Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How is quallity really on swiss MT's?

asb · 10 · 906

Offline asb

How is quallity really on swiss MT's?
on: September 12, 2016, 02:12:39 PM
Hey there, new on the forum.

Been looking on a few victorinox MT's but either they seem to shiny for me or are made very well and also thought out so but there is more "work" to get to the tools you need. Anyone got a pointer towards a certain model i should look into.

Off topic: 25 years ago, im 33 now i took a small trip even further north then i live in sweden to visit a natives shop that makes beautiful hand made knifes. I was a knife collector allready then. And my dad was on me to stop looking into the single glass monter. What it contained you can see in the picture if not the exakt same thing but close by. So 24 years later i descide "damn i really want this knife, and the whole color collection off it" There is 6-7 in the set but there are of course other made ones especially since they make new series all the time and let the old ones die out.

So i ordered my first one, (the dark one in the pictutr). and when yoi are like me at all so dont you just order one time per 6 month or so. I look for small things all the time, and then i found this cheap beauty (the silver one) And i just love it, It came dull as a spoon but after 5 strokes on the diamond sharpener it shaves my face if id like to.

Sorry for the OT, just so exited to get this knife today since i thought it was atleast 14 days until it would arrive.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Re: How is quallity really on swiss MT's?
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 02:28:39 PM
I'm assuming you mean Plier-based MTs?

The "Quality" as far as appearance, feel, movement etc of Swiss MTs is excellent, they get their rave reviews for a reason.

Quality of the tools in actual use (in my opinion, people may get upset with me) is no different or better than the other Big Brands (US Made Gerbers or Leatherman tools)

I managed to break the awl on my Swisstool pretty easily.

I think most people agree that of the Swisstool lineup, the Spirit X is pretty much the "way to go" in terms of function and comfort.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 02:36:02 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

The quality of Swiss Army knives extends to their Multi tools as well. I have a Spirit and it is a thing of beauty but is also and more importantly extremely useful. Even though it is very shiny I use mine very hard and it has shown itself to be tough and hardy.

I wouldn't want any other MT (not even if someone sent me a Leatherman, Gerber or SOG to mess around with - so don't even bother trying  :D). I can highly recommend the Spirit.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 03:00:32 PM
Welcome.

Victorinox MT quality is flawless and the Spirit is hands-down the best multitool ever made.

The only small drawbacks are:
No one-hand opening (quite a big drawback there)
No replaceable cutters
No pocket clip
No real bit kit (it does have an extension, but meh...)
It can get a bit slippery due to the high poilsh

Anyway for me... apart from the lack of OHO I don't mind any of the others, superb tools, perfect quality, wonderful engineering.
Leaps and bounds above Gerber and SOG. I find the quality to be higher than Leatherman too (and they never rust to boot), but LM have far greater variation in their tools so I'll say a draw there.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 03:15:52 PM
There's top notch quality, then above that there's Victorinox.

My SwissTool has a much better fit and finish compared to all of my Gerber or Leatherman MT'S.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 03:16:52 PM
There's top notch quality, then above that there's Victorinox.

My SwissTool has a much better fit and finish compared to all of my Gerber or Leatherman MT'S.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge.
+1

DMAC!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 06:37:25 PM
I have the Spirit X along with plenty of SAKs and love them and I have a few LM tools (Charge TTI, OHT, Wave, ST300) and love them. If I was to summarize my opinion:
Precision, quality, and overall fit and finish goes to Victorinox hands down.
Leatherman has a bit of an edge in functionality mainly because of the OHO tools and slim bits, but you could argue that Victorinox is better in that area too because of the ergonomic design, plus kit, and the fact that all tools are outside accessible. And if you carry a OHO folder, what does it matter anyways? As far as LM goes i also like the premium steel that you can get on some models but that wont matter to most people.

When I decide what I am carrying for the day. I normally choose by the toolset that I want rather than between the 2 brands that I normally carry. Both are excellent.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 08:17:18 PM
If you could only choose one MT for the rest of your life, what model of the Spirit would you choose?

I'm slightly biased but for me the Spirit is the best MT on the market. Long small tools with reach, a flat pocket friendly frame with comfortable handles. Top notch quality, no space wasted... I will stop there and quote our esteemed leader:

[...]
Look at the Victorinox Spirit, for example.  I realize that is going to the top, but really, it's form is beautiful, with each piece fitting perfectly in with all of the others, and yet it is still tough as nails and ready to any job that needs doing, and there is absolutely no wasted space.

If more designers would make something like the Spirit their goal rather than whatever they can come up with that might be trending this week, or they can easily market to modern day lumberjack wannabees then I think we would have a lot of cool stuff to talk about.  Instead, we are stuck with some company making yet another novelty.

Def
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 08:43:44 PM
If you could only choose one MT for the rest of your life, what model of the Spirit would you choose?

I'm slightly biased but for me the Spirit is the best MT on the market. Long small tools with reach, a flat pocket friendly frame with comfortable handles. Top notch quality, no space wasted... I will stop there and quote our esteemed leader:

[...]
Look at the Victorinox Spirit, for example.  I realize that is going to the top, but really, it's form is beautiful, with each piece fitting perfectly in with all of the others, and yet it is still tough as nails and ready to any job that needs doing, and there is absolutely no wasted space.

If more designers would make something like the Spirit their goal rather than whatever they can come up with that might be trending this week, or they can easily market to modern day lumberjack wannabees then I think we would have a lot of cool stuff to talk about.  Instead, we are stuck with some company making yet another novelty.

Def

I'm going to agree with Def, of course. For me the novelty lies in how far and away better the Spirit is compared to all others, including Vic's own other offerings.   :D

So exactly right E Man, which Spirit is the only question.  :tu:

:cheers:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 01:04:35 AM
Welcome to the forum. Good story. :tu: how good the swiss multi tools are will be fully realized when you get them in hand. I had skipped over the spirit many times in my early days. It looked cluttered and I was stuck on Leathermans. Once I got the Spirit in hand it completely changed my opinion. As said before it's not perfect, but close too. All outside accessible tools (no oho blade) balanced tool set, superb quality, beautiful to look at but don't be afraid to use her. She can take it. And as said before no pocket clip. It is however very light. Also, the cutters are terrible on stranded wire. But if that's the last thing your cutting then no worries. I considered buying a new charge tti brand new but to pay almost $200 for a tool without an awl :facepalm: anyhow try to find one locally I'd you can. If not Amazon has really good customer service. Go for it! And get a swiss tool x :whistle:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%