Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I want it because I like it...

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
on: December 23, 2016, 03:33:19 PM
I've been reading some of the threads here about rare SAKs and collectible SAKs, some unobtainium, etc.
I wondered where I might fall into the SAK collector continuum.

I started looking at the ones I have and it's a bit of a hot mess.....a couple from the 60s some from the 2010s and all in-between.
Alox, cellidor, discontinued and still available.  There's no rhyme or reason except that I like 'em.   :climber:

As a collector of other items, I used to have a motto that I'd say to myself, "Keep the rare, sell the common."  But as I get older I'm finding that sometimes the rare aren't necessarily what I like.  I'll admit that having something rare has given me some bragging rights, but that's short-lived and the longer lasting joy comes from having something in my collection that I adore....even if it's a common Camper.  :cheers:

So I've decided to ease up on myself and just buy what brings me joy, sure it might be a rare one now and again, but I'm pretty sure getting some Swiss Bianco Yeoman's would tickle my fancy right about now.  :tu:

Anyone else out there have a varied collect such as me?

Here's a photo of my oldest ones, followed by my current daily carry:

Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: I want it because I like it...
Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 04:14:21 PM
 :gimme: :like: :cheers: :tu:

Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 04:30:25 PM
:gimme: :like: :cheers: :tu:
Thank you SteveC.
The one I adore the most though is my Camper:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 06:07:47 PM
I probably have one of the larger collections here, but have recently been paring back to just 84mm and 91mm. I have some very rare 74mm items, some old exposed rivet 58mm, and almost all of the custom Alox stuff from a couple years back but am considering selling all of that. Even in my 91mm collection I have some stuff that is extremely rare and some that is extremely common - one of the main things I enjoy is seeing the evolution of the knife. As a result, I have about 40 different Huntsman/Woodsman models from 1905-present and again as many Tourists from 1897-present. So my larger collection becomes something of a bunch of mini-collections. I love models with technician screwdrivers so I have a bunch of those, for example.

They have been making SAKs for almost 120 years in hundreds of different variations. You'd go mad trying to collect one of each. This is what I like about SAK collecting - there's no "standard" collection. You carve out a little niche for yourself and enjoy. Some people like advertising knives, some 111mm, some old Wenger knives. Define your niche and collect away.

Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 06:29:30 PM
I probably have one of the larger collections here, but have recently been paring back to just 84mm and 91mm. I have some very rare 74mm items, some old exposed rivet 58mm, and almost all of the custom Alox stuff from a couple years back but am considering selling all of that. Even in my 91mm collection I have some stuff that is extremely rare and some that is extremely common - one of the main things I enjoy is seeing the evolution of the knife. As a result, I have about 40 different Huntsman/Woodsman models from 1905-present and again as many Tourists from 1897-present. So my larger collection becomes something of a bunch of mini-collections. I love models with technician screwdrivers so I have a bunch of those, for example.

They have been making SAKs for almost 120 years in hundreds of different variations. You'd go mad trying to collect one of each. This is what I like about SAK collecting - there's no "standard" collection. You carve out a little niche for yourself and enjoy. Some people like advertising knives, some 111mm, some old Wenger knives. Define your niche and collect away.

Thank you JB for chiming in.
Eventually I'd like to have an exposed rivet knife, I don't have one of those yet.  And if there is an exposed Woodsman, that is what I would prefer.  I am trying to get a mini-collection of the Woodsman.
You mention loving technician screwdrivers, I love the magnifying lens, so I suppose that is why I like the Yeoman and hope to have a mini-collection of those too.

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 07:13:30 PM
I don't have a particularly large SAK collection myself but I agree to just collect the ones that you fancy and you will be quite happy with that colllection :tu: I have several standard models and a few that are discontinued and even a few alox :like: So collect what you like and I am sure we all would love to see pics of it :D

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 07:15:02 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a few pics of those woodsman/huntsman and tourists you have either JB :whistle: :D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 07:16:51 PM by Poncho65 »

Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 07:22:50 PM
I don't have a particularly large SAK collection myself but I agree to just collect the ones that you fancy and you will be quite happy with that colllection :tu: I have several standard models and a few that are discontinued and even a few alox :like: So collect what you like and I am sure we all would love to see pics of it :D

Sure thing Poncho, I'll post some photos when I have a mini-collection, might take a while.  Sure takes a lot of time to find the ones I want....and there's only about 5 I'm trying to track down.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 07:37:31 PM
Am a collector with no niche... I collect what I see and like... my collection ranges from 58mm all the way up to 111mm... some are old versions, rare/diacontinued and existing models...Sadly no 100mm and 120mm/130mm  in my collection yet.. I also collect non-tool victorinox stuff... can be seen here:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=67579

As a collector, am in that stage where it is hard to let go of stuff...

Fancies of late are 93mm colored alox, Soldier 1961, 108mm and Spirits... actually am currently in the process of closing a deal for a Spirit S BO...

One thing is for sure, those in my collection are guaranteed shelf queens... custom mods are what I use... If I will use a standard model, I buy 2... one for collection and one for use...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 07:40:11 PM by jaya_man »

Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 07:43:31 PM
Am a collector with no niche... I collect what I see and like... my collection ranges from 58mm all the way up to 111mm... some are old versions, rare/diacontinued and existing models...Sadly no 100mm and 120mm/130mm  in my collection yet.. I also collect non-tool victorinox stuff... can be seen here:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=67579

As a collector, am in that stage where it is hard to let go of stuff...

Fancies of late are 93mm colored alox, Soldier 1961, 108mm and Spirits... actually am currently in the process of closing a deal for a Spirit S BO...

One thing is for sure, those in my collection are guaranteed shelf queens... custom mods are what I use... If I will use a standard model, I buy 2... one for collection and one for use...

Thanks jaya for your contribution.  It's nice to know other's don't necessarily have a niche either.
Your customs are the bees knees to me!  I have got to get me (or make myself) a Yeoman with a wood saw.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 07:49:42 PM
I'm in the process of selling my shelf queens. I've found my niche, that's Classics (and I'll keep many others for use).

Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 07:53:46 PM
I'm in the process of selling my shelf queens. I've found my niche, that's Classics (and I'll keep many others for use).

Thank you for your comments Ronald.  Are you the one who collects the Classics that have insignias on them?  I know someone here does.
I'm in the process of trying to find some shelf queens, but I decided I don't want too many of them.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 07:58:24 PM by FolderBeholder »

Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 07:56:24 PM
Here's an example of a knife I'd like with a magnifying lens:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorinox-Scientist-Swiss-Army-knife-white-used-good-condition-5020/302174877294?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3D169fcb98f0bc452aba16255dd7291d68%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D361858679769

I just can't pull the trigger on it.  First, I really want it in white and second, it just seems too used for the price.   :think:  Thoughts?  I guess I haven't been tracking them long enough to know their value.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 07:59:25 PM

Thank you for your comments Ronald.  Are you the one who collects the Classics that have insignias on them?  I know someone here does.
I'm in the process of trying to find some shelf queens, but I decided I don't want too many of them.
I'm not The One.  :D

Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 08:04:26 PM
Oh, I apologize I'm kind of new here even though I had signed up back in 2013.
Curious if you collect both cellidor and alox versions?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #15 on: December 23, 2016, 08:05:42 PM
I too only want what I like, but my tastes revolve more around usage than desirability. I do have a few "collectables", but my meagre array is insignificant compared to the majority of collections here. Not everything I own wins pocket time, so I'll be thinning out further in the New Year. I don't get enough pleasure from ownership alone, so if they don't win pocket time, they're no good to me.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Reply #16 on: December 23, 2016, 08:10:13 PM
I too only want what I like, but my tastes revolve more around usage than desirability. I do have a few "collectables", but my meagre array is insignificant compared to the majority of collections here. Not everything I own wins pocket time, so I'll be thinning out further in the New Year. I don't get enough pleasure from ownership alone, so if they don't win pocket time, they're no good to me.

Thank you 50ft-trad, I always enjoy seeing your signature about your most used gear.  I may thin out a few, but that's always difficult for me, so I'm trying to take it slow and not buy too many.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #17 on: December 23, 2016, 08:35:49 PM
I have never thinked abiut any rule in my collecting, exept picking knives I edc or really like. My SAKs are mostly two layer ones as I like those most. I have countless standards, spartans, tinkers, tourists, recruits, cadets and so on... so maybe Im just a two layer collector then? Never really thought about it...
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #18 on: December 23, 2016, 08:44:15 PM

Thank you 50ft-trad, I always enjoy seeing your signature about your most used gear.  I may thin out a few, but that's always difficult for me, so I'm trying to take it slow and not buy too many.

I really ought to review my signature line/s. They're not visible on the mobile version of the site, so I haven't seen if it's still up to date or not. I'll add that to my "to do" list  :D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 08:47:34 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 23, 2016, 08:58:02 PM
I mainly buy things that are "deals". I find knives where the seller has them listed generically, with poor photos. Perhaps buyers haven't seen it, but I happen to know it's a slightly rarer knife. The intent is to clean them up and resell them, in better condition, properly identified, clear photos with features pointed out. Every time I've done this I've profited.

But here's the problem. At least 75% of the time I end up keeping the knife instead of selling.  :doh:

I never had much interest in collecting knives I wouldn't actually use, or the exact same knife in every color as we often see with alox and classics. But somehow that's kind of started to happen since I have a hard time re-selling these knives.

I mainly have 91mm's and nothing too old. Still I need to start selling these knives. The idea is to keep it fluid, buying continually and only keeping ones I end up liking or using. I've got the buying part mastered...I'm just no good at letting go.

As for what I'm into lately- metal inlays. Could be advertising ones if they're cool, or just commemorative ones. I like the idea that there's a bit of a history to them and I generally look up the company or organisation to see what region of the world it's in.

I like them because, unlike printed graphics, they can be buffed to a shine and they all kind of match instead of being random colors. I also like odd sounding names engraved into the scales. I look these up too, wondering who owned the knife previously.

The daily scene at mail time:

2016-12-23 12.01.32.jpg
* 2016-12-23 12.01.32.jpg (Filesize: 131.44 KB)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 09:02:30 PM by JamesJ »
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

Reply #20 on: December 23, 2016, 09:18:23 PM
JamesJ, thanks for the response.  Quite a nice little mail haul today!  :tu:
I don't have anything scheduled today for delivery.  :cry:

If I bought for "deals" I'd have a hard time letting them go too, so I totally get that.  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: December 23, 2016, 09:34:03 PM
I have a few 84mm golfers that I just adore and some 84mm tinkers that I also am fond of.  I have Cybertools ( 4 ) and some colored farmers.  I have a few soldiers and OC red alox.  I have a couple older SAKs with bales which I really like.  Hmm......  I don't think I have any particular theme.  I collect what interest me when I am faced with it.  I must also say that I am not actively seeking out any SAKs.  Whatever I run across at the flea market is what I typically buy. 

I used to peruse the bay of fleas but I have a very strict policy on what I'll pay for a SAK or MT for that matter. 

I do love all the collectors who have themes or focused collections.   
Esse Quam Videri

Reply #22 on: December 23, 2016, 09:40:42 PM
Thanks Aloha for your comments.
I am in a similar situation where I am collecting some that interest me at this time; that may change later.

Is there a particular area where folks showcase their collections?  It seems a couple of people have spoken about these collections.
Maybe some of you have seen the collections through the individual threads?  :think:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: December 23, 2016, 10:17:20 PM
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,34379.0.html
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,45269.msg734405.html#msg734405
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65566.0.html

Some neat ideas.  Mine are in a knife case.  The SAKs that I use are on a desk organizer which also holds my folders. 
Esse Quam Videri

Reply #24 on: December 23, 2016, 10:34:30 PM

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 23, 2016, 10:46:41 PM
I don't have a lot of disposable income to buy SAKs. I really don't even consider myself a collector. I don't own any old or rare models, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to. I buy what stands out to me as usable. It's got to be something I would carry and use. The most I've ever dropped on a SAK is about $80. I had a difficult time when it came to making that decision. I'm going to carry and use the hell out of it. I find some of the older models you've posted pics of very desirable, but I'd want to use it. That does me no good. I can buy a current model that does all the same things and pay a lot less. The only SAK I own that doesn't get carried was my grandpa's camper. Sorry if I rambled.

Reply #26 on: December 23, 2016, 10:52:08 PM
I don't have a lot of disposable income to buy SAKs. I really don't even consider myself a collector. I don't own any old or rare models, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to. I buy what stands out to me as usable. It's got to be something I would carry and use. The most I've ever dropped on a SAK is about $80. I had a difficult time when it came to making that decision. I'm going to carry and use the hell out of it. I find some of the older models you've posted pics of very desirable, but I'd want to use it. That does me no good. I can buy a current model that does all the same things and pay a lot less. The only SAK I own that doesn't get carried was my grandpa's camper. Sorry if I rambled.
Thank you Roc for your perspective.
I enjoyed reading it.
I have dropped a bit more on SAKs than I had intended, but the Woodsman (the one I paid most for), was worth it to me since it is my showcase piece.  I won't carry it, but I will admire and hold it.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #27 on: December 23, 2016, 10:57:23 PM
I started out as a general knife collector, and then narrowed it down (sorta) to Victorinox and Wenger. Have a pretty extensive collection of those. My goal is to have one of each model/variation/color. Not going to happen, but fun to try for.

The basic rule of collecting is to collect what you like. Also keep things in perspective, and don't let the collection interfere with more important things.    :cheers:

Reply #28 on: December 23, 2016, 11:03:50 PM
The basic rule of collecting is to collect what you like. Also keep things in perspective, and don't let the collection interfere with more important things.    :cheers:
Agreed.  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%