Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Counterfeit Wenger?

us Offline Sir_Blinky

Counterfeit Wenger?
on: September 16, 2016, 11:43:25 PM
Greetings all. Hoping to draw on the expertise of any Wenger officianados out there since my Wenger knowledge is pretty limited. Long story short, I received a Wenger Air Traveler that kind of has me wondering about its pedigree since there are such good SAK fakes showing up out there these days.

First thing that caught my attention is the shield and cross logo screen printed on the scales. All of the other Esquire knives of the black variety I've come in contact with have had a monochrome logo rather than a red shield.
Second is the fact that the name "Wenger" is not stamped into the scale nor are there markings of any kind on the tools indicating where it was made.

Everything else seems bog standard and the packaging and documentation look pretty authentic with the exception that the box has no hologram sticker, which is something I believe Wenger commonly did in its last years of knife manufacture(?). Anyway, if someone could take a look and reassure me that this little guy was actually born in Delémont instead of Shenzhen I'd certainly appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Online cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Counterfeit Wenger?
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 01:11:54 AM
It's authentic I'm sure. No one fakes a Wenger.   

First of all, bladeless models typically don't have tang stamps.  Secondly, my Pocket Toolchest has the exact same scales.

us Offline Sir_Blinky

Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 01:26:53 AM

You never know. There's a lot of things I wouldn't think worth their time to duplicate, yet they still do, lol! :)

First of all, bladeless models typically don't have tang stamps.  Secondly, my Pocket Toolchest has the exact same scales.

Exactly the kind of comparative info I was looking for, thanks! I find it kind of curious that they wouldn't at least stamp the tang of the nail file. Both companies seem to be obsessed with making permanent marks showing their authenticity. Anyway, it looked nothing like the product picture on Wenger's web site nor the one on the site I bought it from so it aroused my suspicion a little.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 01:28:37 AM by Sir_Blinky »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 03:29:09 AM

+1000!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 05:13:27 PM

+1000!!!
No one fakes a Wenger because clones depend on tricking customers into thinking they bought a name brand theyve seen before. Anyone bothering to copy a SAK would copy a Victorinox, sice they have better brand recognition.

Knock offs on the other hand, take a known design, amd sell it under their own brand. This is a different kind of copying, with a different kind of intent. These wont have name branding on them.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%