Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitools vs. SAK multis

00 Offline fivesense

Multitools vs. SAK multis
on: July 04, 2017, 01:48:09 AM
I didn't know where to put this and can probably also venture on over to the Leatherman and Gerber sections. I imagine there's plenty of crossover though.

In general, do you use the traditional multitools (i.e. Leatherman Wave/Swisstool/Gerber Diesel) for heavier duty work and the SAKs (Swiss Champ, etc...) for regular daily tasks? Kind of a clumsy question as "heavier duty" and "regular daily tasks" are subjective. Not only that, but there are so many options in size and weight I suppose it's really just personal preference.

I've used my Leatherman Skeletool CX for cutting, tightening screws, plier tasks, but generally nothing my Swiss Champ can't handle. For me, if I start getting into "heavier duty" tasks, I head to the tool box for the appropriate single tool. But for most of what I come across during the day, I love the "toolbox" convenience of my individual SAKs.

The main reason I got back into SAKs is that I was on my back deck a couple weeks ago and had to pull up a few 2x6 boards. Some of the old screws were deeply embedded and filled in with dirt. To gain purchase on them with my drill, I had to clean out the screw heads and in an effort to be "convenient" I poked around with the blade of my Mora Companion; it and my Skeletool were on my belt but I figured I'd bang around with the less expensive Mora. Well, mission accomplished but with some dings to the blade (which I easily remedied on the sharpener and whetstone. It made me realize the benefit of an awl, which even the Skeletool doesn't have.

So for roughly the same weight as the Skeletool CX, I can get 3x the functionality with a Swiss Champ or similar. Plus, the additional tools mean I will more often have the right tool for the job. Sure, I can get this with many of the other traditional multitools, but often at a much heavier weight. So the conclusion to this rambling missive is that I'm leaning more toward SAK for multi-tool functionality. I still love Leatherman etc... but my little red toolbox is now my EDC.
Use your tools and enjoy the Zen of maintaining and sharpening them.

Consider donating a couple bucks to this site. There is no better knife or multitool site anywhere on planet internet.

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Multitools vs. SAK multis
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 01:56:18 AM
I was Swiss Army born and Swiss army bred, and when I die I'll be Swiss Army dead.

I prefer the SAK for it's looks, accessibility, practicality, pocket-ability, and just the fact that they might be the coolest thing on Earth.  No hate for other tools, just an abundance of love for SAKs.  I do not consider pliers to be an EDC need for me, though if that's what you need it seems the Swiss Tool stands up to most any other plier-based multi... but I'm no expert and I'm sure a multitude of Leatherman/Gerber enthusiasts would damn me for my beliefs.  :D

:climber: :climber: :climber: :climber: :climber: :climber: :climber: :climber: :climber: :climber: :climber: :climber: :climber: :climber:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 01:56:43 AM
I have been carrying all sorts of Leatherman tools since the early '90s. Recently I came to the realization that in my current life phase, work and personal, I never needed all that a Leatherman offers. So I switched to SAKs. I now carry a SAK on my belt and a quick deploy knife in my pocket.

I never seem to need more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 02:56:40 AM
Thanks for the responses so far. I agree!

I don't need the pliers every day but I need them frequently enough. As such, the Swiss Champ is very convenient for me. However, I can easily get away with my Explorer (or Huntsman BSA/Fieldmaster) and be quite prepared!

Consider donating a couple bucks to this site. There is no better knife or multitool site anywhere on planet internet.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 03:06:29 AM
Multi-tools are all about trade offs.

It all depends on which features meet your needs.

I have always viewed SAKs as a lighter duty multi-tool than a heavier and larger plier based multi-tool. With that said, the SAK is hard to beat for its weight, and the knife steel used is one of the easiest to sharpen out there...but that is my opinion.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 10:10:21 AM
This is a very interesting topic...
I guess everyone has his personal taste and needs, for me as you probably imagine, I'm a Sak guy 100% (or at least 99%  >:D)
I don't have a job that actually requires any tools professionally, so I really have no need for multitools. I am however a natural born "tinker around guy", been taking stuff apart, fixing them, changing them since I was a kid, so in that perspective a Sak is my ideal to get by with what I have available. If I had a technical job that would require tools but a light and portable set I would probably carry a multi tool too, but not because I "love" multitools, just for the need for a specific job, nothing else. Just about the same as I view any other dedicated kind of tool, you need it, you use it, you put it away, done.
A Sak is way more than just a handy tool to me, it will always be a pocket knife that has some handy tools that can help you in a pinch, and its small and lightweight to carry with you in your pocket. All that and the whole concept, design and overall coolness of Sak's that have stuck with me for more than 30 years  :cheers:

On a side note, and regardless of anything else, I always use propper dedicated tools when I have them available.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:15:56 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 11:03:19 AM
Well when I got back into knives/multitools it was leatherman all the way. so much so I kind of turned up my nose at SAK's cause I used them as a kid. I got a load of them and sold them cheaply as I thought I had no use for them. Fast forward a good few years and I have a deluxe tinker on my belt and a compact in my pocket. Now I also have a Leatherman S2 in my back pocket but that is simply because I believe for somethings the pliers on my Tinker will not open wide enough. Not because I believe they couldn't handle any job that may come my way.

I have alot of SAK'S and quite a few leathermans if I was ever called to chose between the 2 it would be SAK's every day and twice on Sunday. Some Leathermans have sentimental value and will never leave me. But I try my best to hang on to all my SAK's. (Think it may be the swisschamp on my belt tomorrow with the compact in my pocket)

Now as for tool for the job. If I need a strong pair of pliers I would have went for a Charge or wave in the past however I really like the Spirit I have so that would be the first I would go for.

I can only see my collection growing from this point and every time I see someone mention a SAK i don't have I want it (currently a want a fieldmaster and custom Ti sak with a pocket clip)
Sorry for rambling on but what can I say love the tools love the forum ha ha

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 11:28:37 AM
I consider pliers tools and knife based tools to be around the same duty level. If either of these are not up to the job, I need dedicated tools. Obviously there are variations within individual tools in respect of duty level, but they are all compromised for cost and convenience.

I carry a pliers tool generally for the pliers and phillips as I tend to carry corkscrew models. If I do not envisage any potential pliers usage, I might carry a knife with Phillips. Occasionally the individual tools might be better suited to a task, such as a longer saw perhaps, or diamond file, a pry tool, or hex bit capability - aside from this, I don't care whether my saw or file or whatever else is on my knife or pliers, so long as they have not got so bulky as to impare ergonomics.

For me, locking blades are the misnomer. If I can't do the job with a slippie, I need a fixed blade. There is no middle ground - none - where I might need a folder that pretends to be a fixed blade. The only genuine benefit I can see with them is possibly for people with coordination problems. With proper use, they are no safer than slippies, and I have found many to be less safe. I am however very much in the minority with this thinking.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 11:33:49 AM
I am a Swisschamp guy, carrying a sequence of 3 Swisschamps and one XLT for almost 30 years. After deciding that my EDC was very heavy and bulky (with the additionn of 8x32 binoculars), I ordered a Skinth 2XL and decided that whatever SAK or Multi I will carry had to fit in there. The XLT fits, but leaves not much space. The Swisstool Spirit fits perfectly, has most of the Swisschamp tools and all locking and with more handle/leverage. There's space for a scissored Alox, the Vic Rathet with a set of hex bits and more. I'm still fond of SAKs and I keep a Swisshamp in my car and the XLT by my bedside and a Minichamp on my keychain and several others around, but the Spirit is a SAK with benefits. It even has the hook and a driver that doubles as a spatula!

Skinths MTO.jpg
* Skinths MTO.jpg (Filesize: 138.11 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 12:27:30 PM
I share thought with most above. I usually have 3 tools at work (real tools in the workplace, a MT and a SAK on person), and when out of it I carry a minimum of a SAK and a Multitool, with minimal tool overlapping if possible.
But, if I had to choose one only, it's gotta be a big SAK (Champion, handyman, Swisschamp, Wenger S557), because that gives me more utility and versatility per ounce and centimeter than anything else. Only the Spirit comes close, and I could carry it as a stand-alone tool, or the Swisstool.
Fact is, sometimes when I lend my tool(s) to someone or have them elsewhere I carry a big SAK and good ol' Knipex Pliers on me, as to me 90% of the times I use a MT is for the pliers, and these are way more capable and strong.

So yes, a SAK is lighter duty in most regards (prying, blade duties, gripping, twisting, tightening and loosening) than your Leatherman, SOG or Gerber of choice, but they are the multitool to have on you for any and every circumstance.
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 03:04:37 PM
I consider pliers tools and knife based tools to be around the same duty level. If either of these are not up to the job, I need dedicated tools.

Agreed.

I carry a SAK because I don't need full-sized pliers... and if I do need them, they're in my car (where I keep a dedicated toolkit).

All my daily needs can be met with a SAK in my pocket weighing less than  6 ounces. It's hard to beat that.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 05:03:35 PM by shamus »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 04:08:26 PM
I've got on and off the merry go round of what I should carry and what I like to carry many times.  Yesterday is a perfect example.  A friends mom asked if I could come by to help assemble a bookshelf.  I asked if it was IKEA knowing they typically come with tools.  She said no that it was rather involved or so she thought. 

I brought my tool bag however I had my charge on my belt.  When I'm not certain of the tools needed I bring my tool bag.  Dedicated tools are always going to be the best option but we all can agree on that. 

MT vs SAKs.  To me its as simple as, do you need pliers?  SAK plier are more super tweezers and while very good at what they are they are not comparable to MT pliers.  On my off days I've stopped carrying a MT full time yet I will it the mood strikes. 

Heres a thread talking about my current thoughts and carry. 
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71074.0.html

Esse Quam Videri

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 04:10:38 PM
SAK-s fit better in to a hand which makes them easier to use and more precise. At least for me.  :climber:

Also they should bear the title of the original multitool...  :pok:  :D

Pliers based multitools are better at tasks that require pliers. Surprising, isn't it?  :multi:

:rofl:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 08:31:48 PM
SAKs all the way. I was a SOSAK member even before multi-pliers were invented. :D

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 08:48:04 PM
SAK plier are more super tweezers

I agree with this. For heavy duty tasks the MT pliers or dedicated pliers are the choice. But I'm consistently amazed at just how often the "super tweezers" do the job for me. Such a great option to have.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 04:52:35 AM
Like Aloha, I'm getting saddle sores from the amount of times I've switched out on this.  I EDC a Rebar on my duty belt and vary between SAKs, Opinel, and Gerber multi tool's at home.  The craziest thing that just occurred to me the other day is I used the knife blade in my Rebar (and my Center Drive) more than any other tool in either one of them.  Maybe I should just pack a No. 9 Opie? 
Barry

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 04:58:18 AM
Like Aloha, I'm getting saddle sores from the amount of times I've switched out on this.  I EDC a Rebar on my duty belt and vary between SAKs, Opinel, and Gerber multi tool's at home.  The craziest thing that just occurred to me the other day is I used the knife blade in my Rebar (and my Center Drive) more than any other tool in either one of them.  Maybe I should just pack a No. 9 Opie?

Stop. Barry. Please. You're killing me. I can feel it, Dave. My. mind. is. go in  g
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 05:15:32 AM
I was Swiss Army born and Swiss army bred, and when I die I'll be Swiss Army dead.

I prefer the SAK for it's looks, accessibility, practicality, pocket-ability, and just the fact that they might be the coolest thing on Earth.  No hate for other tools, just an abundance of love for SAKs.  I do not consider pliers to be an EDC need for me, though if that's what you need it seems the Swiss Tool stands up to most any other plier-based multi... but I'm no expert and I'm sure a multitude of Leatherman/Gerber enthusiasts would damn me for my beliefs.  :D

:climber: :climber: :climber: :climber: :climber: :climber: :climber: :climber: :climber: :climber: :climber: :climber: :climber: :climber:

Quoting just because it's a beautiful display of emoji!

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 05:34:51 AM
I'm kinda like aloha. I've swapped my thoughts on this a lot. However I always seem to gravitate towards the Skeletool. I'm not a fan or the bigger leatherman's or MTs. I find them too heavy/bulky to pocket carry. SAKs are small but lack on key feature for me, one hand open blades. The smaller MTs like a squirt are nice imo. If I'm looking for a companion to a dedicated folder it's a toss up between a SAK or small Mt. But if I can only pick one, the Skeletool cx wins every time.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #19 on: July 05, 2017, 06:00:44 AM
Good afternoon, I am a HAL 9000 Computer.   ...  daisy... daisy.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #20 on: July 05, 2017, 06:07:04 AM
I'm kinda like aloha. I've swapped my thoughts on this a lot. However I always seem to gravitate towards the Skeletool. I'm not a fan or the bigger leatherman's or MTs. I find them too heavy/bulky to pocket carry. SAKs are small but lack on key feature for me, one hand open blades. The smaller MTs like a squirt are nice imo. If I'm looking for a companion to a dedicated folder it's a toss up between a SAK or small Mt. But if I can only pick one, the Skeletool cx wins every time.

Gotta be honest, the Skeletool does seem pretty practical if you need a decent pair of pliers in your edc without getting bulky.   Just checked.. guess they don't put the OH 111mm blade in a single layer?  :think: ??? 

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #21 on: July 05, 2017, 06:56:31 AM

Gotta be honest, the Skeletool does seem pretty practical if you need a decent pair of pliers in your edc without getting bulky.   Just checked.. guess they don't put the OH 111mm blade in a single layer?  :think: ???

I love the Skeletool and for the past 3 years of so I've carried it on a belt loop via the carabiner/bottle opener. It's been fantastic for just about everything I've needed- except when I could have used scissors, tweezers, a magnifying glass, file... Somewhat kidding but I do like the "extras" on a SAK that the Skeletool lacks. Even still, if all I've got (in addition to my EDC Spyderco PM2) is the Skeletool CX, I'm rarely wanting. The one-handed locking blade is awesome.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 05, 2017, 08:42:57 AM

:think:  https://www.victorinox.com/global/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Large-Pocket-Knives/Sentinel-Clip/p/0.8416.M3 Also available partially serrated.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 05, 2017, 09:15:20 AM
Nice one Fivesense

Sooner or later everyone comes to realise that .......

Show content

All you ever need is the power of the SAK  :cheers:  ;) 

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 09:16:55 AM by Huntsman »

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: July 05, 2017, 10:05:12 AM
It's been very interesting to read all the different opinions on this.
Reading them however gave me an idea for what might also be an interesting discussion too:

How often do you choose a Sak or Milti over dedicated tools when you have them (tools) readily available?

From what I've seen a lot of you would always choose primarily a Sak or Multi every time you need a tool, and just go to dedicated ones when those come short for the job... I think... Could be wrong... :think:

I'm really the opposite though... For example, If I'm near tools and I need, say, a screwdriver I don't reach for the Sak in my pocket, I go yo my tools and get a real screwdriver... The same for everything else.

I would love to hear all the different opinions on this too, it also seems an interesting topic to me  :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 10:07:13 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #25 on: July 05, 2017, 12:23:23 PM
 :think:  I usually give my SAK/mt a crack at it before I go to my toolbox.  I'm rapidly reaching the stage of life to which a mag glass is becoming more of a necessity than a luxury so I've my SAK out already.  Maybe it is the MacGyver in me but I really do feel a sense of accomplishment when I tackle a job with a SAK!
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: July 05, 2017, 05:10:17 PM
For work, I tend to reach for what closest, usually my MT. 

For off days, I tend to reach for whats closest, usually my Tinker or Squirt P4 or PW2 but I won't usually push it.

I will always defer to dedicated tools when I think the MT or SAK wont cut it.  This also applies to work.

I did tell a story where I was up on an embankment and really was just lazy to go get a real tool.  I used my Manager on my keyring and was super surprised how well it worked.  I pushed that little guy well beyond what it was meant to do.  I came away impressed and relieve it didn't break.  I wont ever do that again but it was nice to know it took the punishment.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #27 on: July 05, 2017, 06:11:50 PM

:think:  https://www.victorinox.com/global/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Large-Pocket-Knives/Sentinel-Clip/p/0.8416.M3 Also available partially serrated.

Guess I wasn't looking in the right place. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to 111mm.
 :cheers:

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #28 on: July 05, 2017, 06:29:00 PM

I love the Skeletool and for the past 3 years of so I've carried it on a belt loop via the carabiner/bottle opener. It's been fantastic for just about everything I've needed- except when I could have used scissors, tweezers, a magnifying glass, file... Somewhat kidding but I do like the "extras" on a SAK that the Skeletool lacks. Even still, if all I've got (in addition to my EDC Spyderco PM2) is the Skeletool CX, I'm rarely wanting. The one-handed locking blade is awesome.
That's why I always carry a Rambler too . It covers the T&T plus scissors tiny Phillips and extra blade. By far my favorite SAK.

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #29 on: July 05, 2017, 06:33:23 PM

I borrowed a friends 111 but I didn't care for it. The only part I liked was the OHO blade. But it was too bulky imo. I'd rather give up the OHO blade and carry a 91/93mm SAK. They ride much better in pocket.
Plus a single layer like a sentinel, it just not practical. Imo there are better dedicated OHO folders out there.
Now I've seen a mod that someone had swapped a small OHO blade( maybe spyderco)into a 91mm SAK (I think). That would be a pretty cool mod.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%