Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Legalities of EDC SAK

Offline ronin83

Legalities of EDC SAK
on: August 14, 2016, 10:42:43 PM
So, most SAKs it seems are edc friendly even here in stabby old England(we have a stabby kids with knives issue).
What are peoples experiences with particularly delicate situations though?
How about carrying on person when flying on holiday? In the airport, going through customs, the other end?
Gigs, festivals?

Are any countries a big no no? I mean being charged would suck big time, but having one confiscated would be irritating too.
Iv'e just ordered a nice basic Tinker and i'm wondering if i should take it to thailand with me, but all stories are welcome.

fr Offline Gee.B

Re: Legalities of EDC SAK
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 11:18:38 PM
I'm French,   currently in Vienna, Austria.  I had my Harvester delivered to France because i knew i wouldn't be able to have ir on the plane.  I'll get it tomorrow when I am home.

Been like that since 9/11

Besides France and many European countries currently are on high vigilance level because of terrorism so i reckon you wouldn't be allowed a SAK in concerts or in any festivals

For instance public broadcast of the UEFA were particularly secured in specific areas

</Gee via Tapatalk>
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 11:21:12 PM by Gee.B »

Offline ronin83

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 11:30:41 PM
Damn, that saks man...i mean sucks

us Offline pitbullz4me

Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 11:54:33 PM
The knife laws in England suck. For the most part, with the exception of auto knives, in Virginia we can carry most any knife. I really want a Microtech auto knife but don't want to risk losing my concealed weapons permit so I haven't purchased one...yet. When I think about that it irritates me until I think of you guys in England who can't really carry anything. I believe that if you don't have a criminal record you should be able to carry a knife of your choosing. Sadly, I can see these knife laws coming to the States in my lifetime. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 12:02:03 AM
Denmarkistan just got a revamped knife law. Before it was quite similar to that of the UK: No locking blade, no 1H opening, max length of 7 cm, no fixed blade knives etc.

With the new law things have gotten better AND worse:
Better: locking and 1H opening folders are now fine as long as they have a clear and publically acceptable peaceful design and utility.
Hunters, Fishermen and outdoors types are now much safer from police attention than before.

Worse: interpretation of such acceptability is the sole discretion of the police. The ramafications are as follows:
- No blades in airports, in large crowds, where alcohol is served at sports events, or anywhere else the police finds it illegitemate on that particular day.
- Aestetics matters. Tactically looking single bladed cutting tools are now a 40 day minimum sentence and a criminal record entry waiting to happen.
- This also means that multitools are MUCH safer from police scrutiny than single purpose folding knives. But location matters. Alot.

cheers
-T
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 12:03:19 AM
In Greece, the law is vague. It depends on your behavior. If you are provocative, or a criminal, having any knife will be used against you. Otherwise, very rarely Police or anyone else will search you. Airports are different, because they follow international rules. Excepting airports, the only other places I was searched un Greece were prisons, the Greek Pentagon and the US Embassy, were I went for a Visa. They all kept my Swisschamp and gave it back when I exited the premises.

ie Offline jonon9

Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 12:39:18 AM
In Ireland you are not allowed to carry any knife unless you got a bloody good reason to the judge will want one., now Iv been carrying saks for years. How i go about carrying one is dont be doing shady stuff, dont act the plonker in public, dont use a knife in a fight, etc. What I'm really saying is dont draw attention to yourself  :whistle:

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 12:52:56 AM
Don't wear a Stayglow Tinker on your necklace with all the tools out? (That's more like American tourist behavior though ;) )

I've traveled with an Explorer for decades without issue. But I NEVER carry it onto a plane. In certain countries I've seen posters explaining what can't be brought on, and I remember some countries allowing small scissors of a certain size. 

But I never risk it, don't want my knife to end up on ebay being bid on by...well people like me who buy confiscated knives on ebay. I always put any tools, not just blades, into my checked baggage and check it. Never carry-on.
If you're travelling light, with only a backpack, then it can be a problem.

I've always had a vehicle or hotel room/friend's flat available to stow my luggage and equipment, so when going out to pubs or events, I can leave my SAK and other tools and valuables in the room.
But if you're going to be taking everything with you in your backpack, everywhere you go, full vagabond style, it could get complicated. If the knife is a luxury item, maybe get a "travel knife" (old used Tinker?) you can afford to lose if you have to.

If you're working as a vendor, facility crew, production, musician, DJ, sound/lighting engineer, security, etc you'll pretty much have no trouble carrying small tools into festivals, as you'll be entering with your ID/badge at a different entrance.  I see this in most countries, stage crew usually carrying a knife (usually single blade locking or a box cutter) in the front pocket with clip, as well as gloves and ID badge and dirty shorts and a t-shirt with the sleeves cut off. It's pretty much the international uniform of the festival stage crew.

Enjoy the SAK  :cheers: safe, yet not boring journeys

...and if you end up in Thailand watch out for sneaky snakes and enjoy your cricket/mealworm lollies.
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

us Offline Frailer

Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 12:56:06 AM
In Kentucky, USA I can carry anything (and I mean *anything*) legally most places.

But I did have to leave my SAK with the guard at the metal detector about 10 years ago when I accompanied her wife to renew her driving license at a county courthouse.

I've since moved to a different county, and at my current courthouse there is no one waiting at the door to tell me to check my hardware.

id Offline classicrock

• With every mistake we must surely be learning
Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 02:14:07 AM
Our laws in Indonesia are still using emergency laws from 1951. That essentially all kinds of knives are prohibited (the punishment will be maximum 10 years in prison). But does not include a knife used for agriculture, or for household jobs or for doing a legitimate job or (here's the funny things) which obviously for antique or magical purpose.

But this has to be multiple interpretations and as long as we can give the reason that the knife carried for the job that need it, then it should not be a problem.

Still everything is back on the discretion of police officers who checked us. The important thing is we are able to provide a clear explanation, calm and cooperative, usually it's okay. But better carry SAK as EDC during the work hours. And don't carry them outside between 12am to 4am, because the police usually conduct random search on the road.

Sent from my SM-J500G using Tapatalk

-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 02:28:50 AM
USA , California resident, locally we can carry anywhere EXCEPT: Hospital emergency room entry area (detectors and security goon squad await to accidently LOSE yer cool items  :whistle: ) Reg Hospital side is A-OK not even a guard in site , lol  ..... Odd to me , but HEY!  :D

& the Court House ( similar squad except these are actual Sheriff Officers, and these guys suggest you take your items to your car, FIRMLY  :D )

Planes = check-in baggage ONLY

Other places I have had issues  ??? hmmm - Disneyland , Magic Mountain , ANY/ALL High School Graduations , County Fair Main Gate - These are the only places I can think of where, they have had Guards and metal detector wand at the gates. :td:     

:police: We can carry any length folder or fixed as long as it is NOT CONCEALED , and 2" or shorter bladed knife if a Switchblade.
I can not carry a Dagger or any knife where the blade is sharpened on BOTH SIDES.
I can not carry a knife that is disguised to look like something else - ie: cane sword,bullet shell gimmick knives etc
I rarely travel outside of my state, and rarely ever on a plane. Soooooooooooooo I rarely have any issues.  :2tu:
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

us Offline Joe58

Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 02:35:32 AM
One thing I've noticed that I find kinda humorous is on the entrance to the Vets Hospital in Omaha, they've one of those signs that keep you safe. You know the ones, no guns, no knives, yada yada.

This place is where I've seen that quite routinely ignored, knife wise, by most every vet in there. It seems almost all, moreso maybe the bit younger ones, all have a pocket clipped knife. Easily visible.

I've not once seen any of the security guards hassle anyone. I think it's just another case of act like a big boy, don't be a dumbass, and you'll get along just fine.

But I'd imagine one of these days, an incident will occur, and they'll crack down.

Other than that, it's pretty much carry what you want around here. Only place I've been stopped is at some govt buildings where I've had to go back out and leave my alox in the truck. They do seem to never notice the little brass looking SOG key knife on my keyring though. ;)

Knife on!  :climber:

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 02:37:55 AM by Joe58 »
🇨🇭

fi Offline Gath

Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 11:38:08 PM
Finland is similar to Norway, ergo generally quit lax but large police discretion on when carrying a bade is acceptable, and acceptable reasons to carry aren't defined, never has a 91mm got a second look though, perhaps in concerts or the like. Personally I don't like the law being so vague, as vague laws always weaken the Separation of Powers, giving judiciary power to the executive branch.

us Offline TonySal

• join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 02:49:37 AM
One thing I've noticed that I find kinda humorous is on the entrance to the Vets Hospital in Omaha, they've one of those signs that keep you safe. You know the ones, no guns, no knives, yada yada.

This place is where I've seen that quite routinely ignored, knife wise, by most every vet in there. It seems almost all, moreso maybe the bit younger ones, all have a pocket clipped knife. Easily visible.

I've not once seen any of the security guards hassle anyone. I think it's just another case of act like a big boy, don't be a dumbass, and you'll get along just fine.

But I'd imagine one of these days, an incident will occur, and they'll crack down.

Other than that, it's pretty much carry what you want around here. Only place I've been stopped is at some govt buildings where I've had to go back out and leave my alox in the truck. They do seem to never notice the little brass looking SOG key knife on my keyring though. ;)

Dont have the nerve yet to test my SOG at the VA!
join KNIFE RIGHTS

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 03:03:25 AM
The law in Italy is quite vague: you are not permitted to carry a knife or any other "improper weapon" if you don'thave a valid reason that justifies carrying it. However I've asked cops if I'd be ok with a SAK if searched, and they said I'd be alright.
What you can not carry at any time: switchblades, one handed knives, locking blades, daggers with the exception of a diving dagger if you're going diving.

About airports: I used to travel quite often to the US, and it happened to me more than once on the way there to have my SAK disappear from the CHECKED-IN suitcase. Once it was even a swiiss card that misteriously disappeared.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 03:07:00 AM by shadowrider »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 03:27:40 AM

Dont have the nerve yet to test my SOG at the VA!

Welcome to :MTO: TonySal :cheers:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 06:54:26 AM
USA , California resident, locally we can carry anywhere EXCEPT: Hospital emergency room entry area (detectors and security goon squad await to accidently LOSE yer cool items  :whistle: ) Reg Hospital side is A-OK not even a guard in site , lol  ..... Odd to me , but HEY!  :D

& the Court House ( similar squad except these are actual Sheriff Officers, and these guys suggest you take your items to your car, FIRMLY  :D )

Other places I have had issues  ??? hmmm - Disneyland , Magic Mountain , ANY/ALL High School Graduations , County Fair Main Gate - These are the only places I can think of where, they have had Guards and metal detector wand at the gates. :td:     

:police: We can carry any length folder or fixed as long as it is NOT CONCEALED , and 2" or shorter bladed knife if a Switchblade.
I can not carry a Dagger or any knife where the blade is sharpened on BOTH SIDES.
I can not carry a knife that is disguised to look like something else - ie: cane sword,bullet shell gimmick knives etc
I rarely travel outside of my state, and rarely ever on a plane. Soooooooooooooo I rarely have any issues.  :2tu:

Just to go over a few things. In bold it seems like you are saying any length folder as long as its not concealed. If so that is incorrect. Any length folder is alright even if concealed.

Another thing. Certain cities in California have their own knife laws. For instance Oakland, San Francisco, Modesto, Stockton, and I believe Los Angeles all have a 3" maximum for folders. There is most likely a few more smaller cities included in that. Also I believe the 2" switchblade being alright does not apply in Modesto and I assume other cities with the 3" limit. Even though a sub 3" is alright in California does not mean every city in California. You must know local laws as well (which is quite ridiculous in my opinion).

On the whole California has very relaxed knife laws surprisingly.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 08:55:12 AM

I am in Cali and I carry an 5.5 inch Espada, concealed.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:03:57 AM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 09:01:13 AM

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 09:05:02 AM
 :like:
I have never had a issue Personally  :tu:
I have never tried to actually conceal a knife, so never had that issue either  :D (in pocket ,sheathed or clipped to pocket, YOU BETCHA  :D :tu: )
Yes it is my understanding that city to city and officer to officer you can get different variations so , PLEASE do not take what i say as Law in your area.  :2tu:
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 09:07:29 AM
I love to carry my Mauser C96 if I have the permit to do so.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 22, 2016, 09:51:07 AM
Finland is similar to Norway, ergo generally quit lax but large police discretion [...] Personally I don't like the law being so vague, as vague laws always weaken the Separation of Powers, giving judiciary power to the executive branch.

Exactly that! When it works, it works well, but it's ripe for abuse, both systemic and individually.

Back to topic. (As we can manage that for more than five minutes anyway. :D )

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 02:05:30 PM
So, most SAKs it seems are edc friendly even here in stabby old England(we have a stabby kids with knives issue).
What are peoples experiences with particularly delicate situations though?
How about carrying on person when flying on holiday? In the airport, going through customs, the other end?
Gigs, festivals?

Are any countries a big no no? I mean being charged would suck big time, but having one confiscated would be irritating too.
Iv'e just ordered a nice basic Tinker and i'm wondering if i should take it to thailand with me, but all stories are welcome.

We do not have "stabby kids with knives issue" in the UK. Why would you say that?

There are laws for what you can and can't carry, I suggest you read them and decide for yourself I what you wish to carry and where.

When flying there are rules to what you can take on a plane, check with the airline before you fly.

Gigs and festivals are normally held as a private function, there will be rules for what you can take, read the small print.

Rules and laws are not the same around the world. Check before you visit other countries. We had a thread somewhere on MTO a while back which had carry laws from all around the world, very useful, just tried searching for it, I can't find it.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 02:14:33 PM
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveler: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 22, 2016, 02:15:59 PM
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveler: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

Ah top man, thank you!

Offline ronin83

Reply #25 on: August 22, 2016, 06:44:24 PM
We do not have "stabby kids with knives issue" in the UK. Why would you say that?

There are laws for what you can and can't carry, I suggest you read them and decide for yourself I what you wish to carry and where.

When flying there are rules to what you can take on a plane, check with the airline before you fly.

Well apparently we do hence the tightening up of laws. Knife crime had become a big problem, especially in cities and rough estates, and probably still is. The thing is, most stabbings are with a kitchen knife.

I have read the our laws and do understand them, i was more genuinely interested in people's different experiences and having to part with their sak when going on holiday
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 06:46:47 PM by ronin83 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD