Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Parts supply

Kmarr · 15 · 41467

Offline Kmarr

Leatherman Parts supply
on: April 30, 2010, 12:32:28 AM
Its come to my attention that there are no Leatherman parts for sale out there.  I had to buy 2 different tools just for parts to do a mod. 

So I have an idea in the works that will probably not take off on a large scale and will end up costing me a lot of money :think: but it will help some people just like me BIG TIME.

Question- What parts would you like to see for sale individually?

I'd like to see serrated guthook blade, bit driver, ST300 plier head, scissors, and long Core philips.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Re: Leatherman Parts supply
Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 02:15:00 AM
Acquiring Leatherman parts is hard (same can be said for most of the manufacturers apart from SOG in fact), because the warranties that come with tools are so good. That is to say that if you damage a tool, you return it for repair or replacement, rather than sell it ion cheaply as damaged.

However, it can be done if you wait long enough and look hard enough. You can accumulate enough broken tools to build of a stock of parts for mods, or in my case for repairs. I've made a number of good tools from two or broken ones to date, now, and the leftover bits I keep. This way, I've built up a reasonable stock of parts, albeit that it's taken several years. :)

Here's a shot of my current Leatherman parts (sorry, they're not for sale as I intend to use them for this: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,10350.0.html):

Just to remind Europe / UK based members that the offer made in the above link still stands :tu:

I used to come here a lot.

Offline Kmarr

Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 02:29:00 AM
I was able to undo the screws on my Mini with a pair of tiny vice grips I had.  its great to offer such a service to those who are absent tiny vice grips. :tu:  I was thinking if someone on the forum could be a martyr and buy a bunch of different LMs either broken or just used, they can sell them part-by-part and break even with the cost(if they are obtained cheap enough that is).  I could REALLY use a service like this, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Its like a Rotokid shop but a larger risk, as LMs are more expensive than SAKs.  It can be done but a market has to be established. hopefully some modcrazy members will voice interest :)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 02:38:57 AM
It would be great if some one did, but I suspect the difficulty in acquiring parts or donor tools would be the obstacle - they are simply hard to get hold of :)

When you used your vice grips, did the screws on the Mini show any marking or damage afterwards? I've done it, but never ended up with a "clean" job that way, there's always a little damage to the knurled screw heads.
I used to come here a lot.

Offline Kmarr

Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 03:13:03 AM
the indents fit pretty well with the screws but it did however leave few small nicks pointing upward that were easily taken care of with a sharpening stone.  The edge of some screws are a lighter shade from that but you can only notice if you stare at it.  It got the job done and didn't destroy it.

I'm searching around looking for something I can replace the knurled screws with for easier cleaning and modding.  I'll let you know how that turns out :)

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 08:05:38 AM
This is just an idea off the top of my head but is it possible to just take a dremel or a thin metal saw and cut a straight groove into the middle of the knurled screw or the security torx screw? That way you can open and close them with two flathead screw drivers.
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 08:13:58 AM
I'm not sure you could cut them deep enough, I think you'd end up mangleing the tool
I

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 05:34:42 PM
Acquiring Leatherman parts is hard (same can be said for most of the manufacturers apart from SOG in fact), because the warranties that come with tools are so good. That is to say that if you damage a tool, you return it for repair or replacement, rather than sell it ion cheaply as damaged.

However, it can be done if you wait long enough and look hard enough. You can accumulate enough broken tools to build of a stock of parts for mods, or in my case for repairs. I've made a number of good tools from two or broken ones to date, now, and the leftover bits I keep. This way, I've built up a reasonable stock of parts, albeit that it's taken several years. :)

Here's a shot of my current Leatherman parts (sorry, they're not for sale as I intend to use them for this: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,10350.0.html):

(Image removed from quote.)

Just to remind Europe / UK based members that the offer made in the above link still stands :tu:

thats quite a score of parts you got there dave  :drool:
I

Offline IcanCwhatUsay

• New User
Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 12:02:32 AM
Sorry for bringing this topic back from the dead but I'm new to knife modding and I wanted to chime in with what parts I am in the market for.

I want pretty much everything that comes in a Surge but more specifically this:

The replaceable saw
the large bit driver
the small bit driver
maybe the sissors
and the main blades

If you can find all or one of these I'll pay $15 plus S&H for each part.

Thanks for posting the idea though, I think it's a great idea!

Offline Hunter Gregg

• New User
Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 10:12:28 PM
I need parts for my leatherman blast. my Papa gave it to me when i was 6 and it is important to me. It got old. the parts i need are in the pic. if you have any suggestions pleas let me know.
20170910_125624.jpg
* 20170910_125624.jpg (Filesize: 124.42 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 10:36:56 PM
Welcome to :MTO:  :cheers:

Looks like you will need a new handle for your Blast :-\

You can always send it into Leatherman for repairs and mark it as sentimental :salute: You won't have one of the original handles when you get it back but hopefully the rest of it will be original :tu:

nz Offline Pauldmmwc

Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 11:18:03 PM
Hello.
Loki sells parts on this forum's for sale page. You may find the bits there. 
HE alos makes the knurled head  spanners which work very well. It is better to buy the 4 headed one than the 2 headed one  as they aslo fit the micra.
His service is pretty good.

For those security torx bits try your local Teng tools stockist.  You will find them in the catologue and shold be less than a lazy 10$ and I think they come in a set of 3. I think the size is TX10. :cheers:http://
Semper Sitienti !!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 02:27:56 AM
Tools are tools. Parts are parts.
Dead tools are parts.

I would prowl garage sales and flea markets, and if you're in the US find out who handles your TSA surrenders in your area.

But I'd do that anyway. Japanese PST, less than $15. Surge, for 25. First model, fixed drivers Wave... that one I'm not going to admit to it was so low. And I"ve never paid more than $10 for a Mini. Buying freedom for good tools from the TSA isn't just thrifty, it's good karma. Then you take them to zee lab, Herr Doktor Frankenstien. :D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 02:30:52 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 11:35:47 AM
I need parts for my leatherman blast. my Papa gave it to me when i was 6 and it is important to me. It got old. the parts i need are in the pic. if you have any suggestions pleas let me know.

Hard to tell from the picture what you actually need.  Looks like the handle has broken where the lock tab attaches. :think:  Is that the only part you need?  I have a Blast I stripped for bits  - I'd be happy to send you the handles if you cover postage - I assume you're in the US, but let me know.

Actually, you're probably better off doing what Poncho suggests.  They should repair it if you tell them not to replace it.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 02:09:18 PM
Hello.
Loki sells parts on this forum's for sale page. You may find the bits there. 
HE alos makes the knurled head  spanners which work very well. It is better to buy the 4 headed one than the 2 headed one  as they aslo fit the micra.
His service is pretty good.

For those security torx bits try your local Teng tools stockist.  You will find them in the catologue and shold be less than a lazy 10$ and I think they come in a set of 3. I think the size is TX10. :cheers:http://
Yeah, I second that... loki sells a wide array of LM tools and his wrenches for Gerber and LM are awesome.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%