Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool spirit....convince me!

Offline ronin83

Swisstool spirit....convince me!
on: August 11, 2016, 11:46:54 PM
Hi, i'm new here.
So been looking at my options for a multi tool(camping, fixing stuff, some work - multi use!) and most people say the swisstools are better quality than leatherman equivalents, but i'm put off by the lack of removeable driver bits and replaceable wire cutter blades(which are an option with leatherman surge for example). To acheive this kind of versatility with victorinox i'd have to get the plus version with the ratchet and bits set, quite a bulky/heavy compromise and essentially a separate tool altogether.
Another concern is the options all mean missing out on either scissors, serrated knife or normal knife. Which one to drop?
I'd like to go victorinox, but need convincing that the quality is worth what i think i'm losing in other areas.

us Offline Swiss Guy

Re: Swisstool spirit....convince me!
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 02:00:20 AM
I have the Swisstool Spirit, Leatherman Charge Ti, Charge TTi and Wave. You cannot go wrong with any of those models. I know this probably doesn't help much, but I use them all. I use my Charge TTi the most because of the one hand opening blade and the bit drivers. Plus, the handles have a better grip than the Swisstool Spirit. Ideally, you should get all of them but just get the one you want and you will be happy with your purchase, even though you will probably still feel compelled to get the others in the future.
The right tool is the one you have on you

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 02:05:25 AM
I also have A TTi, a Wave, and a Spirit.

I love all three, and any one is a great tool to have.
the wave and charge are great, and have OHO blades.

the spirit has all tools accessible from the outside, and the fit and finish is the Victorinox excellence you find on SAKs.

to me the spirit seems to have tighter engineering tolerances  (seems that every piece moves with the same resistance, the pliers always lock at the same point, just feels perfect.  if my spirit had a pocket clip, it would be carried more than the wave or charge, but I still carry it a fair amount
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 02:14:00 AM
Sounds like you want replaceable wire cutters, a bit driver, and scissors + PE blade + serrated blade. That sounds like a Surge to me. If you're worried about quality, try to handle one in a store first, or buy locally so it's easy to exchange if you get a bad one. LM can make just as good a tool as Victorinox, but Victorinox QC is better — so they're good more consistently. I think the Surge and SwissTool (regular one, not the Spirit) can stand toe-to-toe, but you've got specific things in mind that Victorinox doesn't deliver (at least not all together), so why not get the tool that has what you need? The Spirit is just about perfect, from a design and manufacturing perspective, but there are still plenty of days where I carry the Wave because of the two blades, OHO, and bit driver.

If you do get a Spirit, get the butter blade version and also a Compact. Carry the Compact in your pocket every day, and keep the Spirit + bit kit in your bag / car / toolbox. It's all moot anyway, because soon you will have a Surge, Rebar, Spirit, SwissTool, PowerLock, MP600, couple dozen SAKs . . . :D

Welcome to :MTO:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 02:15:54 AM by metasyntax »
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 02:26:17 AM
 :whistle:
DSCN6956.JPG
* DSCN6956.JPG (Filesize: 202.17 KB)
DSCN6957.JPG
* DSCN6957.JPG (Filesize: 192.91 KB)
DSCN6959.JPG
* DSCN6959.JPG (Filesize: 195.79 KB)
DSCN6958.JPG
* DSCN6958.JPG (Filesize: 198.79 KB)
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 03:24:48 AM
The Spirit convinces itself, get one and see, you will not be disappointed.  :salute:

id Offline classicrock

• With every mistake we must surely be learning
Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 03:33:40 AM
Used to have three of them, Wave, Charge TTi and Spirit.

The Wave and Charge TTi were my first plier based MT. I like the one hand opening blade. But I hate when my palm get pinched when I used the plier. I do appreciate the easy replaceable bit kit system, but they don't work on recessed screw.

Then I bought the Spirit almost two years ago. I must admit I love the Spirit. This Swiss thing far more comfortable to carry and use, and it works better on electrical stuff in my opinion. Today I keep switching between my Spirit and my Yeoman Mechanic as my EDC. My friends said, once you go Spirit you'll never go back, and I admit it.

Sent from my SM-J500G using Tapatalk

-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-

id Offline classicrock

• With every mistake we must surely be learning
Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 03:37:13 AM
Aaah this thread need more photos of course.

-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 04:11:38 AM
Aaah this thread need more photos of course.

(Image removed from quote.)

Where's the RT and BO versions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 06:39:19 AM
I'd say the Surge would be hard to beat when you mention items like replaceable wire cutters, PE and serrated blades, not to mention replaceable bits like file and saw or driver bits. 

Keep in mind you'd still have to carry those items even with the Surge.  T shank blades take up little space as do the LM flat bits but you'd still have to tote them around.

The Spirit has a wonderful selection of tools on board and yes the quality is first rate.  I am also a huge fan of the "butter" blade.  What a wicked slicer and nice shape for a MT blade. 

The Wave would be a nice alternative to the Sprirt as you still get both PE and SE blades.  You also get bit driver but no replaceable wire cutters. 

If it were me, I'd go with the larger Surge and add a few t shank saw blades and a few commonly used bits.  Its a beast and totally worth it. 

Being a true MTOer I do have to say, you cannot go wrong unless certain items are deal breakers.  If the replaceable cutters are a priority for example.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 09:26:02 AM
Buy a Spirit or the cat gets it!
P1100821.JPG
* P1100821.JPG (Filesize: 165.61 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 09:38:19 AM
The cat is safe, I was speaking metaphorically, of course.  If you do buy a Spirit I think you will like it.  It is light enough to carry comfortably and has an excellent tool set.  My own preference is for the spirit with the "butterknife" blade and scissors when carried with another knife for most of the cutting tasks.
P1100898.JPG
* P1100898.JPG (Filesize: 199.72 KB)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 09:39:21 AM by Alan K. »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 09:48:14 AM
You just have to hear it sound like a siren, "cling", "cling", "cling". Then you, most probably, will not be asking us anymore.

Offline ronin83

Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 10:20:42 AM
Wow thanks so much guys. Didn't expect a reply so soon, let alone so many!
metasyntax that's not a bad idea to carry a small edc, especially in uk as we aren't really allowed to carry a blade over 3inch or a lockable blade without a VERY good reason.

I'm trying to find places near me which stock both.
If i go leatherman it's surge all the way cos either way i can't edc it really without risk.
I think whatever i get I'll want tge other haha

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 10:31:48 AM
I can only offer my experience with the Spirit. I won one here in a GAW a couple of years back. I can't fault it at all. Working where I do I have a lot of small DIY'ish jobs on a daily basis and the Spirit has coped with it all - I rarely need to take another tool out with me. Aside from the excellent array of tools, the fit and finish is perfect. As other posters have mentioned, all the tools are accessible from the outside, the handles are comfortable in use and the crowning glory for me is the butter blade. I wish it was available in a stock 91mm frame - it's so useful.

Here's a pic to seduce you to the dark side:
WP_20160810_022 by magpie2112, on Flickr
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 10:40:18 AM
Love the long reach of the phillips on the Spirit. Fixed a bathroom fixture with it once, where the 91mm inline phillips couldn't reach...

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 12:06:16 PM
Some more convincing:
WP_20160812_008 by magpie2112, on FlickrWP_20160812_010 by magpie2112, on FlickrWP_20160812_013 by magpie2112, on Flickr

Offline ronin83

Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 12:36:15 PM
Some more convincing:
WP_20160812_008 by magpie2112, on FlickrWP_20160812_010 by magpie2112, on FlickrWP_20160812_013 by magpie2112, on Flickr

So u can put a bit holder on one of the flat heads then?
Is it a specific vic one?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 12:41:19 PM
It's a generic bit holder - I inserted a curl of thin plastic (cut from a drill bit tube) into the square profiled hole and it's fits perfectly on the philips tool.
WP_20160812_016 by magpie2112, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 12:46:11 PM by magentus »

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #19 on: August 12, 2016, 01:17:09 PM
Some more convincing:

It's a shame they don't put the shield on the plier heads any more, it looks great.

Offline ronin83

Reply #20 on: August 12, 2016, 01:35:02 PM
I don't have long nails. I guess they tools come out pretty easy and smooth anyway tho.
Nice pics.
Gonna see if i can find one to play with this weekend

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #21 on: August 12, 2016, 01:55:01 PM
+1....that and the awesome lifetime warranty!!
The Spirit convinces itself, get one and see, you will not be disappointed.  :salute:
Barry

fr Offline Gee.B

Reply #22 on: August 12, 2016, 02:19:00 PM
Well i have been using my Spirit X since 2009 about twice a week.  It came with the pipe shape key and the various screw heads as well as a corkscrew and a leather pouch.  I really love it. Would never buy a Leatherman after that even if i franckly never owned any. I'm actually thinking about buying a second one that i would just leave in the car just in case

</Gee via Tapatalk>

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 12, 2016, 05:48:25 PM
It all depends on what you want most. Removable cutters or outside accessible tools. I personally prefer the Wave cutters over the Rebars, and with the spirit you get all outside accessible tools which is sweeeeeeeeet. I realized I rarely needed removable bits. So I didn't need the flat bits from the wave that often. Also the surge is much larger and heavier than the spirit. I took a few comparison shots of the spirit plus package vs a wave with bits package

As you can see the amount of bulk is the same when comparing the two. You get more bits with Leatherman but better "coverage" with Victorinox. Also the surge will be larger than the wave so if comparing the two the spirit is actually more compact. The ratchet (or L wrench if you have it) is nice to have separate especially if you need pliers and a driver at the same time. If you really NEED replaceable cutters, removable bits, and oho blades then the surge is the way to go. But otherwise get a Spirit. It really is one of the best tools out there. I have the X model but I also tend to carry a folder so I have a Spyderco Native Serrated to pair with it so all my bases are covered

Good luck. And if all else fails....get both :rofl:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 05:51:36 PM by Demel »
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

Offline ronin83

Reply #24 on: August 12, 2016, 06:19:34 PM
Nice.
I can see that actually the spirit with all the gear is no bulkier than the surge with bits.
Think I'm gonna go spirit, carry a small edc fella and possibly look at some knives too.
I counted out the bigger swisstool x cos of the harsh edges on the plier handles and i don't see much advantage over the spirit.

fr Offline Gee.B

Reply #25 on: August 12, 2016, 06:31:55 PM
Oh I realize the one I got is the Plus not the X but it came with a leather pouch not a nylon one.  Yup the pliers handles are very comfortable which,  if i'm right,  is one common argument over the Leatherman.  https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B000MLSC2K/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_PKFRxbSD3Z4JB

</Gee via Tapatalk>

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #26 on: August 12, 2016, 06:32:53 PM
Nice.
I can see that actually the spirit with all the gear is no bulkier than the surge with bits.
Think I'm gonna go spirit, carry a small edc fella and possibly look at some knives too.
I counted out the bigger swisstool x cos of the harsh edges on the plier handles and i don't see much advantage over the spirit.
A friend lent me his Swisstool (the version without the scissors) a while back and did some comparison. One thing I noticed was although the Spirit wood saw was shorter, the Swisstool's is thinner. Plus the Spirit is way more comfortable in the hand.

Am glad I went with the Spirit instead of the Swisstool...

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #27 on: August 12, 2016, 07:08:27 PM
A friend lent me his Swisstool (the version without the scissors) a while back and did some comparison. One thing I noticed was although the Spirit wood saw was shorter, the Swisstool's is thinner.

Thinner is usually better for a saw - a thin saw removes less wood so cuts with less effort.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #28 on: August 12, 2016, 07:09:59 PM
A friend lent me his Swisstool (the version without the scissors) a while back and did some comparison. One thing I noticed was although the Spirit wood saw was shorter, the Swisstool's is thinner.

Thinner is usually better for a saw - a thin saw removes less wood so cuts with less effort.
Correct :cheers:

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #29 on: August 12, 2016, 07:19:46 PM
  Surge weight too smurfin much. By the end of the day your belt is sagging to one side. But... if you want replaceable wire cutters that mean getting a Rebar. Yet, if you are like a lot of us, we prefer the Charge model for the grip and comfort when working in the hot sun or in wet conditions - the titanium scales do make a distinctive difference. So you'd end up violating the warranty to get what you want by pulling (at least) the pliers out of the Rebar to put into the Charge to get what you want. However the pliers probably won't close in the tool without some modification to the scissors. So you could remove the scissors and put in the Rebar's awl too, though you'd have to modify the awl to fit - is easy with a Dremel.

Never owned a Swisstool or Spirit. The handles on them look bent.  The scissors, dude. :ahhh Only way I'd own a Vic Swiss Thing is if someone gave me one. They look too odd, like a left-handed Volkswagen or something. :rofl:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 07:21:06 PM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%