Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knife Rules at Va. Community Colleges?

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Knife Rules at Va. Community Colleges?
on: August 29, 2016, 01:29:25 AM
Since the college here in my own town, which I attended online does not offer engineering, I decided to transfer to a community college. I start day after tomorrow.   I've read the handbook, which doesn't mention knife carry specifically, only firearms are banned.   I plan to carry nothing bigger than a Medium Stockman, but I figure something like a Classic or Rally as well.   Eventually, a full-size pliers based too might be handy, since I'm currently in the mechatronics program, which is assembly line maintenance as a start.

Are there any rules against carrying them on campus?

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: Knife Rules at Va. Community Colleges?
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 06:46:38 PM
Since the college here in my own town, which I attended online does not offer engineering, I decided to transfer to a community college. I start day after tomorrow.   I've read the handbook, which doesn't mention knife carry specifically, only firearms are banned.   I plan to carry nothing bigger than a Medium Stockman, but I figure something like a Classic or Rally as well.   Eventually, a full-size pliers based too might be handy, since I'm currently in the mechatronics program, which is assembly line maintenance as a start.

Are there any rules against carrying them on campus?
Unless you tell us which college you are going to (which I recommend against) I don't think we can be much help. Obviously, you should follow all state laws and city regulations (often they are more restrictive than state law) in the areas you will be in. Then, call the Campus Police/Security Dept. and ask. Most likely they will be able to tell you, or at least point you in the right direction. Honestly though, as long as you aren't waving it around like a nutter, and using it responsibly, I doubt anyone would care about a medium Stockman, much less a Classic.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 06:53:55 PM
I think some of our college members called campus security/police and asked what was legal,  I think that would be best.   If you end up carry what they say is legal and someone on campus see you using it then calls campus security/police you wont have to worry one bit. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline getahl

Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 07:29:29 PM
I think some of our college members called campus security/police and asked what was legal,  I think that would be best.   If you end up carry what they say is legal and someone on campus see you using it then calls campus security/police you wont have to worry one bit.
+1, maybe even ask for recommendations from whomever the supervisor may be, and ask for and retain their contact information, in case you need to reference it, should you actually be cited by campus police.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 07:40:02 PM
+1, maybe even ask for recommendations from whomever the supervisor may be, and ask for and retain their contact information, in case you need to reference it, should you actually be cited by campus police.

:like:

Very good advice. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 07:49:36 PM

:like:

Very good advice.

^  This 

us Offline cody6268

Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 09:41:42 PM
Thanks everyone.   My first day is tommorrow, so I'll go directly to the security office and ask if I have the time.

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 01:33:45 AM
You know you are old when you read  a post on this topic and just scratch  your head ( Right Carl  ?)

us Offline getahl

Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 03:55:13 PM
It's been a hair over a decade since I exited University and grad school, both of which predate my obsession with gadgets and gear. The knives I had at the time were a 4 inch CS Voyager tanto, and  Crkt M16 (3-1/4 inch blade, liner lock, partially serrated). When I did carry them, which wasn't often, I just threw them in my pocket. Didn't really think about campus laws. It was only after I started hanging out here, and on Bladeforums, that I even started thinking about the legality of the knives I owned. Nowadays, I have a good understanding of knife laws in my home state of California, and a decent grasp of laws in various places. Almost every other knife law thread on BF has somebody saying "when/where I grew up, everyone had a Buck 110 on their hip, and a gun rack in their truck, and we turned out OK". That's not the world we live in anymore, and I chuckle everytime I read a line like this.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 05:20:48 PM
Thanks everyone.   My first day is tommorrow, so I'll go directly to the security office and ask if I have the time.
Good luck :cheers:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline cody6268

Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 01:22:40 AM
Didn't even have to go to the security office.  I'm in the mechatronics program.  In the classroom, there's a small demonstrator assembly line.  Something went wrong with it, and guess what the instructor pulls out--an Economy-scaled Vic Tinker!    Of course, three quarters of the class was laid off coal miners in their fifties, so they likely wouldn't have a problem with me using a knife if needed. I carried my MiniChamp today anyway, but didn't pull it out during college.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%