Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do I need a vice for installing new scales?

00 Offline fivesense

Do I need a vice for installing new scales?
on: July 05, 2017, 07:28:23 PM
No, collecting knives is vice enough...  :drool:

I'll do my first SAK "mod" later this week when I take off the factory cellidor and put on translucent Plus scales on my Explorer. Many of the videos demonstrating this process recommend completing the process with a vice.

Outside of using a bench vice (which I don't have) what is a good hand vice to purchase? Or do I even need one? Would "flattening" the scales between two books be too ridiculously ineffective?

Thank you for the suggestions.
Use your tools and enjoy the Zen of maintaining and sharpening them.

Consider donating a couple bucks to this site. There is no better knife or multitool site anywhere on planet internet.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Do I need a vice for installing new scales?
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 07:58:22 PM
I have swapped some scales. I just press them in place by hand, firmly. Never had a scale falling off.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 08:11:14 PM
I have swapped some scales. I just press them in place by hand, firmly. Never had a scale falling off.

Wow... If you can get the scales to sit perfectly flush with the liners (no gap at all, anywhere) just by pressing them in by hand than...  :hatsoff:  :salute:

While a vice is not essential, from my (little) experience you need something to squeeze/press them in at the rivet points that enables you to apply slow and continuous pressure, hold it there for a while and then slowly relief pressure. Check for gaps between the scale and the liner, if there is any, repeat the process until you get no gaps, or as little as possible.  :cheers:
It does take quite a bit of pressure go get the job done properly
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 08:44:15 PM
I did it by hand, several times. I put it on the table and push down with my wrist.

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 08:48:56 PM
Anymore I just use a C clamp with a doubled over microfiber cloth, works fine. Press them on by hand first, then tighten over each of the pins, but only until you can't see daylight between the scales and liners.  :salute:
IMG_0746.JPG
* IMG_0746.JPG (Filesize: 128.57 KB)

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 09:00:30 PM
Anymore I just use a C clamp with a doubled over microfiber cloth, works fine. Press them on by hand first, then tighten over each of the pins, but only until you can't see daylight between the scales and liners.  :salute:

Thank you- I'll take a look at my clamp/vice options at my local hardware store. I'm glad to know it is likely a simple process.

Consider donating a couple bucks to this site. There is no better knife or multitool site anywhere on planet internet.

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 09:09:25 PM

Thank you- I'll take a look at my clamp/vice options at my local hardware store. I'm glad to know it is likely a simple process.

And probably cheaper than you might think!  :cheers:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 09:11:55 PM
Yeppers  - I've just got a couple of little G-Clamps that I use. Couple of quid from Lidl's I think.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 09:12:22 PM

And probably cheaper than you might think!  :cheers:

I'll toast to that!  :cheers:

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 03:19:43 AM
I ended up picking up a 3-inch clamp on vice for $20. I can use if for plenty of projects and it's moveable so that's a nice option. I picked up some felt on a roll- it's got adhesive so I can cover the jaws to make sure I don't mar the scales. They should arrive later this week so I look forward to giving it a go!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%