more times this season.

Anyway, time will tell as the show goes on to see what direction it goes in.  To me it is okay but could be better if it was more taylored/made up like to the old show but obviously need to figure in technology now.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #238 on: January 22, 2017, 01:48:46 PM

I always like the MacGyver vs Murdock episodes to see what kinda traps/contraptions Murdock uses so that will be interesting to see where that goes on the new show and hopefully they will use the Murdock character a few more times this season.

The episode when the new Murdoc made his appearance on the reboot, it was the only episode i kind of liked and got mildly excited about. Maybe it was the nostalgy of the character, but the actor playing the new Murdoc is very good IMHO, not as good as the original tho, but probably the best of all the other "new/old" character's on this reboot so far.
It only lacked the "Mac-gy-vaaaaa" at the end   :rofl:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 01:50:57 PM by MacGyver »

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #239 on: January 22, 2017, 02:25:44 PM
I think Mac would benefit from a Spirit. Also I tell people to put their brains away and enjoy the show for what it is.  :whistle:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD