Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can you use the Leatherman bit driver adapter with the SAK inline screwdriver?

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

I've been thinking about getting a Cybertool, but was also wondering whether it's possible to use the Leatherman (heresy!) bit driver adapter, which fits over the Phillips driver on some Leatherman's (like my Knifeless Fuse) with the in-line Phillips screwdriver on the Explorer and Yeoman etc., and if so, whether it's a decent fit?

I mean the adapter bottom right in the picture below:

The advantage of this adapter is that it can be used with either Leatherman's flat bits, or full size 1/4" hex bits. I don't really like using the flat Leatherman bits, except the ones for small Torx/Phillips/Flat drivers (up to the point where they're not full size any more, but start to have their edges shaved off), and prefer the full-size bits for all hex bits.

This wouldn't be as neat and compact as the Cybertool, but would allow use of hex bits larger than 4mm (like the 5mm ones you need for taking the wheel off bicycles) and a wider range of bits. Of course the Cybertool Yeoman version has access to both the 4mm bit driver and the inline Phillips, so could potentially be used for both (though is expensive and hard to get outside the USA)...
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
In brief, I use the Leatherman bit driver adapter from my CORE, BLAST, ST300, etc. with:

a. Any of the squared Phillips from Gerber tools, like the MP800 Legend or MP600, which give a tight, snug and secure fit
b. My Vic Spirit, in which it wobbles and moves a bit but can be used no problem (fits with a bit of free space, if you point it towards the floor it falls from the tool), and my Vics Swisschamp/Explorer, which also can handle and use the adaptor albeit in a wiggly and imperfect way (the adapter dances around and can move quite a bit, but it can be used effectively to apply torque and works just fine for normal screws)

Just my experience
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

In brief, I use the Leatherman bit driver adapter from my CORE, BLAST, ST300, etc. with:

a. Any of the squared Phillips from Gerber tools, like the MP800 Legend or MP600, which give a tight, snug and secure fit
b. My Vic Spirit, in which it wobbles and moves a bit but can be used no problem (fits with a bit of free space, if you point it towards the floor it falls from the tool), and my Vics Swisschamp/Explorer, which also can handle and use the adaptor albeit in a wiggly and imperfect way (the adapter dances around and can move quite a bit, but it can be used effectively to apply torque and works just fine for normal screws)

Just my experience

Okay, so it'll do in a pinch, but probably not ideal for everyday use, ah well. I'm actually getting a leather pocket slip made up for my Victorinox Bit Wrench kit, but that might be a bit bulky to carry every day.
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
I agree with Peacent that it will definitely work and I don't even remember it being to wiggly but it was some :tu: I would have no problem using the Phillips with the bit adapter but might not use it on a  really stubborn screw as you nevern know what it may do to either the SAK or the adapter :whistle:

gb Offline shibafu

You can convert a conventional 1/4" square drive bit adapter into a bit driver that fits on the SAK bottle opener, using epoxy putty.  There is a thread demonstrating that somewhere but I can't find it right now.

gb Offline shibafu

You can convert a conventional 1/4" square drive bit adapter into a bit driver that fits on the SAK bottle opener, using epoxy putty.  There is a thread demonstrating that somewhere but I can't find it right now.

Here it is:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,61445
The how-to:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,61445.msg1139971.html#msg1139971
Mike 56 used JB Weld, but I didn't have much luck with it as I found it too runny.  Maybe we get a different composition of JB Weld here.  I used "Quiksteel"-type metal-filled epoxy putty instead.

I also made one using a 1/4"-drive 4mm socket, as an adapter for precision screwdriver bits.  I stuck a small magnet in that one as a way to retain the bits.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 12:35:52 PM by shibafu »

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
If you file a little off one edge of the square hole of the bit driver it fits much more snugly onto the phillips driver:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I really wouldn't want to put any torque on a SAK.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
You can use a generic bit holder - I inserted a plastic sleeve into the holder and it grips the in-line philips very well. ZMan is right though - it's best not to put too much torque on a SAK. Good for light jobs though.

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
I agree with Peacent that it will definitely work and I don't even remember it being to wiggly but it was some :tu: I would have no problem using the Phillips with the bit adapter but might not use it on a  really stubborn screw as you never know what it may do to either the SAK or the adapter :whistle:

I did try this last night when I got home and it was wigglier than I remembered :facepalm:

+1 about not needing to put to much torque on a SAK :whistle:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
I agree with Peacent that it will definitely work and I don't even remember it being to wiggly but it was some :tu: I would have no problem using the Phillips with the bit adapter but might not use it on a  really stubborn screw as you never know what it may do to either the SAK or the adapter :whistle:

I did try this last night when I got home and it was wigglier than I remembered :facepalm:

+1 about not needing to put to much torque on a SAK :whistle:

That would be +2 ponch: Zman  -         0
                                             Magentus - +1
                                             Poncho -     +2

:pok:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
What, I'm a zero now? Get off my lawn then!

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Thanks for all the replies, looks like some interesting experirments there! Think I'm going to get a Cybertool 29 and use that for the lighter jobs, and just use my Victorinox bit wrench for the more heavy duty ones - it doesn't add much space on top of the strip of 1/4" bits.

Still a shame you can't easily use a 5mm hex bit with the Cybertool, as that's the most important one for maintains my bicycle, though 4mm and Phillips are also used.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Shibafu, you beat me to Alternative A.

But, I like Alternative B: http://docallensversatool.com/ I've been EDCing one alongside a Leatherman and SAK for about 10 years now. I've put enough torque on it that I was pretty sure it was going to fail, but the stubborn thing just looks at me with mocking distance, even when I stuck a chunk of rebar in there to use for more leverage. Broke the driver bit, but not the tool.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

But, I like Alternative B: http://docallensversatool.com/ I've been EDCing one alongside a Leatherman and SAK for about 10 years now. I've put enough torque on it that I was pretty sure it was going to fail, but the stubborn thing just looks at me with mocking distance, even when I stuck a chunk of rebar in there to use for more leverage. Broke the driver bit, but not the tool.

I quite like that, though the Vic Wrench set is not really any more bulky and snaps together nicely. Got mine for about £13 from FFX postage included: http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Victorinox-Vicbw-5026393900197-Bitwrench-Case-And-Bits-For-Swisstool-30303

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice

I quite like that, though the Vic Wrench set is not really any more bulky and snaps together nicely. Got mine for about £13 from FFX postage included: http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Victorinox-Vicbw-5026393900197-Bitwrench-Case-And-Bits-For-Swisstool-30303

(Image removed from quote.)

I carry one of those in my emergency bag at work. For me,the big advantage is it uses standard quarter inch bits. The flat LM bits are fine in the tool mounted LM bit drivers,but are too sloppy in the adopter.

The other option for a Spirit is the discontinued LM Universal Tool adopter,which is a great piece of kit!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Just want to throw in that similar to the Vic setup you can get other bit holders (e.g. look in Show me your Bike Tools)

Topeak Ratchet Rocket Lite comes with a nice sheath (There are at least 3 versions available). Topeak also has the Torqbar, which is even more compact and can carry 5 bits IIRC and you can always replace the torq-limiting-bit-holder with a regular one (I have one and will post pictures hopefully during lunch break, if I find the time).

Depending on your needs, maybe you can use a bike tool as they often supply a plethora of Allen-keys and Phillips
ratchetrocket_01.jpg
* ratchetrocket_01.jpg (Filesize: 55.11 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Just want to throw in that similar to the Vic setup you can get other bit holders (e.g. look in Show me your Bike Tools)

Topeak Ratchet Rocket Lite comes with a nice sheath (There are at least 3 versions available). Topeak also has the Torqbar, which is even more compact and can carry 5 bits IIRC and you can always replace the torq-limiting-bit-holder with a regular one (I have one and will post pictures hopefully during lunch break, if I find the time).

Depending on your needs, maybe you can use a bike tool as they often supply a plethora of Allen-keys and Phillips

I actually had the Topeak Ratchet Lite DX (the one shown in the top of the photo), but lost it when it fell out of my pannier that had opened itself whilst I was cycling :-(

The Vic Bit Wrench feels stronger, though, though the Topeak wasn't weak, but a ratchet is obviously faster for some situations. I might pick up a Vic ratchet just for something different, I do like the way these tools neatly clip onto the holder. The included bits seem better quality than the Topeak bits, though sorely lacking in hex bits (need at least a 4mm and 5mm bit for bikes), but I've already picked up some Wiha and Wera hex bits.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%