Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How my SAK did NOT save the day (it happens...)

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
How my SAK did NOT save the day (it happens...)
on: March 04, 2017, 01:23:14 PM
A few years ago, me and my team were working in the swamp south of my home town. Somehow we lost track of time, and when we called it a day we found out that the park ranger had locked the gate! There we were, with a van full of expensive equipment but no tools capable of breaking the lock. Of course I tried the metal saw on my SwissChamp, but to no avail, it hardly made a scratch. In the end, we had to phone for help. We were late for dinner that day!  :ahhh

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

us Offline Okie Shyster

Re: How my SAK did NOT save the day (it happens...)
Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 04:00:19 PM
Hopefully, you've learned your lesson and added a stick of dynamite to your EDC.   :pok:

us Offline rivercity

Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 04:48:46 PM
Mac would have made a thermite torch...... just sayin.......  :pok:  :cheers: :facepalm:

Chuck

"Well, when it comes down to me against a situation, I don't like the situation to win." ~ MacGyver

us Offline docfossil

Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 05:22:05 PM
The lock may have been hardened steel; I would have tried one of the links in the chain.
Vic Ranger and original Gerber Needle-nose Multitool = EDC
Formerly, Vic Huntsman x3
Semper Versitalis

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 05:34:23 PM
The lock may have been hardened steel; I would have tried one of the links in the chain.

Yes, except there wasn't a chain. Just hardened steel plates and a hardened steel lock, vandal proof. Even with the bolt cutters someone brought at last we had a difficult time.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 05:41:26 PM

Yes, except there wasn't a chain. Just hardened steel plates and a hardened steel lock, vandal proof. Even with the bolt cutters someone brought at last we had a difficult time.
A lock is designed to be hard to open, so no surprise there :D

If you would've cut the lock open within 5-10min, then what would be the use of a lock?

I once lifted a gate out of it's hinges by the help of 2 other guys and just shoved it back in place behind me :rofl:

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 05:53:29 PM
Ok makers,  here's your call to design the first generation of keychain bolt cutters. Just sayin... ;D

But seriously,  I feel for your predicament, and have nearly had that happen to me.  I was going through the checklist in my head for how to stay all night with just a day pack.

I had a much less crutial situation.  The strap button on my bass guitar likes to loosen. The Classic SD would take care of it fine. For a while, I stopped carrying it,  and just carried my Climber.  Well, the can opener won't fit deep enough to get to the screw.  The in line Philips on my Explorer Plus does.  The Climber is at home now. Great knife,  though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 05:55:28 PM by Mizedog »

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 06:00:06 PM
I generally rend to carry a Bosch Professional Li-Po 115mm angle grinder in the back of the landie has come in handy a few times :dwts:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Mattexian

Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 03:25:54 AM
I've been one of the strong back who helped lift a gate off its hinges, one time.

I recall a story from several years back, of folks having their high-dollar bicycles stolen, even with the fancy U-locks.  The thieves were using liquid nitrogen or dry ice to make the locks brittle, then smashing them with a hammer.  One could use similar to break a lock, if one is locked behind a gate again.  I think the dry ice might be easier to find, at some supermarkets and ice cream shoppes, if you call someone for assistance.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

R

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 03:39:36 AM
I would have picked it (using a pop or beer can and a pair of scissors).

:whistle:

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 03:59:00 AM

That's what I was thinking but if you didn't have the pop or beer can, the back tool screwdriver's, awl or chisel make for good lock rakes depending on the lock!  :)

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 04:50:09 AM

That's what I was thinking but if you didn't have the pop or beer can, the back tool screwdriver's, awl or chisel make for good lock rakes depending on the lock!  :)

Excellent!!!  :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 09:11:37 AM
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47083.msg771274.html#msg771274  ;)  Great minds think alike  :D

The metal file/saw is the one tool I'm always dubious about but I still like it. It has plenty of uses, even if it's not up to the heaviest of tasks.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 10:14:50 AM
I learned to brake just any ordinary lock with the G3 bayonet in the army. It is very strong and hard. I had to fix the dents latter but that wasn't so hard. But I wouldn't try to do it with a Victorinox blade, I think it is way softer.

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 10:14:59 AM

I just need a hair grip...... from my wife obviously  :whistle:
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

dk Offline Troels

Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 10:24:12 AM
Mac would have made a thermite torch...... just sayin.......  :pok:  :cheers: :facepalm:

(Image removed from quote.)

Hahah :rofl: Awesome :like:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 10:41:26 AM

And then there was another time he lit up magnesium shavings stuffed in a pipe to break the lock via the pipe expanding from the heat.   8)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 04:53:15 PM
I don't have a strong back anymore so I carry lock picks.  I not all that great but I've raked a few locks pretty easily.  I've even picked a security gate. 

There are some good videos on shim picking.  Not sure it works on all locks but good "tool" to have. 

BTW I'm not endorsing picking locks just,  well you know  ;)
Esse Quam Videri

dk Offline Troels

Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 05:31:07 PM

And then there was another time he lit up magnesium shavings stuffed in a pipe to break the lock via the pipe expanding from the heat.   8)

Loving the old MacGyver stories and tricks :D

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 06:26:32 PM
I don't have a strong back anymore so I carry lock picks.  I not all that great but I've raked a few locks pretty easily.  I've even picked a security gate. 

There are some good videos on shim picking.  Not sure it works on all locks but good "tool" to have. 

I think it may be illegal to carry lock picks, at least here in Michigan anyway!  They would say something like "possibly using to break into places" would be my guess.  That said, you really only need a rake and a tension bar as they should get you past most locks.  Lot's of video's to show how to use them and the shim method too.

You might be able to get by with using the toothpick or tweezers as a rake while using another tool as a tensioner.  Just a thought!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 06:28:17 PM by sir_mike »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #21 on: March 05, 2017, 07:00:05 PM

I think it may be illegal to carry lock picks, at least here in Michigan anyway!  They would say something like "possibly using to break into places" would be my guess.  That said, you really only need a rake and a tension bar as they should get you past most locks.  Lot's of video's to show how to use them and the shim method too.

You might be able to get by with using the toothpick or tweezers as a rake while using another tool as a tensioner.  Just a thought!
In my negligible experience, the tensioner needs to be fairly strong. :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: March 05, 2017, 09:39:20 PM
Oh by the way, an entrenching shovel and a steel army helmet work like a charm on single ball padlocks...

de Offline JM_Toolfan

Re: Here another story what may happen when you EDC your SAK
Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 04:20:33 PM
Some evenings ago my father, an elderly man with somewhat weak eyes, was not able to see the point of a drudge. This was when I thought my XLT SAK would save the day. Without makong any fuss i grabbed it from my pocket and folded out the magnifying lens. My father uttered it didn't work particularly well. I was puzzeled and put a finger agaonst it - it went through. There was only the hole left, the lens had gone. Bad luck! I will let you know what will come from Victorinox, I already ordered a spare part. So long...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 05:21:37 PM

From my understanding of California law I can carry as intent must be proved.  Mine are stowed within a tool box of other tools such as hammer, vise grips, etc, all of which could be burglary tools  :D
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 05:41:59 PM

From my understanding of California law I can carry as intent must be proved.  Mine are stowed within a tool box of other tools such as hammer, vise grips, etc, all of which could be burglary tools  :D.

Well if you break into any houses that have a sak collection be sure to share the wealth okay?  LOL

no Offline Grathr

Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 05:44:48 PM
Oh by the way, an entrenching shovel and a steel army helmet work like a charm on single ball padlocks...

Two entrenching shovels turned to 90 degree angels also works well :D
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 05:54:36 PM
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47083.msg771274.html#msg771274  ;)  Great minds think alike  :D

The metal file/saw is the one tool I'm always dubious about but I still like it. It has plenty of uses, even if it's not up to the heaviest of tasks.
:cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: March 06, 2017, 06:04:13 PM

From my understanding of California law I can carry as intent must be proved.  Mine are stowed within a tool box of other tools such as hammer, vise grips, etc, all of which could be burglary tools  :D.

Well if you break into any houses that have a sak collection be sure to share the wealth okay?  LOL

Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #29 on: March 06, 2017, 06:26:44 PM
I noticed this thread appearing in Grant's newsletter!  :pok: Very cool!  8)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%