Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Material for custom tools and backsprings?

se Offline Eddie Fernberg

• New User
Material for custom tools and backsprings?
on: August 22, 2016, 05:15:20 AM
Hello modders!

Freshly arrived modder in the making here  :)

After years of admiring your marvelous creations I have been inspired to start modding too. I have a couple of ideas that includes CNC:ed custom tools and and backsprings for SAK:s, but as my knowledge of material design is nonexistent I turn to you in hope that you will share your infinite wisdom with me.

In short terms, I wonder the following:
  • What type of stainless steel is best to create custom tools in?
  • Does the tools need some kind of treatment after the manufacturing?
  • What type of stainless steel do I need to make custom backsprings?
  • Does the backsprings need some kind of treatment after the manufacturing?

As mentioned before I have basically no knowledge about this, but by pure curiosity would it be nice to know. Also bare with me if a have complete delusions about this, still in the learning loop ;)

Hit me with everything that can correct this little brat - everything is by interest.

Cheerios!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 05:16:56 AM by Eddie Fernberg »
/Eddie

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Re: Material for custom tools and backsprings?
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 10:43:11 AM
Välkommen, roligt att stöta på namn man känner igen! (jag är nyss avgången fanbärare för Uplands).

There's not much I can give you for an answer regarding the questions on steel other than linking you to this topic but I do know for sure that you'll need to heat treat the tools.
What tools do you have in mind? Sometimes there are ways around your problem where you can start with some other tool if you want, this might save you lots of time and money. Also, send me a PM (available after 5 posts) if you want more localised help or need to borrow some tools (mostly hobby grade but I do have a decent toolset).

• New User
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 06:36:08 PM
Tack! Världen är bra liten! Kul att stöta på dig här. Lär höras mer nu när du uppenbarat dig och erbjudit hjälp. Uppskattas! :)

Okay, that is a start. Thanks for answers.

I have considered reshaping existing tools, but concluded that it won't be sufficient for my ideas. I know CAD at a basic level and have a friend who's skilled in both CAD and CNC and have access to the machines.

I'll look into the suggested topic. Thanks so far.

More input are of course welcome :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:15:18 PM by Eddie Fernberg »
/Eddie

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 10:44:04 PM
Eddie:

I'm no expert however this is my understanding of your main options:

1) find existing blades, tools etc. that can be ground down to shape to make what you want.  They will be heat treated so you must be careful not to heat them and ruin the heat treatment.  May be limiting as to shape, size etc.

2) buy stainless stock - blank flat stock is available in various thicknesses and types and it is not hardened and can be worked with files, grinders, drills etc.  Once you have it to shape it must be heat treated and generally speaking this isn't easy to do in a home shop situation.  I've used carbon steel and heat treated it but stainless is a different story as I understand.

I'm including a link that provides some detail on types of stainless blade stock that is available - this is what this shop carries anyway:

https://www.knifemaker.ca/Stainless-Blade-Steel

He also does heat treating:

https://www.knifemaker.ca/Heat-Treat-Service

I've never dealt with this shop (have no affiliation) and only provide the above links to give you some information as to what is generally available.  Please note his information about distortion in heat treating.

I expect there are similar businesses in your area of the world and that they can provide further information to you.

John.

• New User
Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 05:45:47 PM
jcs0001, thanks for the detailed answer!

Very interesting, will check in to it. Many thanks! :D
/Eddie

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88