Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiza - Long term thoughts?

us Offline rivercity

Swiza - Long term thoughts?
on: August 09, 2016, 11:43:34 AM
Ive seen these knives out for a while, and have read mixed reviews. But I havent seen anything recently about how they have been holding up under use.

Has anybody got any long term usage with the Swiza knives?

Thanks in advance!  :cheers:
Chuck

"Well, when it comes down to me against a situation, I don't like the situation to win." ~ MacGyver

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Swiza - Long term thoughts?
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 04:05:11 PM
What's that I can hear? Sounds like a can of worms being opened  :D
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

fr Offline Gee.B

Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 04:09:11 PM
Never owned one. I think they look very modern and very nice. Wonder when they'll be bought by Victorinox though :)

Gee (from mobile)

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 04:43:32 PM
Im not sure if anyone who got one bothered to carry one long term.
Etherealicer tested a couple quite hard, and they failed. The opener layer was the problem, chipping under pressure. (Vic handled it fine). Also the opener layer made it uncomfortable to use.

I carried my D02 for a while. (The one layered one, knife, awl, phillips) it performed OK.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 05:23:04 PM
A great big flash in the pan IMO. Probably an ok knife if you've never owned a real SAK to compare it to...certainly not the "Evolution of the Swiss Army Knife" as it was advertised to be.  ::)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 05:29:35 PM
Now granted I can be a bit picky, even called a snob, when it comes to watches.

But the 88 models that Swiza have launched are uninspiring, generic and a throw back to the "swiss army" watches of 20 years ago.

Not seeing a future here to be honest  :think:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 05:32:32 PM
Optimized beings stop evolving, according to theory. They evolve again when enviroment changes. The SAK will need to change when people change (for example, the size or shape of our hands) and that is going to happen so slowly it will not be evident for some myriads of years in the future.

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 12:53:06 PM
I think they have potential.  The current models can't match Victorinox (or even the Sanrenmu-made Boker tech tools) but they have some good points to build on.  The main blade is good and I like the handle material.  I hope they will sell enough to fund development of a next generation.  What I'd put on their to-do list is:
  • tougher steel for the openers
  • non-locking blade for wider legal compliance
  • less crap phillips screwdriver
  • scissors
Then they'd have something.

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 05:53:19 AM
I was really surprised to see that The Knife Connection and DLT Trading carry Swiza:
http://www.dlttrading.com/brands/Swiza.html
https://www.theknifeconnection.net/swiza/

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 09:40:08 PM
I guess I just don't understand a company trying to reinvent the wheel. I mean, not only is Victorinox the gold standard, but they are such a giant in the field, it's like trying to invent a cheap but good writing ball point pen to compete with the Bic. Kind of a exercise in futile gestures.

I can't see them being around n a few years unless Swiza likes selling stuff at a loss. I think they will just fade away from the pocket knife scene.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline rivercity

Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 09:55:24 PM
Thanks guys, thats kinda what I was thinking. Ill wait to pick up a used one on ebay someday.....lol  :cheers:
Chuck

"Well, when it comes down to me against a situation, I don't like the situation to win." ~ MacGyver

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 10:18:52 PM
I guess I just don't understand a company trying to reinvent the wheel. I mean, not only is Victorinox the gold standard, but they are such a giant in the field, it's like trying to invent a cheap but good writing ball point pen to compete with the Bic. Kind of a exercise in futile gestures.

I can't see them being around n a few years unless Swiza likes selling stuff at a loss. I think they will just fade away from the pocket knife scene.

Actually I prefer Papermate pens to Bic..... ;)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 10:33:34 PM

As long as it's not a fine tip then we can still be friends. ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 11:53:01 PM

:) always medium. I can't stand fine tip pens......
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 12:45:25 AM

And blue...gotta be blue ink!!!!  :ahhh
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 12:47:10 AM
It's a head scratcher as to why they thought they'd be succesful.  Its like reinventing the wheel and making it an oval....
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 06:03:57 AM
A great big flash in the pan IMO. Probably an ok knife if you've never owned a real SAK to compare it to...certainly not the "Evolution of the Swiss Army Knife" as it was advertised to be.  ::)

"Evolution of the Swiss Army Knife"  :think:
I'd say Vic linerlock 111mm are the evolution of the standard sak. Tougher and ergonomic scales, locking larger flathead for prying, longer, broader, oho and locking blade, longer saw, etc.
Especially the duo models, or the Rescue Tool, with two oho blades etc.
Arguably, there's still room for improvement, but it's definitely a neat design, which is why several countries have adopted it for their military forces.

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 06:28:32 AM

"Evolution of the Swiss Army Knife"  :think:
I'd say Vic linerlock 111mm are the evolution of the standard sak. Tougher and ergonomic scales, locking larger flathead for prying, longer, broader, oho and locking blade, longer saw, etc.
Especially the duo models, or the Rescue Tool, with two oho blades etc.
Arguably, there's still room for improvement, but it's definitely a neat design, which is why several countries have adopted it for their military forces.

I'm no historian but also feel the OH blade really evolved the SAK, since those types of blades had come about only over the last...maybe 3 or 4 decades? After the 91mm SAK was already around.
I also appreciate nylon as the standard scale material.

My current fantasy custom 111mm is a Workchamp with OH partially serrated blade and blue scales. No (easy) way to gen an IL awl on there tho....

RE: locking larger flathead, this is only on the liner lock OH blade knives with the larger pins right? My Outrider cap lifter looks identical to 91mm, is the larger one similar to 93mm Alox caplifter?

-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 09:43:11 AM

I knew there was a reason we were friends. :D

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 12, 2016, 09:08:55 PM

What's your guys' favorite size of mechanical pencil lead?
-JJL

nl Offline spydutch

Reply #20 on: August 13, 2016, 10:11:25 AM
They sell for around 30 to 40 euro's over here.
After reading all this I'll rather spend that money on a nice black Pioneer or one handed Soldier (one handed trekker)  :tu:

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #21 on: August 13, 2016, 03:20:15 PM
I was thinking of buying one (out of curiosity) until I saw the prices. Actually I like their design, it's like a SAK facelift/refresh. But $40 for a knife comparable to a Tinker that can be found for a half of that price? Nope, sorry. For me, in the SAK world, Victorinox is a golden standard in every way possible - quality/fit&finish, price, warranty, model variety... They can't be beat and it's not gonna change any time soon, I think.

us Offline rivercity

Reply #22 on: August 13, 2016, 03:39:21 PM
I was thinking of buying one (out of curiosity) until I saw the prices. Actually I like their design, it's like a SAK facelift/refresh. But $40 for a knife comparable to a Tinker that can be found for a half of that price? Nope, sorry. For me, in the SAK world, Victorinox is a golden standard in every way possible - quality/fit&finish, price, warranty, model variety... They can't be beat and it's not gonna change any time soon, I think.

Thats where Im at. If I can pick up a used one for 10 bucks or less, I will grab one. Past that, nope.....  :cheers:
Chuck

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: August 15, 2016, 12:05:15 PM
If 10 days qualify: Swiza D04 - thoughts after 10 days of use

my verdict is: Don't bother
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Offline shecky

Reply #24 on: September 09, 2016, 10:43:59 PM
Decided to give the newcomer a try. I've been carrying a D04. I'm finding a lot to like about the knife. Construction is as solid as any Vic or Wenger. Spring on the can opener is softer than a typical SAK. The can opener cutting edge is sharpened more than the typical SAK, more than it needs to be, really. As a result, I found it had a small tendency to shave small slivers of steel from the rolled edge of a can when used. I think the Vic can opener works better, but it's pretty close, and works in a similar way. Cap lifter blade works OK. It tapers to a fairly thin screwdriver edge. Highly polished like a Vic. It seems to have a similar tang to a Vic cap lifter, which I think is to aid in keeping it securely open. The awl is a nice design, with a fairly sharp edge. I think it's a bit stubbier than I would like it to be, but it'll suffice. The Phillips is nicely formed and seems to fit well, at least as good as any back Phillips on a SAK. The tweezers are simple, two blades spot welded together. The beveled and ground ends meet up nicely.

The blade is pretty nice,  with a thin cross section profile, tapering gently toward the tip. It's an old school liner lock, similar to the Vic One Hand openers, in that the liner doesn't wedge against the blade tang. It simply blocks the tang. As a result, there is a tiny bit of play. The knife would be a fine slipjoint if the liner were eliminated. Disengaging the lock is elegantly done, without protrusions or cutouts usually associated with liner locks. Someone not familiar with the knife might find it baffling. I do like the hole nail nick. The stamped recess and logo I think look quite nice. I think I saw the steel advertised as 440A, feels about right, about the same as Vic's stainless.

All tools have a nice snap. Backsprings rate about 5 on a scale of 1-10, the spring for the can opener maybe a 4. Still exhibiting good snap, however. The rubbery scales are a nice departure from traditional SAKs. It'll be interesting to see how well they hold out at the cross/blade release button. I'm also a bit curious to see how well they hold up to solvents. The plastic they used reminds me of similar rubbery plastics that have not held up to solvents, or even exposure to the elements, ending up tacky to the touch, a condition that I've not found solvable in the long term. Hopefully, they were wiser about the plastic they used for these handles. I think I'll be testing these scales out with different solvents, and also sitting all day in the sun.

I like it enough that I'm keeping it in circulation for at least a while. Compared to a SAK, it is pricier, though it certainly won't break the bank. And it's a nice variation of the scout knife that Vic/Wenger doesn't offer. I hope the company does well with these knives and brings out more of their distinctive products.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #25 on: September 10, 2016, 12:44:16 AM

What's your guys' favorite size of mechanical pencil lead?

I gotta weigh in to this derail...
Parker pens for me, or at least pens that take a Parker refill. Prefer the blue gel ink but have worked in positions where only black ink is allowed.
Yes medium point, fine makes my writing look like the tracks of a spider that's had one too many of whatever it is that spiders have on a night out.

Pencil... that's a whole different kettle of fish, ideally a 0.5 in 2H and a 0.9 in HB but I can survive on just the 0.9 or 1.0 mm HB.  0.7 mm is just "wrong" it's like a reverse Goldilocks size. Too skinny AND too fat at the same time.

Mind you, I wouldn't mind an old skool Staedtler Mars Technico clutch pencil.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: September 10, 2016, 12:51:43 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience shecty. :tu:

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #27 on: September 10, 2016, 02:04:31 PM
Great review Shecky, and I agree with all your observations, except about the Phillips driver.  The Swiza one sucks badly.  It's too pointed, and the taper of the thickness of the wings is not acute enough.  The Vic back-side Phillips is pretty usable on all the screws shown below, even the PZ3, but I find the Swiza one cams out much too easily on all of them.
back-phillips-01.jpg
* back-phillips-01.jpg (Filesize: 54.23 KB)
back-phillips-02.jpg
* back-phillips-02.jpg (Filesize: 98.69 KB)
back-phillips-03.jpg
* back-phillips-03.jpg (Filesize: 105.99 KB)

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: September 10, 2016, 08:03:51 PM
From the look of it, the swiza phillips doesn't fit anything...maybe you have to buy special swiza compatible screws... :P
-JJL

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #29 on: September 10, 2016, 10:31:21 PM
I was going to suggest that it was a Posidrive....but your PZ3 photo clearly shows a Posidrive screw

...I guess that's why they are labeled PZ  ;)

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:33:07 PM by Spork, Lord of Lime Jello! »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD