Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Little SAKs

TonySal · 1274 · 84184

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Re: The Little SAKs
Reply #630 on: February 18, 2021, 02:42:55 AM
I wonder the same.  As I've said before, I wonder where these... the most commonly mass produced knife.... end up.   

A big contingent of backpackers, who are "non-knife" people, that will consider a knife on the same parameters as a backpacking stove or trekking poles... these folks always seem to choose a Classic

When I was in my 20's, my backpacking knife was a Randall 14 with a Buck 301 stockman for backup. Then I grew up. Looking back on it all, I think in my knife nut days I was in some sort of temporary insanity that I campout of in my middle age. Then my backpacking knife was a SAK tinker. Then it was a SAK bantam with a classic on my keys. The trend was smaller as it got older and needed a lighter pack, and I was things with more practicality. By my 40's I was no longer carrying what it did in my 20's. By my 50's I was no longer carrying what I did in my 40's. And so on.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #631 on: February 18, 2021, 04:51:29 AM
Same here sir.  It was fun, but I packed way more weight than I wound up using.
Barry

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #632 on: February 18, 2021, 04:57:11 AM
Hey, carrying around a pound or two of stainless steel never hurt anybody. I try to always carry a Classic, an Esquire or Executive, a 91 or two, and either my Farmer or Hunter. or both. All/any. Never fewer than 3. Sometimes 6 or more. Who cares. I've got the pockets, I may as well stuff 'em.
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #633 on: February 18, 2021, 05:49:27 AM
 :rofl: That's me!  I stressed more over which knife to take than anything else.  Now it's which Classic, or maybe the Exec  :facepalm:
Barry

us Offline pipedreams

• Improvisational Engineer
Reply #634 on: February 18, 2021, 06:23:36 AM
:rofl: That's me!  I stressed more over which knife to take than anything else.  Now it's which Classic, or maybe the Exec  :facepalm:
...or maybe a Walker...
-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #635 on: February 18, 2021, 10:48:33 AM
Hey, carrying around a pound or two of stainless steel never hurt anybody. I try to always carry a Classic, an Esquire or Executive, a 91 or two, and either my Farmer or Hunter. or both. All/any. Never fewer than 3. Sometimes 6 or more. Who cares. I've got the pockets, I may as well stuff 'em.

It wasn't the weight so much as I started looking at what I was doing and thought "This is silly." I was carrying stuff I never used, or used maybe 20% of its capability. As I got older, I just didn't want to carry anything anymore that I did not have a real world use for on a daily, or at least weekly basis. I just started to jettison things from my life that if I looked at it, and couldn't remover the last time I had need of it, it went. That included Bowie knives, SAK's with wood chisels, hacksaws, fish scalers, and lock blades wth one single blade that was a one trick pony. What I really had use for was a small easy to carry pocket knife with just a few tools like scissors and screw driving capability. I went from 93mm to 91mm, then to 84mm, and down to 58mm. I carried a classic for almost 25 years before moving to a 74mm curtesy of Nix's generosity with a gifted executive. I love my executive, but can get along fine with a 58mm.

gb Offline MichaelGT83

• No Life Club
Reply #636 on: February 18, 2021, 02:20:33 PM
It wasn't the weight so much as I started looking at what I was doing and thought "This is silly." I was carrying stuff I never used, or used maybe 20% of its capability. As I got older, I just didn't want to carry anything anymore that I did not have a real world use for on a daily, or at least weekly basis. I just started to jettison things from my life that if I looked at it, and couldn't remover the last time I had need of it, it went. That included Bowie knives, SAK's with wood chisels, hacksaws, fish scalers, and lock blades wth one single blade that was a one trick pony. What I really had use for was a small easy to carry pocket knife with just a few tools like scissors and screw driving capability. I went from 93mm to 91mm, then to 84mm, and down to 58mm. I carried a classic for almost 25 years before moving to a 74mm curtesy of Nix's generosity with a gifted executive. I love my executive, but can get along fine with a 58mm.

Similar to me. Having spent my formative carrying years with a Work Champ on Scout camps and then needing it the odd time in a couple of early jobs, I have now gone from "oh heck, I might need that Phillips at some point, I best sneak it into my pocket" to "meh, when have I ever actually needed the tools on it, I'm more likely to find a Classic/Signature Lite more useful." It's still handy to carry something with me, but a 58mm does me just fine these days.
We have the tools, we have the talent!

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #637 on: February 18, 2021, 03:32:10 PM
The awesome thing is, we have so many options. For those who only did this or that, it's awesome.

Part of my pocket bulging lifestyle is that I do sell a lot of these used knives, and I like to demo them (both to myself and others). I learn to use their different features, and am much more at ease selling them to people if I have personal experience with them. I do use some feature of some knife pretty much every day, usually multiple features.
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #638 on: February 18, 2021, 03:39:03 PM
 :iagree:
Similar to me. Having spent my formative carrying years with a Work Champ on Scout camps and then needing it the odd time in a couple of early jobs, I have now gone from "oh heck, I might need that Phillips at some point, I best sneak it into my pocket" to "meh, when have I ever actually needed the tools on it, I'm more likely to find a Classic/Signature Lite more useful." It's still handy to carry something with me, but a 58mm does me just fine these days.
Barry

gb Offline MichaelGT83

• No Life Club
Reply #639 on: February 18, 2021, 03:55:16 PM
The awesome thing is, we have so many options. For those who only did this or that, it's awesome.

Part of my pocket bulging lifestyle is that I do sell a lot of these used knives, and I like to demo them (both to myself and others). I learn to use their different features, and am much more at ease selling them to people if I have personal experience with them. I do use some feature of some knife pretty much every day, usually multiple features.

Oh, absolutely. Everyone's experience will be different. Since finding MTO I've been amazed at how people manage to use the various SAKs/tools on a daily basis. Being "stuck" in an office job means it all feels like a different world to me!
We have the tools, we have the talent!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #640 on: February 18, 2021, 03:58:52 PM
The crazy thing is that I absolutely love the mega SAKs.  I think part of the thing with carrying a tiny model is the creativity end of things when adapting a tool to fix a problem.  It's a great hobby right?!  :tu:
Barry

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #641 on: February 18, 2021, 05:16:19 PM
The crazy thing is that I absolutely love the mega SAKs.  I think part of the thing with carrying a tiny model is the creativity end of things when adapting a tool to fix a problem.  It's a great hobby right?!  :tu:

It really IS amazing what that little SD tip of the classic nail file can fix! I've replaced the door latch of a Sear's kenmore clothes drier with it, fixed a conked out Vespa motor scooter on a deserted dirt road in the middle of nowhere, fixed a door knob assembly in a Florida retirement condo when visiting an aged aunt. adjusted the Williams peep sight in the marlin rifle when our granddaughter was visiting as no two people will shoot a rifle the same way. Fixed a fishing reel on a rented boat and rod while out on the 'flats'  on vacation in Key West. Assembled IKEA furniture where a Phillips screw driver was needed. The tweezers have picked our stickers from up between the paw pads of our beloved canine companion, and can pick/release most handcuffs. The SD tip also opens a cold beer when used to gently pry up the lip of the crown cap to loosen it so it can just be popped off with a thumb.

The little 58mm's are limited only by the imagination/inspiration of the user.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #642 on: February 18, 2021, 07:06:38 PM
 :iagree: Exactly!
Barry

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #643 on: February 18, 2021, 11:12:35 PM

It really IS amazing what that little SD tip of the classic nail file can fix! I've replaced the door latch of a Sear's kenmore clothes drier with it, fixed a conked out Vespa motor scooter on a deserted dirt road in the middle of nowhere, fixed a door knob assembly in a Florida retirement condo when visiting an aged aunt. adjusted the Williams peep sight in the marlin rifle when our granddaughter was visiting as no two people will shoot a rifle the same way. Fixed a fishing reel on a rented boat and rod while out on the 'flats'  on vacation in Key West. Assembled IKEA furniture where a Phillips screw driver was needed. The tweezers have picked our stickers from up between the paw pads of our beloved canine companion, and can pick/release most handcuffs. The SD tip also opens a cold beer when used to gently pry up the lip of the crown cap to loosen it so it can just be popped off with a thumb.

The little 58mm's are limited only by the imagination/inspiration of the user.

I feel like every weight class offers a similar mental exercise and fits into our chosen pastime.  That's why I'm a stickler when it comes to Challenges.   Got a more substantial SAK?  Expect yourself to get more done - I say.  Rescue a turtle.  Get through a rusty bolt.  Surprise yourself. 

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #644 on: February 18, 2021, 11:53:49 PM
 :2tu:
Barry

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #645 on: February 19, 2021, 02:35:10 AM

I feel like every weight class offers a similar mental exercise and fits into our chosen pastime.  That's why I'm a stickler when it comes to Challenges.   Got a more substantial SAK?  Expect yourself to get more done - I say.  Rescue a turtle.  Get through a rusty bolt.  Surprise yourself.

Good point!

us Offline TonySal

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #646 on: February 22, 2021, 09:45:55 PM
Being this is an MTo page, would anyone like to open up to any "watch pocket" size knife other than Vic?
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #647 on: February 22, 2021, 10:27:39 PM
Being this is an MTo page, would anyone like to open up to any "watch pocket" size knife other than Vic?

I'd been looking at the Boker Mini Tech Tool.... That looks like a good watch pocket size.   

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #648 on: February 22, 2021, 11:17:18 PM
I'd been looking at the Boker Mini Tech Tool.... That looks like a good watch pocket size.

I have the model that comes with the blade and scissors in Zebrawood, it's a really nice little knife. The blade shape is, imo, far better than a SAK and whilst the scissors aren't as good they're perfectly serviceable. I'd like to pick up one with with the driver/bottle opener at some point.

As for the original question, I like Spyderco's Air, Dragonfly, Grasshopper and a few others for 5th pocket carry. The Leatherman Squirt is a good fit for it as well as smaller traditional patterns (peanut, Texas toothpick).
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #649 on: February 23, 2021, 04:22:33 PM
I like the sound of that.  I have carried everything from Mini Trappers to Spyderco Bugs and Dragonflies in my watch pocket.  I don't know if there's a thread over in general tools or edged tools already.  :dunno:
Barry

us Offline TonySal

Reply #650 on: February 23, 2021, 11:00:05 PM
 :tu: thanks gang, we still have our Classic SD
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #651 on: February 23, 2021, 11:26:22 PM
What more could anyone ask for :D
Barry

us Offline TonySal

Reply #652 on: February 25, 2021, 01:57:17 AM
:tu: thanks gang, we still have our Classic SD
  ...or Executive!
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #653 on: February 25, 2021, 02:03:15 AM
 :tu: :tu:
Barry

us Offline TonySal

Reply #654 on: February 25, 2021, 02:06:38 AM
:tu: :tu:

..forgot Mini-Champ! Have to revive that one!
join KNIFE RIGHTS

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #655 on: February 25, 2021, 01:55:39 PM

..forgot Mini-Champ! Have to revive that one!

Yup....

That, and the Rambler are definitely the best of the 58mm line  ;)
I tend to use the minichamp more (alox or cellidor) because of the placement of the phillips in the middle layer. It's more sturdy for torque than the one on the Rambler that sits against the outer liner. On the Mini it has the outer layer steel springs to bare and torque against, i can abuse it a bit more.... :P
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline TonySal

Reply #656 on: March 16, 2021, 09:58:44 PM
...probably will try Classic again, nice min for summertime min clothing  :dunno:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #657 on: March 17, 2021, 09:44:40 AM
My favorite beauties for the last months  :D
I hardly need anything else these days really....  :dunno:

For the cellidor one, the first thing i did when i got it was to pop out that ugly thick "pen scale" and pop in a standard toothpick scale...  >:D
Sooo much better...  ::)
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #658 on: March 17, 2021, 03:40:08 PM
My favorite beauties for the last months  :D
I hardly need anything else these days really....  :dunno:

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

For the cellidor one, the first thing i did when i got it was to pop out that ugly thick "pen scale" and pop in a standard toothpick scale...  >:D
Sooo much better...  ::)

If you don't want your pen and pen scale, I'd be happy to take them off your hands! Same goes for anybody else out there!  :D

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #659 on: March 17, 2021, 05:50:40 PM
If you don't want your pen and pen scale, I'd be happy to take them off your hands! Same goes for anybody else out there!  :D

I'd be happy to send the scale your way, but it was a bit difficult to pop out and i admit being a little rough on it when doing it (and wasn't much concerned with it too)... I cracked it on removal and ended up throwing it away...  :-\
It's a lot harder to take the scales of the 58mm in good shape than a 91mm for example... it's harder to hold while doing it too.
 The pen i actually thrown it in my coin pouch along with my other tool utility its and bits, as i can still use it if needed wedged with the Phillips SD in the Phillips layer...  ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%